Chapter 4

Beauty and the Geek

The sun rises slowly into the morning sky. Shining down onto the town of Jeonju starting a new day. It's sun rays shine through one particular window, stirring awake the room's inhabitants. Well, at least one of them.

Jessica slowly opens her eyes at the feeling of the sun beaming on her face.

'Aigoo! I should've closed the curtains before going to sleep last night.'

She looks over at the clock sitting on the nightstand, and finds that it's only 7:30 in the morning. She groans because she knows she won't be able to fall back to sleep now that the sun has so graciously awakened her. Huff.

Jessica begins to stretch her body but immediately freezes when she feels another body pressed against her. She looks down when she feels an arm wrap tightly around her waist, pulling her closer.

Jessica doesn't freak out because she already knows who's invading her personal space, the same person that invaded her dreams throughout the night. 
 

"Okay, this makes getting up a little more difficult," she whispers as she tries to remove herself from Taeyeon's hold and get out of the bed to wash up. After a few times of trying but only to be pulled back, Jess gives up and just lays on the bed staring at the ceiling.

"I'll protect you," Jessica starts at hearing the sudden confession from the girl beside her. She looks over to see that Taeyeon is still fast asleep.

Turning over to face the sleeping girl Jessica stares at her sleeping face, "Who are you protecting in your sleep Kim Taeyeon," she whispers.

'She's so cute when she sleeps!' Jessica squeals on the inside. She watches Taeyeon and studies her face for a couple more minutes, but gets drowsy as the minutes tick by. She's finally lulled back to sleep by sound of Taeyeon's breathing.

*BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ*
 

Taeyeon slowly wakes at the sound of the low buzz. When she fully opens her eyes they grow even wider when she comes face-to-face with a sleeping Jessica. She slowly looks down to see her arm wrapped tightly around the sleeping girl, inhaling sharply before yanking her arm off. But the quickness and force of her sudden movement causes her to fall off the bed and onto the floor.

"Ah!" she lets out a scream.

Jessica is startled out of her sleep because of the sudden noise. She looks to her side and noticed the missing person. "Taeyeon," she questions aloud.

The younger girl is still sprawled out on the floor when she hears the sweet voice call out her name. She immediately pops up like a jack-in-the-box from off the floor, "Ne?"

Taken aback by the girl's sudden appearance it takes Jessica a few seconds to respond. "Why were you on the floor?" 

"Huh," Taeyeon asks dumbly. "Oh, I had fe---I was looking for something under the bed," she saves herself from making a fool out of herself.

"Then, why did you scream," Jessica further questions. She furrows her eyebrows and slightly narrows her eyes while looking at Taeyeon for answers.

"Why  did I scream? Um, there was a bug under the bed." Taeyeon smiles slightly, proud of herself for coming up with such a quick cover up.

But the girl sitting on the bed stares at Taeyeon for a little while longer with a perfect eyebrow slightly raised. Her stare makes Taeyeon nervous and shy, and she turns her head away and scratches her unitchy head. That's when she spots the digital clock on her nightstand and notices what time it is.

"OMG! I'm gonna be late on my first day," she panic yells and runs out the room only to come right back, "I'm sorry for waking you Jeshika!" 
 

Jessica watches Taeyeon run out of the room. "She's just too cute," she says to no one with a small smile as she lays back down to get a few more minutes of sleep.

----

It's 9:30 AM when Taeyeon comes rushing down the stairs after finishing getting ready to leave for the day. She goes straight to the kitchen to grab a bottle of juice and a red apple off the kitchen counter. She glances at the clock on the wall, '.'

Ms. Kim enters the kitchen just as Taeyeon is grabbing her backpack off the chair and is about to head out. "Good morning Taeyeon-ah. You're up early."

" I told you my plans for today last night at dinner."

"Oh yes I forgot--" Ms. Kim is unable to finish her sentence because Taeyeon rushes out of the kitchen and heads straight for the door. "Wait! Taeyeon be careful and don't get hurt," she yells out. "And I love...you" her youngest was out door before she could finish.

----

Taeyeon hurriedly grabs her bike and is about to take off when a loud horn nearly scares her to death. 
 

She turns around and sees Yuri waiting in her car sporting a smirk that Taeyeon wishes she can wipe off. "Get in midget," she says teasingly. Taeyeon might have immediately jumped to the offer of the ride, but Yuri ruined it with her stupid nickname. Taeyeon glares at her best friend and turns back around to her bike so she can leave, but once again the car's loud horn startles her. 
 

"Yah! Hurry up or we're going to be late! It's 9:50!"

Hearing that, Taeyeon immediately drops her bike and rushes to the car. She hops in and Yuri takes off not a second later, speeding through the neighborhood before Taeyeon can properly buckle herself in. "Yah! You bozo! I am not a midget my growth spurt is just late," Taeyeon quips once she finally settles into the car.

Yuri just smiles at her friend as she focuses on the road. "What are you doing here anyways? We never agreed to carpool," she questions.

"Well, I figured I should help you get introduced and settled at the academy since it was my idea for you to sign up," Yuri answered. Taeyeon can't say that she's surprised by the caring thought. Yuri is like this with all of her friends, but especially her. But Taeyeon doesn't want to be a burden anymore.

"You don't have to do that. I can take care of myself," she says in a low and calm voice. "But thanks anyways." 
 

"I don't think you can handle the first day alone," Yuri speaks up getting Taeyeon's attention again. "The kids here can be pretty tough and you look like someone's kid sister. I don't want you to become their personal punching bag and water bottle retriever."

Taeyeon's stomach knots up in nervousness at the remark. She tries to mask it but Yuri had already glanced at her to see her reaction.
 

"Don't worry! I've got your back," she reassures Taeyeon. "And besides, the hazing usually only lasts a week!" Taeyeon narrows her eyes at her friend, and Yuri gives a small smile.

"Great I just have to make it to the end of the week," she thinks to herself as she looks out the window. As the sun shines in the cloudless sky Taeyeon prays that her day would be just as bright, as she thinks this the sun is replaced with a beautiful face that instantly makes her smile and ease her nerves. "I have to do this. No I must! She asked me to protect her."