Hubris

To the Woman I Love the Most

March 24, 2018

 

9:07 PM

 

Chaeyoung wasn't very fond of clubs. She hated them, in fact, but her roommate certainly seemed think otherwise as she watched her drink and dance the night away. Her thoughts brought her back to the day's earlier events, dinner to be exact. 

 

Having accepted her roommate's invitation to celebrate her birthday, Chaeyoung eagerly accompanied Mina to where she needed to be. The pair went to Japanese restaurant where the younger girl met her roommate's friends. There was Sana, who's just huge ball of energy and cheerfulness, Momo, who was able to devour food as quickly as it was served yet somehow had insanely well-defined abs, and Nayeon, who was very friendly yet oddly narcissistic. She found all of them to be good company and interesting enough to have a conversation with... then there was Jeongyeon. She was quiet for most of the night, that is until she noticed that Chaeyoung wasn't eating anything and made a cold-sounding remark about it. She was about to explain why, however Mina beat her to it and explained on her behalf that she had already eaten earlier and even brought her a burger as well. Jeongyeon merely nodded at the explanation and continued being quiet for the rest of dinner. It was about halfway through the meal when Sana suggested they all go to a nightclub, a suggestion that everyone agreed on. Yes, even Chaeyoung. Despite her deep-seated hatred of such establishments, she agreed anyway for the birthday girl... and to make up for peeking at her scantily clad state. 

 

Chaeyoung sat alone in the booth while the others had the time of their lives on the dance floor. She stared intently at her roommate, finding her the most interesting person to look at, which says a lot seeing as Momo and Sana were grinding on each other a few feet away from her. She couldn't help but admire her. The way she moved, the way she lost herself in the dance, the young film student found all of it very intriguing. "This would make a beautiful scene," she thought to herself, "if only there were cameras around her." Her thoughts were interrupted when a boy about her age made his way to Mina and grabbed her . Mina immediately turned to the guy and swung her fists to his chest multiple times before he grabbed her by her wrists. The scene that unfolded before her woke something in Chaeyoung, something she never thought existed. Her face grew hot, the beating of her heart quickened to an ungodly pace, "It's anger," she thought, but she knew it was something more. Raw, primal rage. Unable to contain it, Chaeyoung got up from the booth and swiftly made her way to Mina's direction, bumping into their table and some other tables in the process. With both of the boy's hands firmly holding Mina's wrists, Chaeyoung used this moment of vulnerability to hit him square on the jaw, successfully making him drop to his knees.

 

"What the is your-" the boy managed to make out before Chaeyoung brought her knee to his face. The boy fell on his back and Mina watched in horror as her roommate got on top of him and continued her adrenaline-fuelled assault. 

 

"Mother. ing. Degenerate," she shouted with every hit. She was about five punches in when the bouncers finally decided to intervene. They pulled her off of the boy and quickly went to his aid which confused both Mina and Chaeyoung. The pair couldn't hear what they were talking about due to the blaring of the music, but they definitely heard the boy bark orders for the two of them to be escorted out of the premises which led the pair to conclude that he was probably a VIP. The bouncers grabbed them both by the arm without warning and proceeded to drag them out of the club. 

 

"Woah! Hey! What's going on here? They're with us," Nayeon said as she halted the tall men with death grips on her friends. The others were right behind preventing the men from continuing their deed... or so they thought, for the bouncers just looked at each other for a second before dragging all of them out of the club.

 

Despite trying their best to struggle, they were eventually led out of the club, bringing the attention of several bystanders to them. "Yeah? Well, you too!" Jeongyeon shouted as the bouncers slammed the club doors shut. "Good ing job, kid. You got us kicked out. It's only been a ing hour since we got in." Chaeyoung could only look down in shame as she realized what she had done and the guilt finally set in. She wasn't entirely sure herself why she did it. All she knew at that moment was that she had to do it. Mina, on the other hand, kept her eyes on her younger roommate. She didn't know whether to be scared of the amount of strength she displayed earlier or worried that she could've been hurt had the boy been able to retaliate. 

 

"Hey. Lay off her, she was just looking after Mina," Sana said, getting in between Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung. 

 

"She broke that guy's ing nose!"

 

"Well, he was groping our friend!" 

 

While the others were busy arguing, Mina took Chaeyoung by the hand, an act which surprised the younger one, and started walking back to their dorm. She heard her friends scream in protest but kept walking anyway. They had their fun, now it was time to go back.

 

10:24 PM

 

They weren't crazy enough to walk all the way back to their dorm seeing as it was six miles away, Mina stopped a cab a quarter of a mile into their walk. Traffic wasn't too bad and so they were able to make it back quicker than expected. Neither of them said a word to each other though. Both of them were still in shock, especially Chaeyoung. She didn't know that she was capable of doing what she did. The whole thing felt like an out of body experience for her and when she came back to herself, she couldn't even look her roommate in the eye anymore. As the pair stepped into their room, Mina immediately went to the bathroom to get a towel, a pail of water and some bandages. When she came out, Chaeyoung was still standing by the doorway and looking down on the floor. Mina took by the hand once more, led her to her bed and tended to the younger girl's hand. She started by wiping off the dried blood on her fingers. It was the boy's blood, not Chaeyoung's. She then proceeded to apply some cream on the abrasions on the younger's knuckles before dressing it up with a bandage. "I'm sorry," she heard her mumble. 

 

"What for? You saved me from possibly being ." The younger girl finally looked at Mina, checking for any hint of ingenuity or sarcasm on her face, but she found none. "Thank you, by the way," she said as she gave the younger a smile.

 

"You're welcome," she said, smiling back at her roommate. This was definitely not how she imagined meeting her roommate, but she wouldn't have had it any other way.

 

March 23, 2027

 

12:01 PM

 

Raw, primal rage. She had only ever felt it once. Seeing the smug look on Yoo Jeongyeon's face as she sat across her, having her order taken by the waiter brought out a similar kind of feeling. "Want anything?" she asked and Chaeyoung only shook her head. "Just water for my friend here." The waiter politely bowed and left the pair alone. "I gotta say, I didn't really expect you to show up. I knew you'd buy it though. I mean I got her handwriting down, I practiced that for months, it was the content that stressed me out the most. I didn't know what to tell you, but then I remembered Mina constantly talking to you about Mother Moon. So I just put it in the letter, knowing that you'll definitely take the bait." 

 

" you." Chaeyoung spat as much venom as she could into her words.

 

"Ooh, feisty as always, I see." the waiter came back with their water just as Jeongyeon spoke. She took a sip before she continued. "Well, I'm guessing you wanna know why I tricked you into coming here."

 

". You." Chaeyoung said again.

 

"Okay, I'll get straight to the point then. You're going to be my birthday gift to Mina."

 

"What?" 

 

"You heard me."

 

"That doesn't really make any sense."

 

"Oh, but it does."

 

"How so?"

 

"Because I know Mina still loves you." 

 

Chaeyoung was suddenly speechless, she didn't anticipate such a reply. She expected the whole thing to be some sort of sick joke by the woman in front of her, but not only was there sincerity in her words, there was also a hint of anger, jealousy and pain.

 

"I guess I colored you intrigued," she started, "Anyway, she still loves you, obviously. Not only do I know it, I accept it. Given the relationship you two had, I don't think she'll ever get over you. It's fine, it doesn't really bother me. However even I have my limits. Having Sana and Momo rub that in my face over and over again and saying that it would only take one phone call from you for Mina to leave me really started to get on my ing nerves. " She paused momentarily when the waiter came to serve her food. "Well I'm gonna prove them wrong."

 

"And how exactly are you gonna do that?" Though Chaeyoung sounded indifferent to Jeongyeon's ears, she was genuinely curious about what exactly the latter had planned.

 

"Well, I mean, what's a phone call compared to actually having you here." Jeongyeon reached into her pockets and pulled out a tiny box that, to both of them, needed no further explanation, but nonetheless managed to knock the air out of Chaeyoung. 

 

"You're still not making the slightest bit of sense," Chaeyoung stated, "If you're gonna propose to her, then just do it. None of this is necessary."

 

"Don't you ing get it!" The sound of Jeongyeon's hand hitting the wooden table as well as the utensils bouncing from the impact managed to gather the attention of a handful of people, but neither of them cared about the stares they got. They instead focused on their on little staring contest. "I had to sit through all of their and all I've ever done was try to be a better girlfriend than you and not make the same mistakes you did. Yet they're so goddamn confident that you can just get her back without batting an eye," she scoffed. "Well, you're gonna spend the entire day with her tomorrow and I'll make sure they know the two of you are together."

 

"You're insane," Chaeyoung replied, "and I'm not gonna be a part of this ed up scheme of yours. Mina doesn't deserve to be toyed with like this." 

 

"Who says I'm toying with her? If anything, I'm giving her the chance to figure out exactly what she wants— who she wants to be with. Spending the day with you will help her remember why you two broke up. Once she realizes that you have no future together, she'll come back to me, to our apartment. By then, I would have already proved her friends wrong, and to add salt to the wound, I'll ask her hand in marriage right in front of them." She hated how condescending Jeongyeon sounded. She hated the smug look on her face and the fact that she's so convinced that Chaeyoung would willingly participate in this plot of hers. 

 

"Like I said, you're insane. You're even more insane for thinking that I'd actually agree to be a part of this," she said.

 

"It's cute that you still think I haven't thought this all the way through," she said as she leaned forward. "I know you still love her as well." 

 

"That's it? That's your ace in the hole? You assumed I'll agree because you think I still have feelings for my ex? Get your head out of your , Jeongyeon." The older one responded with laughter, knowing very well that she'll soon have Chaeyoung wrapped around her finger.

 

"Well that and the fact that she's expecting you tomorrow."

 

"What?"

 

"I told her you'd be stopping by. That you took time out of your very busy schedule to see her. She was very hesitant and took quite a bit of convincing before she ultimately agreed." Chaeyoung was dumbfounded by absolutely maniacal attitude Jeongyeon displayed. Her plan was very egocentric and her approach towards it was almost villainous. But somehow Chaeyoung managed to brush all of that off and focused on the of Mina actually wanting to see her. "So," Jeongyeon started, "pick her up at 8, she'll be ready by then. Take her out to a waterpark or something. Oh and this time, maybe tell her that you want to spend the rest of your life with her. Give me a bit of a challenge."

 

"Go to hell." The younger one just stood up and headed towards the door. 

 

"Always wonderful to see you, cub. Get some rest. You got a big day ahead of you."  

 

6:50 PM

 

After leaving Mother Moon, Chaeyoung checked herself in a hotel to think about what she was going to do next. She found herself staring at the ceiling, unmoving. Hours and hours of thinking got her nowhere as random thoughts came and went as the time passed. She thought about. Thoughts about the absurdity of the situation and Jeongyeon's undeniable hubris, however there was one thought that resonated louder than the rest. The thought of stealing Mina away. Momo and Sana seemed to believe that she could and that gave her a bit of hope. She immediately shook the thought off, however, as she focused more on the fact that she would be face to face with her ex in less than 14 hours. She had no idea how tomorrow would play out, but she was certain of one thing...

 

It will be one hell of a day.