when the flowers bloom. ❜❜

Sunflowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin.

She heard her name, called out by a soft voice she was familiar with.
 

Yujin.

Hearing that voice once more, it seemed like the person was walking toward her. Yujin felt a light tap on her shoulder.

Yujin-sunbae, wake up.

Furrowing her brows, Yujin's eyes languidly opened. The corners of her peripherals caught the blurred image of the person beside her. Slowly raising her head up, she rubbed her eyes then stretched out her arms and feet while yawning. The blurred figure came into focus, and Yujin flashed a smile at her.

"Wonyoung-ah. what are you doing here?" Yujin asked in a low whisper.

"Yujin-sunbae, I apologize for waking you up. I um... I wanted to give something to you," Wonyoung sheepishly replied.

Yawning once again, Yujin slightly rotated her revolving chair toward the tall girl. "Oh, what is it?"

As she eyed the younger girl, Wonyoung fiddled with her fingers to ease her anxiety. Knowing her for almost two years, Yujin considered Wonyoung as a lovely and shy junior at work. Yujin tugged the hem of Wonyoung's blazer to signal her that she was waiting. Wonyoung soon realized, then she put her hand on her back.

Yujin gaped at the sight of a small gift coming from Wonyoung.

"H-happy birthday, Yujin-sunbae," Wonyoung greeted with her head turned to her side. Yujin could've sworn the red color of the younger's cheeks, and she let out a soft chuckle.

"Thanks Wonyoung-ah," Yujin flashed another smile, along with her eyes that formed crescents. "I really appreciate it."

Jolting from surprise, Wonyoung covered the entirety of her face with her handkerchief she tensely fished out from her pocket. She didn't want Yujin seeing her tomato-colored face, but Yujin already knew.

"I-it's nothing, sunbae."

Yujin got a pair of scissors from her desk to open Wonyoung's gift. She seemed eager, and Wonyoung was glad. Struggling to open the gift, Yujin almost tore up the gift itself. If she did, then she would've felt bad toward Wonyoung. Getting rid of the gift wrap, she was given a small box.

"Oh~ I wonder what's inside?"

Not wanting to waste time, she quickly removed the lid of the box. Inside, was a pendant in the shape of a sunflower. Her eyes unmistakably glimmered in joy after receiving such a gift. She opened the pendant eventually, and a picture of her and Wonyoung came into her view. It was a lovely picture. She remembered it way back, when Wonyoung just began working at the office. The younger girl was naturally shy, so she had almost no one to talk to during break hours, but one day, she had the courage to approach Yujin, and asked for a picture.

"This brings me back," Yujin remarked.

"Y-yes. It's the reason as to why I became good friends w-with you, sunbae."

Flashing another smile, Yujin stood up from her office chair. She set the box down on her desk and walked toward Wonyoung.

Engulfing the younger girl in a hug, Yujin whispered in her ears. "Thanks, this really means a lot to me."

Wonyoung felt like she could pass out at any moment now. She never experienced being this close to Yujin. Her hands shakily hovered over Yujin's back. Wanting to tightly hug the older girl, she reckoned that she had no right to do so for she knew that Yujin could never be hers. It was a sad reality for her, but she felt contented with what relationship she has with her.

She somehow managed to calm down and reciprocated Yujin's hug. "L-like I said, it's nothing."

Breaking free from their hug, Yujin grabbed the younger's shoulders. "You should see every little thing in life as valuable--as something special--and that it will remain something you'll cherish until the end."

Her eyes gleamed from Yujin's words and it somehow made her realize things. Flashing a smile, Wonyoung said with a nod, "I... I see. Thanks, sunbae." I guess you are one of those little things that are special to me, sunbae.

Yujin plopped back into her seat and grabbed her phone from her desk. She looked at the time, which was almost three in the afternoon.

"Ah, I forgot to say sunbae. Eunbi-ssi wanted to tell you that you can go home early from work. It's your birthday, after all."

"Oh, that's great!" Yujin yelled gleefully. "I was expecting a buffet of some sort, but I think that's not bad."

"G-good for you then. Are you meeting up with her?" Wonyoung asked.

"Yeah. I better get going if that's the case. I still have things to buy."

"I-I see. Mind if I..." With Wonyoung's words trailing off, Yujin raised her brow.

"What's wrong?"

"I-It's nothing!" Wonyoung assured. "I guess I'll go back to work too."

"Okay. Don't go too hard on yourself."

"I won't."

As Wonyoung left, Yujin cleaned up her desk before she could leave. As she walked by, her co-workers would wave at her and greet her a happy birthday. She simply expressed her gratitude by smiling and bowing at them. Before leaving the building, she saw Wonyoung once more, on her way back to her own office. Fortunately, their eyes met, and Yujin waved her hand one last time. Wonyoung also waved her hand before Yujin crossed the street.

Walking alone on the sidewalk, the sun came into her view as she took a turn; radiant, like she had never seen anything like it before, bathing everything in the world in golden hues. Yujin stopped shortly before continuing her walk as she wanted to admire the sun in its glory. Feeling contented, she continued her walk, eventually arriving at her family's flower shop.

"Yah, Yujin-ah. Good to see you," Chaewon, one of the workers, waved at her over the counter.

"Chaewon-unnie, how's business doing?" Yujin greeted back.

"Like the usual, thankfully. You know if this flower shop closes, I wouldn't allow it. I just love smelling the flowers here!" Chaewon enthusiastically remarked.

Yujin heaved a sigh. "Well, I hope that you're not praying for that. You know this place is special to me."

"Yeah, yeah. You told me the story before. How could one forget such a wonderful story?"

"Whatever."

Approaching the sunflowers, Yujin admired them as they faced the sun. Leaning a bit forward, the fragrant smell wafted under her nose. Taking in deep breaths, she felt refreshed from the fragrance alone.

She then heard a slam on the counter.

"It's your birthday?!" Chaewon incredulously asked. She just found out after looking in her social media.

Yujin frowned. "Out of all the things you could forget, it's my birthday?" Yujin let out a fake sniffle to tease Chaewon. "I'm going to cry."

Chaewon leaned forward, drawing her hand toward Yujin as if she was trying her best to reach the latter. "I'm sorry~! I'll buy you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter