one

Amaranthus • Mingyu x Wonwoo

 

The night was fresh and new as he opened his tired heavy eyes. The first thing he thought of was the same thing that consumed his consciousness every time he woke. The thing he craved for, lusted over, the one thing that fuelled his existence.

 

Not blood but his crown.

 

He needed the blood as well though. No matter where he found it he was never satisfied. Condemned to a life devoid of satiety Mingyu wandered the world with his band of brothers never knowing what if was to be full. The Vagrant Prince they called him, a king without a kingdom, a Prince without a crown, his royal bloodline all he had to his name.

 

“It’s cold tonight,” he called out and he heard a giggle. The sound was cute and carried on the wind blowing through the condemned warehouse but the figure that followed the voice was anything but. His first lieutenant, Junhui, was beautiful and frightening, limber and skilled and smart. “It is cold. Won’t be many people on the streets. Better for them.”

 

“Yeah, but I’m sick of being hungry.” Mingyu stood up from the cement floor and shook himself off. They called him the Vagrant Prince and he definitely looked the part. His tattered fur coat was dusty from the bare concrete bed on the floor of the abandoned warehouse they’d taken up residence in and a few leaves were stuck to his hair. “You’re a mess,” Junhui’s smile softened into fondness as he helped his Prince fix himself up.

 

“Dinner time!” a voice echoed though the building and Junhui cringed. “It’s awake,” he said just in time as a ball of energy barrelled in through the open doorway. “Where the did you get that?” Mingyu began to laugh when he saw what his second Lieutenant was wearing. “What?” the sharp eyed vampire brushed his hands down the front of the tiger print sweater he’d found in a charity bin the night before. “It’s my spirit guide and I’m proud of it. You’re just jealous.”

 

“Soonyoung, I can assure you, I’m definitely not jealous of your animal guide.” Junhui twisted the snake bracelet, his only family relic, around his wrist. “I’m quite happy with mine. What better animal for a vampire than a snake?” They began to laugh and then stopped when they watched Mingyu fuss with his fox fur coat. “I don’t care,” he said as he understood their sudden reticence. “Nothing wrong with a fox for a Prince. You can keep your tiger and your snake.”

 

They headed out into the black of night to hunt. They were gentle and careful, never taking too much, definitely never killing them. They were always conservative and only took what they needed to move on to the next place. Sometimes Mingyu dreamed of the places they would go, sometimes they moved on out of necessity, but it was always the same. He was their Prince and they went where he wanted. They always trusted his intuition.

 

 

 

He wrapped the fox fur tighter around himself and wondered when his guide would come to him. He’d been waiting for six hundred and twenty two years and he was ready. His memory of the past, so long ago, was fuzzy but he knew he would restore his kingdom one day. He just had to wait until the right time. His fox would come to him and lead him in the right direction; wherever that was. It wasn’t going to be tonight. He could feel the lack of energy in the crisp clear air. The full moon wasn’t essential but it did sharpen his senses and the barely waxing moon overhead was making it hard to scent any prey.

 

He stood still and breathed in deep and sensed a warm body east. His eyes indicated the silent plan to his army who flanked him. They moved imperceptibly through the night and found the lone jogger on a path and he was immobilised in seconds.

 

“You drink first my Prince,” Soonyoung’s eyes glittered with the excitement of food and an uncharacteristic deference as Mingyu took the first mouthful. Junhui went second and swallowed thickly before leaning in for another mouthful. “No,” Mingyu growled a little and pulled him back so Soonyoung could take his share as well. “Don’t forget about the babies,” he said and they each took a second mouthful and held it as they ran home through the night.

 

“Prince Mingyu?” the baby vampire blinked lazily, dazed, as the tallest of the group shook him by the shoulder. When he saw his prince leaning over him the baby vampire opened his mouth willingly and accepted the warm mouthful straight from his prince’s lips. “Thank you,” he gasped as he swallowed the thick life giving liquid and Mingyu smiled down at his second youngest. “How do you feel today Hansol?” he asked and the baby vampire stretched his limbs and lay back down on the bare mattress pushed against the wall. “Stronger, a little, and I almost got a vision of my spirit animal.” “That’s great!” Mingyu beamed at him and the baby smiled back.

 

Mingyu looked around the room and saw Seungkwan in Soonyoung’s lap slowly taking his share and Junhui and Chan in the corner giggling. Chan was always the fastest eater. He was the youngest but growing in power every day and with every mouthful of blood Seungkwan became more beautiful with a song that could lure any soul to its death. As soon as they were grown they would all be formidable additions to the Vagrant Prince’s kingdom.

 

The life of a baby vampire was hard. Pureblood vampires, born not turned, were abandoned at birth and wandered alone until an established family took them in or they died. With the vampires on the edge of extinction the odds of them being adopted were almost none.

 

Mingyu had been lucky enough to find Seungkwan and Chan hidden from the daylight in a cave deep inside a forest when they were still very new. Hansol had been rescued from the edge of death burning up on a shoreline one damp and cold dawn. He was recovering from the trauma, patiently and slowly, but he would live. Mingyu looked around and admired his family which had now doubled from three to six and longed for the day when he would have his kingdom restored. When the crown he coveted was returned to him and he could give his subjects safety and security.

 

 

“Where are we going next?” Seungkwan asked. He was adventurous and energetic and was a good match for Mingyu. He was happy mentoring the baby vampire who’s enthusiasm for wandering matched his own. “I don’t know,” their prince admitted. “I need the fox to come to me and lead me in the right path.”

 

He didn’t know yet what that path was. With the entire kingdom wiped out by events prior to his memory and his scant subjects scattered over a huge territory Mingyu didn’t know where to start. He longed for the day when the fox would guide him onto the right path, the path to restoration, the path to the missing pieces of his life.

 

He suddenly felt very tired as the questions that had plagued him for hundreds of years remained unanswered and he pulled his fox fur tight around his shoulders. Junhui sensed the need in his prince and moved closer to him, clinging on to him for the little warmth they could share, the gift of touch all he could give him.

 

“Let’s just sleep,” Junhui said and dragged Mingyu to a dark corner where a small stained mattress was pushed against the wall. They curled up together as Soonyoung took the babies deeper into the warehouse and, just as the sun was rising, they all fell asleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

”Wake up..” Mingyu squinted and then blinked to focus on Soonyoung leaning over him, shaking him excitedly. “Wake up. The tiger says go East!”

 

Mingyu groaned. Soonyoung’s close connection with his animal guide frustrated Mingyu endlessly. He wished he was more in tune with his powers but he always felt like something in him was blocking it, like there was a switch to be flicked or a conduit to be connected. “East?” he asked and Soonyoung nodded. “Are you sure? I don’t want the babies moved around too much.” Mingyu was fiercely protective of their brood of baby vampires and travelling was hard on them and dangerous as well.

 

“Mingyu how long have we been together?” Soonyoung crouched down close to Mingyu’s face and the other smiled showing his pointed canines. “Forever Soonyoung,” he whispered, “We’ve always been together.”

 

That wasn’t entirely true. Soonyoung and Junhui were born at the same time far north from where Mingyu was born. Their parents had abandoned them together which had ensured their survival and they flourished during their youth. A young Soonyoung’s first visit from his guide had led to the two youth finding their prince near death and chained to a tree deep inside a forest.

 

Scenting the powerful royal bloodline within him they’d fallen to their knees immediately, but their desperation to save him soon bred a warm familiarity. They’d hunted for him every night for seventeen days before he was able to feed himself. They’d been together ever since and this was hundreds of years ago. Mingyu had no memories prior to that moment when his world began with the rescue by his Lieutenants.

 

He’d be dead without them. He’d relied on them to nurse him back from the edge of death and he’d relied on them ever since. Without the older vampires Mingyu would be a faded pile of ashen dust. He was still relying on them now, especially Soonyoung’s connection to his magic and Junhui’s connection to the soul. He needed them more than ever. Despite his jealousy he listened to them and took their advice to heart.

 

 

 

They packed their meagre possessions and began to move through the night. It was cold,  cold enough to make the vampire prince shiver, and the moon was waxing but not nearly at its peak. “Are you sure you know where you’re going?” Mingyu tried not to let the uncertainty sound through his voice and Soonyoung reached out to pat his shoulder. “Trust me my Prince. The tiger came to me and told me to go East. We’ll find a cave to sleep in and then continue on tomorrow night. There’s something out there to help us.”

 

The luck of the moon was shining on them. They found a sleeping tent of campers, enough for each vampire to take a full feed and also feed their foster baby, and not far beyond that a cave as Soonyoung described. They settled in at the back, coats and jackets becoming pillows and blankets, and Mingyu wrapped his fox fur tight around him as he lulled himself into a fitful sleep.

 

 

 

 

When the moon rose and the sun dipped the little band of vagrants rose again. The babies seemed a little stronger tonight, the big feed the night before had done them all some good, and they set off at a brisk pace with Soonyoung leading the way.

 

They stalked through the forest at an easy human pace. While the elder vampires were inhumanly fast the babies weren’t yet and they needed to conserve their strength to heal and grow. Mingyu’s mind wandered as they walked and he trusted his lieutenants to keep focus. He felt like something was blossoming into existence inside him, something faint and intangible for the moment, something he hoped would roar to life when the moon was full again. His instinct told him Soonyoung was right and east was the way to go to find whatever he was looking for. It was almost impossible to search for something when you don’t know what it it.

 

“It’s near…” Soonyoung’s voice permeated the darkness making Mingyu look over. “I’m going to find it.” “I’ll go with him,” Mingyu said as he got up and brushed the dirt form his clothing. “Stay here and guard the babies.” Junhui nodded his agreement as the two vampires slipped out of the cave into the darkness of the silent forest.

 

 

“It’s going to be fine you know,” Soonyoung said when it was just the two of them. “You’re doing an excellent job of keeping us safe. We’ll find what we’re searching for soon.” Mingyu wanted to believe him. “I’ve been dragging you all over the world searching for something and I don’t even know what it its,” Mingyu groaned a little as he let his childlike side show. He would only act like this in front of Soonyoung. Never in front of anyone else. Even though he didn’t have a kingdom he was still their Prince and had to act like one.

 

 

He just wished they could release this block on their magic. It was affecting him the most. If he could just gather up all his remaining vampire subjects maybe their magic would find strength and renewal in numbers.

 

 

 

 

“Shhh….” Soonyoung stopped him from walking further. “I sense something.” Mingyu inhaled and shivered immediately. “Vampire,” he said and Soonyoung nodded. “Over there..”

 

He grabbed Mingyu by the arm and led him towards a clearing where an old beat-up van sat alone. “We should approach with caution,” Soonyoung was careful but Mingyu was buoyed by the thought of another to join their family.

 

“Hey!” he called out loudly as his legs made long strides towards the van. “Hey! Anyone home?”

 

The sliding door opened and a vampire climbed out and when he saw the two walking towards him he dropped to his knees immediately. Mingyu was elated as he rushed forward. Another vampire, adult and healthy and strong, this would tip the balance in their favour.

 

“I’m turned not born,” the vampire said as they drew near. “Help me please. I can’t remember my maker and I don’t know where he is.” Mingyu reached out and pulled him up by the arm. “Something happened to us,” he said as the new vampire looked up at him with golden glowing eyes. “Something happened and we can’t remember.” Mingyu smiled down at him and the other collapsed again. “You’re our Prince. I can smell it in you,” the turned vampire stared in awe at his ruler and Mingyu’s smile was warm at the young vampires reverence. “Yes, I am, and you’re safe now. Come and meet the others.”

 

“Soonyoung is my name, and my guide is the tiger, nice to meet you!” Soonyoung’s bright grin was quickly mirrored by the other vampire’s glowing smile. “I’m Seokmin and my guide is the lion!”

 

The two embraced and held it for a long time and Mingyu wondered if there was some connection long forgotten. “Where did you get the van?” Seokmin smiled a gleaming white smile that reminded Mingyu of the sun. “I accidentally took too much from a camper so I had to get rid of the other one too. It was a huge mistake. I took the van and, so far, haven’t had any problems.” Mingyu smiled at him and hugged him too. A new soldier for his little army of brothers was exactly what they needed. He could tell this one was strong in body and spirit. “Come on,” he said brightly, “come and meet the others.”

 

 

 

 

“A new brother!” Seungkwan stumbled over his own feet as he ran towards the front of the cave. “Cute,” Seokmin said as he embraced the baby vampire and the others flocked around them. “I have a van, we can drive,” Seokmin said as he looked around at the strange and ragged band of brothers. “Do you know where you are going?” He looked to Mingyu for guidance and was met with a dour expression. “No,” Mingyu said, “I’m not sure. I need the fox to show me the way but he won’t appear.”

 

“Maybe you just need some alone time, time to think,” Seokmin said with one of the bright smiles that were fast becoming his trademark and Mingyu nodded. He wished the others optimism would rub off on him somehow. “We’ll stay here another night. Seokmin, bring your van here, we can hide it and start moving on tomorrow night. Hopefully the fuller moon will help us.” “I’ll go with him,” Soonyoung was beside the new member quicker than you could blink and they headed out into the darkness.

 

“He’s wonderful,” Junhui said in awe. “We have Soonyoung to thank for him. He’s very connected to the tiger and it was the tiger who showed us the way.” “The fox will come,” Junhui reached out and played with a strand of Mingyu’s dark hair, “you just have to let him.”

 

Mingyu wanted to cry.

 

 

 

 

The next night the older vampires went to find food and Mingyu decided to stay at the cave and guard the babies. He was feeling especially moody and he wanted to grasp at the feeling that it wasn’t him. That the real Prince inside was joyful and alive and truly vital. He just wished he could unlock his spiritual nature and with that the key to who he truly was.

 

 

“I just need the moon for a while,” he called out to the babies huddled in the back of the cave. They needed to feed and it was making them feel cold. He didn’t want to leave them but he had to get out for a while and his feet drove him to the entrance and down a little mossy hill. He didn’t need to go far.

 

 

Mingyu looked up at the sky, drinking in the moon’s light and energy, and closed his eyes. His face felt warm with the moonlight beaming down on him and when he opened them he felt a little dizzy. He turned towards a tree to steady himself and his hand brushed a plant with long dark purple flower clusters.

 

‘Amaranthus…’ the wind whispered to him and he suddenly felt tired.

 

The Vagrant Prince sank to the ground amongst the pale green leaves and let the whisper of the wind through their leaves sooth him. He couldn’t sleep, he knew that, and he was close enough to sense any danger near the cave where his babies were hiding. But he closed his eyes anyway and breathed in the life force surrounding him as he relaxed back into the bushes. The long flowers tickled his skin and the name ‘Prince’s Feather’ came to mind. Were they trying to tell him something?

 

His eyes opened with a start and he saw the fox waiting for him. Finally. His heart began to beat like wildfire in his chest as the wind blew up and the Amaranthus swirled around him. The fox moved closer and he could hear it, its breathing making the Amaranthus billow and whirl around him like a cloud of plum and violet. The fox was grey, not red like he expected, it was beautifully sharp eyed and bowed down to him as he reached a hand out.

 

 

 

Northeast, towards the ocean, travel northeast through the forest. Avoid the cities where many people gather.

 

When you reach a thick oak forest you will find a building heavily guarded. Wait for an opportunity to slip into the citadel on the cliff overlooking the sea. You will find your crown there, my Prince, surrounded by Amaranthus and feathers and shades of the ocean.

 

Find your crown. Hold on to it. Clutch it close, covet it, treasure it.

 

Do whatever it takes.

 

 

 

 

Mingyu didn’t realise he’d fallen asleep until he shook his head and cleared it. Had he fallen asleep though? Or just wandered into a magical haze of deep purple petals and soft grey fur. His chest hurt and his head was still a little foggy but the memory of his meeting was burned into his consciousness.

 

He knew where to go at last.

 

Soonyoung’s eyes were shining when the group returned. “Our new star hunter!” He proudly clapped Seokmin on the back and pushed him forward to let the babies crowd around and get some blood. Junhui fed Hansol and Seokmin fed the other two with the life giving liquid he held in his mouth. “I have even better news,” Mingyu was practically glowing and when Soonyoung realised he leapt into his arms with a squeal. “It came to you! The fox, it came to you, I can tell!” Mingyu nodded and they all gathered around him to hear the story.

 

“We need to travel northeast towards the ocean. When we find a thick oak forest we have to make our way through it. Inside a citadel my crown waits for me but it will be heavily guarded. The fox said to wait for the right opening to slip inside.”

 

“Northeast,” Soonyoung mused, “the tiger led us East and we found Seokmin and now we keep going towards the ocean. Wonderful!” he clapped his hands and jumped up and Mingyu pulled him back down to sit beside him. “Not now,” he laughed as he felt lighter and happier than he ever had before. “We need to rest and wait for tomorrow night.” “Do you need to feed?” Junhui asked him and he shook his head. Mingyu wouldn’t need blood tonight. He felt stronger than ever.

 

 

 

The next night the moon was even fuller, her glow making its slow way towards the full wax, her pale luminescence blessing the faces of seven excited vampires. “Road trip!” Soonyoung yelled loudly, his voice echoing through the silent forest, as he herded the three baby vampires into the back row of the van.

 

“Blankets!” Chan cried out when he found some folded blankets underneath the seat and he immediately snuggled into a pile of them with Hansol and Seungkwan. Hansol grumbled a little about being too warm before falling asleep again in the middle. It made Mingyu feel proud. Hansol was growing so much stronger every day. Chan, the youngest, was still cold all the time but the other two were starting to strengthen. Travelling long distances safely was nothing but a dream until they found Seokmin and his van.

 

 

 

“Ready?” Soonyoung asked. Junhui had already climbed into the second row with delight written all over his handsome face. He was stunningly beautiful, the epitome of warm vampire beauty, and Mingyu nodded. “I’ll sit with Junhui. You keep Seokmin company up front.” No one else was game to try and drive the van and Seokmin had assured them all he was confident. Mingyu waited until Soonyoung was settled in the front seat before turning back towards the cave. He gathered an armful of the amaranth growing beside it, shades of rich royal purple filing his fingers, and shoved a pile of the flowers into the van.

 

“Thank you,” he said aloud to the night, to the darkness they crept in and the moon who blessed them, and most of all to his guide who finally came to him. To each and every step that led him to his little band of brothers and forward into his resurrection.

 

He was grateful to them all.

 

 

 

As the van pulled away onto a dirt track through the forest Mingyu began to weave the amaranth into a glorious crown of green and purple to save the place of his real one. He wondered what it looked like.

 

 

 

“We need fuel,” Seokmin said as they roared down the highway spewing a trail of white smoke. “How do you know?” Soonyoung asked and Seokmin pointed at the orange light in the dash. “This light tells me. We can probably go for another half hour or so….”

 

“Wow…” Soonyoung was utterly and unashamedly fascinated. The other six were all born and abandoned as all baby vampires were. They’d never had a turned vampire with them before, one who knew remnants and shards of the life before, one who knew more than the taste of blood and the shining radiance of the moon. One who had felt the warmth of sunlight on his skin.

 

“You’re so cool Seokminnie,” Soonyoung giggled and Mingyu laughed from the seat behind him. Soonyoung had always been a little lost and it was wonderful to see him make a real connection with another creature. He could feel the brotherhood strengthening within his group and it was exhilarating. All the years of struggle were about to peak and his endurance would be rewarded with the return of his crown and a balance to the world of vampires again. His magic was going to come back. He could just tell.

 

 

“So where do we get this fuel then?” Junhui asked as he leaned his forehead against the cool glass of the window. “There!” Seokmin pointed to a light ahead illuminating a service station by the side of the road. “Humans? No way Seokmin. And we don’t have any human money.” “Don’t worry about it,” Seokmin waved off Mingyu’s concerns with a hand. “I’ve done this stuff before heaps of times.”

 

 

He pulled the van over and got out to pump the petrol. Mingyu’s nerves were all on fire as he turned back and saw their three babies still asleep. “Stay here and guard them with your life,” Mingyu said to the other two as he fought his fears and got out of the van.

 

“It’s fine, just watch me…” Seokmin finished filing up and replaced the petrol cap. Mingyu’s dead heart was beating wildly as he followed Seokmin’s quiet confidence into the service station’s building. “Hi,” he waved politely to the man behind the counter.

 

 

He wandered over and pretended to look at the drinks before eying a tall stand of stuffed toys. “Look!” he grabbed Mingyu’s arm and reached up to pull the tiger plushie down. “Soonyoung would love this.”

 

Seokmin wandered casually along the aisle as Mingyu’s nerves tingled through every muscle in his body. “We need to run,” he hissed to Seokmin as he watched the cashier watching them but Seokmin was unfazed. “Can you eat anything from here?” Mingyu shook his head. None of the born vampires could even put human food in their mouths. Seokmin shrugged and picked up a cola flavoured Chupa Chup before striding boldly towards the man behind the counter.

 

“We were never here..” he said as he leaned over the counter and stared in the cashier’s eyes. “You were never here…” the man repeated, dazed, and Mingyu’s mouth gaped open. “Did you see anyone in here tonight?” Seokmin asked him again and the man shook his head. “I haven’t seen anyone.” “Awesome! Come on!” he grabbed Mingyu by the arm and pulled him towards the exit.

 

Mingyu’s body only relaxed as they drove away. “So how did you do that,” he finally piped up and Seokmin shrugged. “It’s hard to explain. I don’t know if it’s just me or if it’s because I’m turned not born but I can just kind of…” his voice tapered off as he struggled to articulate what just happened. “I can just feel their brains? And twist that a little?” he shrugged at the incredulity of his own explanation and smiled brighter than the sun when his eyes caught Soonyoung rubbing his cheek against the soft tiger toy.

 

 

Mingyu wondered if out of all of them he was the one least in tune with his magic. Soonyoung’s tiger came to him regularly and almost willingly. Hansol’s animal would appear to him soon as well; Mingyu could tell. Seokmin’s powers as a turned vampire were incredible and fascinating and Junhui’s beauty was completely otherworldly. And he, their Prince and leader, was constantly struggling just to get them on the right path.

 

“Don’t feel bad.” Junhui, ever the empath, reached out and held his hand. “You’ll get stronger the closer we get to your crown.” Mingyu blinked back dry tears of blood as he stared out the window. He wanted to curl up and hide but he instead tried to focus on the warm caress of Junhui’s hand on his as they sped down the highway towards his redemption. They stopped without feeding and found an abandoned farm house with a big garage to hide their van. The vampires piled into the bathroom, in the middle of the house, and hung all their heaviest coats up at the one small window to keep the daylight out.

 

 

 

Mingyu was the first one to wake the next night and he shook out his thick fox fur and wrapped it around his shoulders. He woke with a strange sense of excitement, a fluttering in his stomach, and shook the others gently. “I’m hungry,” Chan whined and Mingyu felt sad. He needed to provide for them a little better but had to balance that with their need to travel.

 

He had been walking this world so long with Soonyoung and Junhui beside him. He couldn’t even remember how many hundreds of years. The babies had been with them for such a short period but even that felt like an eternity. It was all coming to a peak now; he could feel it, his stomach churning and his skin tingling with an unknown sense of anticipation. So many years of searching for his crown and he could feel it right at his fingertips.

 

 

 

“What do you think this citadel will be like?” he asked Junhui as they wandered the forest towards a strange scent of salt. “I don’t know. Maybe it’s just a big castle, all turrets and towers, and we walk inside and find your crown sitting on a golden throne!” Junhui’s imagination was as winsome and beguiling as his face and Mingyu turned to him in delight. “And the castle has no windows! And we can gather as many babies as we can find!”

 

 

“Sleep all day, cool and dark, run all night out here in the wild…” Junhui was drawn in to Mingyu’s excited energy and thoughts of what their life could be like here. “Grow our kingdom,” Mingyu said and Junhui grabbed his arm as he shook his head. “Your kingdom,” his eyes glowed amber then green then dark with emotion and Mingyu pulled him into a hug. “No,” he said, overwhelmed with gratitude, “our kingdom. Anything I have is because of you and Soonyoung. I just hope there is a way to repay you some day.”

 

“Repay me with your love my Prince!” Junhui laughed and teased as he skipped ahead of him and Mingyu cringed. They were supposed to looking for food and there was no hope of that with Junhui making such a ruckus.

 

 

“Shhhh….” Junhui suddenly hissed. He dropped to the dirt and moved behind a bush and Mingyu quickly followed suit. His nose tested the air, finding the scent of salt and sea and ozone, the rich aroma of thunderstorms and loamy earth and a hint of roses carried on the wind. It was strange and unsettling but also somehow right, like it was a thread of his past waiting to be unravelled, and he wanted desperately to pluck at the string.

 

His entire spine tingled as they burrowed further into the bush and watched. Two figures, cloaked and garbed from head to toe in shades of green and grey like the forest, padded past them on bare feet. They had silver bows on their backs and quivers on their hips and their movements screamed silently of stealth.

 

One was tall with particularly pointed ears and the other only half an inch shorter with glowing green eyes like a cat. Their hoods covered their hair but their faces were beautiful and otherworldly, like nothing Mingyu had ever seen, beguiling and enticing like no human could be.

 

 

 

“Wait,” Mingyu hissed almost silently as Junhui wanted to move towards them. His features were stunned into a strange kind of trance and his nose twitched in the air. It was taking all of his own self-control not to rush from the bushes and throw himself at their feet and he held tight to Junhui’s arm as a way of grounding them both.

 

“I hear something,” the taller said as he stopped still and drew the hood of his cloak back. “Friend or prey Minghao?” the other asked as his growing eyes flashed in the darkness and the moonlight revealed the elegantly pointed ears on each side of the taller’s head.

 

His hair was a thick mop of fluffy brown and longer than a vampire would ever wear. The other’s was similar, golden brown and warm, silken rather than fluffy as he dropped his hood as well. “Neither,” the tall one said and clutched the hand of the other. “We need to keep moving Jisoo. The Prince would like a stag.”

 

 

 

They were gone before Mingyu could blink. His memory became instantly fuzzy, a distorted image of two stunningly lovely creatures, garbed in green and silver as they flitted away through the forest. He was both dumbfounded and amazed, he had no words for what he saw, but even more curious were the tears streaming down Junhui’s face. Mingyu reached out and wiped his hands through the thick bloody streaks running rivulets down his lieutenant’s perfect skin as the vampire curled up and cried in the darkness.

 

“What exactly was that?” Mingyu choked back a sob.

 

“Faeries,” Junhui replied as he wiped the blood from his own cheeks and shivered in the cold damp night.