devil's peak

Champion

 

Two days has passed since.

 

Not a single sign of General Siwon nor his men showing up in Hongsa. Things were beginning to look bleak and Eunji had to come up with a new plan. With time continuously ticking away, it was not wise to have the presence hidden in the village for long. Even more so, the addition of another person made the bodyguard anxious.

 

“Wow, you’re learning so well, princess!”

 

“Of course.”

 

Eunji sighed as she watched Bomi teaching Chorong how to knit. Away from the village is a small, peaceful stream where the three have been spending their days while waiting for news. She clutched her sword tightly, irritated at how close Bomi is to the princess. She’s touching her arm, tugging the lady closer—the bodyguard grabs her weapon and suddenly s the blade into the tree trunk.

 

“Eunji?” The princess calls out with concern as Bomi looks on.

 

“It’s nothing. There was just, a bug. And you hate bugs.” Eunji mumbled, trying to make an excuse to hide her jealously.

 

“I see.” Chorong nods, not batting an eye and continues to knit. Bomi keeps her eye on the bodyguard for a moment and breaks into a smirk. She bends over to whisper, “Milady, is your bodyguard always like that?”

 

“Not at all.” The princess replies with a shake. “Though I have to admit she doesn’t seem to be looking very bright, which is understandable given the stress of the situation.”

 

“No. I don’t think it’s that at all,” Bomi scoffs, easily piecing the puzzle together. She has found something entertaining to watch for the next course of days. “Anyways, let’s continue with the lesson Milady”.

 

Keeping a safe distance, Eunji decides to divert her attention elsewhere like the surroundings. She patrols around the area, ensuring that no one is nearby or spying on them. The bodyguard was trained to protect the princess and nothing more. In all honesty, she doesn’t know what to do in a dire situation like this where no specific order is given.

 

It was then, the bodyguard hears a familiar whistle from above. A pigeon flying towards her. Instinctively, Eunji raises her arm and allows the bird to land on her wrist. Tied to its feet was a small scroll with the seal of Muhwa Kingdom. This was it.

 

A sign. A hope.

 

Eunji lets the pigeon go and hurries to open up the scroll. She reads the first text and knows this is not good news. Usually dipped in black ink, the scroll this round, was tainted in dark, red blood. The person wrote this message on their dying breath.

 

Muhwa Kingdom is gone. Save the princess. Find the witches. Plead their help. – G.C.S.W.

 

Witches.

 

The bodyguard has only heard tales about it. To think that witches are real and relying on their help is the only way to secure the safety of the princess, orders are orders. Eunji returns to the princess, albeit annoyed by the presence of Bomi, bows and announces her retrieval of the scroll.

 

The last message and order from General Siwon.

 

When Eunji informs Chorong, there is silence at first as the princess takes a moment to digest everything. To her, she is aware of the witches. It is a secret kept within the royal family for generations. Their magic abilities were used in desperate situation such as when the Queen had trouble conceiving. This was how Chorong’s birth came to be. A truth that was hidden from the public.

 

Muhwa owed their everything to the witches and lived on their knees with whatever circumstances they offered. Asking the witches help again, seemed to be the only option left. However, there was a problem. Chorong doesn’t know where to find them.

 

“I know where they are.” Bomi says after listening into the princess’ confession of the royal family’ secrets. “These witches you speak of, they aren’t fairy tales.” The woman draws a map onto the sand. “They live at Devil’s Peak. I’m sure you’ve heard many stories of this place.”

 

“Anyone who climbs Devil’s Peak never returns. Those who do, are considered miracles and worshipped like Gods forever.” Chorong recites as she remembers reading it from a passage. Bomi nods in response and draws a line across. “We’re in luck. Devil’s Peak is about a three day walk from Hongsa.”

 

“Then we must go immediately.”

 

“Princess.” Eunji stops her, takes one glare at Bomi and pulls princess to a corner. “Are you just going to believe her words like that?” The bodyguard crosses her arms with a frown. She can’t believe Chorong made such an impulsive decision like that.

 

“This is our only chance, Eunji. Are you scared?”

 

“No.” The question makes the bodyguard offended, as if the princess was doubting her for a second. Eunji takes a step forward with an angry gaze that Chorong has never seen before. “I don’t trust Bomi. Nor do I trust this idea of going Devil’s Peak.”

 

Chorong looks at her. There is a hint of surprise but she isn’t intimidated. As princess, she’s faced many circumstances where advisors from other neighbouring kingdoms, royal members and whatnot have attempted to mock her decisions. This is nothing. Not even her dear, prized bodyguard whom she takes huge regard in, can make the princess waver in her thoughts.

 

“We are going to Devil’s Peak.”

 

It’s a short and sharp sentence that finishes their conversation. The princess easily moves away from Eunji and returns to Bomi, acting as if nothing happened. She smiles and asks the woman to continue teaching her how to knit. The bodyguard stands there with sigh. This shouldn’t be a surprise knowing just how stubborn Chorong is, yet Eunji cannot stop her.

 

“Very well Princess. We may not share the same sides but I will do anything to protect you. So, please do not regret this…” Eunji mumbles to herself as she tightens the grip on her sword. “If I were to die.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

The three-day journey begins a day after.

 

Bomi comes in prepared with a horse carriage that the Hongsa villagers happily offered. It carried plenty of essentials like food, medicine and tools. The woman takes the lead while Eunji sits on top of the carriage as she observes the surroundings. Chorong stays safe inside the carriage and entertains herself with a book.

 

Unlike the previous journey from before, this was definitely safer and easier. The addition of Bomi was nothing but a blessing for the two. Eunji is aware of this, yet she cannot help but to be suspicious.

 

“Hey, your name is Eunji right?” Bomi starts a conversation while keeping her sight on the road. Eunji acts coldly and doesn’t reply. The woman notices and scoffs playfully. “So, you only open your mouth to the princess huh? What a loyal bodyguard you are.” Again, Eunji doesn’t respond.

 

“I know what you’re thinking and it’s only understandable that you’re keeping your distance with me. After all, I’m just a stranger who grew up in a foreign land. I know nothing about the palaces nor the issues of the kingdom. But it is my destiny to serve the princess, just like how my parents did. I hope you don’t think that this was a make-up story and I am actually an assassin in disguise.” Bomi continues, not even caring if Eunji reciprocates.

 

“Say that again and I will kill you.”

 

“Woah, woah, relax there. Don’t need to put a wall around you. I’m speaking the truth!” Bomi laughs nervously as she raises one of her hands up in surrender. “Alright, let’s break the ice a bit, yeah? I heard that usually royal bodyguards are selected from the best fighters in the army. But I just know from one look, you aren’t nothing like those palace-grown warriors. You’re from the outside, aren’t you?”

 

Eunji keeps shut and remains still on her position. After all, keeping a conversation will simply act as a distraction from protecting the princess.

 

“Still choosing to be silent? Oh well. Looks like we’ll have a long way to becoming friends.” Bomi shrugs but in an optimistic tone. “Don’t be too stiff Eunji. Being a bodyguard must be really hard.”

 

Those warm sentences were able to penetrate through Eunji’s thick armour. Even so, she refuses to take in this kindness. Not yet.

 

When night falls, Bomi suggests Eunji to sleep with the princess. The bodyguard argues that she will stay guard around the carriage. Bomi argues that they can take shifts and not getting any sleep will bring a toll on her body. Chorong watches the two bicker and somewhat enjoy the scene for a moment before stepping in.

 

“Eunji. You are sleeping with me in the carriage. Bomi will stay outside.”

 

“But-“

 

“This is an order.”

 

Always. She can never say no to that. Speechless, Eunji is dragged inside the carriage as Chorong closes the door. Bomi waves them a good night and settles next to the horse.  

 

Inside, Chorong gets herself comfortable and shares a blanket with her bodyguard. Their shoulders are touching and its so quiet to the point that all she hears are Eunji’s rhythmical breathing. The princess takes a glance and realises that she’s still sullen over the conversation today. It’s a first to see her exhibiting such a strong emotion and it makes her happy.

 

“Eunji.” The princess calls out her name sweetly with a smile.

 

“This is a terrible idea, princess.”

 

Chorong chuckles and it makes Eunji turn immediately with confusion. She doesn’t understand in what situation would the princess be laughing right now.

 

“You need to relax. You are too tense, Eunji.” Chorong says as she touches Eunji’s arm, feeling the tensed muscles cluttered together. She drags a finger down to her hands and holds it warmly. “I know what you’re thinking and I understand how you feel. In fact, I shouldn’t be behaving so carefree like this either, knowing that my kingdom has fallen. My people are killed. My family gone. I must be crazy to be okay.”

 

Eunji loosens up and looks at the princess worriedly. There it is. Chorong’s strong and reliable bodyguard is back. She isn’t sulky or angsty anymore.

 

“I’ve learned to endure it Eunji. To control my emotions, to pretend that I’m fine even when my whole world is gone. In these dire times, we must do whatever we can to survive. This Devil Peak that Bomi speaks of, honestly, I’m scared. But I know that witches exist and it seems plausible that they would reside in such a place where humans cannot reach.”

 

Chorong circles her thumb around Eunji’s hand, finding comfort in speaking her feelings. “Whatever happens when we reach Devil’s Peak, you’ll stay by my side right?”

 

“What kind of question is that Princess? Do you not believe me?”

 

Chorong notices the hurt in Eunji’s tone and immediately goes to cup her face, gazing straight into her eyes. “Of course not. You are my champion. My treasure. My medal.”

 

The bodyguard freezes and blinks once, unsure how to take in those expressions. Chorong chuckles and gently slaps her cheek. “Let’s sleep. We need all the energy for tomorrow.” She smiles and proceeds to rest her head on Eunji’s shoulder. The bodyguard doesn’t have any time to fix her position and now, she’s going to be stuck like that for the rest of the night.

 

Eunji sighs and hesitantly hovers her hand over Chorong’s head, stuck between whether to pat it or not. Her own desires win and the bodyguard slowly but gently caresses her fingers across the small strands of hair, letting her skin sink delicately and embrace the warmth of the princess tucked in her shoulder.

 

For a second, she thinks whether she can have this moment forever. To stay in this position, inside this cramped carriage with just the princess and her scent right at her nose. To hear her snoozing away and safe in her arms. As she pictures about Chorong laughing and smiling away, Eunji finally succumbs to sleep.

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Bomi covers Chorong’s eyes as she watches in awe at Eunji bringing down three bandits blocking the road. She finally understands why the princess chose her. The fluidity of her movements, almost as if she was dancing with the blade, dodging all of their attacks and landing perfect blows after. It takes only a minute to leave those men groaning on the floor, limbs stained in blood.

 

Eunji sheathes her sword back and turns to the two. Bomi gives a thumbs up whilst still covering the princess’s eyes. The bodyguard sighs and proceeds to drag their corpses elsewhere for disposal. She does not want the princess to have nightmares about the dead. Once the clean-up is done, Bomi finally removes her hands and Chorong wakes to a clear, though stained road.

 

“Let’s continue the journey.” The princess announces. Bomi is quick to jump back on the horse and Eunji climbs to the top.

 

When there is a fallen tree trunk blocking their way, Bomi is once again amazed by Eunji’s sheer strength. She easily pushes it off, dusts her hands and returns to the carriage as if nothing happened. At this point, Bomi has nothing but respect for Eunji. She’s amazing at anything…except for actually communicating with her.

 

“Oh, we’re almost there. Do you see that?” Bomi breaks the silence as she points over to the horizon. Eunji looks up and sees a storm coming. Chorong peeks through the window and sees Devil’s Peak towering over the valley, painted in dark clouds and thunder.

 

“It’s going to rain, princess.” Eunji says with worry.

 

“We’ll keep moving.” Chorong orders. “There is a village over there. We’ll stop there and wait for the rain to stop.” Bomi nods as she lightly taps her feet against the horse, making it to gallop a little faster.

 

As the three approach the village, rain begins to drizzle. It’s nothing like Hongsa. If anything, it looks abandoned, remnants of an attack from many years ago. Burnt down buildings, half-fallen structures, bits and pieces of debris, the only place that seems safe is the small stone church.

 

They hurry in, just moments before it starts to pour heavily. Darkness greets them and Bomi is quick to light a candle while Eunji readies her sword. It looks like they are alone. Chorong scans her eyes around the church, finding it rather beautiful and well-maintained despite being abandoned. The statue of Christ at the end, ceiling decorated by colourful glass and ember, this truly is a holy place of worship.

 

The princess carefully approaches the altar and clasps her hands in prayer. Bomi follows but Eunji doesn’t. The concept of religion remains unfamiliar to the bodyguard and stays still in position, wandering her eyes about.

 

“May the God bless you.”

 

A voice echoes into the dark hallway as Eunji takes out her sword in defence, moving close to Chorong and Bomi.

 

“Please put your weapon down. I mean no harm.”

 

A shadowy figure makes its appearance from the dark. A young, female priest enters from behind the altar and greets the three with a polite bow. Faded red hair, scar across her left eye whilst dressed in a black gown, anyone could tell that she’s a priest.

 

“Eunji, put your weapon down.” Chorong orders. With much reluctance, the bodyguard sheathes her weapon and watches the princess exchange her formalities.

 

“I apologise for the aggression that my bodyguard displayed on you. My name is Chorong and this is Bomi. We are wandering travellers. It suddenly started to rain heavily so we stumbled into the church.”

 

The priest smiles. “Do not apologise, God welcomes your presence. My name is Lee Yoobin and in case you didn’t notice…” She looks up to the dark hollow ceiling and snaps her fingers.

 

Everyone startles in surprise when a shadowy figure falls from above and lands gracefully with two hands. Sheathing her long katana and dusting her robe, the lady gives them a nod and moves behind Yoobin like a ghost.

 

“This is my sister, Lee Siyeon. We are the only people who live here. I manage the church while she handles bandits. It’s very rare to have visitors around but please feel free to make yourself comfortable while waiting for the storm to die down.”

 

Chorong keeps herself warm with the blankets Yoobin provided. Bomi happily chows down some freshly-baked bread and Eunji stays by the princess’ side, observing at Siyeon patrolling around the church. The bodyguard can’t believe that she did not detect her presence upon entry.


If Siyeon was an enemy, this would’ve meant game over. She stares at the long katana that Siyeon carries around and compares it to her steel sword. Eunji doesn’t know why but perhaps, she has never really met another fighter. She could tell from a first look that Siyeon would be a good rival to have. Slowly, there is a competitive fire burning inside.

 

“May I ask where are you girls travelling to? We don’t get many visitors since this is pretty far out of reach.” Yoobin says as she arranges the candles at the altar.

 

“We’re heading to Devil’s Peak.”

 

Both Yoobin and Siyeon halt in their movements.

 

“Devil’s Peak?”

 

“Yes. We have…something to do there.”

 

“I see…” Yoobin nods slowly and gives a glance to Siyeon. “I don’t mean to scare you but there have been stories about Devil’s Peak. No one ever returns. People call it a death sentence.”

 

“Yes, I am aware of it. But we have no other choice but to go there.”

 

“And what might that reason be?” Yoobin asks slowly as she turns around to look at the princess. Hands behind her back, “Are you desperate for something?”

 

Eunji stands up. “That’s enough questions.”

 

“It’s okay.” Chorong stops her and gives Yoobin a smile. “We are actually looking for the witches.” The princess senses the slight twitch in Yoobin’s expression. She’s definitely getting somewhere and proceeds to poke the buttons. “I received a piece of information that these witches can grant us a wish in exchange for something.”

 

“You wish to play with the devil.”

 

“I am afraid it has left us with no choice.”

 

Yoobin hums in thought while Siyeon carefully approaches Eunji. The bodyguard has her hand ready by her sword. She doesn’t like where this conversation is going. Chorong notices the change in atmosphere and proceeds to boldly ask the priest.

 

“Have you met the witches before?”

 

Yoobin looks at the princess and breaks into a chuckle. “If I said yes?”

 

“Then, I would kindly ask you to at least tell us how to meet them.” Chorong replies calmly, not at all intimidated with the gaze that the priest is giving her.

 

Siyeon suddenly opens her sword, causing Eunji to do the same. The two now have their blades pointing at each other’s neck. Bomi drops her bread and scurries behind Chorong. Yoobin gives the princess a smirk.

 

“You are quite smart, aren’t you, Chorong?”

 

“I think anyone can get a clue just by looking at the state of this village. Tell me, Yoobin. You aren’t actually a priest, are you?” The princess says without a single shred of fear in her eyes.

 

Yoobin puts her hands behind her back and raise her head back up, the scar across her left eye is suddenly glowing in a bright yellow hue. Eunji switches her attention between the priest and Siyeon, this is going to be a tough fight.

 

“We are the witches that you’re looking for, Chorong. Or should I say…Princess of Muhwa?”

 

 

--

 

 


a/n: these witches, are they friends or foe? also we had jealous eunji and bomi somehow figuring out something between the two ;) get ready folks, this story is about to switch from all that fluff-goodness.....