Stardust

i'll search the universe (to find you again)

 

 

“Yoohyeon, are you sure this is a good idea?” Minji questions apprehensively. The taller girl turns around to grin at Minji.

 

“Yep! Personally, I’ve never done it myself but Yoobin and Bora tells me it’s tons of fun!” The blonde was giddy with joy that Minji didn't have the heart to say no. They enter a large store with tons of wall easels and buckets of paint. Interestingly, there were also other toys such as water guns, brushes, and balloons. Yoohyeon walks up to the counter to tell the cashier of her reservation and hands her credit card over. Minji raises her hand to give hers instead but Yoohyeon is quick enough to catch her hand in hers.

 

“Hey, I’ll pay for this date, okay? You can pay for the next one.” Yoohyeon says smoothly. Minji would have swoon at that if she didn't see how quickly Yoohyeon’s ears were reddening. It was cute of the younger girl and it was nice to know that she didn't expect Minji to pay for things just because she is rich.

 

The black-haired girl’s lips lift up in a teasing smile, “Oh? We’re going to have more than one date? Why, Yoohyeon, I didn't know you were so confident that I would want to see you again.” Yoohyeon gives the biggest puppy pout that she can muster as Minji bursts out laughing.

 

The staff returns to hand them a key to a private room and shows them the way. Once left inside the room, Minji awkwardly stands around. “So what exactly are we doing here?”

 

“Stress-relief. I know this week has been pretty hard on both of us so I figured we could do something fun.” the blonde gestures to the huge wall canvas and picks out a big paintbrush. Dipping it in yellow paint, she swings her arm without hesitation, splating a streak of yellow on pristine white. “Let’s try to cover the whole wall Minji!”

 

Finally understanding what this painting activity was all about, Minji excitedly grabs the water gun and loads it with pink paint. And if Yoohyeon were to accuse her of shooting at her instead of the canvas, Minji would smile innocently while shooting her directly in the stomach.

 

After they had their fun, they sat down at a cozy restaurant to have their dinner. It was a small place, only a few tables and patrons but Minji liked it all the same. She noticed that they had constellations lining the ceiling walls and was happily observing them. Across from her, Yoohyeon had a fond smile on her face as she watched Minji. Minji’s beauty really was out of this world and Yoohyeon felt so lucky to have met her again.

 

“So, did you have fun today?” Yoohyeon asks as she drums her fingers nervously against the table. Minji turns to her with a blinding smile and an enthusiastic nod. She reaches over to put her hand on the blonde’s nervous ones, stilling her movements.

 

“I really did. Thanks for taking me out of the office Yooh.” Minji states softly. Yoohyeon blushes lightly under the older’s gaze but smiles back in return.

 

“Just like old times right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

--

 

Minji didn't want to return home even though it was late so they settled for just walking around the river to pass the time. Yoohyeon was feeling brave at the moment so she reached down to interlace her hand in Minji’s. From the corner of her eye, she could see Minji’s small smile and pink dusting her cheeks. It made her giddy with joy.

 

Squeezing the hand in hers, Minji drags Yoohyeon closer to the banks. “You’re not trying to throw me in there are you?” Yoohyeon jokes with a comical expression. Minji laughs and shoves her shoulder jokingly as if to really push the taller into the water.

 

“Been a long time since I’ve seen this scenery.” Minji begins, tilting her head back to look at the sky. Sensing Yoohyeon’s confused gaze, the CEO squeezes their joined hands again. “I haven’t been back until now.”

 

“Why now? What made you decide to come back?” Minji falls silent and Yoohyeon feels like she stepped into territory that she shouldn’t have. Finally, Minji simply shrugs her shoulders, avoiding the question altogether. Yoohyeon wanted to push it, knowing that it had something to do with the changes she’d seen in Minji but relented in the end. She hoped that Minji would trust her enough one day to tell her herself.

 

--

 

Usually movie night is a crazy affair for the group of friends but since Minji is joining them today, everyone is on their best behavior. At least until Gahyeon tattled on Yoohyeon and got the BoYeon duo on her case. Minji arrives not long after, handing over the stuff she brought for their first get-together.

 

Gahyeon makes eye contact with her older sister but makes no movements. The room is tense as the two siblings staring at one another. After a long moment, Minji tilts her head to the side and smiles, “You’ve grown a lot.” she said softly, like it was a secret between them.

 

Gahyeon leaps forward to hug her sister like her life depended on it. Minji was surprised at her sudden movement but caught her nonetheless. The two embrace long and hard, taking in the years that they missed with one another.

 

“I missed you so much, unnie.” Gahyeon sobs softly into her shoulder. Minji reaches up to pat the back of her head in a soothing motion, imitating the gesture their mother used to do when they were young.

 

“Me too, pup.” Their friends let them have this moment, knowing how Gahyeon had freaked out hours earlier about seeing Minji again. “I’m sorry I took so long to come see you again.” The youngest sniffs into her shoulder and shakes her head. Minji hears her mumble something about how it doesn’t matter and that you’re here now.

 

Grinning widely, Minji gestures for Yoohyeon to join in on the hug, prompting the others minus Handong to dogpile the two sisters. Things started getting rowdy again after that but Yoohyeon wouldn’t trade this moment for the world.

 

She turns over to the CEO, who is laughing wholeheartedly at something Bora said. “Having fun?”

 

Minji smiles that happy, squishy smile of hers and leans up to kiss Yoohyeon on the cheek.

 

“...”

 

“Minji?” the scenery suddenly started to fade away. Minji’s hand wrapped around hers crumbled like sand. The last thing Yoohyeon saw was Minji’s adoring eyes, frozen in time.

 

“Minji!”

 

--

 

Yoohyeon woke up with a start, sweat covering her entire body. It was bright outside and Yoohyeon momentarily panics, thinking that she is late for work, but then remembers where she is. The curtains are partially opened, revealing blue skies and sandy waters. Jeju.

 

“Yoohyeon?” Siyeon comes out of the restroom with a towel on her head. “Wakey wakey. We’re going to have breakfast and then hit the beach.” Yoohyeon groans, stretching her long body across the bed and then finally rising to wash up.

 

They meet the rest of the group downstairs and head towards the breakfast bar. “Dongie and Yoobin aren’t here yet?” Yoohyeon asks, noticing two people missing.

 

“Eh, they probably had a wild night. It’s Jeju and all.” Bora responds flippantly while Gahyeon grimaces. She did not need to know that TMI.

 

“Actually, you guys are the ones that are late.” A deep voice says from behind them. Siyeon jumps in shock as she turns around to face Yoobin’s smirk. She gestures behind her to show that Handong was already eating a plate of breakfast. The now orange-haired girl waves at them with her fork and cheeks full of food. They walk over to the bar to get their food and settle down at the table.

 

“Dongie, can you get me some more orange juice?” Yoobin hands her the empty cup. As soon as Handong leaves the table, the short-haired girl leaned over to whisper urgently to her friends. “Guys, I don’t think I can do this...” Yoobin looks positively nauseous.

 

Yoohyeon reaches over to give her long-time friend a pat on the back. “You’ll be fine Yoob. Dongie loves you.”

 

Siyeon nods from across the table, “Yeah Yoobinie. What’s the worst that can happen?”

 

“She could say no...” Yoobin says despondently. Bora reaches over to wack Yoobin on the back of her head and Gahyeon face-palms herself. The youngest slaps both hands on Yoobin’s face and makes her look at her square in the eye.

 

“She will definitely say yes and you know it. So woman up. Dongie unnie deserves nothing but the best. No chickening out, got it?” Gahyeon gives her a stern look despite being younger. The older girl lets out a small got it in between her squished cheeks. Gahyeon nods approvingly and give one more pep slap to her cheeks.

 

“Did I just see Gahyeon slapping Yoobin’s cheeks?” Yoobin twists around in her seat, her cheeks still red from Gahyeon’s pep talk. This causes Handong to chuckle behind her hand. She reaches over to soothe the afflicted area, squishing Yoobin’s cheeks a little in the process.

 

“Uh-well...um...” Yoobin stutters uncharacteristically. Gahyeon huffs in her seat, “Yeah, she just said something dumb so I had to pull her back together.” Siyeon and Bora laugh at the dumbstruck look Yoobin gives Handong. Even Yoohyeon is pulled out of her morning stupor to clown her friend.

 

“Alright, alright. Let’s just go to the beach now, okay?” They all agree, after snapping a few photos of Yoobin sulking.

 

--

 

Somehow, they ended up in a secluded part of the beach with a beautiful cove. The cove is overrun with colorful flowers or varying types. It was picturesque and perfect. So perfect that Yoobin found her courage here. She watches a bit as Handong gets ganged up on in a water fight between her and Bora and Siyeon. Naturally, the chaotic duo work together to dunk Handong in the water.

 

Next to her, Yoohyeon chuckles under the shade of their beach umbrella. “It’s great that Handong has gotten really used to the prosthetics. She’s even more confident about using them in the water than before.”

 

“Yeah...” Yoohyeon could tell that Yoobin wasn’t really listening, given the way that she is gazing affectionately at her girlfriend. It was cute to see that Yoobin was still so enamoured by Handong as if they had just met for the first time.

 

“Yoob?” The tall girl hands her friend a square box. “Go to her.”

 

Yoobin didn't need to be told twice. She dashed through the sand to pull a laughing Handong out of the water and into her arms. “Yoobin!” the chinese squealed in surprise. Her legs wrapped around Yoobin’s waist and her arms around her neck.

 

Yoobin grins and gives her a quick peck on the lips. “Dongie, there’s something I want to tell you. Will you listen?” Handong nods, a little confused as to why Yoobin had to tell her now over the water.

 

“We’ve been together for about 6 years now and everyday is full of happiness. You’ve made me so, so happy that I can’t imagine a future with anyone else but you in it. I know I don’t always express myself well and that caused a few arguments between us. But we’ve resolved them and grown a lot as a couple. You supported my and Yooh’s nerdy tendencies. You take care of Siyeon, Bora, and Gahyeon despite their loudness. You hug me when I’ve had a hard day at work. And I want us to continue to be happy like this, forever, if possible. What I’m trying to say is, will you marry me Dongie?”

 

Handong feels tears welling in her eyes at the sincerity and love that she sees in her lover. “Yes! Of course I’ll marry you!” she grabs Yoobin’s cheeks and leans down for a long and sweet kiss. They hear their friends cheering in the background and splashing water everywhere.

 

Pulling away from her, Yoobin sets Handong down and opens a square box. The ring is simple and beautifully engraved with intricate roses and diamonds. As expected of a scientist whose specialty is fabrication of nanotechnology. One look at the ring was all Handong needed to see that Yoobin lovingly crafted it herself. Her heart swelled with love and affection for the younger girl. She helped her get back on her feet (literally!) and supported her throughout everything. And now they were going to get married. It was Handong’s dream come true.

 

From the shore, Yoohyeon snaps a few photos of her two friends. She’s amazed at how much happiness could be felt from the polaroids and she hopes that they will stay this way for a long time. Maybe she’ll gift these to them as a wedding gift. Her musing is interrupted by a bark. A small, white dog waddles up next to her, wagging its tail.

 

“Hey there, cutie. Where did you come from?” Yoohyeon doesn’t see a collar on the dog but it looks well-groomed. However, she’s pretty sure that they are the only ones on this part of the beach. The dog cutely barks again and leaps onto Yoohyeon’s lap to snatch a polaroid out of her hands. It proceeds to run away with its prize between its jaws.

 

“Wh-hey! That’s mine!” Sand kicks up from behind Yoohyeon. She ignores the calls of her friends to chase after a (cute) picture-napper. The dog runs surprisingly fast despite being small or maybe Yoohyeon is just out of shape. The dog darts between trees and bushes, probably knowing exactly where it is going. The tall girl nearly loses sight of the dog but thankfully, its white fur makes it obvious. In the back of her mind, she is reminded of that goose game that she loved to play just to be an . Guess karma was getting back at her.

 

Eventually, the dog jumps around to a person crouched down in front of budding flowers. There’s a red watering pail in her hand. The dog yips excitedly pushes the stolen polaroid into the girl’s side. Yoohyeon pushes through the clearing, panting with her hands on her knees.

 

“My pola...roid….” Yoohyeon gasps for air, still bent over. The girl turns around and gasps out loud.

 

“Yoohyeon?” That voice. It’s a sweet voice that Yoohyeon never forgot even after all this time. Her head shoots up to meet warm brown eyes and bright red hair framing a perfect face. Gods, Minji was breathtaking even with minimal make-up and plain clothes.

 

“Yoohyeon?” Minji tries again, “What are you doing here?”

 

“Uh, what are you doing here?” Yoohyeon fires back.

 

Minji tilts her head to the side, “I live here.” she gestures to the wooden house a few meters behind her. The white dog yips again, standing on its two hind legs so that it can stand taller on Minji’s leg. This time, she takes the polaroid out of the dog’s mouth.

 

“This yours?” Yoohyeon nods quickly and walks over to take it from the older girl. “Sorry about Cherry. She likes to wander off to the beach and bring me back things that catches her eye.” At the mention of her name, Cherry sits on her , wagging her tail and looking expectantly at Minji. She sighs in mock exasperation and crouches down. Placing the pail down, she reaches into her right pant pocket for a treat.

 

“Yoohyeon, hold out your hand.” the taller girl does as she is told and is handed a dog treat. Minji looks at Cherry like a parent would when scolding their child. “Now Cherry, if you want that treat, you’re going to have to get it from Yoohyeon. But only if she accepts your apology, okay?” Cherry tilts her head cutely and trods over to the girl now holding her reward.

 

Yoohyeon crouches down with a smile on her face. The fluffy dog was too cute for her to be mad at. Even if her owner was the last person Yoohyeon thought she’d ever see again.

 

(Minji disappeared after handing her the letter. Literally no one could find her, not even her family and not even Kim Corporation.)

 

But here she was, not even out of the country. Though her hair is red now and her state of dress is nothing like the haughty CEO of Kim Corporation. Cherry nibbles the treat out of Yoohyeon’s hand and runs back to her owner.

 

“Um,” Minji starts, uncertain, “Do you know your way back or…?”

 

“Oh! Uh, I’d like some assistance, if it isn’t too much trouble. I was chasing Cherry that I didn’t think about where I was going. I was near the cove with the flowers with my friends.”

 

“Yeah no problem. Cherry is the one who caused you trouble. Let me put my watering can away and I’ll walk you back.” Minji awkwardly fumbles about, rushing to the side of her house to put away the watering can. Her cardigan flows lightly behind her as she moves about.

 

But that’s when Yoohyeon notices. The left sleeve of Minji’s cardigan is empty.

 

--

 

On their walk through the forest, Yoohyeon isn’t sure how to bring it up. Or if she should even ask at all. Would that be rude or nosy of her? She told herself that Kim Minji will no longer be an important part of her life. So why was it that when Minji reappears in her life, everything revolves around her again? Yoohyeon really had to snap out of it.

 

“You can ask if you’re really curious. I won’t get offended.” Minji states out of the blue. She’s walking side by side with Yoohyeon but looks straight ahead. Her left side is away from Yoohyeon.

 

“Sorry, was it that obvious?” The blonde scratches the back of her head sheepishly.

 

“Well you almost stepped on Cherry. I know she stole your picture but she’s my only companion at the moment so I kind of want her to live a little longer.” the redhead’s tone is light as she watches Yoohyeon blush lightly. Both of them have small smiles on their lips, feeling less awkward than before.

 

“What happened?”

 

“Got into a bus accident when I traveled to Norway 2 years ago. My arm got caught between the overturned bus and the pavement. By the time paramedics got to me, the nerves were completely destroyed and I had to amputate my arm to save my life.” the older girl leads Yoohyeon further through the forest. Yoohyeon is horrified to learn that Minji lost her arm in such a painful way. The redhead seemed to be okay, if her light disposition was any indicator. Yoohyeon watches as Minji shakes her head as if she were shaking off the memory of the accident. “It happened a long time ago so I don't feel the pain anymore. I’ve gotten used to doing everything with just one hand, although it does make me appreciate having two hands. Cherry can be a handful sometimes.”

 

This time Minji looks at Yoohyeon with a wry smile on her lips, “Though I guess this must be karma for what I did with your work.” Yoohyeon feels a pang in her chest. Yes, Yoohyeon was upset at Minji (at the time) but she didn’t deserve to lose something as important as her arm in retaliation.

 

As if she knew what the taller was thinking, “Yoohyeon. None of that okay?” Minji says sternly but softly. The scientist understood what Minji was referring to as she read that letter several times over. Crumpling it into her pocket to carry it wherever she went. It contained answers to everything but at the same time, nothing. Yoohyeon just was heartbroken. So she read it over and over, as if it would reveal something, anything new.

 

“Here. This is where you wanted to go right?” the redhead pushes aside a few branches to reveal the beach side with the cove of flowers. Yoohyeon steps through the clearing and spots her friends gathered by the umbrella.

 

“It was nice seeing you again.” Yoohyeon whips around to see Minji stepping back into the forest.

 

“Wait!” her yell startles Cherry, who runs out of the clearing and onto the beach. The dog makes a beeline for the others under the umbrella and steals a piece of bread from a plate on the mat. Yoohyeon and Minji scramble to catch Cherry from causing a bigger commotion.

 

Yoohyeon stumbles about in the sand, tripping over her two feet as a result of Cherry’s agile movements. Knowing Cherry’s tricks, Minji feints a step to the left but uses her arm to swoop down to grab her dog. The redhead falls back on her , exhausted from having to clean up after her hyperactive dog all the time. She glances over at Yoohyeon, who had just gotten up from the sand with a groan.

 

Bora assists her while laughing her off, “What was that?! You got tripped over by a little dog!”

 

“Shut it!” Yoohyeon grumbles. It made Minji smile a bit, noting that Yoohyeon was still as clumsy as ever.

 

Cherry attempts to wriggle out of Minji’s grasp but Minji is quicker to scold her. “Cherry, no. you’ll get sick eating this.” Minji gives Cherry her best grumpy face and bites the other end of the bread in Cherry’s mouth to pull it away. Her hand was preoccupied with holding Cherry in place.

 

The others noticed her actions and immediately see the missing arm. Feeling several eyes on her, the eldest straightens up. “Sorry about Cherry. She gets excited with meeting new people.”

 

“Minji unnie...” Gahyeon stands up slowly, not believing her eyes. It was her older sister in the flesh. She honestly thought she was dead since no one knew where she went. Minji shoots her and the rest of the group an awkward smile.

 

She puts Cherry down once she’s sure her dog isn’t going to run off again, “Hey guys...uh, I won’t kick you guys out since I know you but, this is private property.” Minji scratches the back of her nape with her only hand. “Well, no harm was done except for your belongings being harassed by Cherry.”

 

“No worries. We didn't know this was private property. That does explain why this area is so empty. Did you grow those yourself?” Yoohyeon points to the cove overrun with a myriad of beautiful flowers. She figured that it was Minji’s doing since she saw her earlier taking care of flowers.

 

“Yup. Beautiful right? They took a little longer than expected but it was worth it.” Minji explains. She sweeps her gaze over to the rest of them, stopping at Handong’s taller stature. Expression softening, “I’m glad to see that you’re better now.”

 

“Yes, I am.” Handong replies, equally soft. The chinese girl feels her now fiancee gripping her hand. Yoobin’s expression is blank but there is no malice directed at Minji. If anything, she is curious as to why Minji didn't just get a prosthetic for her missing arm. Surely, if she could afford this piece of paradise, she can afford an arm.

 

“Well, you guys can stay and play longer if you’d like. I’ll just tend to the flowers over there really quick and then head home. You know the way out or…?” They nod, prompting her and Cherry to walk off to the cove.

 

“Uh...” Siyeon starts but Yoohyeon is quick to put a hand over . “I know. It was unexpected for me too.” They watch the owner of the cove tend to the flowers with an experienced hand. True to her word, she gets up to leave after a few minutes. As she is passing by where they are having lunch, Yoohyeon calls out to her.

 

“U-um! Would you-would you like to join us for lunch?” Yoobin looks at her like she grew another head. But Handong squeezes her hand in a reassuring manner. Handong understood that Yoohyeon was never over Minji and that the younger girl needed this. The redhead is shocked in place while her dog happily ran over for some free treats and head pats.

She quickly sobers up and crouches down to hold Cherry’s head in place. “I...” Yoohyeon knows that Minji is about to refuse so she uses her best weapon: the puppy eyes. Gahyeon almost snorts out loud when she sees her older sister quickly averting her eyes. Seems like Yoohyeon still had an effect on Minji as well. These two were so hopeless.

 

So Gahyeon decided to give them a push. She reaches for Minji’s wrist and tugs, giving her puppy eyes too. Minji’s mouth opens but no sound comes out. Lastly, Cherry’s little head swivels under her hand to give her puppy eyes too. Faced with overwhelming cuteness, Minji has no choice but to give in. “Okay...but only if everyone is okay with me being here.”

 

Yoohyeon looks pointedly to her friends and is satisfied when they all nod in agreement. Even Yoobin. So Minji takes a seat on the sand, not wanting to sit too closely to anyone and make them uncomfortable. Gahyeon hands her a sandwich while Cherry settles in her lap, waiting to be fed too.

 

It was awkward for a bit but Minji takes the initiative since Yoohyeon had done so earlier. She asks how and what everyone was doing now and answers their questions in return. Just as the atmosphere was getting to a more comfortable level, Minji’s wristwatch beeps. She feels around her pockets for a bit but does not find what she is looking for.

 

Giving others an apologetic look, Minji stands up, dusting the sand off her pants. “Sorry guys. I have to head back now. It was nice seeing all of you again. Enjoy your vacation.”

 

And just like that, Minji disappears behind the clearing. Though this time, Yoohyeon knows exactly where to find her.

 

--

 

“Ugh.” Silence.

 

“Ugggggghhhhhh.” More silence.

 

“UGGGGHHHH.”

 

“OKAY YOU HAVE OUR UNDIVIDED ATTENTION YOU BIG DOG!” Bora finally had enough and snapped at the whiny girl. They were all settled into Siyeon’s and Bora’s hotel room to have movie night though that was quickly turning into Yoohyeon’s love life counseling night.

 

“Help me guyssssss.” The tallest girl whines. She kicks her legs out like a 3 year old and flopped onto the bed like a fish. Yoobin and Handong, who were cuddling in bed attempt to kick her off. “Hey I know you two are really happy right now but I am in an existential crisis. Please give me some love and attention.” Yoohyeon almost feels the betrayal when she hears Handong whisper when are you not? under her breath. Almost.

 

“Look, we do love you Yooh,” Bora says, “But this is something that you have to face on your own terms. We know how devastated you were when everything went to so...so we don't want you to get hurt again. Especially not by the same person.”

 

“Are you saying you’re against me meeting her again?”

 

Bora sighed, “No, I just think that if you really want to give Kim Minji a chance again, you should be more careful with your heart. You only have one of those. Non-refundable and non-replaceable.”

 

Yoohyeon looked at her usual tormentor with admiration. “Wow, Bora, that’s deep considering you have zero dating experience. I expected this wisdom from Dongie but not you.” Bora reaches over to smack the cheeky girl on the back of her head.

 

“I do too you little brat!” In that moment, Siyeon comes into the room with a bag of snacks from the convenience store. “And she’s right here!” Bora leaps into Siyeon’s arms and gives her a long kiss for all to see. When she pulls away, Siyeon is looking at her with a shell-shocked expression, as is everyone else.

 

“Sorry, baby. The cat is out of the bag.” Bora did not sound apologetic at all. Once they recover from the shock, they bombard the couple with questions.

 

“What the hell?! Since when were you two together?!” Yoobin raises her voice, incredulous at the new development.

 

“Since last year but we kept it a secret for s and giggles. Turns out all of you are too dumb to notice.” Yoohyeon tried to get back at Bora for that gripe but misses by a mile.

 

“Anyways, this ain’t about us. Yoohyeon, you’re an adult so you can decide for yourself. If anything happens, we’ll always be here.” Yoohyeon felt her heart warming at her friends’ support. She was truly lucky to have them, even if they did all the time.

 

“Yoobin?” Everyone knew that Yoobin had the most reservations about Kim Minji. Even if they finally understood the ex-CEO’s intentions, it hurt all the same knowing that Handong might have never gotten back on her feet. Thankfully, everything worked out in the end.

 

“You deserve a shot at happiness, Yooh.” is all she says before getting tackled into a hug.

 

--

 

And that is how Yoohyeon ended up in front of Minji’s wooden house again. She stumbled a bit to find her way for 30 minutes but she made it. And now she’s super nervous. Knocking on the door lightly, Yoohyeon thinks she is going to hurl her lunch on the flowers.

 

The door opens, revealing a recently showered Minji. “Yoohyeon?” Cherry wriggles between the door to greet Yoohyeon.

 

“Me dinner eat.” Yoohyeon blurts. Her face explodes red at the nonsense that comes out of . “Wai-Wait I-I mean...”

 

Minji bursts with laughter, unbridled. Yoohyeon stares at the older girl, amazed at this new expression that she has never seen Minji make before. The older girl looked so unburdened and so happy. It was honestly breathtaking. “You want to have dinner with me? You know you don’t owe me anything. You don't have to do this.”

 

Yoohyeon’s expression softened, “I know but I want to spend time with you, on my own terms. Is that okay?” Minji contemplates for a while, studying the younger girl’s face for any signs of discomfort.

 

“Okay.”

 

--

 

The cafe Minji recommends for dinner is small and quaint. “Most people are at the beach enjoying seafood and drinks at this time.” Minji explains, gesturing to the emptiness of the restaurant. The waiter leads them to a table by the window with a view of the beach across the street. Unfortunately, there were so many people at the beach that they didn't get much of a view at all. Not that it was better than Minji’s private beach.

 

After having a nice dinner with small talk and jokes in between, they decide to walk along the shores. The two had idle conversation until Minji decided to go straight to the heart of the matter. “Yoohyeon, why are you doing this?”

 

“I-I just...I never got over you.” Yoohyeon settled on being honest. Right now, that was the best thing their relationship needed. “Every time you come back to me after a long period away, I can’t help but want to be closer to you again. It sounds stupid, like I’m some dog who can’t let go of her favorite toy. But...I can’t help what I feel and I need to start being honest with myself.”

 

To her complete surprise, Minji doesn’t even flinch. There’s something that Yoohyeon can’t identify in her brown eyes but she hopes it isn’t anything bad. Minji places her hand on Yoohyeon’s, gripping it lightly.

 

“Then I will be honest as well. You’re all I thought about all these years.”

That night, under the blankets of Minji’s little home, Minji and Yoohyeon re-acquainted themselves with the other’s touch, trying to make up for lost time. Kissing was like a paradox: the action breathed life into one another and yet they were completely breathless.

 

Yoohyeon placed her hand on the hem of Minji’s sweater but did not move, “Is this okay?” she asked, referring to revealing Minji’s missing appendage. It was obvious that Minji wore sweaters to hide her amputated arm so Yoohyeon didn’t want to overstep any bounds. The thoughtfulness and gentleness of the younger girl brought tears to Minji’s eyes.

 

It had been a long time since another human was so gentle with her as she chose to live out her days in this quiet part of the island with her dog as her only companion. Minji took it upon herself to remove her sweater, exposing the stump on her left arm. Before she could even say or do anything, Yoohyeon cups her face gently and her cheeks with her thumb.

 

“Don’t cry Minji.” Minji herself didn’t even realize that she started crying. Yoohyeon’s soft gaze and gentle mistrations brought on more tears. It was embarrassing for Minji because she wanted to give Yoohyeon all of her love but here she was, crying like a baby. As if the younger girl knew what she was thinking, she tugs her down so that she is laying in the crook of her neck. Yoohyeon is caressing the back of her head while running the other hand up and down her back in a comforting manner.

 

“It’s okay now. You don't have to do or say anything, Minji. Just let me hold you.” They stayed in that position the whole night. Just skin to skin contact and the occasional kiss. Minji felt more comfort in these simple things than anything else.

 

--

 

“So when are they getting married?”

 

“Don’t know. Yoob just proposed a few days ago.” Came the reply, muffled by a popsicle in the speaker’s mouth. The redhead beside her grimaced at the mess from the dripping treat. She hands her a napkin, only to have Yoohyeon pout her lips, wanting Minji to dab the mess away for her.

 

“You big baby.” Minji giggles at the silly grin Yoohyeon is wearing after getting what she wants. Immediately after, her dog turns around with her face a mess from her doggie ice cream feast. Minji laughs out loud seeing how her dog and her date are far too similar to each other.

 

In the distance, a figure is dashing towards them at breakneck speed. Gahyeon has a terrified expression on her face, running around Minji to hide behind her back. A few minutes later, Bora rounds the corner with a murderous look.

 

“Lee Gahyeon~ Come out so I can squish your cheeks until you explode~” Bora sang, scaring Gahyeon to cower even more behind Minji. Minji turns her head back slightly to ask what Gahyeon did. Maybe she needs to throw Gahyeon under the bus to save herself if the reason warrants it.

 

“I swear I didn't know that the yogurt in the fridge was Siyeon’s!” Gahyeon screams from behind her human shield. Bora ignores her and tried to get around Minji’s body to swipe at the youngest.

 

“Ack! Minji unnie! Help!” Minji is helplessly jostled in between the two girls, not wanting to take any sides. Gahyeon would be mad at her for days and Bora would just outright murder her. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. Yoohyeon tried her best to get her date out of the fray but she was a weak, wobbly tree with zero muscles.

 

Her savior comes in the form of one Handong, an angel sent in from China. The chinese girl firmly grips Bora’s and Gahyeon’s shoulders, effectively separating them. Minji wriggles out from the middle and breathes a sigh of relief.

 

“Dongie! Gahyeon made Singnie sad so she deserves what she’s getting!” Bora tries to argue. Gahyeon was about to open to rebuke but Handong gives them both a stern look. They immediately clamour up, not wanting to unleash a hidden beast. Handong could be really scary when she wanted to be. Sometimes, even Yoobin could not stop her nor is she free from getting an earful from her fiancee.

 

Handong sighs heavily like these two were adding on years to her life. “Now, I don’t care what your reasons are. The both of you are disturbing the people around you and you are interrupting Yoohyeon’s date.” They both have the decency to at least look apologetic towards Yoohyeon and Minji. Glancing at each other and then at Handong, Bora and Gahyeon agree to a truce, for now.

 

Yoohyeon perks up after the chaos has receded. “We weren’t doing much but Minji tells me that there’s a festival going on tonight. It’s by the main beach. We should go!”

 

“It’s unlimited seafood and drinks after purchasing tickets.” Minji adds. Bora looks excited to attend an island party so she easily agrees, promising to get everyone else on board. Minji walks over to the vendor and makes the purchase without batting an eye.

 

Yoohyeon is curious. “I’ve been meaning to ask but how are you able to pay for all of this?” Minji understands that Yoohyeon is referring to her living expenses and such.

 

“Stocks. I just live off of the payoffs from those. You already know where my exit fee from Kim Corporation went so yeah...” Yoohyeon thought that Minji must be a genius in investing if she was able to build a small fortune to sustain herself for this long. From what the blonde could gather, Minji had been traveling around the world, soul-searching as the girl had put it, before settling down at Jeju island. She supposes Minji’s business senses hadn’t dulled since she was kicked out of the company.

 

Feeling a little courageous, Yoohyeon reaches for Minji’s hand and intertwines them as she watches the older girl pocket the tickets.

 

“Let’s go to the aquarium. I want to see some turtles.” Yoohyeon says, tugging their joined hands in the direction of the aquarium. Behind them, Gahyeon leans over to Handong to whisper to her.

 

“Do you think they know that we’re still here?”

 

Handong merely grins, “Let them be.”

 

--

 

The festival air is full of excitement and laughter. Tiki torches line the beach, campfires are laid out every few feet and vendors are selling off their products to the crowd. The music is pumping a dance rhythm into the air, electrifying the party-goers to let loose. Normally, Yoohyeon would avoid scenes like these but it’s her last vacation day before going back to Seoul. She wants this last night to be fun and memorable with her friends and Minji.

 

Speaking of Minji, the girl had not let go of her hand since they arrived. Yoobin gave them a pointed look but said nothing more. Bora and Siyeon already disappeared somewhere in the crowd, probably drinking and being their usual crazy selves. Handong, Yoobin and Gahyeon opted to stick together and enjoy some delectables that Jeju had to offer.

 

“Minji, can I talk to you in private?” Yoohyeon whisper-yells into the redhead’s ear. Minji quickly nods and pulls them into a quieter area with a rocky outcrop. The only sounds are the waves crashing against the formation.

 

“What’s up Yoohyeon? Not having fun?” Minj is genuinely worried that she dragged Yoohyeon into something she hated. Come to think of it, Yoohyeon was never the type to party and drink so Minji was having second thoughts.

 

“No no everything’s fine. This is pretty cool actually. I just wanted to ask you a few things while I still can. I’m going back to Seoul tomorrow so I want to know where we stand.” the tall blonde explains. She sees Minji sighing in relief and it made her smile too. Minji has always been considerate of Yoohyeon’s well-being.

 

The redhead works , thinking of the right words to say. They come to her easily when she just thinks about it in very simple terms. “I want to be with you, Yooh.” Her heart melts a little when she sees Yoohyeon’s eyes soften.

 

“Me too.” These two words were very simple and yet they had a profound effect on Minji. It was all the reassurance that she needed to hear.

 

“Would you be willing to come back? Maybe stay for a few days, talk to your mom?” Yoohyeon knew what was on Minji’s mind when she suggested it so she wanted to reaffirm what the older girl was comfortable with.

 

So it stuns her when she sees the resolution in Minji’s eyes. “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen her and I think I’m ready now.” Minji glances down briefly, taking a deep breath. Yoohyeon cups her face to lift it up and plants a soft kiss on her lips. When they part, Yoohyeon is glad that Minji’s eyes are no longer clouded or empty. It was a good sign.

 

“I’m still scared.” Minji admits. “But I’ve spent years hiding away from the monster that my father made of me--that I’ve made of myself. I...I’m better now. I look into the mirror and I’m no longer repulsed by the person that I see.”

 

“Yeah?” Yoohyeon starts to tear up at Minji’s admission. She had always thought that Minji was beautiful and it hurt to know that the older girl hated herself.

 

“Yeah.” Minji had learned to not overthink and to just follow her heart instead of her brain. Often times, her brain would just run around in circles from her irrational fears about her father finding her and taking her back. She didn’t want to be caged anymore.

 

She was just a lost girl floating in the darkness of space. There were no sounds, no light, no warmth. But somehow, somehow, a little twinkling star in the form of a girl from her childhood made its way into her universe. That star would one day grow to be so big and so bright that Minji would start to gravitate towards it. Even when it dimmed for some time, Minji still felt its residue warmth, keeping her afloat in her hardest moments.

 

And Minji was totally okay with that. She was okay with her star being Kim Yoohyeon. She was okay with the way that Yoohyeon would kiss her like she was the only person that mattered. She was okay with facing her fears of going home as long as Yoohyeon was by her side.

 

And sometime in the near future, when a certain wedded couple has a child, Minji will find herself wanting one with Yoohyeon too.

 

She was home, in the arms of her universe.

 

--