She Left

In hindsight

 

 

SHE LEFT.

Chapter II

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                  Right after Shihyun’s plane landed, Shihyun took a cab to his penthouse in New York to drop his luggage. After doing so, Shihyun headed down to Jessica’s favorite Thursday diner.

If there was something Shihyun was grateful for, it was Jessica’s inclination for patterns and routines it made stalking so much easier for him. Shihyun laughed at his thoughts as he settled down into one of the more clandestine tables of the diner, waiting for Jessica to make an appearance.

Looking at his wrist watch, he started counting the seconds, minutes, and hours that passed, and as the clock hands struck 8 pm, Shihyun figured that Jessica was probably occupied with something important for her to miss her weekly Thursday dinner.

Deciding that waiting any longer would be fruitless; Shihyun called for the waiter in order to settle his bill, he collected himself and adjusted his coat. Making sure that he was ready to brave the cold New York eve.

Bzzt! Shihyun’s attention was directed from the pavement to his coat pocket as he walked out of the diner and into the streets.

Taking his phone from its confine, Shihyun was greeted with an ongoing call from his business partner who also happens to be his best friend, Lee Yujin better known as Ailee.

“Hey Ailee.” Shihyun casually said as he answered the call.

“Lucas Moon Shihyun! Are you in America?!” and twice in record time, Shihyun had to put distance between his ear and his phone in order to keep his hearing.

“Well good to hear from you too Ailee.” Shihyun chuckled somehow awkwardly, he knew Ailee didn’t approve of his timely visits to New York. Well, no one actually has ever expressed approval for his costly vice.

“Luke really... This should stop. Ailee hearing the hesitance in Shihyun’s voice, calmed down and shifted gears in contrast to her initial approach. Hoping that this one worked better.

“I know Ailee, I’m sorry Shihyun scratched the back of his head as he waited for the pedestrian light signal to turn green.

“Shihyun please please stop doing this to yourself. Shes not worth it. Shihyun sighed, this conversation was not a first for him and Ailee, and in fact they’ve had this conversation so frequently that one would think that it was a running inside joke between the two of them and not a topic they’ve both debated so passionately about and yet remains to be fruitless.

“Ailee, you know that she will always be worth it for me.” Shihyun stubbornly replied, he knew that he was acting like a fool but what else could he do about it? What else would keep him sane?

“Stop being so stubborn you’re wasting your time, your money, and your love for her. Shihyun please you’ll only hurt yourself more.” Shihyun felt millions of miniscule needles prick at his heart as his eyes watered. Hearing Ailee’s sniffles from the other side of the line, Shihyun once again realized how thankful he was for having a friend who was so committed to his wellbeing but he also felt guilt for the frustration and pain he and his heartbreak has caused Ailee.

“I know Ailee and Im thankful because I know youll be there to bring me the beer Ill need at the end of the day. Shihyun pitifully joked, trying to lighten the atmosphere from the gloom and pain they both shared as the ones who were left behind by the people they loved.

“You’re really frustrating.” Shihyun laughed at Ailee’s discomfort, clearly seeing how she understood him and where he was coming from so perfectly but was trying her hardest not to.

“Well If you could just love me- Shihyun jokingly began.

“And if you could just love me that would be the time Id commit murder and then suicide. Ailee seriously ended, after which both Shihyun and Ailee burst out laughing.

“But seriously Luke when will you be back to Seoul? Shihyun briefly removed his phone from beside his ear in order to look at his calendar and flight details.

“I’ll be there on the 22nd.” Shihyun placed the phone back beside his ear.

“Well when youre back, head straight for my apartment, Ive got whiskey to whisk your tears away. Shihyun laughed at Ailee’s bland attempt at a joke.

“Alright Ailee, thank you. I’ll see you.” Shihyun expressed his gratitude for his best friend that supported him ever since 2012.

“Alright, take care Luke. Love you.” Shihyun smiled as the call ended. He was just arriving in the building of his penthouse, it wasn’t that long of a walk but his conversation with Ailee made all the fatigue of the flying hours, the waiting, the walking, and his emotions rush to him and overwhelm him in a bitter-sweet sense.

Putting his phone back to his pocket and entering the lobby lift, Shihyun smiled bitterly as he awaited the moment he would see Jessica again.

 

 

Jessica cursed herself for having slept through her alarm, normally she wouldn’t mind being late to class because she was always somehow able to manage but not today, for today was the day she would pass her portfolio to her professor, which would make or break her career as a fashion designer, well not really but still it mattered to her a lot.

                  Jessica tried to keep her bags attached to her body as she rushed down her flat and into the busy New York street.

                  “Hey, watch where you’re going!” Jessica grimaced as she almost toppled over and fell on the pavement.

                  “I’m sorry!” Jessica turned towards the stranger she bumped into and also almost injured, smiling apologetically and bowing—which was a Korean manner. Jessica grabbed her bags and continued to rush towards the avenue.

                  “Taxi!” never has it ever occurred to Jessica years ago that her voice would be useful in hailing taxis, but here she was waving her hands like a lunatic and raising her C octaves to get one.

                  “Parsons, School of Design please.” Jessica hastily shuffled into the back seat of the taxi as she told the driver her destination.

                  Looking out through her windows and figuring they still had 15 minutes of travel time, Jessica closed her eyes and started going over the things she had to remember for her portfolio, and in doing so it seemed that it didn’t take too long for the cab to stop at her destination.

                  “Thank you!” Jessica handed the cab fare to the driver and rushed out of the vehicle. Finding herself at the front of the nearest Coffee Shop, just right across the fields of Parsons Perfect.

                  Readjusting the straps of her bag that was currently hanging onto her petite body, Jessica narrowed her eyes at the long line of the morning-goers that was currently crowding the place where she got her favorite latte every school morning.

                  Contemplating if she should get in line and risk being even later or if she should head to her class and risk falling asleep in said class.

                  “Miss Jung, here’s your order!” Jessica got broken out of her reverie to the kind smile of the barista currently holding Jessica’s go to order.

“Oh thank God, You’re heaven sent!” Jessica smiled thankfully at the barista whom prepared her drink ahead of time, probably foreseeing that Jessica would be late, which she usually was.

“I’ll pay later, thank you so much” Jessica smiled and waved as she drank some of her coffee and rushed across the pedestrian lane, almost getting hit by a car or two in the process.

Honk! Honk! Jessica turned towards the source of the sound and stuck out her tongue.

“Crazy!” Jessica just laughed as the very same car that almost became her murder weapon sped away, stopping lightly to catch her breath and still laughing at her close encounter with death and at the sudden adrenaline rush.

‘This morning really is something’ Jessica calmed and composed herself, taking another moment to breathe as she admired the scenic view New York had to offer.

Feeling as though she was being watched, Jessica looked back at the coffee shop she just came from Her eyes squinted, checking if someone was indeed watching her.

True to her gut, there was a man standing right across from her, at the other end of the long pedestrian lane. Her heart dropped and she took a step forward trying to identify the person she was sure was looking at her Jessica squinted her eyes, her heart palpitating wildly as she tried to observe the familiar figure over the passing cars.

“Jessie!” Jessica was brought out of her contemplations as her name was called.

Temporarily forgetting the reason of her stillness in motion, she turned her head to the direction of the voice only to see her best friend rushing towards her.

“Oh, Olivia. Hi!” waving with her only free hand, Jessica smiled at one of the few friends she’s had in the 3 years of her life here in New York.

“What are you doing standing there? You’re super late girl!” Jessica grimaced at the shrill of Olivia’s voice.

“But-” just as she was about to explain, Jessica was halted by a finger muting her lips, “No ‘but’s Jess come, Ive got to get you to Mr. Brooks class.

Jessica was helplessly dragged towards her class, but as she was being man-handled by her best friend, she looked back towards the other end of the pedestrian lane to find that the familiar figure that was standing there was gone.

Turning her head back towards where Olivia was dragging her, Jessica shook her head figuring that it was just a figment of her imagination.

Lately she’s been imagining things, she really should talk to Tom, especially since it’s been weeks since they last saw each other.

 

 

Unbeknownst to Jessica, the subject of her scrutiny just a few moments ago was actually not a figment of her imagination but exactly who she thought it was.

As a matter of fact, he was the first customer of the very same coffee shop where Jessica got her latte from. He had been there first thing in the morning, waiting for her to arrive, and he had been there to see her getting out of the cab, to see her contemplate if she should brave the long line for a cup of Joe and be late.

Which thankfully Shihyun had foreseen as he had already ordered what he knew to be her usual drink and asked the barista to give his order to Jessica when he saw that she had arrived.

Watching Jessica's reaction as she expressed her gratitude to the barista made Shihyun's day.

He stood and tried to follow her with his sight as Jessica moved. He watched as she ran across the pedestrian lane.

Shihyun felt his heart stop and ran towards the cross walk as Jessica almost got hit by a speeding car.

Honk! Honk! Shihyun looked at the car who almost killed Jessica and tried to calm himself as he came to a halt in front of the Pedestrian lane, it would do no good for him to start a fight in the middle of the Manhattan traffic.

"Crazy!" Shihyun watched as the car sped away with vigor, shifting his line of sight from the leaving car to Jessica, Shihyun chuckled as he saw her stick her tongue out as a provocation to the driver that had just left.

"Still so beautiful..." Shihyun whispered to himself as he watched Jessica laughingly try to catch her breath and still look just as beautiful as the first day he saw her 10 years ago.

Shihyun couldn't help but take another step towards where Jessica stood, captivated by her beauty and the love he still has for her.

Watching her watch the world around them made his heart ache so painfully. Feeling tears build up at his eyes, Shihyun tried his hardest not to walk across the pedestrian lane and just embrace the woman he so loves.

Shihyun took a sharp breath as hope sparked in his heart and his heart rate raised when Jessica turned her head to his direction and seemed to be looking at him.

It felt like hours of the both of them just gazing at each other when in reality it was naught but seconds when Jessica's attention was called by another.

Shihyun watched as Jessica spoke to the person he knew to be Olivia but was someone he never met, as Krystal often updated him on her sister's wellbeing. He smiled at the comical situation Jessica found herself in as Olivia appeared to be dragging her away and was thankful for the reprieve of his impending heart attack.

Seeing that Jessica was going somewhere he couldn't follow, he decided to end his stalking-err scouting early.

Shihyun took one last glance at Jessica’s retreating back as he slid inside the cab that conveniently stopped in front of him, "Lionel Suites, near Central Park please."

Shihyun opened his phone to kill some time as the cab traveled through different routes to evade the traffic and reach his destination as quick as it could.

Seeing as he had a few texts he haven't read, Shihyun decided to read the one from Krystal. 

To Unnie’s Pabo:

 Oppa, unnie's schedule is still the same but I heard from Olivia that unnie has a portfolio to pass this week. So she might not stick to her usual places and might be harder for you to get a hold of Are you sure you still want to stay there? Just come back to Korea and visit unnie when her schedule clears.

Finally understanding the haste and panic he saw from Jessica earlier, Shihyun tapped the message box to type his reply.

To Soojung-nim:

Thanks for the heads up Krys, but it's okay because I still have to tend to the penthouse and I have papers to fix since it's been a while since I last came to New York. I'll see you when I get back to Seoul, take care Soojung-ah.

                  "Son, are you one of those Korean Singers?" Shihyun got startled by the cab driver's spontaneous question.

                  "No sir, but I am Korean." Shihyun replied with a smile. The cab driver nodded and tapped his steering wheel as they took a sharp right into an avenue that Shihyun was unfamiliar with.

                  "Well you look like one of those people my daughter has hanging up in the walls of her room." The cab driver looked skeptically at Shihyun through his rear-view mirror.

                  "Hahahaha, well I may not be a Korean Singer but I've got friends in the industry." Shihyun said, finding the conversation amusing.

                  "Can I get a picture with you? I should tell my daughter that I met with one of her idols, hahahaha." the driver heartily said, still believing that Shihyun is just hiding his identity as a singer.

Shihyun feeling a bit helpless in the situation and seeing as how the cab driver was kind and welcoming… he agreed, seeing no harm in it all.

                  "Alright, but don't be disappointed when your daughter sees that I'm not an idol." Shihyun said as he scooted forward to take a pic with the cab driver who was driving with one hand and was holding his phone in the other.

                  "Nonsense son, here, 1 2 3." Shihyun smiled and made a V sign with his fingers.

                  Some minutes after their comical conversation, the cab arrived at Central Park, and Shihyun seeing that the traffic was getting congested he decided to just get down and avoid getting stuck in traffic. "Just stop here sir, thank you."

“Are you sure? Well take care of yourself son.” Shihyun smiled as he handed the money to the driver and bid him goodbye, deciding to take a stroll at the infamous Central Park before heading to his penthouse which was nearby.