I- INTRO

UPSIDE DOWN

I- INTRO

June 21, 2019

DAYA

 

Oh my gosh.

 

Someone’s been looking at me for almost an hour. It might even be longer. But as the type of person whose head is always in the gutter, my brain manages to not realize these things sooner. I was out on a shoot for a modeling in a magazine TVC right in front of a flower shop, when I noticed something. It was like a pair of eyes following my move, a block away outside a coffee shop. He was wearing a greyish coat, a black cap, and his eyes are hiding behind the black sunglasses. The man had this short beard, and his body looks skinny for a guy but has a strong build. He had an aura like some sort of… a bum? I couldn’t clearly see from here but he looks like that from afar.

 

How did I realize he was looking at me, you wonder? Well, he was openly staring right in front of my face! Bommie told me a trick that if someone is staring at me, I should look at my watch. If he mimics my action then he probably is watching me. I did it, and he did it as well!

 

I also tried to look directly at him. I know I’m being reckless and stupid since this is a stranger we’re talking about. But what he did was, he adjusted his seat as it faced towards me. His elbows resting on each of his knees while he interlocked his hands, gazing into my eyes! I just knew that even if he is wearing sunglasses. I am not being dramatic, people. He just does it openly!

 

What’s his problem? I have no idea at all. I thought about if I ever stole something from a homeless person before, but I don’t even go out nowadays. Is he a fan? Have I ever done something bad to him? Ugh. I don’t know. This weird guy is giving me the creeps.

 

“Unnie, the photographer is ready. Are you good?” the PA almost made me jump from my seat on her interruption. I was holding on to my dear heart from the shock.

 

I looked at her and told her to come closer. She stared at me with bewildered eyes, silently asking if I was going crazy.

 

“Did you notice the guy a block away from a coffee shop wearing glasses and a gray coat? Is he still watching me?” I whispered in her ear.

 

She looked confused for a moment as she tried to find the man I was implying.

 

“Uhmm… But there’s no one there?”

 

I looked around myself and fair enough, the strange guy vanished into thin air. He must be a paparazzi or something. Or was I imagining it? I knew he was there. Was I starting to get hallucinations from working hard? I think I need more sleep. Ugh, let’s forget about it.

 

I stood up ready to go on the next location, when I yelped in surprise as I saw the weird guy walking towards us. His hands in his pocket as his face were hidden behind the coat.

 

What should I do? Should I call the guards and ask for help? What if he’s a harmless person? No way! Who stares at someone for such a long time?!

 

As I ponder on what move to make, said guy is already standing idly in front of me with a disinterested look. He then grabbed his coat seemingly trying to fish something  inside of it.

 

Is it a gun?? Is he going to shoot me!? Or is he a ert who’s in that coat?! I should really stop watching dramas, they’re getting to me.

 

I closed my eyes shut as I waited for the gunshot to end my life. Everything was rushing back to me. Is this what people see when they’re dying? The memories of my life flashed before my eyes. I waited for the world to end. Then, I waited more.

 

And... nothing happened. I swear I heard a soft snort though.

 

Maria, the PA who was still at my back, gingerly tapped my shoulder. I slowly opened my eyes and surprise! A single red rose is dangling in front of my face. I looked at the guy who had this uninterested look on his face, as he gestured again to his hand holding the flower. I complied with his request. I slightly tremble as my hand touches the stem, like he will stab me if I make the wrong move. He just looks menacing.

 

He removed his sunglasses. My mouth couldn’t help it as it moves on its own, making an ‘O’. Clearly he wasn’t a hobo, a stalker, or a ert. Or maybe he’s still in the stalker zone since he ogled at me far too long for a normal person. His eyes just stare right into my soul. His hair was black, cute button nose, smooth and fair skin, kissable lips, and a perfectly chiseled jawline. I swear I’m not trying to memorize his profile.

 

I’m not saying he’s handsome, but he is kind of cute. Okay, who am I kidding? He’s really attractive!

 

“You’re Daya Park, right?” The guy had the smoothest voice.

 

I stupidly nod in agreement, waiting for the specimen in front of me to say more. I am not charmed at all.

 

“I just dropped by. We’ll see each other again. Soon.” he continued as he winked at me and I awkwardly gawk at him. He then turned around, nonchalantly walking away. I looked at his retreating back as he got further.

 

“Unnie, do you know him?” Maria whispered as if he would hear us.

 

“I have no idea.” I muttered back.

 

---------♥---------

My phone vibrated as I ran down the hallway. I stopped as I read the message coming from none other than my nagging manager.

 

*Meet me at the usual place. Let’s eat, I’m starving!*

 

I typed in an okay then put the mobile back on my handbag, greeting a few passersby in return. As I walked towards the back exit going down the parking space, it vibrated again and I ignored it. She must be telling me I should hurry up. Then another vibration in my bag, indicating that she is already at the brink of insanity. A few more jolts and I brisk walked.

 

Gahh, Bommie really!? She can’t even wait for a few minutes!

 

I heard a loud ringtone, then ran from my car in a split second as I rummage through my bag just to stop this damn phone from annoying me. I swiped the answer button as I started the engine.

 

“Are you in a war?! Can't you wait for five minutes?!” I shot back angrily. Really, she doesn't know patience.

 

I pushed my feet on the accelerator and made my way to the said venue of medusa.

 

*Uh sorry. Did I call at a bad time?* I was confused for a moment and looked at the caller ID. I kicked the brake so hard I almost bumped my forehead.

 

“Choi! I'm so sorry! I thought it was Bommie. She's pestering me on her hunger strike. Again.” I groaned.

 

*What was that? Are you driving while on your phone? I told you to stop doing that.*

 

I lightly hit my head on the steering wheel, here's another mother hen. Choi and Bommie are like two peas in a pod. They never stopped trying to protect me. They said I'm the most precious, pure hearted person in all the land and humanity will be doomed if I get tainted... or hurt. I'm pretty sure they're messing with me every time they speak about it. It's their favorite sentence.

 

They shower me with don't do this or that. I know why. They just care a lot about me. He's like the second manager or he could be considered as my personal bodyguard actually. A brother is a good word but he acts more like a parent every single time.

 

We three have been together since day one. We met because our parents are longtime friends. In short, we're childhood buddies. Well, at first we weren't close as the two of them always fought. They have the same weird mind that I had to be the one to stop the fight whenever they get on each other's nerves. I was a peacemaker in the group and because of it, we can live in harmony. Not quite when we all get rowdy.

 

I smiled a bit as I exasperatedly sigh.

 

“Yes mom. I'm sorry I just thought Bommie’s calling, and I won't repeat it again. Really, I promise. What did you call me?”

 

*You’re going on a lunch date with the alien? Well… I did have something important to tell you.* he sounded unsure.

 

“You could join us, why don't you? It's just around the block.” I asked in return.

 

*I had to tell you.*

 

I thought for a moment. Tell me what?

 

What could he possibly want to say to me and not Bommie?

 

*You know what, I'll tell you next time. Take care though. Text the crazy woman you're leaving and to stop pestering you. See you bunny.* he hung up abruptly.

 

Before I could even react, a couple of more vibrations erupted from my phone. I sped away in a hurry, knowing that it was none other than my best friend. We don't want the evil queen to awaken her blackest magic. Curse Choi for calling at the wrong time. I can imagine her telling me it will be my treat for making her wait. There must be a conspiracy between the two from how perfectly timed the interruption was.

 

---------♥---------

“You’ll have a photoshoot this weekend. Oh, excuse me miss can you add a corn on my side dish?” the brown haired girl scrolled through the numerous menu as she typed on her laptop like she was the reincarnation of Mozart.

 

“Can you choose between my schedule, or are you ordering?” I blinked at her making a cute face in return.

 

She glared at me and I avoided her gaze, telling myself to go back and look at my own menu. My monster Bommie shouldn't be disturbed when she's furious, I should've known better.

 

“Aish, don't be angry Bommie. It's not my fault! Choi called me and- yes I'm sorry. I shouldn't have made you wait with our date. It's my treat. Don't look at me like that.” I fake a tear as I tried to make the saddest face in the world.

 

She didn't budge from my acting at all. The multiple interviews and awards that I got from being the best actress in the drama genre are inaccurate if Bommie is the viewer.

 

“That won't work Park. You almost stood me up didn't you?”

 

I rolled my eyes in response to her exaggeration. She can pass an audition for the role of an antagonist easily if she wanted to. She likes to rub it in my face whenever I don't go with her demands.

 

I was thinking of ways to change the subject when I remembered what happened earlier with the abnormal guy I’ve met, who flashed me a red rose. I told her about it and she seemed adamant of her poker face until I said he looks way different when he removed the coat.

 

“Wait, so is he handsome? Like the boy next door type?” she asked while picking her salad, her interest piqued.

 

“He's kind of… my type?” Her eyes twinkle as we both squeal in delight.

 

“Wait, it doesn't change that he was stalking and the beard is also a no. He is creepy I told you.” I added, matter of factly.

 

“Speaking of handsome guys, you'll be working on another shoot next week. They said it's a group photo with the new guys. I saw the pictures, and one of them looks like your perfect prince charming.” her eyebrows rose playfully.

 

“I can't believe you're selling me.” I shot back.

 

She vehemently denied the allegations and continued to tell me that I should work on the mature world of modeling. I have declining offers in photoshoots since I at it. I just don't know how to act seductively. I think I lack the appeal and the camera hates me. The photographers always told me I won't be able to do any of the future projects since I can only act cute in front of the lens. I am getting older as well; they want me to showcase more of a woman not a girl.

 

Believe me when I said I’ve been trying. Mr Yoon, who was one of the most famous shutterbugs, once told me that I would only be able to produce them if I fall in love with someone. He says sensuality will be natural if you are attracted to someone.

 

That’s the problem. All my life I only prioritize my work. Love was only meant for my family. I had a few crushes here and there but truthfully, I don’t know what the word meant. I am the good girl and the breadwinner of my family. I usually hear people telling me I’m too uptight about meeting guys. I guess they’re kind of right.

 

“You’re already 24! Why don’t you try meeting new people? I can give you a push.” she suggested as she wiggled her eyebrows. Bommie has a lot of networks and she dated different guys since she and I were young. She’s just the easygoing type of girl that can chat comfortably with any species.

 

Me? I’ve read the magazines where they talk about meeting me in person, and it always says that I have this impenetrable elegance that makes it hard to approach. To put it simply, I make other people feel awkward when I get introduced to someone new. That’s my specialty.

 

“Are you really my manager or a matchmaker?”

 

“Daya, if you wait any longer you’ll be declined of offers! I don’t want to starve.” She looked at me with determination in her eyes, ready to sell my soul to the dark entities. She’s using me for money, everyone. Beware of hungry money driven best friends.

 

I rolled my eyes at her as the food began pouring in on our table. My eyes are like saucers as three waiters approached us.

 

“Did you just order everything on the menu?!” I stood up in shock.

 

“This isn’t enough. Oh, by the way, I signed you up in an audition for the female lead role. If you pass, you can go to the Philippines.” she said, as she readied her spoon to onslaught.

 

“Isn’t that nice? You can just be lost in the jungle so you could protect your hymen forever.” she added, pleased with herself.

 

My legs gave away as I sat in silence while she gobbled up the food. God help us all if Bommie ever becomes president. Humanity will be doomed.