AUTHOR'S ANALYSIS

Bows and ties aren't pretty where you're concerned
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hi, it's thequadraticformula!

I know a lot of you won't be interested in my though processes behind my writing or anything because it can get kinda boring and sometimes ruin your own interpretation of a plot, but for some reason, I just felt like taking a few of my more confusing fics and explaining/justifying my choices in them in a little extra chapter.

I thought this one would be nice to start off with since it's one of my shortest fics and also one of my most bizarre. Maybe some of you got the intended meaning, and maybe you didn't. If you're a bit of an analyser like I am, you might like to read this little addition to further develop your interpretation. Anyways, let's get right to it!

Also a fair warning that this will be FAR longer than the actual fic. Whoops.

 

ANALYSIS:

Now, some of this may be 'inacurate' in a way since I wrote this a while back in January this year, but I'll do my best to state the original meaning of the one-shot based on my feelings and intentions at the time.

I'll take a moment to explain the context of the story. This is a one-shot based on 'Five Centimetres Per Second', an anime that I watched many years ago that I didn't enjoy. I was in a bit of a rough patch emotionally at the time of writing and I think for some reason what I remembered of the plot resonated with me a little, so I was inspired.
The story is about the development and unravelling of a relationship between a boy and a girl. She moves on, he does not.
I have a very similar plot going on here. Sana plays the boy that doesn't move on, Momo is the girl who does.
We can say that Momo and Sana had a romantic relationship for a long while before Momo moved away to Korea. We can assume they lost contact and Momo eventually found Heechul and moved on.

Okay, now we've got that sorted I'll begin with the first sentence. I start off the work with a quote from the song 'My Favourite Things' from The Sound of Music (which is the best musical btw). Originally I think I was just using it to be creepy. I was imagining a voice singing it in a tunnel or with extra reverb. 
In retrospect we could look at it like this:
- The quote "Brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favourite things." is used at both the beginning and the end of the piece and could be used as a symbol for Sana's situation (will be explained later) and how it encompasses all of who she is and thus, encompasses the whole story
- The fact the the song references "favourite things" instead of "favourite people" for example could insinuate that to Momo, Sana was never more than a play thing and that's why she forgot about her and everything s easily
- The quote literally references sting which, in this story/representation, Sana happens to be literally tied up with.

Next we come to the first paragraph:

Sana could hear the melody seeping from Momo's closed lips. Tendrils of song pouring out of and from the corners of her eyes. It looked like black blood to Sana. Or maybe poison. She smiled; her teeth stained black with the clashing of the polyharmony spilling to the floor. It was a matter of minutes it seemed before the liquid would fill the space between them and cover Sana's shoes over.

I've used some sort of imagery to create this sort of... horror concept. Everything about Momo's appearance to Sana is horrifying and scary and there is blood coming out of and the sound of it is clashing harmonies and it's all very overwhelming. She's stressed because all her feelings for her never left and she's upset because she can see that Momo has moved on and the whole situation is kind of eating her up from the inside out.
I use the words "blood", "poison" and  "polyharmony" to engage the senses and develop that 'horrifying' atmosphere.
It might be just me, but I can hear the song and I can imagine the polyharmony and it really adds to the atmosphere of the scene so I'm glad I put that there.

Paragraph 2:

"It's been a while, Sana. Probably too long." It is just Sana that heard it, but she flinched at the sharpness of Momo's tone. She said it in a predatory manor. Sana's mind was morphing her beautiful features into a demonic image.

"Yeah it has. It's... a shame we didn't keep up with each other." Sana replied as steadily as possible.

"Do you want to hang out with us? We could catch up over tea... if you want?"

The key thing here is "It is just Sana that heard it, but she flinched at the sharpness of Momo's tone." I'm not a big fan of the way I phrased it, and I should probably edit it to make everything more cohesive,

Please log in to read the full chapter