Chapter 1

Beauty and the Geek

7:40. I have to leave now or I'm gonna be late for class.

"Taeyeon-ah, here's your lunch for school." "Thank you eomma!" Taeyeon grabs the lunch and hurriedly puts on her shoes and heads outside. Outside she grabs her bike and walks over to the sidewalk. She hops on ready to leave when her mother comes out shouting, "Taeyeon wait!" Her mother then jogs over to her holding a jacket. When she reaches her daughter she holds the jacket up for Taeyeon to put on. "Here, put this on. It's supposed to get chilly today," she says as she helps Taeyeon put her jacket on.

Taeyeon looks at her watch, '7:50! I'm gonna be late!'

"Thank you eomma, but I have to leave now or I'm gonna be late to class." Taeyeon says as she starts to move forward. "Arasso! See you later sweetheart!" Her mother nods and says. Taeyeon only hums in reply. As Taeyeon is pedaling away from she hears her mother shout, "And don't forget your brother is coming home tonight. So be back by dinner!" Taeyeon waves to signal that she heard her mother and speeds up towards her destination.

To others it may seem that Taeyeon is a bit standoffish towards her mother, but that's not necessarily the case. Her father died a couple of years back in a car accident. It was a rainy night and the roads were to slippery to be driving on, but earlier in the evening her parents had gotten into a heated argument that led to her father rushing out the house and speeding out the driveway on to the street. At first no one thought much of it and figured he'll be back, that is until they got a phone call late in the night. Her father was killed in an accident; they were told that a truck driver had fallen asleep at the wheel and moved to Into incoming traffic, her father tried to dodge it but ended up crashing into another car. One thing led to another and resulted in a huge collision that ended up taking the lives five, including her father and the truck driver. Taeyeon for the longest time blamed her mother for causing him to leave out the house. She eventually realized that her mother wasn't to blame, but she still held a grudge. Taeyeon was a daddy's girl and did everything together! She was practically more of a second son, than she was a daughter. This caused a rift between her and her mother. No matter how much the older woman tries to get her relationship back with her daughter, Taeyeon just can't fully let go. She's never told anyone this and doesn't plan on it! She'd rather keep her problems to herself instead of being a burden to others.

Despite all of this, Taeyeon genuinely excited that her older brother is coming home. He's her best friend and she hasn't seen him in a while. His name is Heechul and he's a business major, studying at a university in Seoul. She can't wait to see him and hear all of his stories about college! This makes her smile as she finally enters the gates of her school. More like the 'Gates of Hell' if you asked Taeyeon. She hated this place, but the work was easy and she had her friends at least to help get her through the year.

Taeyeon hastily parks and locks her bike and makes her way into the school building. In the hallways, it's survival of the fittest to her. She just needs to make it to her locker, grab her books, and go to class without running into any trouble that surely waiting on her. 
 

Taeyeon quickly makes it to her locker and begins to grab her books for the first half of the day. Then suddenly *SLAM*! Her locker is slammed closed and there stands CL and two of her friends. 'Aishh! Not this morning I'm already late!' "What do you want Chaerin?" Taeyeon exclaims as she opens her locker back up to get her last book. "Didn't I tell you not to call me that you midget! It's CL!" Taeyeon only rolls her eyes at the statement as she zips up her backpack and closes her locker and faces the girls. "Okay! What do you want CL," she boringly says showing that she's becoming irritated with the girl in-front of her. "That's better! Now, where's my homework I told you to do," CL gets to the point of her sudden visit. "Didn't I tell you that I wasn't doing her homework anymore. Do it yourself!" Taeyeon replies and turns to leave. CL grabs her shoulder and pushes her against the lockers. "And didn't I tell you that you will do whatever I tell you as long as you want to keep walking!" The bully hisses at Taeyeon, who's now a bit scared. Taeyeon tried to calm her nerves and is about to respond when suddenly someone pushes CL away and stands in front of her in a protective stance. "Yah! Who the hell do you think you a-- Oh, Yuri!" The girl in question speaks, "Yeah it's me! And didn't I tell you to leave my friends alone Lee?!"

"This is between me and the midget Kwon, so move out the way and mind your own business! What are you her bodyguard? Aww, the dwarf had to get a bodyguard to keep her from me. And here I thought we were friends! I'm really hurt Taeyeon," CL smiles mocking the girl standing behind Yuri who hasn't looked up from the floor yet. While the girls are laughing at CL's acting, Yuri takes the chance to step up directly into CL's face surprising the latter. "Listen Lee I'm her friend and you'll never be that, and if I catch you bothering her again...trust me you and the dumbos here are gonna regret for the rest of the school year! Got it?" Yuri growls at the three girls in a threatening way. CL and Yuri have a stand-off for a minute before CL gives up. "Whatever! Hey dork! Congratulations, you're off my list, but remember that you're not gonna always have them to protect you. So watch your back," she says as she starts to move away from the two. "No Lee I think you should watch your back, because I've got eyes everywhere," Yuri snaps back and CL gives her one final look before stomping away with her two goons following close behind.

Yuri watches them disappear before turning to her friend. They are the only two left in the hallway and class has already started. She bends down and grabs the girls glasses that had fell of when she was pushed onto the lockers. Reaching them to her she says, "Here Taeng! We have to get going the tardy bell has already rung." Taeyeon grabs the glasses and finally looks up to her friend. She gives a small smile, "Thanks for the help Yul," she says in a low voice.Yuri nods, "No prob! But let's go we're late enough!" With that they both run off to their class, bowing to their teacher in apology for being late and taking their seats focusing on the teacher for the rest of the period.

Later on at lunch

Taeyeon is now sitting in the canteen with her friends eating lunch. With her at the table are her friends: Yuri, Tiffany, Sooyoung, and Hyoyeon. Seohyun and Yoona are still in class and Sunny had a meeting with the drama club to attend. They are all kind of joking around until Tiffany brings up what happens this morning. "Tae, Yuri told us what happened this morning. Are you okay?" The rest of her friends look at her with concern. "I'm fine Fany! Seriously guys it was nothing! Even if Yuri wouldn't had shown up I would have handled it." "How? By caving in!" Hyoyeon bluntly states. Tiffany kicks Hyo under the table, "Ouch! What was that for," Tiffany only rolls her eyes at the sulker. "Okay Tae we believe you! Let's just finish eating," Tiffany says as she tries to move away from the subject after Hyo's remark. 
 

"Actually, Taeyeon I really think you need to consider taking those martial arts classes I was telling you about. The last thing CL said has been on my mind all morning! I think that was a real threat. And I hate to agree with that blowfish, but I'm not gonna always be around to protect you." Yuri let's out all her concerns for her best friend and one breath. Sooyoung perks up at this, "What do you mean threat? What did she say?" Everyone is curious now with the new revelation while Taeyeon just plays with her food. "CL told Taeng to watch her back, and I didn't like the look in her eyes when she said that," Yuri reveals. Everyone at the table is now looking at Taeyeon with worried faces. Hyoyeon pushes on Taeyeon's shoulder to get her attention, "Aishh! Take the classes and grow some balls Taeng! You need to learn how to protect yourself" "I know guys and I've already been thinking about! I even went to the school Yuri recommended. I promise you guys I'm gonna change, I'm not gonna allow anyone to treat me like poo any longer. I promise on all of my dookongs and gummy bears that I'll sign up this weekend!" Taeyeon exclaims with one hand on her heart and the other in the air. All of her friends stare at her for awhile before chuckling and saying okay believing in her promise. 
 

They all make their way out of the canteen heading back to their individual classes. Before splitting off Sooyoung mentions hanging out at her place after school. Everyone agrees, but Taeyeon says she can't stay long because she has to be home for dinner. With that said they go back to class until school ends.

At Sooyoung's House

Taeyeon and all of her friends are gathered in the basement of Sooyoung's house. The basement is their own hangout spot, as it has games, a tv, and so on. "Aigoo! I still can't believe Soo is on the basketball team now," Sunny remarks when she sees Soo and Yul playing around with a ball. "Yeah, how could you hide that you can play from us for so long Soo? I thought we were friends," Taeyeon pretends to pout as she teases her tall friend. "Hey! That's because it was just a hobby. If Yul hadn't caught me playing at the park and forced me to tryout I would have still kept it from you!" Sooyoung replies before blocking Yuri's shot. " You bet I forced you! You're a great player that the team needs. And I'll be graduating this year, so I needed someone who could carry the team when I leave." Yuri says as she pats the taller girls back. "Don't worry Sooyoung! I'm sure you'll do great!" Tiffany follows to further assure the girl, "Now," she puts down the magazine she was going through and claps her hands together, and scans the room. "Tae Tae! You wouldn't believe who I set you up with for your next date!" Everyone looks up at the excited girl in curiosity, "Irene!" 'Ooo' the others respond in uniform. "She's pretty but isn't she a freshman," Hyoyeon questions. "Well yeah, but that shouldn't matter. Tae looks like a middle schooler anyways!" "Yah!" Taeyeon shouts feeling a bit offended. "Besides we don't have many more options with Taeyeon's streak," Tiffany finishes unbothered by Taeyeon.

" I told you not to set me up on anymore dates Fany-ah!" Taeyeon says irritably. "Oh come on Taeng she's only trying to help, and you need this. You need to find a girl" Yuri sits by Tiffany trying to defend her girlfriend. "No! I'm tired of these blind dates! This is my last year in high school and all I want to focus on is graduating and going to university." Taeyeon snaps back at the couple. "That should give you even more of a reason to have fun this year Taeyeon," Sunny adds in and Hyoyeon nods in agreement. "Yeah, Taeng you should take any opportunity given to get laid," Sooyoung quips and laughs with the others. "Oh yeah! Your one to talk you giant! How far have you gotten with Yoona?" Taeyeon smirks seeing her giant friend is now mute. "Alright, that's enough you guys! Soo leave Tae alone, and Tae leave Soo alone," Tiffany jumps in to prevent a fight. "Taeyeon's got a point though. Sooyoung why haven't you confessed to Yoona yet? All you do is act like a lost puppy around her!" Hyoyeon snickers at her statement while laying on the floor. Sooyoung throws a pillow at the girl to shut her up. Just when Sooyoung was about to retaliate the basement door opens, and in walks the two youngest friends. Yoona and Seohyun.

"Speak of the devil! Wassup Yoong we were just talking about you," Hyoyeon sits up and reveals. Sooyoung shoots her a death glare. "What about Hyoyeon eonnie?" The innocent doe-eyed girl asks. Hyoyeon glances at Soo before saying, "Oh we were just wondering when you guys will get here." "Sorry eonnie I forgot my book in class. That's why we took so long," the youngest, Seohyun, states with an apologetic look. "That's okay maknae! It's no problem!" Hyo stands and ruffles the younger's hair before sitting on the couch next to her.

The door opens for a second time revealing Yuri and Tiffany, who had left during the commotion to get food for everybody.  They set the pizza and soda down on the coffee table and motion for everybody to dig in. Everybody grabs a slice when Sunny speaks up, "Hey! Where did that midget Taeyeon go?" "You are last person to be calling someone midget, dwarf," Sooyoung quips before she nearly chokes on her food when Yoona decides to move and sit in-between her legs. Sunny glares at the giant and is about to retort when everyone hears snickering coming from the corner of the room. They turn in sounds direction to find Taeyeon backfacing them, and appears to be looking at something. Sunny sneaks up on the unaware girl and peers over her shoulder to see what's so funny, her eyes grow wide at what she sees. "Yah! You ByunTae! Put that down you creep! Why are you reading that?" Sunny yells while hitting poor Taeyeon, causing her to drop the magazine she was reading. Revealing a picture of a busty woman in a bikini spelled across a Ferrari. Everyone note sees what she was looking at. "Eonnie!" Seohyun exclaims and covers her eyes.  Taeyeon grabs Sunny's arms to cease her assault, "What? It's just a picture! You just as big as a ert as I am Sunkyu!" "What did you call me Kim Taeyeon? You are so dead midget!" Sunny angrily says and begins her assault again. "Why are you hitting me? It was in Sooyoung's basement, so it's her's." Taeyeon defends herself. All eyes go to the giant, including Yoona. Sooyoung stops mid-bite at the statement and freezes, "Eh? That's not mine I swear! It must be my oppa's, I'm not the only one that comes down here," she swallows her food and waves her hands saying defensively. "Enough children," Tiffany loud voice breaks through the whole room ceasing all commotion. "Taeyeon, Sunny stop it and get over here and eat. Sooyoung we know it's not yours." "Yeah, we know you're more of a video girl," Hyoyeon chirps. Sooyoung is about to raise argument when Tiffany shoots them both a warning glare. Sunny rejoins the group and Taeyeon is about to sit down when she suddenly freezes, 'Food. Uh Oh.' "Taeyeon what's wrong," Yuri inquires. "What time is it?" Taeyeon asks, "It's 6:20 eonnie," Seohyun answers. Gasps. 'Holy crap I'm sooo late.' Taeyeon hurriedly grabs her belongings. "Where are you going?" Tiffany asks. "I was supposed to be home for dinner twenty minutes ago," she answers and runs out the door. "Maybe we should call Mrs. Kim to let her know about Taeyeon," Seohyun suggests and everyone nods in agreement, and Yuri gets out her phone to make the call.

 

Kim Residence 6:35

'It took me fifteen minutes to get back over here from Sooyoung's place. Now I'm even later! I bet Heechul is already here and dinner started without me. Aishh dangit!'

Taeyeon throws her bike to the ground and runs inside her house. She quickly takes her shoes off and heads to dining area. She was expecting to see her brother and mother eating but the only one there is her mother. "I know I'm late, but where's Heechul? He didn't leave already did he?" She bombards her mother with questions without greeting her. "No, Heechul has not left back to college yet, but he did leave out to look for you. I told you to be home for dinner, and look how late it is! Do you know how worried we were? Would it have bothered you to give us a call and inform of us that you would be late?" Mrs. Kim stands up and yells with trembling hands on Taeyeon's shoulders. "I'm sorry it just slipped out of mind. I didn't mean to--look I was just at Sooyoung's house hanging out with my friends. I'm sorry for forgetting." Taeyeon bites her bottom lip not knowing what else to say. "Yes, your friends had just called me before you got home, but this was still highly irresponsible of you Taeyeon! Why don't you think about others sometimes," her mother exclaims disappointedly. Taeyeon looks at her mother in her eyes before brushing her hands off of her shoulders. "Look I said was sorry and I won't do it again. What else do you want me to say? You don't have the right to yell at me like that over something so small," Taeyeon stares at her mother with cold eyes, "I'm going to my room. Call me down when Heechul comes back." And with that Taeyeon runs up the stairs to her room, ignoring her mother calling her name.

The angered girl enters her room and slams her door shut, slinging her backpack onto the floor before flopping onto her bed. "Just who does she think she is? God, I can't wait to move out of here!" Taeyeon let's out a huff and covers her face with an arm, tryinging to collect herself.

"Umm. Hi."

 Taeyeon freezes at the unfamiliar, yet sweet voice. She quickly sits up to face the source of her intruder, only to see a gorgeous, half- girl standing by her dresser. Eyes growing wide at the lovely sight she quickly rubs her eyes thinking it's a dream. She opens her eyes only to see the same girl. The girl giggles at the now gawking younger girl, and Taeyeon thinks her giggles are like music to her ears. A song only for her. 
 

"You must be Heechul's little sister, Taeyeon? My name is Jessica! I'm a your brother's hoobae from school." Jessica reveals her identity to Taeyeon but the latter is still silent, only staring at...Jessica's eyes go wide when she realizes she hasn't put on a shirt. She quickly puts on the shirt that was in her hand and looks down at her feet trying to hide the blush on her cheeks. "I hope you don't mind me borrowing one of your shirts. I spilled coffee on mine's earlier, and yur mom said I can borrow one of your's." Jessica tries to clear up any misunderstanding, but when she's once again met with silence she looks up towards the girl on the bed. Taeyeon is still staring at Jessica intently with slightly open. 'What is she looking at? Do I something on my face,' Jessica thinks, 'No, she's not looking at my face she's looking at...' "Yah! Stop staring at my chest you ert!" Jessica shouts snapping Taeyeon out of her fantasy, whatever that was. "Oh! I'm sorry for being rude! My name is Taeyeon! What's yours?" Taeyeon asks standing with a wide grin on her face. Jessica finds the girl weird but cute. "If you weren't gawking at my chest you would've heard me tell you my name is Jessica," she bluntly states. Taeyeon's cheeks turn crimson and she rubs the back of her neck out of embarrassment, "I'm sorry." "No, it's fine! It's just weird for a first meeting. I mean you act like you've never seen another girl's body before!" "Not in person," Taeyeon mumbles to herself but Jessica still heard, but decides to ignore from further embarrassing the girl. Instead she gives a smile and gets the girls attention, "Well, like I was saying. I'm your brother's hoobae. I spilled coffee on my shirt earlier, and your mom said I can borrow one of yours. I hope you don't mind." "No! Of course I don't mind," Taeyeon burst out and bites her bottom lip from embarrassment. 'Cute,' Jessica thinks. 
 

"Taeyeon, Jessica Heechul is back! We can eat dinner now!" Mrs. Kim yells from downstairs and Jessica immediately sees the sour expression that now graces Taeyeon's face. "Hey, come on! Your brother can't wait to see you! He was talking about you the whole ride here!" Jessica says to cheer the girl up and she's rewarded with a smile from the younger. "Jinjja? Well, I don't care about him I'm just hungry! Let's go," Taeyeon hides her similar feelings for her brother. Jessica smiles at the girl who's clearly pretending, but her face quickly turns into that of surprise when Taeyeon grabs her hand and pulls her out the door. Dragging Jessica downstairs. In any other circumstance Jessica would have quickly retracted her hand from the sudden contact, but for some reason she enjoyed the warmth that was being emitted from Taeyeon so she let herself be dragged along. She has this weird feeling that she'll let Taeyeon take her anywhere without argue. Her heart flutters at the thought. 'Oh no! Jessica Jung what have you gotten yourself into!'