when the night comes. ❜

Sunflowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wind blew, bringing a somewhat comforting feeling to Yujin as she stood idly in the middle of a place she doesn't really know what it was. Eyes swollen and a snot dripping from her nose, she stopped crying when she found herself captivated by the moon, glowing in all of its glory, illuminating everything around the innocent young girl.

Staring at it for a little bit longer, the cold breeze whispered in her ears, then she shivered in the cold. Sniffling once more, she heard little footsteps growing louder as if someone was walking towards her. She looked back over her shoulder, and there, she was greeted by another girl. Judging from her height, Yujin assumed that the girl was older than her.

Yujin sniffled once again, and tears welled up in her eyes. "U-unnie?"

The other girl's rather calm face was quickly overwritten with shock and worry. "W-wait! Why are you crying all of a sudden?"

Wiping her tears with her tiny arms, Yujin ran toward the other girl and engulfed her in a hug. "Unnie!"

"H-hold on! I'm not your unnie!" the other girl yelled, grabbing Yujin by her shoulders. She looked at the latter's eyes filled with tears, seeing her own distorted reflection through it.

Sighing, the older girl brushed Yujin's hair and sat down. The blades of the grass were quite cold and harsh to her porcelain skin, but it felt rather comfy. "Hey. Sit down, will you?"

Yujin somehow obeyed the instruction coming from a complete stranger, but deep inside her, she trusted that the older girl wasn't a bad person. Plopping down, the latter sighed before saying anything.

"What is your name?" she asked.

"Y-Yujin. Ahn Yujin."

"Yujin..."

Yujin huffed and pouted at the same time as she stared at the older girl. "What about you unnie? What is your name?"

Closing her eyes as she sighed exasperatedly, the older girl looked at Yujin intently. "I just said it a while ago. I am not your unnie. I am a complete stranger to you, am I not?"

"W-what? Unnie, I do not understand," Yujin replied, overly confused. Being young and innocent made it quite hard for her to understand.

"Please stop calling me unnie," the older girl suggested.

"Then what should I call you?" Yujin asked.

"Kim Minjoo."

"Ah!" Yujin yelled excitedly. "Minjoo-unnie!"

The older girl shut her eyes as she released an exasperated sigh. She then put her hand on Yujin's head and ruffled the latter's hair. "You're so stubborn, you know?"

"I'm sorry, Minjoo-unnie," Yujin apologized while she beamed at Minjoo.

Minjoo let out another deep sigh. "So, why were you crying?"

Seeing Yujin frown a bit, Minjoo thought that it was a bad idea asking that because she thought she'd make her cry again. Thankfully, Yujin did not for some odd reason.

"I got separated from my parents. I tried looking for them but I ended up here instead," Yujin answered in a low whisper.

"I see. Well, let's go look for your mother and father," Minjoo suggested as she brushed her thighs getting soiled by the grass blades, standing up eventually and holding Yujin's small hand. The latter followed the former's movement while was slightly gaping in some kind of amusement.

Minjoo side-glanced at Yujin and peered through her eyes. "What are you looking at? Is there something on my face?"

"There is nothing except that it is beautiful," Yujin retorted honestly, then stopped short, sighing. "I thought Minjoo-unnie was kind but Minjoo-unnie is actually quite rude."

Dilating her eyes in shock, Minjoo doesn't really know if she was being attacked or complimented. "Sh-shut up."

Stealing a side glance from Yujin, Minjoo swore she saw the younger girl's eyes welling up with tears. Maybe she did sound a bit rude, but it was something along the lines of she doesn't practically want to hear compliments coming from other people.

Seeing Yujin frown, sweat perspired on Minjoo's forehead. "H-hey! Don't cry now!"

"Minjoo-unnie is rude!" Yujin yelled out, stomping her tiny foot on the grass. Her words were frankly laced with slight anger and she was on the verge of crying.

Sighing, Minjoo sat down on her knees and placed her hand on Yujin's hair. "I'm sorry, Yujin-ah."

"I thought Minjoo-unnie is rude! I do not understand you at all, Minjoo-unnie," Yujin replied, facing the older girl.

Minjoo turned her back to Yujin. "I'm not rude. You're just stubborn, you know?"

Slowly lifting her face up, Yujin looked at Minjoo. "I am... stubborn?"

Gasping, Minjoo covered in remorse for saying something like that suddenly without consideration. "U-um... What I mean is-"

"Maybe that is why they left me."

Those words—Minjoo wasn't expecting those words coming from a child, assuming Yujin was two years younger than her; where Minjoo was eight at that time. Considering their ages, Minjoo seemed like the immature one for spitting out those words despite her being the older person. Then—

"I won't leave you."

After saying those, Minjoo was shocked that those words came out of . She thought that maybe she said something rude again, but gladly it wasn't the case. She eyed the younger girl, Yujin, who had slightly gaping in awe of some sort. A smile eventually crept on Yujin's lips as she moved closer to Minjoo to engulf her into a hug.

"Really?" Yujin asked, sniffling a couple of times in the process. The reply she got was a simple nod.

As their bodies parted ways, Yujin cheekily planted a peck on Minjoo's cheek. She leaned back to admire the older girl's face after that unsuspecting kiss, and Yujin seemed happy with Minjoo's reaction.

"W-what did you just-"

As she caressed the cheek that Yujin kissed, Minjoo couldn't help but stumble in her words. She wasn't expecting that at all; even coming from an innocent child.

"It is a thank you, unnie," Yujin kindly replied.

Minjoo could have sworn that her cheeks felt hot and her heart was racing.

"W-well, I guess you are welcome."

Standing back up, Minjoo brushed off the dirt from her dress and grabbed Yujin by her hand. She somehow felt a bit embarrassed after holding the younger's hand. It feels soft. She began to walk toward a bed of flowers she saw a while ago when she found the crying Yujin. The latter just eyed Minjoo in wonder as she was being dragged.

"Where are we going?"

The whisper of the wind answered Yujin's question. Minjoo remained silent, or she seemingly did not hear the question

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter