the stranger

Champion

 

Hongsa is a quaint, little farming village situated along the borders of Muhwa. To many, it’s just a small, poor community that doesn’t contribute much to the economy of either kingdoms. Chorong faintly recalls seeing some of Hongsa’s representatives at the palace, usually begging for more provisions and support. Her father is at least kind enough to protect Hongsa and it’s obvious that they owe a lot to the Muhwa kingdom.

 

But with the king gone, that’s another story to tell.

 

Chorong and Eunji arrives at a small inn located at the centre of the village, adjacent of a statue, supposed to be their founder. It has been a long, tiring journey and getting a nice, warm room would be great. But there is a problem. They have no money.

 

The princess has an idea. Though hesitant at first, she clutches tightly onto her emerald ornament necklace and pulls it out, putting it across the counter.

 

“What if we trade this in exchange for a room? How many days would it be worth?” Chorong asked the innkeeper.

 

Eunji widened her eyes at Chorong’s decision. That emerald ornament necklace is the symbol of royalty and also, the King’s parting gift. If the princess decides to sell that off, she will not have anything else in memory of her parents.

 

“Princess, are you sure?” The bodyguard whispered with concern. Chorong nodded and replied, “I know what I’m doing.”

 

The innkeeper takes the ornament and analyses it with a magnifying glass. He sighs and hands them a room key.

 

“I will allow the two of you to stay for four days. Four days is the maximum. Anytime longer and I have to kick you out. Unless, you manage to find some money during that time, then you are more than welcome to extend your stay.”

 

“Thank you very much for your kind consideration.”

 

The princess bowed politely and headed upstairs. Eunji followed along as she can’t believe Chorong just bowed to a mere commoner. She’s right. No one outside of Muhwa Kingdom knows what the princess looks like. Here, she is just another ordinary lady.

 

“Oh. Looks like we have to share.” Chorong says as she opens the door, looking at the queen-sized bed greeting their doorstep.

 

Eunji immediately turns around. “I’ll ask them to change the roo-“

 

“It’s fine.” Chorong stops the bodyguard. “There is nothing wrong with us sleeping together.”

 

“…Right.” Eunji nods as her cheeks start to flare up.

 

The bodyguard looks around the room, ensuring that there aren’t any traps tampered into the furniture while Chorong opens the cupboard, surprised that there is a change of clothes provided. She decides to put that on and completely discard any garment from Muhwa.

 

Eunji turns around and nearly jumps at the sight of the Princess half-. She quickly looks back and presses her head against the wall.

 

 “Chorong…you could’ve at least told me you were changing…”

 

“Why? There’s nothing wrong about two girls seeing each other .” The Princess coolly says as she ties the knot around her cloth robe.

 

Honestly, she’s right. There is no reason to be all embarrassed about this. It’s just Eunji not being used to this. Unless…

 

“Are you done?”

 

“Yup. You can turn around now.”

 

Eunji stares at the Princess, who looks so different now that she’s dressed in a casual outfit. No one would even think that she is of royal blood.

 

“How do I look?”

 

“G-Great.” The answer easily slips out of . “I mean, no one would think that you are a princess.”

 

“That’s exactly why I changed.” Chorong smiles as she hides her clothes into the cupboard. She stretches her arms and sits on the bed. “Now then, what do we do now? Sit around and wait?”

 

“The general told me that if he doesn’t arrive in the next three days, we are to move straight to Plan B.”

 

“And what is Plan B?”

 

Their conversation is interrupted when something knocks on their window. Eunji turns around and is surprised to see a person. She almost takes her sword out but Chorong stops her.

 

“Open the window.” The princess orders.

 

“But she could be an enemy-“

 

“Open the window.” Chorong repeats calmly.

 

Eunji sighs and sheathes back her sword, proceeds to open the window. She can’t believe that this stranger is hanging along the railing like a monkey.

 

“Hello there!” She waves with a bright grin. “May I come in?”

 

“No-“

 

“Yes, please do.” Chorong says as the stranger swings her body inside. She dusts her hands and bows in greeting.

 

“Pleasure to meet you travellers! Welcome to Hongsa! My name is Yoon Bomi and I guess you can say, I’m one of the village’s representative in guiding visitors! We don’t get a lot out here so I’m happy that you came. I finally have a job to do!”

 

“Nice to meet you Bomi. My name is Chorong and this is Eunji, my travelling partner.” The princess introduces herself as she says out the lie pretty well. The bodyguard nods in response.

 

“Wow, I see that travelling partner must be a really good fighter!” Bomi looks down at Eunji’s sword. “Always good to have someone like that around. It is indeed dangerous to travel as more cases of bandits attacking innocents have been increasing lately.”

 

The woman frowns but quickly brings back her smile. “Anyways, if you need any help, feel free to ask me! Allow me to leave and let you guys have your privacy. Welcome to Hongsa!”

 

“Wait.” Chorong calls out as Bomi stops halfway through the window.

 

“Why can’t you just exit through the door?” Eunji mumbles.

 

“We actually do need some help.” Chorong says. “Some bandits attacked us as we travelled and stole all of our belongings. So, we don’t have any money to buy food. We managed to rent this room because I traded in a precious amulet that my father gave me.” The princess attempts to persuade Bomi with such a believable lie.

 

“Oh my. You poor thing.” Bomi gasps, already falling for the trap. “There is one thing that I can help! You are lucky today because we always have a public, free dinner gathering every Friday. Anyone regardless if they are residents or travellers are all welcome to join!”

 

“That’s wonderful! May I know where this will be held?”

 

“Right in front of the statue at six. I’ll see you two there?”

 

“Yup. Thank you so much for your warm accommodation.”

 

Bomi laughs as she waves goodbye. “Hongsa is a kind village!” Eunji watches on in amusement as Bomi jumps down from the window, lands on the ground with two feet and completely fine.

 

“Princess, what are you exactly planning?” Eunji sighs as she closes the window.

 

“Sometimes, you need white little lies. I know what you were planning to do. You were going to steal.”

 

Eunji stops and lowers her head. “I am sorry.”

 

“It’s fine. I forgive you because of the desperate situation that we are in. But sometimes, we must rely on the kindness of strangers.” Chorong comforts her bodyguard who has been very tense since their arrival in the village.

 

“…I don’t know if I can trust these people here.”

 

Chorong cups Eunji’s cheeks. “But you trust me.” The bodyguard freezes once again. Once again, she is caught in the princess’ gaze and trapped within. She is right. Eunji doesn’t have to trust anyone but the princess herself.

 

“After all, Father has told me so many stories about Hongsa. About how they are selfless, kind and an accommodating community of people. Let’s relax Eunji. We are safe here for the time being.”

 

The bodyguard exhales a sigh and nods, eventually giving into the princess’ ideas. After all, how can she say no, when it is so obvious on her face, that Chorong is enjoying this freedom that she hasn’t tasted in awhile?

 

This freedom of being someone else other than princess of Muhwa.

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

When night falls, the true beauty of Hongsa village begins to reveal itself. Lanterns decorated along the poles light up the street as residents crowd the vicinity. Others help to set the tables; some carry out the various pots of food and the rest chatter away busily. No one seems to bother about the new faces which is probably a good thing.

 

Bomi waves over at Chorong and Eunji, dragging them around for introductions. To the bodyguard, she finds all these “meeting new people” very awkward. But to princess, this is normal and very much close to home. Bomi proceeds to tell them a little bit about Hongsa’s history, the story behind the statue and the weekly free dinners in remembrance of the hardships throughout the past. Chorong learns that Hongsa is a religious village and joins into the prayers before feasting.

 

This is the first time Eunji hears about “Christianity” and plans to ask the princess another time.

 

For now, the bodyguard focuses on the food. To be honest, she’s been starving. With this much of food on her plate, Eunji forgets about the table manners that the princess has taught her and immediately uses her hands. She shoves the meat into , spoons the rice into her palms and digs her nails. Chorong on the other hand, makes full use of the utensils provided. The princess eats cleanly unlike her bodyguard which is barbaric.

 

Chorong decides to let this pass for today. After all, the two of them have gone through a lot and they aren’t in the palace. Eunji is free to act however she wishes. There are no laws and rules to obey anymore.

 

“Wow, your partner must’ve been really hungry!” Bomi laughs as she approaches the princess.

 

“The journey must’ve been very tough on her. It’s okay. This is a rewarding meal. Thank you so much once again.”

 

“Oh no, it’s nothing!” Bomi waves her hand. “By the way, there’s a dance happening later. Do you want to join?”

 

“Sure!”

 

Eunji immediately wipes her hands against the tablecloth and rushes to the princess. “Where are you going?”

 

“For a dance.” Chorong answers calmly.

 

“A dance?”

 

“Do you want to join me?”

 

“I…I can’t dance.” Eunji lowers her head shyly.

 

“Oh. Then it’s fine.” Chorong smiles as she follows Bomi into the crowd. Eunji goes after and watches the princess from afar, keeping a close watch. But she can’t help but to feel jealous at the two.

 

Bomi twirling the princess around as Chorong laughs heartily. They seem to go well in sync, hands and feet going about gracefully. For some reason, this makes the bodyguard angry.

 

“You’re a really good dancer!” Bomi exclaims in surprise.

 

“And you are too.” Chorong giggles.

 

“Excuse me.” Eunji cuts in as she stops their dance, hand gently wrapping around the princess’ waist. “I’m afraid that no one dances with my partner without my permission.”

 

Bomi eyes teasingly at Eunji and raises her hands in surrender. “Alright. Have fun the two of you.” She skips away and diverts her attention to another target.

 

“I thought you said you can’t dance?” Chorong smiles widely at the entrance of Eunji, awkwardly holding her hands and imitating the other people dancing.

 

“I can’t.” Eunji admits with a blush. “But I don’t trust her touching you.”

 

Chorong laughs as she pulls Eunji closer. “Let me teach you how to dance.”

 

The bodyguard follows Chorong’s lead as she watches the princess step forward gracefully. They twirl around, arms raising up and down, gentle, light steps forward and backwards, suddenly, Chorong grabs her shoulder and pulls her down halfway. Their eyes meet, their faces an inch apart. Eunji gulps.

 

It was only one second.

 

But one second of being this close to the princess, one second of seeing all of her facial features in full detail, this close of witnessing that beautiful, warm smile. She’s so captivated by Chorong’s beauty that she can no longer hear the music playing in the background.

 

It’s just her.

 

Eunji doesn’t know what this feeling is. Something inside her chest is blossoming with warmth. It both tickles and strikes up a heat. A funny kind of feeling. The spell stops when Chorong pulls Eunji back up and gives a final twirl.

 

The dance comes to an end.

 

“Eunji?”

 

She blinks and immediately snaps out of the trance. “Y-Yes?” The bodyguard sees Chorong laughing at her, mouth grinning widely as her voice echoes loudly into her chest.

 

“Looks like you’re going to work on your dance.” Chorong smiles. “You are absolutely terrible at this.”

 

Eunji laughs nervously as she scratches the back of her neck. “I only know how to fight. Not dance.”

 

“We can always learn, just like how you taught me how to hold a sword.”  

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Night has fallen and the dinner gathering is over.

 

For the first time in two days, Chorong and Eunji finally rest on a proper bed. They have certainly been pampered by the luxuries of the palace. To have a fluffy pillow and a soft mattress that balances their weight, it is easy to drift deep into dreamland.

 

The princess is already off to her own world but her bodyguard is still wide awake. No, she’s not forcing herself to stay up. Eunji can’t sleep because her heart keeps making her anxious. The fact that the princess is barely inches away from her or how she can hear her slow, steady breaths, god, this is driving her insane.

 

It gets worse when Chorong suddenly turns to her right side, hands clinging onto Eunji that the bodyguard becomes a statue. She almost stops breathing and moves her gaze towards the princess, now burying her head into her firm shoulders. Eunji glances over and hates that her eyes land on the princess’ lips. It sends her gulping.

 

Eunji decides to take a deep breath and close her eyes shut, wanting to focus merely on the thought of sleeping.

 

Morning comes and while the princess is still in deep sleep, Eunji wakes to the knocking of the window. She carefully rises from bed, making sure not to wake Chorong up and approaches the glass. It’s Bomi.

 

The bodyguard scowls when she opens it. “Can’t you enter normally and not through the window?”

 

“Sorry, it’s a habit of mine.” Bomi laughs nervously, one arm holding onto the railing. “We’ve got a situation.”

 

Chorong and Eunji head to the courtyard where a crowd has gathered. There are some older adults arguing and bickering with another group. A closer look and they seem like soldiers, except when the two realise the symbols carved onto their armour, belong to the Tonghwa Kingdom.

 

This is bad.

 

Word has already spread of the Muhwa princess’ disappearance and Tonghwa has sent their soldiers to find her. Eunji pulls over the hoodie from Chorong and tells her to stay quiet. The princess nods as the two observe the scene.

 

 

“Look. We don’t mean any harm, alright? The Tonghwa army has requested a search for a very important individual. All we want to do is inspect every single villager.” The man announces, trying to calm down the situation.

 

One of them walks through with his horse, turning heads around as he scans the crowd. Chorong and Eunji tense up when the man starts to approach towards their direction.

 

“You there.” The man halts and gets off the horse. “Remove that hood.”

 

“I’m sorry. My friend here is sick.”

 

“That doesn’t give any excuse to show her face. Come on, show your face.” The soldier sighs as he grabs onto the hood. And that was the final call.

 

Angered, Eunji took out her sword and pointed the blade towards the man’s face. Other soldiers armed themselves in response. “Don’t touch her.” Eunji growled, ready to kill.

 

“Alright, alright. Let’s not have anyone killed today, okay?” Bomi runs in and breaks up the fight. “Dear sir, I’m afraid you do not understand the serenity of her disease. She has an infectious eye and certainly, for the sake of your health, it would be best not to even look directly at her!” Bomi attempts to persuade the soldier with a lie.

 

Other villagers seem to catch on and support Bomi’s point, they raise their hands in protest and start yelling. The soldier becomes pissed off but decides to let this slide.

 

“Fine.” The man scoffs and goes back to his horse. “Alright boys. This village has nothing. We’re just wasting our time. Let’s go back to base.” His leg kicks against the horse’s as the group starts to gallop away and out of sight.

 

Eunji sighed in relief as Bomi continued to break up the crowd, telling everyone to continue their usual activities. Chorong removed her hood and looked at Eunji with concern. She knows what that meant. They cannot be as carefree. Tonghwa has started a nationwide search for the princess.

 

“Come with me.”

 

Bomi tells the two and drags them to a private space underneath a bridge. Eunji tightens the grip on her sword, hoping that she doesn’t have to do this the hard way. Chorong readies herself for the worse.

 

Bomi notices that Eunji is being defensive and immediately raises her hand in surrender. “Calm down. I know what you’re thinking and it’s right. But I’m keeping your secret safe.”

 

“Since when did you know?” Chorong asked.

 

“Well…” Bomi shrugs. “News broke out about the attack in Muhwa kingdom. Everyone knows about the King and Queen’s death. But there was still hope for the princess was missing.”

 

“How did you know that the princess was her?” Eunji cuts in as Bomi was beating around the bush.

 

It didn’t make sense.

 

No one outside the kingdom should know what the princess looked like. Surely, news of the attack and the assassinations would not be surprising but to meet someone who is aware of Chorong’s identity can easily turn the tables between friend or foe.

 

Who exactly is this mysterious stranger?

 

Bomi smirks as she suddenly kneels to the ground, head down. “Milady, I am absolutely relieved that you are unhurt!”

 

Chorong and Eunji exchanged confused glances at one another. This kind of greeting is only something that servants at the palace would say. Unless…

 

“Bomi, are you…” The princess trails behind as she tries to jog her own memory. It’s fuzzy, a little blurry but she does remember of a child servant in the palace. But that child did not stay for long.

 

She was only five years old when she met this child servant. While they did not make many memories together as Ho-Dong always scolded the princess that it was wrong to play with the child servant, Chorong always pitied her. Three months and that was it.

 

She never saw her again.

 

“Was that child…you?” Chorong asks with much hesitation. She could be mistaken for her father told the princess that the child servant died from an illness. But then again, adults always lie for the greater good.

 

Bomi raises her head up and grins widely. “Milady, I am so happy that you still remember me!”

 

Chorong gasps in shock. Eunji has no idea what’s going on but believes that Bomi is not a threat.

 

“You’re not…dead.”

 

“I wasn’t.” Bomi lowered her gaze. “My mother made a mistake when she was serving the Queen. Because of that, my family was banished from the palace and we ended up restarting our lives at Hongsa. But we never hated Muhwa. In fact, we were very grateful to even have such an opportunity to work there.”

 

“I am glad that you living well.”

 

“When I heard the news, I was devastated and believed this marked the end of the world. But I heard that you were missing from the palace. So, I hung onto this hope that the princess is still alive. God has answered my prayers.” Bomi clasped her hands together. “Milady, please allow me to serve you once again.”

 

Chorong looked at Eunji as if wanting to seek for her opinion. The bodyguard sheathes back her sword and stares at Bomi. Her actions seem genuine. Plus, they do owe her for that save with the Tonghwa soldiers.

 

“Stand up, Bomi.”

 

The woman does as she’s told, still remembering the correct posture and grace.

 

“If you are to serve under me once again, you must be aware that you must leave your home. You must also be aware that following me on this journey bears a lot of risk. There are chances that you may die.”

 

“I understand.” Bomi nods. “Milady, from the very beginning, I knew that my destiny was fated to serve the princess. I don’t need this life here in Hongsa. It’s boring, there’s nothing to do. But here, I can join you on an adventure and continue the duties that my parents could not fulfil.”

 

Chorong has made her decision. She bends down and extends her hand.

 

“I look forward to working with you, Bomi.”

 

 

--

 

 


a/n: a new addition has been added to the "make-princess-chorong-rise-again" team, welcome on board, bomi~! now, i know some may be suspicious over her character but she's really a good guy lmao watch her become a third wheel throughout their journey haha