Ch. 10 - A Deeper Conversation

MEET YOU AGAIN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The midterm test is over. Some students are a little uneasy about their grades. For second grade students, they have started to write their goals after graduating from school such as universities to be chosen along with their majors. 

Ahyoung collected form data sheets about the University and Department they would choose. She stood beside Sehun's desk and took the paper with a meaningful smile because she already knew his choice and placed it close to her paper.

Then, she gave the entire form to their homeroom teacher in the teacher's room before going home.

"What did you choose, Ahyoung?" The homeroom teacher asked her.

"Seoul National University, Architecture Department.," she replied.

"Wow. That's good for your ability right now, keep it up and don't let your grades go down. Have you thought about the focus that you will take later?" 

Ahyoung slightly tilted her head while thinking, "I think I want to focus on the layout of the city and the settlement but recently, interior design also seems fun. I'm still thinking about it.."

The homeroom teacher smiled proudly at her, "Take it easy, you still have plenty of time." 

Ahyoung nodded. Before Ahyoung left, her teacher held her back again. "By the way, are you still studying with Sehun? I think he has improved."

She nodded again. "Yeah, sometimes."

"I heard he wants to enter the police academy. So, he must continue to raise his score again." The homeroom teacher looked a little doubtful to say something to her. "I also heard that he had problems in his family and it was difficult for him to study. I heard gossip from the students, you were close, so please help him and cheer him up."

Ahyoung frowned, "Problem ... in his family?" She was a little doubtful.

"He didn't tell me all the cases yet. But we know... his father always made him difficult. You're close to him, you know what I mean ... "

What does she mean? Ahyoung didn't get it at all. If she asked what was happened to him, then she would not answer it and it would look suspicious because she thinks they are close. So she just agreed and went out of the room.

Shortly, after she walked, she saw Sehun walking in the corridor to the canteen. She paused and thought about the words of their homeroom teacher. Does this have to do with the reason he works so hard?

Ahyoung continued her walks and followed him to the cafeteria. She saw him sitting after buying a portion of kimbab. She came to him after getting a kimbab too and sat in front of him.

"You still here? Not home?" She asked. 

"What are you doing? I came here alone." He asked without answering her.

"We can go home early because of the midterm test. But seeing you here makes me want to go home late."

He took a piece of kimbab and told her to go home. But she did not want to obey him. 

"So this is the reason you forgot your promise to going home with me" Suddenly Minah came and sat beside her. "I looked for you in your class ..." She grunts.

Ahyoung looked at her as feels bad to Minah. "I forgot! I'm sorry ..."

Minah rolls her eyes back to her and makes a face like she doesn't want to hear the reason.

"Annyeong, Oh Sehun!" She ignores Ahyoung and greets him as smiling.

Sehun just gave her a cold glanced and not said anything. 

"Kim Ahyoung, why are you so comfortable eating together with a statue?" Minah quipped.

Ahyoung glanced at him and denied. "No. We just talked.." 

"Really? I heard you were the only girl he talked to ..." Minah saw Sehun's reaction, which started to get annoyed and she was shut immediately.

She defends him. "He only talks to people he knows. Don't misunderstand him. He doesn't know you, so ... " She shrugs and looked at him.

"Are you his girlfriend? You always defend him.." Minah looked at her disbelief.

She wrapped her chopsticks with her lips and felt a little embarrassed.

"You are even willing to apply for part-time work at his workplace, are you also going to apply at the bar like him?" Minah noticed her words and her lips began to purs. She promised to keep it a secret.

Ahyoung almost choked and looked at him timidly. 

He put down the chopsticks a little rough and looking up at her. 

"Come with me now." From his voice, she knew that he was getting mad. 

Minah feels bad as bites her tongue. "Sehun, I-" she didn't dare to say anything when she saw his face scary.

Sehun moved from his place and walked out.

Ahyoung looked at Minah who felt very guilty, she closed her eyes as she sighed and felt nervous. "Minah, just go home first, I'll take care of him." She moved and ran after him.

Minah patted her forehead and cursed herself.

Meanwhile, Ahyoung ran to him. "Oh Sehun!" She tried to call him and had difficulty following his quick steps. 

Sehun stops and turned at her, he pulled her hand and dragged her into gym storage.

He closed the iron door behind him roughly to make a loud bang that scared her a little. He removed her wrist and looked at her sharply. 

"Sehun, I am really.." Ahyoung knows whatever the reason, she was still wrong. She told Minah about his secret.

"You promised." He said with his eyes full of anger and disappointment also a little anxiety that made her want to cry because of feelings of guilt.

"Don't worry ... Minah is my best friend. She won't- "

He interrupted, "She? She is the same as you. Reckless, pretentious close to me, and a blabbermouth!" 

She frowns, she was stunned to hear he vilify her best friend. "Don't talk about Minah like that! I believe in her, she wouldn't do anything stupid that would damage someone!" She shouted back. "And why you always accuse people however you like? And conclude everything as you like!"

He smirked, "You and your friend might think this is a small thing. But this is very important to me!" He pressed. "If rumors about me working at the bar spread, I wouldn't be able to work there again, the school will revoke my scholarship and I still have to work to stay alive!" He said it quickly and loudly.

She looked at him confidently, "I swear it will never happen."

He shook his head, "Don't swear or promise me. I have no more trust in you.." His words made her feel lost him.

Sehun turned back and said, "You follow me everywhere, call my name as if we're close, make people think we have a thing, smile all the time and then giggle like a fool." He pursed his lips. "You said you like me, huh? You're just obsessed with me."

"How can you decide about someone's feelings?" She asked firmly as looked at his back with eyes that are already wet. "I don't know what obsession is. I just want to know you, be close to you, and enjoy hanging out with you because I just simply like you. No, I like you so much that I only think about how to show it to you!" She breathed out after talk without pause. "You're the one who made me look bad..." She adds with a lower voice.

"Just stop, you make me sick." He said very coldly and turning the door handle in front of him but it didn't open, he turned it again but still did not open.

Ahyoung who was still crying behind seems confused "What's wrong?" She asked in a mellow voice as sniffles.

Sehun didn't answer and tried to open the door. He banged on the door while shouting for help.

Ahyoung came to him and tried to open it. "Why can't this be opened?!" She panicked, she patted the door and called for someone who might be there. 

But this is a midterm test, many students leave early and this place is not visited by many people. 

Not long, she noticed something on the floors. A sign that says 'Don't close the door, the door is broken!' As if falling from the door.

"Sehun...look at this."

He read the sign as his face turned pale, he rubbed his face up to the top of his hair, his anger made him mess and he took a deep breath.

Ahyoung looked around, the room was not large, only ventilated and there were no windows. She thought of a way and took a rickety chair. 

"What are you doing?" Sehun watched her put the chair on the side of the wall.

She climbed on the chair and peeked at the vent.

"Check if there is someone outside."

She tried to look at various angles, "Hello! Is someone there?! Please! We are locked!" She kept screaming as she kept on tiptoe until the rickety chair started to get out of balance.

"Omo! Sehun!" She prepared to fall for Sehun who was panicked seeing her too. "Ah..u..aaa!" She grabbed his shoulders, set one foot on the floor and pushed him against the broken tennis table and made her knee hit something sharp.

Sehun held them with his hands resting on the tennis table. He could feel her s against him made he tried to make a space from her. She looked up and saw him who looked away. She got her mind back and jumped backward. 

She was awkward, "I am sorry ... I am sorry .." she repeats and feels sore on her knees. She looked for a place to check her knee, she decided to sit on the floor while leaning against the door and she tried to stretch her legs but that made her sorer so she bent a little. Her knee's skin was torn and bleeding. She can only blow it.

Sehun noticed her and just keep quiet. 

Ahyoung looked up at him, "What should we do?" Her eyes are a bit swollen.

"Did you bring your cellphone?" Sehun asked.

Ahyoung shook, "my cellphone in my backpack, and left in the canteen. You?'

"Me too.." He slowly sat on the floor, his face showed no hope. 

Both are silent. How did this happen after they shouted at each other? This is very awkward. It's hard to swallow. Ahyoung hated it but she didn't dare to speak first. She wanted to ask him to break the door but it was impossible, the door was made of iron and Sehun was not a superhero. 

They are accompanied by the afternoon sun slipping between the vents. Even so, the air is still rather cold. 

She opened her school blazer and covered her exposed legs that have an uncomfortable position. She leaned her face on her knees and glanced at him who was also just pensive. She remembered the words of their homeroom teacher and his words just now. Many things she didn't know about him. They were still so far from each other, how foolish she was to think they were getting closer. 

The sky looks darker, there is no noise outside, at night there should be security guards going around but they haven't heard them through. 

Ahyoung stood to look for the light switch. She found it on the side of the mat that stood, to reach it needed effort because it was blocked by a pile of baskets filled with balls. A longer hand reached first, she knew, Sehun's hand. She looked at the side of his face that was so close and his chest pushed her back slightly.

Luckily, the lights are still functioning properly. Without speaking, they returned to their places. 

Towards night, the air is not as cold as early spring but the wind entering through the ventilation is quite uncomfortable.

Suddenly, the lights flickered repeatedly until finally completely turned off made Ahyoung startled and jump to her side as grab a chair. "Why is the light off?" She looked at the ceiling.

Sehun went and checked the light switch. He pressed it up and down many times. "It does not work.."

"Eotteokhae?" She asked in a worried voice.

He looked down at her, the lights from outside flashed on her face. "It can't be helped, we have to wait until the security guards go around."

She sighs and rests her face back. "I'm so hungry ..." She muttered.

He sat down again and chose the place opposite her. He looked at her, he also felt hungry, "I also haven't had time to finish my kimbab. Thanks to someone..."

"You're very good at cornering someone." She said behind her arms. Even so, she still felt guilty. She glanced at him who was not so visible because it was dark. She wanted to break the silence that was squealing in her ears. So, she asks him in hesitant.

"Why do you want to be the police?" 

She doesn't care if he answers it or not. But, maybe not because there is only silence.

"Because there is someone I like who dreams of becoming a policewoman." He suddenly answered after a silence. Never thought things like that would come out of his mouth.

Is he stating that there is someone in his heart? She doesn't even have the right to get hurt. And hearing his openness, she didn't know whether she should be happy or sad. 

"I decided to go there because of her." He added.

"Hmm..." She squeezed the blazer in her hand. "You must really like her..." Her voice sounded bitter.

"Is that also your reason for working so hard?" She asked.

Ahyoung thought maybe he would answer like 'I don't want to tell you' or 'why do you ask so many questions?' So she has no expectations.

But he opened his mouth. "My father is a chaotic person. He lives his way and causes a lot of problems. That might also be the reason why my mother left us..." 

"My sister is a singer at a bar, and I can work there because of her." He added.

She lifted her face, listening to him who for the first time talked about himself. 

He continues. "Since childhood, my sister was the one who made a living for us. She even forgot to please herself ... it made me feel bad. So, after I entered high school and was able to work. I work as much as possible so that she doesn't have to work as hard anymore as before." She can feel the warm side of him.

"But apparently, my father always ruined our calm days. He likes to gamble and has lots of debt because of it. Therefore all I can think of now is money and I don't even care about scholarships anymore even though I'm afraid of losing them." 

She recalled the story of their homeroom teacher and now she understood what she meant. 

"Hmm..." She smiled. "You did well."

He snorted, "Usually someone would say, like, I feel sorry or something like ..." he shrugged. "You know?"

She leaned her back, looking straight ahead. "When someone struggles for something, don't we have to praise them? 'You did well, that's enough'." She said with a little caution. "And compared to feel sorry, I am impressed." She looked at him.

"You are such a good kid." She said.

He could see faintly, the smile that had always graced his world lately. 

"My grandfather always said, your world doesn't always go as you wish. But you can choose many ways to survive." She sighed. "You know, do what you want to do. Money, scholarships, and your dreams. Everything you do for someone's sake right? If we do it for someone precious to us, it is stronger than anything in this world."

He was secretly flattered. "I don't need your advice." The words that came out were different from what he felt.

She chuckled, "Am I talking a lot? I am sorry."

She cleared , "And...I'm sorry about not keeping my promise. I always tell her anything, this is my negligence. I should be blamed..."

Sehun didn't answer. He just kept quiet and looked at her, he felt very angry before but now he feels fine. Is it because of their conversation? Or because it's not a big deal?

"But you don't have to forgive me ... " She said.

"Ng."

Hearing the reply made her almost giggles, "You are Sehun after all."

Sehun only blinked once as if he admitted it. 

They fell silent again. But they don't know what else to do but talk.

She began to open again. "As for me, I am the only child. I have no brothers or sisters. My parents spoiled me a lot and you could say I did not lack any facilities." She straightened her knee which began to ache, she could feel pain in the folds of her wound but soon she got used to it. "Their attention sometimes becomes excessive. They are very over-protective, making me feel uncomfortable and constrained. They arranged all the paths I was going to take, it was annoying. They want me to follow in their footsteps, but I insist on rejecting their wishes and so I try hard to achieve my dreams."

"Architecture?" He responds, remembering when she talked about her dream.

"Hm, You remember?"

"You can certainly achieve it with your ability."

She chuckled, "It feels strange to hear that from you."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter