four.

my zombie girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a couple of weeks pass and the duo consisting of a human and zombie venture out in search of supplies that the human need. of course, the zombie would often go out with the human's permission to eat. the human friend was hesitant at first but soon just accepted the fact that the zombie still has the hunger.


joohyun and seulgi had been walking on the stagnant streets for hours now. it was still a long way before they could reach the suburbs. seulgi noticed joohyun's slower pace of walking. she was getting exhausted. she also noticed joohyun's trembling knees. seulgi frowns when joohyun didn't rest each time she asked if they should take a break for a few minutes. seulgi was fine with stopping for rest but apparently, joohyun wanted to go straight ahead.


on the other hand, she doesn't find herself tired. she would sometimes realize that she was steps ahead of joohyun, so she takes note that on their walks together she has to slow down.


“pretty..?” seulgi calls out in a clear tone. her speech has been improving thanks to joohyun giving her small lessons and conversing more with her. it earned her voice to be understood without any stutters. although she can't speak in long sentences, joohyun understood her and was thankful for that. it's as if she and the human have a connection.


“seulgi, i-i'm fine.” joohyun pauses her steps to breathe out some air before walking forward again.


“i... i don't think so..” seulgi sighs and holds her tracks, also stopping joohyun with her by a tug on the wrist, pulling the older woman towards her. joohyun rests her eyes closed, her head pressed against seulgi's chest. she could a faint citrus scent combined with a rusty scent of blood, “you are the one carrying that heavy bag yet you're still going. i guess i'm getting too old.” joohyun mumbles and clutches her small hands on seulgi's jacket, “i'm so tired, seulgi..”


in the middle of the road was a woman looking up at a panicking zombie with tired doe eyes. seulgi's arms were raised above her, baffled by the sudden closeness she's experiencing with joohyun, “we should get you some new clothes soon..” joohyun moves away from the bemused zombie. if joohyun only knew how seulgi was feeling during that.


 “seul.”


seulgi snaps out of her daze once she heard her nickname rolls from joohyun's mouth so attractively. she knew she had been called by that a bunch of times by her friends and family she forgot as a result of being a zombie. but the way joohyun says it makes her zombie brain go weak, “y-yes?” seulgi finally said.


“i'm just checking if you're still there.” joohyun covers with her palm to muffle her giggles, “you look like you just saw a ghost.”


seulgi ducks her head down and bites her lower lip, ‘i swear, if she continues being so cute like that—i'll die all over again.’ seulgi looked up when she felt a tap on her shoulder. joohyun was looking at her with a warm smile. seulgi looks away, brushing her nose with her thumb, still flustered. 


“seul, let's go now.” joohyun said and tugged seulgi's sleeves. joohyun vents out a yawn. the zombie stares at joohyun, concerned at the woman's weariness. and so she did something that completely flustered the woman that was now in her arms. seulgi kept a straight face on the outside though she felt embarrassed of her actions in the inside. 


even the woman in her arms was surprised. joohyun had her palms together, her small frame was curled up in the strong arms of the zombie. she felt comfortable somehow, she felt safe and sound as if nothing would happen if she was in seulgi's protective presence, “i-i can walk, seulgi.”


“but.. pre-pretty is tired.. s-she can sleep..”


“a-am i heavy though?” seulgi frowns at the question. she looks at the joohyun who looks back at her. she heeds her attention from joohyun's worried expression to her body. she didn't want to verbally say that joohyun was thin, conscious about the possible insult it may mean. seulgi knew that joohyun had lived for three years already with barely any food, it concerned seulgi at first, but due to the conditions of the world today, she understood. seulgi needs to look for food for her human next time. she wants joohyun to be well.


so seulgi shakes her head with a smile, “nope.” it earned her a sigh of relief from joohyun. she jerks when sudden warmth was around her neck. joohyun wrapped her arms around them. joohyun also rests her head against seulgi's shoulder, gradually closing her eyes. seulgi smiles again and continues to walk with the small human in her arms.


 

 


“pretty.. wake up.” seulgi mumbles, shaking the woman gently. the zombie was having difficulties putting joohyun down due to the grip she has on her. joohyun's sleeping figure doesn't want to let go. they were in front of a family-sized house, looking pretty unraided. at least seulgi hopes it isn't. seulgi heaves out a sigh and opened the door of an empty house with a grunt since she had to reach her occupied hands to the doorknob. she opened it slowly, the quiet creaking sound greeting her ears.


‘this girl.’


seulgi steps inside the house, closing the door behind her with a foot. she scanned the area—the living room for any signs of living or undead. the room had a lot of decorations and was furnished properly as if it wasn't touched by anything for the past three years. it was fairly clean—except for the small cobwebs on the corners. she looked at the couch on the left and walked towards it, planning to lay joohyun down on it once she finally lets go of her.


she looked at joohyun once again, sleeping peacefully upon her, “pr-pretty..” soon enough the familiar dark eyes meet with seulgi's. joohyun's hands were now placed just on seulgi's shoulders. the zombie guessed that joohyun was still a bit sleepy, making faint whimpering sounds. and now that joohyun let's go of her, seulgi now places joohyun's drowsy state on the soft cushions of the couch. 


“seulgi..” joohyun whispers, “thank you.”


seulgi nods saying that it wasn't a big deal dropping the back on the floor, she turns her head to the kitchen area. she wanted to check if there was any edible food there. would there be chances of food being expired? yes. she just needs to pick the right one. even fruits and small snacks would be fine. she just wants joohyun to eat more. at least today.


she leaves joohyun in the living room, walking to the kitchen. the dozy woman on the couch eyes seulgi's figure with curiosity. joohyun sat up and rubbed her drooping eyelids. her body sinks on the couch when she lays her back on the soft pillows behind her. she looked around the room for any item that could be of use. 


until she found a very helpful one. 


her eyes widened when she saw it, waking her straight up from her drowsy state. what she saw above the fireplace of the living room was a walky-talky. it looked like oddly new, definitely an upgraded version, different from the ones she had used before. she ran up towards the item that had a little note on it. it read: if you see this, go to channel 4 and contact us right away. it would be her chance to be saved or at least that's what she expects.


she removes the sticky note on the device, reading it once again, “channel four, huh.” 


“pr-pretty?” joohyun looked over to seulgi who was holding a bunch of canned products. joohyun's mouth gapes, surprises by the amount, “w-where did you get that?” seulgi puckers her lips to the direction of the kitchen. seulgi drops the canned products carefully on the coffee table in front of the couch. 


seulgi looks at the device in joohyun's hand, “pretty..? is that?” seulgi points at the walky-talky. she realized that it could be a possibility that joohyun might leave her. the device would be the rope to joohyun's sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter