Day - 1

From Above
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Did you ever want to end your life because it had lost its meaning? Myoui Mina ever did it. It’s when she lost her dad when she’s still 7 years old and just lost her mom weeks ago when she’s still in medical school, tried to safe her mom from illness. Now it’s too late, her mom had gone. She had no purpose anymore to live. Until her aunt came in a perfect time when she’s trying to end her life in her home.

 

Her aunt, Shiho, was live alone. She asked Mina to live with her since her own home still gave a bad memory for her. Shiho knew that Mina was still unstable so she always tried to tell Mina that her life was so precious and her parents in heaven definitely wanted her to have a happy life.

 

Mina was getting better. But it didn’t mean that her will to end her life had gone. It’s still there, deep down. And funny how when she’s trying to survive, suddenly God had another plot.

 

It’s early in the morning when she’s in a train station, waiting to go to the campus. She’s reading a book since she had a final test in hours later. Once she’s looking up, she saw a boy who’s playing close to the rail. As if it’s only her who saw that boy, no one tried to tell him to stay away from the rail since it’s dangerous.

 

There’s an announcement that the train would come in few minutes. But the boy hadn’t move, and probably his mom who sat on the bench, was still busy with her phone. The train was getting closer and-

 

“Watch out!!!!” Mina shouted at him while running closer to grab his hand. And it’s another late for Mina. But now, it’s not another person, not that boy, but her.

 

 

Mina woke up in dizziness. She slightly remembered that a train hit her back. But weird, she didn’t feel anything. When she looked around, she’s wondering where was she.

 

Instead of a hospital, she sat on a long chair. Like a movie theater, in front of her were counters, with someone stood behind each counter with no emotion.

 

“Excuse me, do you know where am I?” Mina asked one of them.

 

“Queue number please.” said a woman behind the counter, still with no emotion, didn’t look at Mina’s eyes either.

 

“Sorry?” Mina confused.

 

“Queue number please.”

 

Mina was looking at other people around her. They had serial numbers hanging on their chests. She then looked at herself and none. She had no serial number.

 

“Well you can see it clearly I don’t have it, just tell me where am I.”

 

“Queue number please.”

 

“Merde! Can’t you see???” Mina was getting impatient, “I don’t have it!!!”

 

“Queue number please.”

 

“Fu-” Mina was about to shout at her again when suddenly someone patted her left shoulder.

 

“Umm- are you Myoui Mina?” asked an old man behind her.

 

“Y-yes. How could you know?”

 

“Please follow me.” that man turned back and walked away.

 

“W-wait! Would you tell me what is it? Where am I?” Mina still couldn’t understand while following that man.

 

“You’ll know, keep following me.”

 

 

“Please have a seat first.”

 

Now both were in a room full of papers, and there were an old woman and a young man too, guessed they’re his employees.

 

“Please, Sir. I don’t have much time” looking at her watch, “I need to go, I have a final test in an hour.”

 

“We’re sorry, but you can’t go.”

 

“H-”

 

“You’re dead.”

 

“What???” Mina’s shocked, “please stop joking, I’m perfectly fine, and I need to go now.”

 

Mina then opened the door, ready to go. But all she could see was darkness. No single light.

 

She looked for her phone, but it’s lost.

 

“Umm, can I borrow your flashlight?” she asked to the woman.

 

“Dear, you had died” said the woman while comforting her.

 

“Oh c’mon, yes I want to die but not now please, I had a final test today until next two weeks. And- and hey I don’t have a serial number like them.” She finally realized, “Are you lying?”

 

“No-no, we’re not...but...” the old man couldn’t finish his sentence.

 

“But we’re making mistake.” Suddenly the young man continued. “Hi, I’m Songjin. That man is Mr. Lee and that woman is Mrs. Choi. And we’re working here in Human Life Span Department.”

 

Mina couldn’t give any response to that weird introduction which was out of logic.

 

“This is your fault Mr. Lee.” Mrs. Choi suddenly accused him.

 

“Yah! We’re discussing about this Myoui Mina, you’re disturbing me when I was going to-”

 

“Wait wait wait” Mina tried to stop their bickering, “What’s with that ‘discussing Myoui Mina’?”

 

“Huh...so. We’re discussing about your life span. You’re getting better. So we wanted to make it longer. But this old man wrote your name in a wrong column.” Mrs. Choi finally explained it, even Mina couldn’t understand it all.

 

“So...actually my time’s still long, but you put me in a wrong life span which is shorter?”

 

“Y-yes...” said Mr. Lee.

 

“Ok, I got it. So, just write my name in a right column.”

 

“That’s the problem.” looking down at his table, Mr. Lee made Mina worried.

 

“Don’t tell me...” Mina wasn’t ready for another shocking facts.

 

“We can’t change it just like that. It’s complicated.” yep Songjin said it.

 

“But it’s his fault!” she shouted angrily while pointing her finger on the old man.

 

“We-we’re looking for a way, dear.” again Mrs. Choi tried to comfort Mina by her back.

 

“How???”

 

“Y-you can go back, to your real life span, b-but...” and again Mr. Lee couldn’t end his sentence, “but you have to be someone else for days until we fix this problem” oh he continued it.

 

“How could that possible???” today’s full of confusing things for Mina.

 

“There’s this person, who actually has died, she’s still breathing but her soul is playing around. An angel of the death said he will catch her soul in 4 days.” said Mr. Lee while looking at his paper.

 

“And...what about me?” Mina’s curious where’s it going.

 

“You can use her body for awhile until it’s all clear.” Songjin was always there to give a quick answer.

 

“Why? I can’t stay here? Isn’t it same?”

 

“You can stay here, not until the angel of death finds you and sees you as a lost soul who commits suicide. Means, if you stay here, you’ll die for real.”

 

“That’s ridiculous!” Mina still couldn’t believe that she had to deal with all of this because of a mistake she didn’t do.

 

“We’re sorry dear, but that’s the only way. And you must keep your identity. Or another big trouble will come because we’re playing with God.” Mrs. Choi said in a sad voice, “but we can make an exception!” then she smiled.

 

“What is it?”

 

“You can keep your body, we’ll erase people’s memory about her face, change it your face instead, until her soul is catched.”

 

“Ok.” finally Mina agreed, “but promise me that you’ll bring me back to my life in 4 days.”

 

“Sure!” Mr. Lee held her hands, “Mrs. Choi, please bring the drink!”

 

“Oh thanks, yes I’m so thirsty” Mina said while taking a glass from Mrs. Choi, didn’t care what was that, until suddenly she felt so sleepy.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter