Second Base

Pitcher's Mound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

It was finally the long-awaited day. After pouring blood, sweat, and tears into practice after practice, it was all in preparation for this day. Both universities had heated athletic rivalries in almost every sport, and tonight, it was time to see which baseball team stood on top. 

 

The home team warmed up for their match, sprinting short sprint drills across the field, throwing and catching balls, and stretching out their muscles. Heejin’s throwing shoulder had a slight ache. Perhaps it wasn’t the smartest idea, spending extra hours every week practicing her pitches. She hated to admit that she was overworking herself because of a certain someone, and she knew better than anyone that the redhead’s skills were unmatched. In the back of the younger pitcher's mind, Jiwoo has always been the better player.

 

Heejin couldn’t stand the sight of Jiwoo. She hated the fact that Jiwoo has only been playing baseball for a few years while Heejin has been playing practically her entire life. The redhead was apparently a natural at the sport, the few years of playing resulted in her being better than Heejin. How could life possibly be this unfair? If Heejin took one step closer to catch up to her rival, Jiwoo was somehow at least two steps ahead. Tonight wasn’t just a rivalry match between two teams, but also a test of skill for the two female pitchers.

 

Jiwoo took her place on the mound first to start the game off. She had a habit of flashing smiles and shooting occasional finger hearts before she pitches, causing batters’ concentration to falter a bit. Maybe that’s how she manages to strike out most of these boys that fluster over a simple gesture from the older pitcher. The redhead is the utter definition of the word cute. Trust me, just check your dictionary, and Kim Jiwoo would be the two words to describe: cute and adorable.

 

Heejin carefully observed every movement of the latter, analyzing her pitches, from the moment she started to wind up, to how she twisted her body as she lunged out, hurling the ball blindingly fast. Sure, she saw Jiwoo pitch almost every day, but her pitches during a real game were always more spectacular compared to her pitches during practice. The ace pitcher had no trouble striking out the first set of batters. 

 

Unlike Jiwoo’s cute pitching routine, Heejin’s approach was the opposite, giving off a death glare to the opposing batter. She has been living her life trying to prove she was just as good as boys, she has been ridiculed countless times for playing a male sport. There was no way she would expose any form of weakness. Jiwoo carefully watched Heejin as she pitched, she’s always admired how versatile Heejin was. Every pitch seemed to curve and contort differently from the previous. She knew she would hate having to bat against her unpredictable curveballs.

 

Just like any other team, most of the team’s roster knew how to pitch, but the two girls were leagues better and threw for most of the game. They were benched when it was time for them to bat to give them some rest. 

 

After hours of playing, the game continued with no determined victor. It was much closer than expected, their rival school has been undefeated this season just like them. Spectators in the stands edged their seats with anticipation, the score was tied up, and the game had to go into extra innings.

 

If nine regular innings weren’t exhausting enough already, extra innings was a test of endurance and perseverance. The drawn-out game caused concern for Heejin’s weakness, her stamina. Well, it was more like she didn’t pace herself efficiently, using up too much energy in the first half of the game. The coach was aware of Heejin’s flaw, and despite his warnings, Heejin still made the same mistake. She puts the fault on Jiwoo, Heejin felt the need to pitch just as fast and as hard as the redhead. How else was she going to best the other? 

 

The game was now in its ninth extra inning, the score still tied, both teams have been unable to make any more points. It became more apparent that Heejin’s pitches were weakening throughout the game. The ebony-haired girl was in the rotation to pitch next, but her throws were becoming more inconsistent, and she could no longer ignore the burning ache in her shoulder. 

 

“Jeon, I know you’re up next in the pitching rotation, but I think it would be best for you to rest now. I’ll put Kim-”

 

“No! I can do this coach.” Refusing to let Jiwoo pitch instead of her.

 

The coach looked at her with a bit of doubt, with a heavy sigh, reluctantly agreed. It was hard to turn down the girl’s determination. Maybe it had to do something with the fire that lit her eyes, and he just hoped he wouldn’t regret his decision. “Ok, Jeon, just make sure to follow the catcher’s calls then.”

 

Heejin started the inning off with mediocrity, and things didn’t get better as her condition was faltering with every throw. She barely managed to strike out the first batter. Luckily the second batter wasn’t able to take any bases as his ball was caught mid-air. Heejin’s shoulder was tiring out, and by the time she got to the third batter, her pitches were a bit off, allowing the batter to take second base. 

 

The fourth batter readied himself on home plate, pointing his bat towards the sky, signaling he was going to hit a home run. The girl chuckled at the motion, as if. She only had to strike out one more batter, and the teams could switch sides.

 

As Heejin readied herself, spotting Jiwoo in her peripherals, shaking her head in disapproval. Heejin scowled at her teammate and returned her gaze at the batter. She wanted to prove herself, prove she was better than Jiwoo. She ignored the signal her catcher was giving to pitch a changeup. Instead, Heejin changed her grip to throw a four-seam fastball, Jiwoo’s signature pitch. 

 

Her throwing shoulder was searing, but she ignored the pain. Heejin wound up for her pitch and flung the ball with all her might. A four-seam fastball is a straightforward pitch and solely relied on speed to strike out a batter. Unfortunately, the pitch was not fast enough, and the path was too predictable. To her dismay, a clear *clink* rang out through the stadium. The batter effortlessly made contact with the ball as he swung and sent it flying into the stands. 

 

“A HOME RUN!” The away crowd cheered, reflecting the same excitement the announcers blared over the speakers.

 

Every head from the home team hung to the floor. Now the rival team was ahead by two more points. 

 

The coach was pissed, ok pissed was understatement from the look of the veins that are about to burst by his temples because his pitcher blatantly ignored the strategic calls he specifically said to follow. He yells out in rampant, immediately calling Heejin off the mound so Jiwoo could replace her. 

 

“Better luck next time Jeon, hopefully, you didn’t cost us this game.” Heejin winced when Jiwoo’s shoulders collided with her injured side as they walked past. 

 

To taunt the latter, Jiwoo turned a blind eye to the catcher’s calls. Instead of the planned out pitches, she decided to use Heejin’s specialty pitches. Their coach is going to be furious that his players continued to ignore him, but it would be well worth the scolding and screaming once she shows Heejin up. Jiwoo was confident in her abilities and her condition was much better than the latter. The ace pitcher has never seen the younger pitcher throw so inconsistent before, she brushed the thought away. Jiwoo’s curveballs and screwballs were more predictable than Heejin’s, but they were much faster, striking out the last batter.

 

It was the home team’s last chance to somehow turn around the two-point lead of the away team. The batters made their last-ditch effort, but the players’ hopes and prayers were left unanswered, there was no miracle for them tonight, and the home team lost by one point.

 

As soon as the game ended, Heejin left the dugout without a word. She wanted nothing more than to evade the deflated, perhaps even spiteful, stares of her fellow team members. The coach shook his head, he knew that his pitcher was going to learn from her mistake after this night, and if any player was harder on themselves, it was Heejin.

 

Heejin hurled her glove at her locker, wincing from the pain in her shoulder. It was only after she attempted to take her shirt off she realized how awful the sharp burning sensation became. She was furious. She had cost the team the win, and Jiwoo had completely one-upped her. Her eyes glossed over, her tear ducts began to well up from her frustration. If only she hadn’t let Jiwoo get in her head. If only she weren’t so selfish and prideful, the game could have resulted differently. Or maybe she just simply wasn’t good enough, and Jiwoo should have pitched as the coach had initially planned. She tried her best to massage her shoulder as hot tears streamed down her cheeks.

 

The locker room door swung open, a beaming smile, and crescent eyes seem to light up the dim room. Even after a loss, the girl’s positive mood remained unaffected.

 

.

 

The last person Heejin wanted to see appeared before her. She somehow forgot the possibility of Jiwoo walking in, only wishing for complete solitude to sulk.

 

Before Jiwoo arrived, she was ready to mock and brag to her junior. Maybe even give her a good earful that the team lost because of her. She couldn’t wait to see the look on Heejin’s face, but her smile fell at the sight of the tear-stained girl, even her chest tightened a bit. If Heejin hadn’t turned away, she would have noticed Jiwoo’s facial expression soften with concern.

 

Who would want their rival to witness this side of them? It showed weakness and could leave anyone feeling vulnerable. Heejin has always been an emotional wreck when it came to her game performance. Only her brother has ever seen her like this, and he was always the one to lift her spirits. The shorter girl desperately tried to wipe away her tears as Jiwoo cautious

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter