Lesson 3 (final)

The Boyfriend Project

The next morning Baekhyun yawned widely as he entered his favourite coffee shop on campus before class. Chanyeol and he had ended up staying up till 2 am playing the new game and he was exhausted. Chanyeol usually met up with him in the mornings but Baekhyun hadn’t seen him yet. He joined the queue and played with his phone, after a couple of minutes he looked up and realised Kyungsoo was in the coffee line right in front of him and for once he was alone. He looked around quickly for Chanyeol, but he was still nowhere in sight. The big, dumb giant was always missing his chances!

Kyungsoo must have realised he was standing behind him because he turned around and also glanced about like he was looking for someone.

“It’s weird to see you alone,” he said to Baekhyun. “Where’s your boyfriend?”

“What boyfriend?” asked Baekhyun surprised.

“Tall, big ears, claps when he laughs.”

“Who? Chanyeol?!” ejected Baekhyun. “Chanyeol isn’t my boyfriend!” He gave a high, unnatural laugh that shocked even himself.

Kyungsoo gave him a weird look.

Baekhyun tried to calm himself down, he didn’t understand why he was suddenly feeling so out of breath. “What made you think he was my boyfriend?” he asked trying to keep his voice even, low and casual.

“Well you’re always together,” said Kyungsoo shrugging.

“We’re not together now!”

“No, I can see that. Do you want to sit together?”

“Oh, I can’t, I’m…waiting for someone,” he admitted.

“Big ears?” asked Kyungsoo, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah,” confessed Baekhyun reluctantly.

They had reached the front of the queue. Kyungsoo gave him an insufferably knowing smile and turned to place his order.

Baekhyun ran his hands back through his hair and huffed to himself. Kyungsoo was completely crazy! As if he and Chanyeol had to be dating just because they spent a little time together…ok, a lot of time together…alright, most of their time together, but still that didn’t mean they were dating!

Kyungsoo had obviously finished ordering and left because when Baekhyun looked up next he was gone, and the cashier was free. He ordered his drink and moved over to the pickup area to wait for it, still distracted by what Kyungsoo had said. He should have told Kyungsoo that Chanyeol wasn’t his type. He was definitely not attracted to big, dumb cuties like Chanyeol. And his ears were not that big! Well even if they were, they suited him and they were super cute, just like the rest of him…which he was definitely not attracted to!

“Earth to Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun jumped in shock. The big-eared cutie himself was standing right in front of his holding out his drink.

“Where did you get that?” he gasped, still clutching his chest in surprise.

“They were calling your name when I came in, so I grabbed it,” explained Chanyeol, looking concerned, “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine. You just missed Kyungsoo.”

Chanyeol looked around. “Oh yeah, was Jongin with him?”

“No, actually he was alone,” Baekhyun said. He wasn’t going to mention what Kyungsoo had said to him, but he was so annoyed about it he couldn’t stop himself. “He thought that you and I were dating!” he burst out suddenly. “Can you even believe that?!” He reached up automatically to push a stray lock of Chanyeol’s hair back into place. Chanyeol had done a pretty good job styling it up today. Actually, he had done a very good job styling everything Baekhyun looked him up and down appreciatively. He was wearing the same torn, tight jeans he’d tried on in the store, a black t-shirt and an open denim shirt over the top.

“Well we do spend a lot of time together,” said Chanyeol.

“What?” asked Baekhyun distractedly, “I mean, yeah, that’s what he said,” then added hastily, “but don’t worry I told him we aren’t together.”

“Did you tell him you’re out of my league?” said Chanyeol teasingly.

“No. I’m not out of your league!” exclaimed Baekhyun earnestly.

Chanyeol gave him a soft smile. “I was joking. What’s up with you today?”

“Nothing, just tired,” he lied.

“Well go sit down then, while I order,” said Chanyeol.

Baekhyun found an empty table and sipped his caramel latte distractedly watching Chanyeol order his drink. After a few minutes, he came over and sat down opposite him.

Chanyeol took a tentative sip of his drink.

“What is that? Hot chocolate?” asked Baekhyun.

“Nope, it's black coffee,” said Chanyeol proudly, taking off the lid and showing Baekhyun the dark liquid.

“Oh my, how grown-up of you,” said Baekhyun impressed.

“I know,” said Chanyeol, then he lowered his voice and whispered miserably, “I hate it, it's really awful.”

“It can’t be that bad,” exclaimed Baekhyun, taking the cup from Chanyeol’s hand.

He took a sip and gagged. It was awful, really bitter and far too hot. He couldn’t swallow it, it was burning his mouth already, without thinking he took the only way out and spat it straight back into the cup.

Chanyeol stared open-mouthed in horror at the spit bubbles swimming around in his coffee.

Baekhyun wiped his mouth on the back of his hand. He broke the shocked silence to say sadly, “I guess this is mine now, huh?” as he pulled the cup closer towards him, determinedly not looking at it. He was still intensely horrified by what he had just done. He reluctantly pushed his caramel latte over to Chanyeol.

“It’s ok,” said Chanyeol softly. “Give me that,” he said reaching for the black coffee cup.

“You can’t drink that!” yelped Baekhyun.

“I’m not going to,” he laughed, walking over to the bin and tipping the liquid in. He came back with the empty cup and took the lid off the caramel latte. He carefully poured half the drink into the empty cup and gave it back to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun gave him a coy smile.

“What?” asked Chanyeol.

“Nothing...just that that was really y,” Baekhyun said, biting his lip.

Chanyeol laughed and said, “And what you did…was really uny!”

“I know, spitting isn’t y,” said Baekhyun, “…swallowing is though,” he added suggestively.

Chanyeol choked on a sip of latte. “I’ll keep that in mind for my date,” he laughed.

“You better not on the first date, Park Chanyeol!”

Chanyeol laughed expansively. Baekhyun noticed he really did clap when he laughed. It was an endearingly familiar gesture.

“So, where’s my doughnut anyway?” he asked gruffly.

“It’s here,” said Chanyeol, pulling a paper bag out of his backpack and sliding it across the table to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun grabbed it eagerly and peered inside. The bag contained a plain chocolate doughnut, no animal faces or anything.

“Oh,” he said. “You finally listened.”

Chanyeol who had been watching him closely suddenly laughed again. “You’re actually disappointed, aren’t you?”

“No, I’m not,” protested Baekhyun half-heartedly.

Chanyeol sighed and reached into his backpack again pulling out another identical paper bag and handed it to Baekhyun. “Tada,” he said. “I just knew you’d be disappointed!”

Baekhyun tried to contain his smile as he opened the second bag, this one had a black and white panda faced doughnut inside.

“Monochrome!” said Chanyeol. “See, I was listening!”

“Well done,” said Baekhyun indulgently, as he chewed on the panda doughnut.

“So, what am I learning today?”

“I thought we should practise what to say when you ask Kyungsoo out,” said Baekhyun through a mouthful of panda doughnut.

“That’s a good idea,” agreed Chanyeol.

“Ok, so when asking someone out, confidence is key,” instructed Baekhyun. He looked right at Chanyeol and said loudly and clearly, “Would you like to get a coffee with me on Saturday?”

“Not Saturday! We’re going to the zoo remember?” said Chanyeol, immediately.

“Alright, would you like to get a coffee with me on Sunday?”

“Oh, I can't Sunday it's my mum's birthday.”

“Fine,” said Baekhyun, becoming increasingly annoyed. “Would you like to get a coffee with me on Monday?”

“I’ve got classes most of the day Monday,” said Chanyeol, looking at the calendar on his phone.

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes and said through gritted teeth, “Would you like to get a coffee with me on Tuesday afternoon but only between 2:00 and 2:05?!”

Chanyeol glanced at the calendar again. “Yeah, ok I’m free then. I’m actually free from 2-4 pm!”

Baekhyun stared at him incredulously. “Chanyeol I'm not asking you! I'm telling you what to say to Kyungsoo!”

“Oh,” said Chanyeol, his big eyes wide. “See I didn’t get that.”

Baekhyun put his face in his hands.

“Will you get coffee with me on that Tuesday though?” Chanyeol asked earnestly. “I don't have any classes that afternoon.”

“Me neither,” said Baekhyun after checking his phone, “Ok, can we go to Jaejoong’s café in Gangnam?!”

“Oh my god, Yes! I’ve wanted to go there for ages!”

“That was actually really good,” said Baekhyun.

“What was?”

“The way you just asked me out!”

“Oh?” said Chanyeol, then he smiled. “I did it! Ok, that wasn’t hard, I can definitely do this.”

“You just need to be confident and concise, no rambling and nothing vague and absolutely no elaborate, romantic gestures and you’ll be fine,” said Baekhyun, drinking his drink. “When are you going to ask him out for?”

“Um, I don’t know,” said Chanyeol, looking around the coffee shop distractedly. “I’m quite busy at the moment, maybe next Saturday? Unless you want to go bowling again?”

“We can go bowling any time,” said Baekhyun, annoyed by Chanyeol’s sudden lack of enthusiasm, but he put it down to nerves. “If next Saturday is the only time you’re free, you should ask him out for then.”

“Yeah, I guess,” shrugged Chanyeol.

“I should get going, my tute starts soon,” said Baekhyun, checking the time on his phone.

Baekhyun had his economics tutorial on Wednesdays at 11 am, with both Kyungsoo and Jongin. Chanyeol’s economics tutorial wasn’t until 2 pm Thursdays. It worked out well for Chanyeol because Baekhyun always warned him about surprise tests.

“I’ll walk you,” said Chanyeol, standing up and throwing his backpack over his shoulder.

They headed off across campus towards the building Baekhyun’s tutorial was in. Chanyeol suddenly caught up one of his hands and laced his fingers through his.

Baekhyun stopped walking suddenly. “What are you doing?” he said in surprise, but without drawing his hand away.

“I thought we could practise what to do when I’m walking him home from the date,” said Chanyeol. “Hand-holding is ok, right?”

“Yes, hand-holding is fine,” said Baekhyun uncertainly, looking down at the big, warm hand gripping his. He started off walking again and Chanyeol kept pace.

Chanyeol swung their joined hands back and forth enthusiastically.

“But hand swinging is not!” exclaimed Baekhyun. “You’re going to rip my arm off.”

“Sorry, I got too excited,” said Chanyeol, squeezing Baekhyun’s fingers apologetically.

It wasn’t a very big campus and if they had taken the most direct route to the building it would only have taken a minute or so to get there. Baekhyun was surprised when Chanyeol pulled him onto the more scenic path that skirted the whole campus taking them past the tree-lined border.

“Can we pretend that tree is his apartment?” asked Chanyeol pointing to a tree about 20 metres ahead slightly off the path.

“Alright, you should be telling him what a good time you had on the date,” prompted Baekhyun.

“I had a really good time on our date,” said Chanyeol, immediately in a low, soft voice, he looked at Baekhyun shyly as he said it and Baekhyun thought his heart actually skipped a beat. They reached the edge of the path and the tree before he even realised how far they’d walked. Baekhyun looked around quickly to make sure he wasn’t going to walk into the tree when he turned back Chanyeol had stepped in close. He was giving him the same soft-eyed look he'd given him in the café.

Without thinking, Baekhyun leant in and before he could pull back again Chanyeol had closed the distance between them. He kissed him softly but insistently and the world just fell away. There was nothing but Chanyeol’s arms wrapped tightly around his waist and his lips moving in perfect sync with his. He tilted his head, opening his mouth to deepen the kiss. His tongue found Chanyeol’s and he opened his eyes wide. Oh my god, had he really just put his tongue in his Chanyeol’s mouth?

“What the hell are you doing?” he gasped, pulling back, even though he was quite sure he had started it.

“You leant in!” exclaimed Chanyeol indignantly.

“No, I didn't!” he denied, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

“Yes, you did!”

“I didn't!”

He glanced at Chanyeol and quickly looked away again. Chanyeol had looked upset and confused. His cheeks were fast turning as pink as his lips. How had he never noticed how plump and soft Chanyeol’s lips were before?

“At least tell me how the kiss was?” Chanyeol asked.

“Amazing,” said Baekhyun, without thinking all his attention still focused on Chanyeol’s full lips, “….ly inappropriate!” he added, realizing what he’d said with a start. “I told you already you can't do this stuff on a 1st date!”

“No. You said I shouldn't him you didn't say anything about kissing!”

“Well keep your hands and your lips to yourself!”

“Alright,” agreed Chanyeol seriously. “But what do I do if he tries to kiss me?” he asked, “or he leans in?” he added under his breath, quickly looking away from Baekhyun’s furious expression.

“I didn’t lean in!” Baekhyun protested, “and if he tries to kiss you...,” he said, his mind suddenly filled with the image of Kyungsoo leaning in the kiss Chanyeol. “Just push him off and run away,” he found himself saying. “Guys like that sort of thing, I promise. It keeps them guessing.”

“Oh, ok,” said Chanyeol he furrowed his brow and looked a little confused.

“I’ve got to go! See you later,” Baekhyun called suddenly and before Chanyeol could stop him he ran off towards his tutorial.

He didn’t go into the classroom but instead entered a nearby bathroom and stared at his bewildered reflection in the mirror, his cheeks flushed and eyes wild. What was the matter with him? He knew he had just given Chanyeol some bad advice. He wanted his friend to be happy, didn't he? So why didn't he want him kissing Kyungsoo?

He touched his lips distractedly.

Because if Chanyeol kisses Kyungsoo the way he’d kissed him, Kyungsoo would never be able to resist it. He admitted to himself for the first time that deep down despite all his efforts to help Chanyeol, he was secretly hoping Kyungsoo would reject him. He was slightly horrified by this realisation. He didn’t want Chanyeol to date Kyungsoo.

He thought about Chanyeol dancing ridiculously, how he’d looked when he’d stepped out of that change room and about the way Chanyeol always took care of him and how he felt when Chanyeol gave him those tender-eyed smiles.

“Oh my god! I want to date Chanyeol!” he said out loud.

There was no denying it. He liked big, dumb cuties and Chanyeol was the biggest, dumbest cutie of them all. But now he didn’t know what to do. Chanyeol didn’t want to date him, he liked Kyungsoo. The thought alone made his heartache.

He splashed cold water on his face then left the bathroom.

When he entered the classroom, it was mostly full there were only a few empty seats, one of which was right next to Kyungsoo. Baekhyun dithered in the doorway, he didn’t want to sit with Kyungsoo, besides he figured the seat was for Jongin who he couldn’t see anywhere. To his surprise, Kyungsoo saw him and waved him over. He quickly looked behind him to make sure he wasn’t looking at someone else, but no one was there. Awkwardly, feeling like he had no choice he approached Kyungsoo and sat down next to him.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey,” said Kyungsoo back and then they lapsed into an awkward silence.

“Where’s Jongin?” asked Baekhyun, after a minute.

“Oh, he’s off sick today,” said Kyungsoo, which explained why he was suddenly so keen to sit with him. “Have you been stood up again?”

“No. Chanyeol’s not in this class,” replied Baekhyun, he felt hot and uncomfortable and he was annoyed that Kyungsoo hadn’t even noticed by now that Chanyeol wasn’t in this tutorial. Still, Jongin being away was important information, if Chanyeol wanted to get Kyungsoo alone, today was the day to do it.

The awkward silence returned as Baekhyun considered the situation. If he really cared about Chanyeol he’d help him get the guy he liked, right? Maybe he should tell Kyungsoo about what a wonderful guy Chanyeol was and what an amazing boyfriend he would be? After all, it was better that Chanyeol was happy, even if it was with someone else…right? He did his best to quiet the internal voice which replied immediately, ‘Nope, miserable and with me is definitely better!’. He pushed the selfish thought away, of course he wanted Chanyeol to be happy.

He decided he wouldn't talk to Kyungsoo about Chanyeol, only because he knew he would give his feelings away if he tried. However, he would definitely tell Chanyeol about Jongin being away. He owed him the chance to follow his feelings. The tutorial finally began and Baekhyun had an excuse to not talk to Kyungsoo anymore.

After the class ended, he said a hasty goodbye to Kyungsoo and ran off to find Chanyeol. Their next class was a Statistics lecture which they all had together in a lecture theatre on the ground floor of the next building. He found Chanyeol waiting outside for him. Baekhyun grabbed his arm and pulled him away from the crowd of students waiting to go into the theatre.

“Guess what?” Baekhyun said quickly before he could change his mind and talk himself out of it.

“What?”

“Jongin’s off sick today!”

“That’s awful. Oh, I bet he got a kidney chill from wearing that crop top,” exclaimed Chanyeol. He paused then added, “Hey you said y people don’t get sick.”

Baekhyun shrugged. “Maybe…he's not that y after all,” he said hesitantly, glancing up at Chanyeol.

Chanyeol gave him a highly sceptical look. “Wait. Are we talking about the same Jongin? Smouldering looks and abs for days?”

“Yes, alright, of course I think he's y. I've got eyes, don’t I?” Baekhyun admitted, feeling annoyed he couldn’t express himself properly. He looked away and added vaguely, “I just meant maybe he's not really my type.”

He looked back when Chanyeol didn’t say anything. Chanyeol was watching him, one corner of his mouth twitched into the beginnings of a lopsided grin.

“Anyway, that's not the point!” explained Baekhyun quickly. “If he’s off sick he won't be in class this afternoon.”

“Oh, do you think I should take notes for him?”

“No! Think about it, Kyungsoo will be alone. You can ask him out!!”

 “Oh,” said Chanyeol, as if the realisation had just dawned on him. “Oh,” he said again more quietly. Then suddenly he gasped out, “I better go then I’ve got so much to prepare.” He turned and ran off.

Baekhyun called after him nervously, “What have you got to prepare?!”

He frowned. If Chanyeol was following the plan he should have absolutely nothing to prepare. “I said no elaborate romantic gestures!” he yelled, but Chanyeol was already out of earshot.

Chanyeol was absent for the whole of their statistics class. By the end Baekhyun was growing increasingly nervous, he really hoped that Chanyeol wasn’t about to do something embarrassing that would make Kyungsoo slap him in public. As he exited the lecture theatre, he kept Kyungsoo in his sights while he looked around for Chanyeol. He watched Kyungsoo walk off in the direction of the Library.

Baekhyun peered around, but he couldn’t see Chanyeol anywhere and normally he was pretty easy to spot. Where was that big, dumb giant?! He was letting Kyungsoo get away.

He walked down the path a little and his foot crunched something hard and dry. He looked down, whatever it had been, it was now crushed, pinkish powder. He looked ahead and saw something else pink on the ground, he bent down to examine it. It was a Jigglypuff multivitamin.

“Chanyeol?!” he called looking around again, but there was no reply. He bent down and picked the multivitamin up. Looking ahead he saw another one a bit further on. He walked quickly down the path stopping every few metres to pick up a Jigglypuff.

The path opened out onto a mostly forgotten grassy area behind a building, where people sometimes took naps between classes.

It was deserted now, except for Chanyeol who was standing in the middle, on a large picnic blanket. He was surrounded by open boxes of what looked like adorable animal doughnuts.

Baekhyun stopped in surprise. “What’s going on?” he asked.

Chanyeol beckoned him closer, and Baekhyun, wide-eyed in bewilderment and stepping carefully not to tread on any doughnuts, joined him on the picnic rug.

“Will you go out with me?!” Chanyeol asked confidently like Baekhyun had taught him. The effect was slightly ruined however by the plush Jigglypuff cosplay hat he was wearing on his head. Baekhyun hadn’t immediately noticed it because it was the same colour as his hair.

“Are you practising?” asked Baekhyun confused.

“No, I’m asking you to go out with me!” said Chanyeol, earnestly. He took Baekhyun’s hands in his.

“B-but I thought you liked Kyungsoo?!” stammered Baekhyun in amazement.

Chanyeol smiled. “I thought I did too until I realised everything I liked about him is just because it reminds me of you,” he said softly.

“What?” asked Baekhyun doubtfully.

“I like his eye smile because I think your eye smile is so lovely and I like his size because I think you're the perfect size!” explained Chanyeol. “But then I realised there are so many more things that I like about just you. Like how much fun you are to be with and how you make me laugh and how we like all the same things! And when I kissed you this morning, I realised all I want to do is kiss you!” He squeezed Baekhyun’s hands. “I mean, I want to do other stuff too...but only with you!” he added, giving Baekhyun a shy look. “I thought I’d better ask you quickly because you keep pushing me to ask Kyungsoo. And I know that you like y guys and I'm not good at that. But I will try really hard, I promise.”

“You don’t need to,” said Baekhyun, his cheeks ached from trying not to smile. “I think I like cute guys best after all,” he admitted. “And besides sometimes you’re really y even without trying.”

“Really?” breathed Chanyeol.

“Yeah, like right now for example.”

“Even with the hat?”

“Even with the hat,” Baekhyun said, gazing into Chanyeol’s big earnest eyes.

“Great, because I got you one too!” Chanyeol exclaimed pulling another identical Jigglypuff hat out of his bag.

Baekhyun snatched it up gleefully and put it on his head.

“I actually got the hats back before I dyed my hair, but I thought I might as well wear it,” explained Chanyeol.

“Wait…is that why you dyed your hair pink…to look like Jigglypuff?!”

Chanyeol bit his lip. “I showed the hairdresser a picture to get the colour exactly right,” he admitted shyly.

Baekhyun thought his heart might actually burst and not just out of anticipation of all the doughnuts he was going to eat. “I knew there was no way the hairdresser told you that colour was manly!” he said, looking down at the boxes to hide his blush.

“Yeah, she actually tried to talk me out of it,” confessed Chanyeol.

Baekhyun laughed, he made eye contact with Chanyeol again before quickly looking down at the doughnuts, he felt sure his face was pinker than Chanyeol’s hair by now.

Chanyeol said nervously, “Look, if you’re still not sure about it, how about I give you a doughnut for every day that you date me?”

“Well I think you’ve got a least 6 months’ worth of dates right here,” exclaimed Baekhyun, gesturing to the array of cute, animal-faced doughnuts.

“I had to go to 3 different shops,” admitted Chanyeol.

“Well if I get one for every day we date…then you’re going to need to buy a lot more,” said Baekhyun, looking up at him and smiling.

Chanyeol’s eyes went wide and a smile had already started to appear in the corner of his lips. “So, you’re saying yes, right?” he breathed

“Of course, I’m saying yes!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “It’s you!”

Chanyeol swept him up gleefully, spinning him on the spot till they almost stumbled onto a box of doughnuts. He cupped Baekhyun’s cheeks with both hands, his eyes shining with delight and kissed him passionately on the lips. Baekhyun sank into the kiss, parting his lips and letting Chanyeol’s tongue tangle with his own. The kiss was even better than the last one. His knees actually felt a little weak, he leant against Chanyeol letting him hold his weight. Chanyeol’s familiar scent was surrounding him again, his heady cologne mixed with the delicious sweetness of doughnuts, or was it the taste the doughnuts? Chanyeol’s mouth tasted surprisingly sweet to his tongue.

Baekhyun broke the kiss.

“Have you been eating my doughnuts?!” he exclaimed.

“I just had one! You’ve still got like 200!”

Baekhyun laughed and said, “It better have been a Weedle doughnut!”

“It was,” lied Chanyeol, without bothering to keep a straight face.

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s neck, pulling him back in for another dizzying kiss.

200 doughnuts, all for him! Dating a big, dumb cutie had its advantages after all.

 

The end.