Third Base

Pitcher's Mound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jiwoo impatiently tapped her foot against the pavement, checking her phone every five seconds. It's already been 15 minutes past their meeting time, and Heejin was nowhere to be seen. The redhead had previously called the latter multiple times with no luck. 

 

Looking over her left shoulder, Jiwoo nervously smiled at the other couple, Jungeun and Jinsoul, who were also waiting on Heejin so all four could go on their planned double date. "I-I'm sure Heekki will come up at any moment." The couple reassuringly nodded in response.

 

She better be here. Where the hell is she?! Sure, Jiwoo has been embarrassed by doing dumb things in front of her past crushes. But being stood up in front of Jungeun by her pretend girlfriend, Heejin, would probably top the charts in most embarrassing moments.

 

Suddenly, a vivid pink rose popped in front of Jiwoo. "A rose for my dearest Chuu," Heejin's eye slightly twitched, doing her best to keep her composure while a beaming smile to complete her facade. "I'm sorry for being late, Chuu baby, I saw this rose and had to buy it for you."

 

With pink dusted cheeks, Jiwoo cheerfully accepted the simple gesture. She has never received a pet name in her previous relationships, and the redhead was happy to have one finally. Too bad, the most adorable nickname she has ever heard was given to her by a fake lover.

 

"Oh my, you didn't have too!" The redhead squealed. 

 

"I know, but we've been dating for a couple of months now and just thought you would like it." Heejin bought a pink rose for Jiwoo to celebrate their '2-month' anniversary, at least that was the excuse she said to impress Jungeun and looked over at the reaction of the brunette, surely it worked.

 

Jiwoo allowed Heejin to close the distance between them. Her heart raced to realize how close they were, and if it were possible, her beating heart sped up even faster from Heejin's soft and gentle touch. The younger girl tucked the trimmed flower in between Chuu's headband by her ear, neatly displaying the flower to emphasize Jiwoo's beauty. 

 

Heejin found the situation odd. They were usually always at each other's throats, still avoiding the other. But she could get used to this, even though everything was an act, she wouldn't mind if it were real...then her mind had to cut her thought process short. What are you thinking, Heejin?! Jungeun is the one you want, not Jiwoo.

 

They both nervously smiled, unsure of what to do next to keep up their fake interactions, leaving an awkward atmosphere between the two. 

 

Jungeun and Jinsoul observed the couple, and they were expecting to see them kiss, or even a loving embrace, but they were a bit disappointed that nothing happened. It was a shame the perfect moment was left unfulfilled. Maybe it was because they were shy to show PDA out in public?

 

"Ok, now that we are all here, let's pick up our tickets for the movie." Jungeun led the group to a movie theater close to campus.

 

Once the group made their way to the theater, Jiwoo picked up her pace, and Heejin instantly caught on to redhead's plan and closely trailed behind her, steadily increasing her walking speed. The pretend couple didn't want to make it obvious, but Jinsoul and Jungeun giggled at their silly antics. 

 

The redhead slammed her cash in front of the cashier, startling the poor teen employee. "Four tickets to see Frozen 2 at the next showing!" The startled employee stared in concern at the huffing and puffing girl, but that didn't stop Jiwoo from cheekily grinning in her secret victory.

 

After finally catching up, Jinsoul cooed at the redhead's sweet gesture. "Aww, you're so sweet. You didn't have to do that." The blonde turned to her girlfriend, "Your friend is so sweet, Jungie."

 

Heejin clicked her tongue at her loss, but then a light bulb popped in her head. "While you get our tickets Chuu-baby, I'm going to get us some snacks." She quickly ran inside and even cut in front of another couple that wasn't paying attention.

 

After the three received their tickets, they followed inside and found Heejin masterfully carrying two large popcorns and drinks in her small arms. 

 

Jinsoul pouted at how adorable the small girl looked carrying the oversized snacks. She was flattered that the other couple was treating her and Jungeun so well, especially since the two didn't know the blonde very well.

 

"And here you go." Heejin handed over a drink and popcorn for Jinsoul and Jungeun to take. 

 

Jungeun took a sip from her soda and was pleasantly surprised. "How did you know what I like?"

 

Heejin chuckled, "Oh please, we have known each other for a year. I noticed that you always have a coke bottle on the side of your bag." She then turned her attention to her fake girlfriend. "And this is for you, sweetie. I got your favorite, of course."

 

The redhead did her best not to glare at Heejin for scoring points with Jungeun and took the drink. "Thanks, Heekki!" Heejin evilly smirked as Jiwoo sipped from her straw and almost gagged once the medicine tasting liquid hit her tongue, leaving an awful aftertaste.

 

Since the two baseball players spend a lot of time together at practice, they know what the other likes and dislikes were, and Heejin knew Jiwoo despised diet Dr. Pepper. 

 

Jiwoo did her best to keep a fake smile. Oh? So that's how you want to play? Well, two can play at this game.

 

The four girls entered the designated theater, and they all shivered from the AC blasting frigid air. After they found their numbered seats, Jinsoul lifted the armrest that separated her seat from Jungeun's so they could cuddle together. The blonde was well prepared and brought out a blanket from her oversized purse, and the couple snuggled together in warmth.

 

The fake couple sat down and followed suit, lifting the armrest that separated them, but unlike Jinsoul, Heejin and Jiwoo weren't prepared for the unexpected indoor winter climate. 

 

But the situation was the perfect opportunity for Jiwoo to launch her revenge. "Hey babe, can I wear your jacket, I'm freezing." she exaggerated her shivering and laced her voice with sugary sweetness and puppy eyes, making sure Jungeun overheard them.

 

"Of course," Heejin complies to display that she is the best girlfriend ever, but now she was left as cold as an ice cube and spotted Jiwoo smirking. That .

 

Sure, the tactic was a bit of a double-edged sword, making Heejin look good in front of Jungeun again, but she got her mini revenge over the latter, and that's what mattered. Jiwoo relished in happiness under Heejin's lingering warmth in her jacket. There was a faint aroma of vanilla from what must have been Heejin's scent, making her question her giddiness over her revenge or if it was something else entirely.

 

The movie finally started after a half-hour of previews. Just because the film was named Frozen, the theater didn't have to be frozen as well! Heejin cursed under her shivering breath that Jiwoo took her only source of warmth.

 

It was only a few minutes into the movie, and the redhead could feel the shorter girl's trembling body pressed up against her arm. She felt terrible that Heejin was the only one left out in the cold theater, no wait, this was her chance to make her look good. Yeah! Jiwoo proceeded to slip the oversized jacket off, scooting closer together while she did her best to cover their two bodies. 

 

There were no refutes, or complaints from the inviting warmth and Heejin instinctively placed her legs over Jiwoo's and embraced her so that it was easy to snuggle into her warm body. If Heejin weren't so concerned with her own racing heart, she would have noticed the rapid pace of Jiwoo's.

 

Jungeun noticed the movement of the couple next to them, and she pointed over for Jinsoul to see. They both smiled at the cuddling girls, and they followed suit and snuggled closer together.

 

Heejin happens to see Junguen kissing, and surprisingly, she didn't feel anything. Weren't you supposed to feel a mix of jealousy and anger or sadness if you saw your crush kissing someone else? It was especially weird because she's had a crush on the swimmer for a whole year. Then she thought, why did she like Jungeun? Yes, she is stunningly beautiful and athletic, but she didn't know much about the brunette.

 

Heejin turns her head to face Jiwoo, startling the redhead as she snapped her head in the opposite direction. Heejin could have sworn those dark brown eyes were gazing at her lips. Nah, she must have imagined it, and did it matter if she was? Her eyes flitted down at the strawberry plump lips of Jiwoo, then quickly looking away, hoping she didn't notice.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

Jiwoo casually entered her room, which was a rare occasion, as she usually busts the door down with her return.

 

"So, how was your date with your archnemesis?" Chaewon voiced out from across the room.

 

"Who?"

 

The blonde irked her head to the side at her roommate's odd response. "Heejin...your sworn rival. The girl you have been arguing with since you've met. The reason you vent out to me every night."

 

It finally registered in Jiwoo's head. "Oh, right. Heekki- I mean Heejin."

 

Chaewon was surprised to hear a pet name for Heejin. But before she could interrogate more about Jiwoo's double date, she already escaped into the bathroom to shower.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

The four girls continued to have double dates every weekend, whether they were lunch or dinner dates, sometimes even casual coffee shop dates, spending hours at the shop savoring their cafe drinks, and their time together. 

 

Jiwoo and Heejin quickly fell into the routine, and they grew even bolder to try to one-up their affection for the other, most of the time forgetting the main reason why they went out on dates. It eventually became second nature to them, giving each other small gifts, contemplating what to wear for their next date, tightly embracing one another. Even all the little things felt natural like holding hands at any given moment or warmly gazing into each other's eyes, sometimes even shifting their stare at the other's lips, but they pretend not to notice.

 

All these changes didn't pass Chaewon either. Jiwoo complained less and less about Heejin. In fact, she almost seemed giddy and happy every time she came home from one of their "dates."

 

It's been a couple of months since the two started their pretend relationship and Chaewon couldn't stifle her curiosity any longer. "Ok, it's time to be honest, Jiwoo."

 

Jiwoo hummed in response as she pondered what outfit to wear for her next double date. What was once a neat and a clean pile of clothing, was now a big mess on the floor while her bed was used to display the final three outfits she would choose to wear for the night.

 

"Do you have feelings for Heejin?" The small blonde asked.

 

Jiwoo furrowed her brows together, focusing more on her clothes over the question. "What do you mean?"

 

"Don't pretend you haven't noticed yourself lately. You haven't complained about Heejin at all; if anything, you seem happy whenever you talk about your double dates with her."

 

The redhead continued to ignore her roommate and ask

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter