Minji's letter

i'll search the universe (to find you again)

Dear Yoohyeon,

 

By the time you read this letter, I will have already been outed by Kim Corporation’s board of investors. It may not matter much to you but it has a role in why I did what I did.

 

I guess I’ll start from the beginning. My father started showing signs of mental instability ever since the company took a hit. It broke our family apart, which I’m sure you already know. But I couldn’t leave him alone even though I knew it wouldn’t be good for me either. He’s my father you know? When I look at him, I remember our childhood where he taught both of us how to ride a bike. Or that time he built us a treehouse because we wanted to play house. I was all he had left to his legacy with the company so I couldn’t just abandon him. He got a lot worse over time and the doctors diagnosed him with severe addiction to wine. So I took over the company when he started changing for the worse. He never hurt me physically, thankfully. But he became obsessive and controlling, even when I was CEO. I was simply a puppet to his will.

 

I kept going though. He didn't have much time left so I tried my best to be a good daughter up until his death. But it was difficult when I had to endure his harsh words everyday. I was tired and alone. And I missed mom and Gahyeon dearly. So I came up with a plan to escape his grasp. I felt like if I didn't try, I would never get to decide how to live or how to die. He would never cut my strings willingly so I had to figure out a way to make it inevitable. He loved this company more than his own children, that I am sure of. I used that to my advantage. I picked up several projects that seemed promising in order to use the most successful one to plan my escape.

 

Please believe me when I say this: I never intended to use you or your dreams for such a selfish reason. But when I got to know you again, when I saw that you hadn’t changed a bit since we were kids, it gave me hope. And I wanted to do the same for you and your wonderful friends. I was able to endure a little more, for you, I think. Your project would be well funded with my father’s money and you even managed to break through in such a short time! I am proud of you. I truly am. With the success of the prototype and the marketing boost from the company, it became a hot topic among the public. The support was overwhelmingly positive so I knew that if I took that away, the backlash would be unrecoverable. It was my chance and I took it.

 

The rest you already know. I spent the next few days after doing everything I could to turn public opinion against me. And it worked, Yoohyeon. It worked. The board of investors voted to kick me out and my father could not say anything in light of everything.

 

As for this key, the address on the back of this letter is to my apartment. Don't worry, the company is not aware of this house. In there, you will find all of your research data as well as the prototype for Handong and Yoobin. Only one went into production and I’ve ensured that no one else has the plans and research to reproduce it. The patent certificate is also there too.

 

I know none of this was fair to you or Yoobin and I am sorry. All of this was for a selfish wish of one wretched girl. You have every right to hate me. And I hope that you find it in you to never forgive me. Because I know you, Yooh. You’re probably going to forgive me if I beg you. You have a kind soul; the kindest and gentlest heart I know. Meeting you again was a blessing in the abyss.

 

As for me, I don’t know where I will go or what I’ll do after this. I just hope that somewhere down the road, I’ll be a better person from today. And who knows, maybe the universe will bring us back together. If it does, I hope that the Kim Minji you see before you is a person that understands how to live.

 

Thank you, Yoohyeon. For coming into my life.

 

From a wandering soul,

 

Kim Minji