Sonder

The Dictionary of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hi, it's me again. Irene's birthday is around the corner so let's hype it up and enjoy this not-so-long one-shot~ And please do comment down your thoughts, it's motivating and I love reading them :)

 

 

 

Sonder

[sohn-dherr] noun

The realization that each passerby has a life as vivid and as complex as your own.

 

 

 

Seulgi and Irene catch themselves in a battle of stares - with the windows between them - on that one fine sunny afternoon.

 

 

 


School works, project, hectic schedules— Kang Seulgi can name it all. High school is your hell, an you can't even imagine how much more it could get in college. You barely had reasons to wake up every other day. A lifeless life, as what you've always said. You don't excel in school, you got rejected on the varsity club you're applying, and your lonely home can even add up to that list.

 

And just when you thought your day could go any worse, you find yourself running on that sunny afternoon, shouting, as you catch for your ride. You curse in relief when it stops, you halt for a second before running again to hop over it.

 

"Sorry, and thanks Mr. Im." You mumble a panting thanks as you beep in your card.

 

"Aigoo. No problem, kid. I thought you already went home." You just smile, not really recovered from the marathon you went through. Your eyes twinkle when you find your favorite seat unoccupied, like the heaven has saved it to make your ty day any better.

 

You make your way towards it, not forgetting to pinch the Preschooler's cheek whom you ride with everyday, and of course, you smile at that tall highschooler who always sat on the back row. She returns the gesture, even waving enthusiastically at you like how she always does in every bus ride. And it makes you giggle because you never really knew her name and neither of you barely even made an effort to do so and maybe, it's better off this way. She's pretty, you know it. She wears a different uniform so you know she's from another high school but if she was, you know you would've befriended her in a second.

 

You slump on your seat, closing your eyes for a moment as you feel all of your energy drained throughout the day. A short sleep sounds good for you now but the sudden halt of the vehicle makes you open your eyes after a long while. You hear some passengers grunt at the sudden stop and you hear Mr. Im utter an apology.

 

You glance outside. You're by the fourth stop already where there are usually no passengers around. But today, you see a group of teenagers from afar, trying to catch the bus. You don't complain, because you basically just had it the same a while ago.

 

You were about to catch your sleep again when your eyes suddenly lands in a house not far from the street. It's supposed to be a normal sight for you to look away, but you suddenly find yourself looking– staring- at a woman sitting by the porch.

 

You start to feel that kind of realization once again— the thought that every person you meet has a life as complex as your own. You don't know how exactly did it happen because you just found yourself wondering about other's people lives.

 

It's a sudden realization— like an impulse— to wonder about the about the life of that old woman who just crossed the street or even that cute barista from your favorite café. Do they have also have a boring life as yours? Do they feel lonely in bed too like how you always do?

 

And you hate that you're aware of these thoughts because it haunts you,

 

 

 

That your ty day could be someone else's best day.

 

 

That your best day could be someone else's ty day.

 

 

 

Thoughts like that even make you stop at any second of the day. And it's annoying. Because you build concern on the lives of people you barely know. You end up thinking about them for a long time before they fade from your memory.

 

And just when it could get different, the woman's eyes lands upon you. You get surprised. If this was some other day, you know you'd immediately look away. But you don't. Suprisingly, you keep yourself unblinking as you keep up with her gazes.

 

You find yourselves engaging in a battle of stares— with the windows between you— in this ty sunny afternoon of yours.

 

 

 

She's so pretty.

 

You have never seen such beauty.

 

 

 

You want to look away but your heart couldn't afford to leave such beauty. Who knows this might be the last time you'll see her. So you don't tear your eyes from her not even caring if you're starting to creep her out. How could you, when she herself does the same, with the same straight gaze like you have, and you don't even feel a slight discomfort from it.

 

It was a good few seconds of staring not until another middle-aged woman, whom you assume is her mother, distracts her sight from you. You prop and elbow as you watched the scene unfold. They look the same, so pretty and white. The mother hands her a basket of fruits and some other things. You tilt your head in wonder.

 

The sound of the engine roaring tells you that the bus is moving again. You look to the front and notice the teenagers fighting over their seats. You only shake your head amused.

 

"The bus will move now!"

 

You try your luck again and to your surprise, the woman is still there— now back to looking at you in a gaze of a stranger's eye.

 

You don't know why but your heart suddenly skipped a beat.

 

Soon, the house gets smaller and smaller for your vision as the bus makes its way. With one final look, you try to remember the beauty in front of you.

 

 

 

You wish you knew her name.

 

 

You wish you'd see her again.

 

 

 

A pretty stranger, you think.

 

 

 

 

Your mother had warned you about strangers on the street, but she never told you about pretty strangers by the porch.

 

 

 

═══════

 

 

 

 

That afternoon, you never slept during the ride.

 

You wonder, "Did she have a ty day in school too?"

 

 

 

═══════

 

 

 


"Joy."

 

Your bestfriend hums but doesn't spare you a glance.

 

"Do you know someone who's like really pretty in the campus?" You innocently asks, and this made your bestfriend raise a brow for you.

 

"What's gotten into you?"

 

You look away, "N-Nothing. I'm just curious about someone."

 

"Woah. Is this another dimension or what? Kang Seulgi is finally attracted to someone!" Joy claps her hands like a fool— while shaking your body excitedly.

 

"Yah." You swat her hands away. "Just answer me."

 

Her face falters. "Are you dumb or what? There are so many pretty girls in this campus. You're even talking to one."

 

You scoff. "Who? The wall?"

 

Joy only raises her middle finger to you. You laugh.

 

"Just ing describe her so we're done here."

 

You ponder for a moment— trying to picture out the face of a beauty you saw yesterday. "Uhm...she has a straight black hair, pointed nose, ears that seem to big for her small face, and what else? Oh, she really has a pale skin too!"

 

It actually amazes you how you remember even her smallest details when in fact, you can't even barely recall the lessons you studied the other night.

 

"Her face is perfect in all angles like damn. She's really pretty, Joy. I swear, if you were there, you would've said the same."

 

Your bestfriend thinks for a while— trying to match your descriptions with the best of girls she could remember. She shows you a couple of pictures but none of them was her— it makes you frown.

 

"Maybe she's not from our school."

 

You can't help but feel sad about it.

 

"Yeah. Maybe."

 

 

 

═══════

 

 

 

 

Something about that afternoon makes you giddy for some reasons. So you're not surprised when you find yourself sitting on bus stop—half an hour early for her usual late demeanor. And when you finally sat on your favorite seat after waving to the Preschooler and the pretty highschooler, you remember why you're excited.

 

 

You wanted to see her again.

 

 

And may god bless you, because you stop by the same bus stop again. The same group of teenagers are running to catch the bus, a scene not different from yesterday. And may god continue to bless you because the woman is there again— sitting on the same spot by their porch, a book now placed on her lap. You swear you saw her eyes lit up when your gazes met and you can't help but assume she's excited to see you too.

 

Damn it. Your heart is racing so fast right now. You don't even know what to do. Smile? Wave? You don't know how long have you fought with your inner battles because the engine roars again. And like a blink of an eye, the house is gone from your sight.

 

You didn't even get to say hi.

 

Who is she? And why is she making you feel like this?

 

 

It's all new to you. Sure you've been wondering about each passerby's lives since god knows when. But certainly not to this extent. You have never cared this much, you've never looked forward to meet them again and most importantly, no one has ever, ever, made your heart pound like this.

 

Just her.

 

With those eyes you're not familiar with.

 

With a name you don't even know.

 

 

═══════

 

 


Ever since last night, you haven't felt alone in your cramped bed.


Because the thoughts of her were beside you even in the loneliest darkness of the night.

 

 

 

═══════

 

 


The following afternoons followed and it was no different from the previous bus rides. You still sat on your most precious seat, you still pinched that Preschooler's cheek, you still waved at the tall highschooler, and of course, the woman was still there— on the same porch, with the same book, and with the same intensity of your stare that makes your mind hazy because how could this gorgeous stranger manage to look at you too, even this long?

 

You can't help but wonder. Was she looking forward to see you too?

 

The routine went for a week. You're surprised. You don't even realize you both have been doing it for days now. And her stares— the goddamn weight of stares just builds up more fire inside of you. Your dead curious about her now. It makes you want to jump off this bus and just run to her porch to know her name, get her number, and live happily ever after.

 

But you're still in your own fairytale.

 

 

With the windows between, neither of you made a move.



Not a simple smile nor a quick wave.

 

You just stare.

 

Stare.

 

 

 

 

And you can't complain either.

 

 

Because you love staring at her.

 

 

 


Not until that one afternoon, on your eleventh day of battling with the stares, you finally had enough and gained courage to make a move because you're aching to have more— and you know you might lose her if you don't.

 

You see her head peek out of the book once the sound of the screeching brakes echoed through peaceful street. And you can't help but mentally squeal when her eyes instantly lands to your window— like a reflex as soon as your bus completely halts. And how much cuter could she get when she immediately looks away, like a thief caught in the act, when she noticed your long still gazes. You giggle.

 

She's so cute.

 

And pretty.

 

Even when she's just there sitting, you know she's close to perfection.

 

Ugh.

 

You don't even know how to contain this anymore.

 

So when her gazes turn to you again, you waste no second as you carry your hand in the air, waving it with full enthusiasm as you show off your wide grin that surely turned your eyes into crescents.

 

And you love it.

 

You really love it.

 

Because what you're seeing right now is your ball of sunshine, getting all shy from your simple gesture as she hides her face behind the book. And god, your sharp eyes were never this useful until now because you were sure you didn't miss out that smile breaking out from her lips— equally as wide and as shy as yours.

 

You let out a hearty giggle and you are sure that the passengers are now looking at you weirdly. But you don't care. Not when the cause of all your smiles is hiding behind that book— pretending she's reading it even in those upside down letters.

 

She's too cute for your poor heart.

 

Her head doesn't seem to peek out any moment. You understand, and you don't exactly mind. Because the reaction she gave is already more than enough for you. It makes you smile in your seat before finally facing to the front.

 

Soon, the bus slowly moves again. But you're never really good with controlling yourself. So with one final chance, you head turns to her porch, and you raise a brow when she's actually looking at you already, as though waiting for you to look back. You expect her to hide again. But she doesn't.

 

She shyly waves back at you.

 

She did that.

 

Oh my god.

 

And you can't even wipe off your smile even after their house has long been gone from your sight. You face forward again and for the first time, you feel some sort of heat rushing through your cheeks, something buzzing inside you that you can't lay a finger on.

 

On your thousandth bus ride, eleventh day of meeting her, it only took one wave and one smile to make you forget your tiring day.

 

 

 

And god, you certainly can't wait for the next bus ride.

 

 

 

═══════

 

 

 

 

Days turned into weeks, yet you still catch yourselves in a battle of stares every afternoon. Except now, you wave and smile to each other more often.

 

Then after sometime, you upgrade those little interactions of yours. You now gesture and mouth her a simple What are you doing?, and then she'll lift the book she leaves to her lap when she gives you her full attention, shaking it off to show her biggest interest. You also ask her while doing some weird gestures, Have you eaten?, and she will grin at you childishly as she shows off her basket of fruits, or sometimes a slice of cake and you know she's clearly and purposely making you jealous. So you go along with a pout and a frown when she does it. And you don't mind looking all dumb in front of her because it makes her heartily laugh, her eyes turning crescents, and help lips forming out a wide smile you never knew you needed.

 

Her presumably mom goes to where she is, handing her a glass of water. The pretty stranger points at you which startles you for a moment. You see her pointing at you all the while telling her mom about something which you assume is about you.

 

You don't know how to react so you just awkwardly waved a hand and bowed even in the limited space. The two women fight back a giggle together while the mom nods to the pretty stranger as though affirming something.

 

It makes your cheeks flush so you sit back formally.

 

You're deeply embarassed but you don't think about it more. All you could make out is the sight of the pretty stranger laughing her heart out. All because of you.

 

And even with the windows between, you can still hear her unheard voice, the sound of her unheard laugh, and the warmth of her distant presence from you.

 

It makes your stomach turn.

 

You don't know how to describe it.

 

All you know is that you're happy.

 

And you want to see her again.

 


You admit you find it scary to be attached to someone you don't know, to a name you're not familiar of. But you don't bother yourself to it. She warms up your heart, she turns your ty day better, and she makes you forget your pretty wracked up life. So that's more than enough.

 

Until the bus moves, you don't look back anymore.

 

You certainly needed to breathe.

 

And it's fine, there's still another bus ride tomorrow.

 

 

 

═══════

 

 


It all becomes a part of your routine. She becomes another page of your story just like that. Week after a week your heart moves to her a little closer more than you imagined it to be.

 

At times you wonder, what kind of life does she have?

 

Why is she always there— on the same time, on the same place, with the same blanket tuck against her lap and the same book she's been holding for weeks.

 

You badly want to know.

 

But you are sure you'll never know.

 

So you are okay with this. Because as long as she's still there, you'll catch the same ride over and over again.

 

 

 

═══════

 

 


But things really do really happen when you least expect it.

 

Because you never imaged this day to be the one you've been waiting for.

 


"So who's house?" Wendy asks, talking about a project the four of you are in. No one volunteers and you instantly reject the idea of offering your humble abode as a tribute.

 

"Definitely not mine." You try to sound convincing, "It's far. Why don't we go for the nearer ones?"

 

Yeri and Joy squints an eye at you. Before Yeri could even retort, Joy beats her to it.

 

"Mom has visitors tonight. So definitely not mine too."

 

Yeri glares at her. "You're obviously faking an excuse, Park Joy."

 

"And we've never been to your house too, Kim Yerim, so you are practically the best choice in here."

 

You nod, giving a thumbs up to which Yeri groans.

 

"Fine!"

 

In the middle of the class, you receive a message from your dad saying she wants you home early. You roll your eyes. They've only thought of it now that you have other plans. Unfair, but you know better than follow them because if you don't you know you're in deep trouble.

 

"I really can't. I'm sorry." You turn to them apologetically.

 

"It's okay—"

 

"No it's not!" The devil spawned grabs your collar playfully. "You can't just run away like this!"

 

"I'm gonna get killed if I don't go home."

 

"Then we'll die together." Joy shows off her phone— a message popping on it the same as yours.

 

You laugh, "Oh my god. We truly are losers aren't we?"

 

Joy shrugs. "A disobedient loser."

 

You nudge her while laughing out loud, yet deep down you wish you could really run away.

 

"Yeri where exactly do you live? I might gamble some time."

 

Yeri looks up from her phone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"It's around the fourth bus stop."

 

 

 

 

 

═══════

 

 

 

And you can't be this more excited to die because you're here, in the bus, on the same seat, with your loud friends. Your mom has been bombarding you with messages so you are more eager to die because you turn it off. The next stop is almost there and your heart is madly pounding against your chest. Your legs couldn't even rest as you bite your nails in anticipation.

 

You're finally seeing her.

 

Up close.

 

You wish she'd still be there.

 

 

 

And you thank the heavens because she's there. As always, she puts her book aside, her eyes instantly travelling to your window. You smile widely, to which she returns, and you almost laughed at her bewildered expression when you stood up from your seat.

 

Joy has no idea this was the pretty stranger you've been talking about. Your feet carry you to Yeri's house but your eyes are set to the woman by the porch, looking at you surprised. And how lucky could you be because your feet which are carrying you to Yeri's house also happens to go beside the pretty stranger's house.

 

So they're actually neighbors?

 

You mentally rejoice. Kim Yeri, let's be good friends from now on!

 

And a damn pretty stranger is such an understatement for her.

 

You're finally seeing her a little closer, you can know catch the title of the book she's been reading and you, finally, closed the gap between you and her. There are no more glass windows before you. She's there, in front of you.

 

And your little heart is celebrating.

 

You give her a small wave just before going inside Yeri's house. She nods at you, hiding behind the book which fortunately is upright now, an indication that she's shy from the sudden interaction.

 

"You know her?" Yeri nudges you. So she noticed.

 

"Huh?" You finally tore your gaze from the pretty stranger.

 

"Irene."

 

"Irene?"

 

Yeri rolls an eye at you. "That girl over there."

 

 

 

 

Irene.

 

 

 

 

What a beautiful name.

 

 

 

 

═══════

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, it's you who opens up the idea about doing the project again. Still, in Yeri's house. And you don't even care about the weird looks your friends are giving you because all you want is to be close to her once again.

 

So you're here, waving a hand to Irene, the pretty stranger who's no stranger to you anymore.

 

As much as you'd love to have the little chat you've been practicing since last night, you can't afford to leave your friends wondering about your sudden friendship with the stranger. So you keep your hands to yourself. The time will come, you know it. 

 

Once you've settled in Yeri's spacious bedroom, she nudges you again. 

 

"She asked me about your name this morning."

 

The way your head sprung to face Yeri was faster than Bolt as you looked at her in disbelief. "W-What?"

 

Yeri smirks at you. "Irene. She asked me how I knew you and asked for your name."

 

"S-she did that?"

 

"Yeah." Yeri then looks at you teasingly, "So that's why you were so eager to come here."

 

You look away, embarassed at getting caught by your own antics. And the devil only laughs at you, clearly enjoying your distressed state.

 

You take it back. Park Joy, come back to me!

 

 

 

 

 

The room becomes dead silent with only some teenager songs playing from Yeri's speakers. You and your friends are so engrossed with this Chemistry project you're doing. And somehow it makes you sad because you won't have other more reasons to come here since the deadline is already tomorrow.

 

You are cutting strips of paper when Yeri's mom yells from downstairs. "Wait a second." Yeri excuses herself.

 

"Guys." She comes up after a moment, head peeking cutely by the door. "I'll head to our neighbor for a while. Mom asked me to give them something."

 

Wendy and Joy nods before going back to their work. Yeri looks at you, like she's challenging you to man up, which you clearly did.

 

"I'll come with you."

 

Joy immediately turns to you. "You just want to go out."

 

Yeri goes to where you are, putting her arms around you as she starts pulling you outside. You can even here the two yell from inside but Yeri, your saviour, is already giggling as you make your way to their neighbor's house. And as the distance grows smaller, you start to feel uneasy, a rush of fear suddenly creeping into your whole body. Yeri might've noticed it because she holds unto you tighter, giving you a stern look like she knows what you're thinking.

 

"Mrs. Bae?" Yeri knocks.

 

It's not Mrs. Bae who opens it, but a cute boy who looks just like Irene. Yeri coos at the young man, ruffling his hair in the process. "Hello there, little Mark, is your mom home?"

 

"Yes. She's in the kitchen." He says, eyes fixiated on you. You were never good with kids, especially that you're the only child at home, so you just timidly waved at him and smiled.

 

Yeri pinches his fluffy cheeks. "Can we come in?"

 

"Sure sure." He gives way to you and though you just want to wait outside, Yeri pulls you in.

 

"Noona." You feel the young boy's hand gently tug your own. "What's your name?"

 

You giggle for a moment before crouching a bit to ruffle his hair too. "I'm Seulgi. Kang Seulgi."

 

"Seulgi." The boy, whom you know as Mark, says it again. Then he looks at you all flustered. "You're really pretty, but my noona is prettier."

 

If this came from another young boy, you'd be clearly taking offense on your side. But when he calls to the woman, whom he calls as noona, who's sitting in the living room, you realize there's nothing to feel offended aboout it. In front of you is your pretty stranger, the girl you've been thinking of for the past few weeks. There's something churning inside you, something foreign, something warm and nice.

 

You stare at each other for a while, like how it has always been, as you equally mirror the same suprised faces. Because now, there are no more glass windows between you. And most certainly no, there is no more distance from the stranger to you.

 

It's Yeri who cuts in both of your trances. "Uhm...I know you both know each other already but Seulgi, this is Irene, my neighbor. And Irene, this is Seulgi, a classmate and a friend of mine."

 

You smile at her widely before reaching a hand out. She shyly takes it and you swear, those were the softest hands you've ever held. She doesn't say anything, like how you do, and you just want to run right there and then because it's so awkward and stiff. You're sweating and your hands are cold after she held it. 

 

"I hope you don't mind that I brought my friend along."

 

It's the little boy Mark who tugs your hand again. "No, pretty girls are always welcome!" Then without any warning, he runs upstairs, leaving the three of you in the living room.

 

Yeri laughs before turning to Irene. "Is Mrs. Bae in the kitchen?"

 

"Yes, she is."

 

Gosh. Even her voice is pretty. It makes you want to cry.

 

"Great. I'll be giving this to her for a while. Stay there, Seul." 

 

And before you can even fight back, she already dashes to the kitchen, leaving you two in the living room, alone. You shuffle in your seat because she doesn't even look at you anymore. She doesn't even stand up from her seat to properly greet you. Now that you think of it, maybe it was so foolish of you to think that those bus interactions would actually bloom into a friendship you hope to have. You suddenly feel embarrased because you basically just barged in her house, without her invitation. Yeri, this is all your fault!

 

So much for thinking about it because she suddenly calls you out in the middle of an uncomfortable silence, "Seulgi."

 

And you never knew your name could sound this endearing and nice.

 

"Y-yeah?"

 

"I didn't know you were friends with Yeri." She tries to initiate a conversation, to which you're thankful of, with her eyes still anywhere but you.

 

"Uh yeah... She's my classmate and we just clicked." You awkwardly chuckled, just to ease the mood for a bit. But you somehow regret it because Irene doesn't say anything again. Then you figured out that you could muster a little of your remaining strength to save the awkward atmosphere.

 

"Are you..." You came of unsure, "..on the same age like us?" You ask, making sure it doesn't offend her atleast. So when she giggles (you finally hear her angelic laugh) at you, you start to feel your muscles finally relax and your toes uncurl.

 

"Yes." She briefly says so you nod, not really knowing what to say next. Where do you study? How come I've never seen you in school? Maybe the bus rides? Can you talk about it? You wanted to. But what if it's nothing to her? What if it's purely coincidence that she's always by the porch whenever your bus passes by? Alas, your negativity won because you never ask her about this. And you try not to think about it anymore.

 

"You're tall." She suddenly blurts out. And you first scan your figure suprised before looking at her in disbelief. 

 

"You call this tall?"

 

She giggles. "I mean, I never got to see you this close so I might've thought you weren't this tall."

 

Oh, so she remembers all those stare battles.

 

"You're prettier up close too." And you quickly cover your mouth on the impulsive comment. Your own words surprise you, and of course, the subject of your comment because Irene's cheeks are now in deep red and you don't need a mirror to know you probably look the same. "I-I mean...you're pretty...really pretty even from afar but y-you're prettier like..this..this close....I'm not rambling, am I?"

 

She doesn't seem to mind because she shuts you off by laughing at your current dumb state. Way to go Kang Seulgi, so much for a good impression.

 

"Thank you." She shyly mumbles. "You speak for yourself too."

 

And your heart bounced, all flattered because the most gorgeous person you've ever met just complimented your looks. And don't compliments hit differently when they're from people you find incredible pretty? 

 

You can't even say thanks because you feel undeserving of such comment. So you try to move to another conversation.

 

"Irene Bae." You cross your arms together with a wide grin. The way her name rolls out of your tongue is giving you chills because you suddenly want to say it all over again. The way she's looking at you in anticipation, and equally wide grin, is not helping either. "We've finally met."

 

She looks at you stunned before biting her lips as though trying to stop her lips from breaking out a wider grin. 

 

"Kang Seulgi." She sheepishly turns to you, "I didn't know you were this eager to meet me."

 

Huh?

 

HUH?

 

Did she just...? And you miserably fail because now, you're the one looking down, clearly embarrased as you realize how hinting her words were. Your cheeks are burning and you want to be swallowed right there and then. Were you really that obvious? Ugh. For the second time you say, way to go Kang Seulgi!

 

And she seemed to love your reaction because she lets out a victorious chuckle and you can't help but feel worse.

 

"And who's this pretty woman right here?" You turn to the voice startled. Yeri, along with presumably Mrs. Bae, is walking off from the kitchen. You immediately sprung from your seat. Before Irene or Yeri or you can even introduce yourself, the pretty Mrs. Bae looks at you surprised.

 

"Aren't you that kid from the bus?" She smiles widely at you and turns to her equally pretty daughter asking for confirmation.

 

"Hello Mrs. Bae. Yes, that would be me. I'm Yeri's friend too." You bow to her politely and she immediately coos at you.

 

"Oh dear...Irene has been talking a lot about you—"

 

"Mom!"

 

You are taken aback at what you just heard that you look at Irene, the flustered red Irene, who can't spare you a glance. It makes your lips stretch out into a teasing grin. 

 

Look who's eager now.

 

Mrs. Bae laughs. "Aigoo. I'm just glad the two of you finally met. And you, young lady..." She pinches your cheek. "..should've stopped by in those days. Didn't you know staring is rude?"

 

You shyly looked down. You're pretty sure Yeri is amused at the situation right now because you can already hear her muffled giggles even from a distance. "I-I'm sorry.. but I swear, it was purely good intentions."

 

"I was kidding!" The young-looking Mrs. Bae playfully nudges you. "I know you're far from being a dangerous stranger, Seulgi. In fact, I might've been told you resemble a bear—"

 

"Ugh." Irene grunts, having enough of her mother's playfulness and Mrs. Bae giggles even more. "Please stop embarrasing me."

 

A bear? Yeri is already laughing now and you turn to Irene, her eyes looking at you ashamed. You raise a brow at her. A bear? Sure you've been told many times that you resemble a lot of celebrities, but most certainly, not a bear. She removes her gaze at you, turning to play with the blanket in her lap. And you just noticed how her chicken blanket (that you've seen the first time you met her) has changed into a bunny and bear one, that you remember as Brown and Cony from Line. 

 

You can't help but wander your thoughts to assume.

 

Aaaaaah, you just want to jump around right now!

 

"Okay okay sorry." Mrs. Bae gestures you to grab the snacks she placed on the center table. And although you're dead full, you still grab that delicious looking sandwich because you want to please her, and Irene of course. 

 

"What year are you in, Seulgi?"

 

You politely put down your food. "Uhm...I'm a sophomore in high school now, same goes for Yeri."

 

"Oh?" Mrs. Bae is surprised again, "You're in the same age with Irene."

 

You just smile. "Yes. If I may ask, which school does Irene go to?"

 

And you don't know if you said something wrong because the three of them turns to you almost immediately. Mrs. Bae looks at you surprised, Yeri raises a brow at you as though amused, then Irene, your pretty stranger looking away from you as if she's been expecting you to ask. And you're starting to feel bad because there was a brief silence first before Mrs. Bae smiles at your cluelessness.

 

"I-I'm homeschooled." Irene says, finally meeting your eyes.

 

You're surprised. Honestly,  the first time you saw her, you thought she had that type of beauty whom highschool boys would die for. And with what you just heard, you're astounded. 

 

"Oh.." Is what you managed to say. "T-that's...that's cool."

 

"I don't know if you noticed but my daughter..." Mrs. Bae strides to where Irene sits. "..has been staying home."

 

You think about it. No wonder she stays by the porch every other day, on the same time, on the same second your bus passes. It doesn't bother you to the slightest. What's wrong with being homeschooled anyway?

 

"I did notice. It must be fun learning at home." You force out a smile, to show Irene it isn't something to be ashamed of. And she smiles too, eyes regaining it's life, relieved at the reaction you gave.

 

Mrs. Bae carresses her daughter's hair. "Aren't you curious why?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"Mom."

 

The way Irene gets startled while looking at her mom makes you confused. Now that you thnk about it, could there be other reasons why Irene doesn't go to school like you do? You wonder. You're curious, especially at the reaction she gave.

 

"Why? She's your friend, isn't she?"

 

Irene turns to you, a horrible look on her face tells you she's not comfortable talking about it. You frown. You don't mind not being told anyway. You've

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter