Chapter 6

Wisteria

Sooyeon slouched on her seat and massaged her temples. It’s been three hours since she’s been here and she badly needs a break. Unfortunately, her professor thinks otherwise. Mr. Jang said thinks that Sooyeon has had too much time neglecting her report and now’s the perfect time to catch up on it.

“Catch up my .”

A kiss on her cheek startled her. She was met with big brown orbs.

“Hey baby,” the newcomer sat next to her and reached for her hand. “Mr. Jang’s giving you a hard time?”

Sooyeon pouted and leaned to the other’s chest. “When did he not? He makes my life a living hell.”

The other patted her back affectionately. “Don’t worry babe. After this semester, we’ll be free.”

Sooyeon wanted to be happy, she really did. But the thought of more problems coming up brings her down. It’s only a couple of months until graduation. It seems like yesterday, she was still on her first year. Oh…how time flies by so quickly.

“By the way, I have a surprise for you.” The other let her go and fished something out of his pocket. He brought out a shining silver necklace with a ring attached to it. He stood up and brought Sooyeon with him. “Turn around.” Sooyeon did so and he put the necklace on her. He hugged her by the waist and kissed her cheek again. “Happy birthday Sooyeon.”

For the first time in the day, Sooyeon smiled. She turned around and faced her boyfriend.
“Thank you. I thought you forgot Jjongie.”

Jonghyun pinched her nose. “Silly. How can I forget when it’s been marked permanently in my calendar for four years now?”

That’s true. They’ve been together for four years now and everything just seems perfect. Sooyeon feels that she’s the luckiest girl to have ever lived by having someone like Jonghyun by her side. He’s affectionate and funny and y and smart. He’s anything that every girl wants in a boyfriend. Well, that’s the main reason why her fellow schoolmate’s go after him every single time but she’s not paranoid. She has no reason to be. Jonghyun’s eyes are only for her. That is one thing she’s pretty sure of.

She took a look around the library for any pair of eyes that might be staring at them. When she found none, she leaned in and kissed the other’s plump lips. Jonghyun chuckled in the kiss. This was so typical of his girlfriend. PDA’s are not her thing.

“You could’ve waited until tonight to give this to me.” Sooyeon said breaking the kiss.

Jonghyun’s smile faltered a bit. Then she shook his head. “Uhm…about the dinner…”

“gig?”

The male nodded slowly. “Look babe, I know I shouldn’t put this band gig before you but…”

“Sooyeon caressed her boyfriend’s face lovingly. “It’s fine. I have to finish a lot of things anyway. Let’s celebrate some other time, okay?”

Jonghyun pulled her close to him again and kissed her lips. “I knew you would understand. I love you.”
Sooyeon hugged him back and nestled on his neck. “Me too.”

---

It’s already a quarter after four and Sooyeon’s dragging her feet along the streets of Seoul. She passed by the grocery before coming home, her mom asked her to pick up some missing items on her shopping list and Sooyeon’s sure that it’ll all be for her birthday so she doesn’t mind at all.

She was already dozing off inside the bus when a girl hopped on. She caught Sooyeon’s attention, well, mainly because she’s really pretty. There wasn’t that much passengers on board and there are lots of comfortable seats to take but this girl chose the seat next to her.

Is she a pick-pocket? She asked herself. Nowadays, you can’t be too sure of everyone. She may look like an angel, but she may have a sinister mind.

“Don’t worry. I’m not as bad as you think I am.” The girl spoke.

Sooyeon blinked and felt her cheeks turn into deep shade of pink. “S-sorry…”

“That’s okay.”

Sooeyon let a few minutes pass by staring out the window. The traffic light turned red and they halted to a stop. Her seatmate sighed.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“Are you happy?”

Sooyeon stiffened because of two reasons. First, she didn’t expect anyone would ask her that, especially from a stranger. And two, she’s having a hard time to answer it. She wonders why. She has contented with what she has now. She’s studying in a prestigious university, she has loving parents that support her every step of the way and a perfect boyfriend. Why would she doubt her happiness?

“uhm…”

“There’s a difference between being contented and being happy. Some settle for the first, some with the latter.” The girl turned to her. “I think you’re one of those who settle for the first.”

It irked her. How can this girl make such a statement? “I’m happy with my life. Why wouldn’t I? I mean…I have everything I wanted. I have everything I love.”

The girl laughed bitterly. “Are you trying to convince me or yourself?” she frowned and bit her lip. “Sorry. It just seems that there’s something troubling you.”

Sooyeon thought it over whether to tell the other of her problem or not. She shrugged and thought that this might be a good way of letting out her troubles. She doesn’t have to worry about being judged because she’s a stranger. Surely, they won’t be that attached in the future.

She took a deep breath before muttering out. “I don’t know why I can’t seem to tell my boyfriend I love him.”

“Well, do you really?”

“Do I really what?”

“Do you really love him?”

She froze again. This girl mustn’t have heard her the first time. But wait, why can’t she answer right away?

“Y-yes.” Why is she stuttering?

“You at lying. I guess hanging around with angels too much affected you a bit.” The girl looked at her with sad eyes. “You can’t tell him you love him because your heart says otherwise.”

Sooyeon tried her best to not claw into the other’s face. How can she judge her right away? It’s not as if they’ve known each other before…did they?

“Excuse me bu-” as she looked at her side again, she was gone. All that’s left was a piece o pink of paper and a flower.
 

Yes, you do know me. I’m Stephanie. And today, I’m going to give you back what you’ve lost for four years. I’m really sorry that I had to take it away. She told me so. I was just following orders.

P.S Happy birthday. Consider this as my gift for you.



She took the flower and twirled it in her hands. “What am I gonna do with you?”

---

Her party ended rather early. It was not that eventful or exciting but it was worth it. Her friends’ and parents’ smiles were a sight to see.

She was already opening her gifts inside her room when she stumbled at the purple flower. It was nothing compared to the bouquets she received but this one, she just can’t seem to let go of it now. She lied on the bed and smelled it. “You smell pretty nice.” Since when did she talk to plants? But that thought blurred out as the scent reached her senses. She closed her eyes with the sensation and she felt a shiver ran down her spine. She opened her eyes and found herself in an odd place.

“Oh my…where am I? What is this place?” She took a good look around. It all seems so familiar but she can’t place any word to it all. She doesn’t understand…how can she end up here? She brought a hand to her forehead and massaged it. Her head is pounding so hard with thinking of any reason explaining her current situation. “Am I dreaming?”

“I hope so...I don’t want you to be here through another way.” That voice. Her eyes dilated as memories come rushing in. That voice wasn’t enough though, the rush stopped mid-way. She needs more….she turned around and looked or the source of that voice. She looked out for her.

“Welcome back.” Tears pooled her eyes as the familiar figure walked closer. It was those same eyes, nose, cheeks and lips. She was still that tall, she has the same hair color and length, she was still that thin. Still, it wasn’t enough. Sooyeon knows her but she can’t remember her name.

Sooyeon took quick steps forward and lunged at the figure. She wrapped her arms around the taller one and buried her face into the other’s chest.

“Summer….” She remembered. She remembered because of the warmth she felt. She remembered because of that warm smile on the other’s face. She remembered because she could, should and would remember her always. There was no doubt about that. It’s her Summer after all.

“Happy birthday kiddo.” Summer hugged her back and nuzzled into her hair. “I missed you…” Sooyeon sobbed with joy as she felt the sincerity in her voice.

“I…I don’t remember everything until now. I-I forgot about you for four years but it didn’t make me miss you less…” She clutched on the other’s top as if it were her lifeline. “I’m sorry…I’m really really sorry…Please don’t make me forget you again…”

Sooyeon felt Summer stifle a sob. “B- but don’t you think it’s better that way? I m-mean you’ve got a boyfriend now.” And with that, never in the four years of having a relationship with Jonghyun had Sooyeon felt disgusted with herself.

Sooyeon’s disgusted of herself because she used Jonghyun. She used him as a dummy- someone to whom she’ll show affection that she hasn’t had the chance to show to Summer. She knows that now because right here in Summer’s arms, she feels genuine love. It was now clear to her that all she ever had for Jonghyun was just a shadow of what she felt for Summer and it’s not fair because Jonghyun really loved her.

“B-but I love you Summer…” Stephanie was right. She can’t tell Jonghyun that she loves him because it was not the right thing to say. The only name worthy of completing the phrase ‘I LOVE YOU’ is the keeper’s name.

The taller girl sighed and kissed the top of her head. “I lied, you know.” And Sooyeon just cried more. “I feel the same way towards you. You mean so much to me. I couldn’t be self-centered that time Sooyeon. I know with you being tied up to me, you’ll never move on- you’ll never grow up. I had to do what’s best for you.”

“I knew I went over the line. It’s my fault. I’ve suffered for that already. So please…don’t make me forget about you again. If you want me to grow up, I will. I’ll do everything you want me to do just…don’t deny me the memories I have of you. This is the least you can give me for my birthday.”

Sooyeon felt a knife stab through her heart as Summer cried out loud. This is the first time she’s seen the other break down.

Summer pour out all of her emotions because she knew that this is the last time they’ll be together like this. She knows that this is the end.

“O-okay…” Summer kissed Sooyeon’s forehead. “Remember…I love you…”

Sooyeon doesn’t know what to do. She doesn’t know whether to cry or to jump with joy. Maybe she’ll do both. But before she could take her thoughts into action, she felt something cold creep up at her feet. She looked down and saw her slowly turning into mist. So…this is it…this is the end. This may not seem like a fairytale ending but they’re both happy. They both love each other, that’s what matters. That’s enough happiness to last them until the next lifetime.

Before Sooyeon completely disappears, she managed to mutter words that burned in Summer’s heart. “No matter what happens, you’ll always have my heart.”

---

When Sooyeon came back to reality, she prayed. She owes God so much for making Summer come into her life.

---

Sooyeon thought it over whether to break up with Jonghyun or to continue the lie. She opted for the first one. She’s going to need all the support she can get and no one’s been that steady for her except for her so-called boyfriend.

Years passed. She graduated with flying colors. She got a high position in a big company. She achieved that much because Summer’s words inspire her everytime. Live your life to the fullest. She repeats that line to herself everyday, it’s her mantra, her own chant. And it never failed to do her wonders.

Then in one fine day, he broke it to her. He went down on one knee and pulled out a box.
“Will you marry me?” he asked.

She wanted to refuse, she wanted to walk out and break away but she thinks it’ll just take her back to square one and she can’t afford that. Summer won’t like that. So instead of shaking her head, she pulled him up to his feet and hugged him tight.

“Yes, I will.” This is for you Summer. I hope you’re proud of me. Sooyeon thought.

---

The spotlight’s on her. Everyone’s eyes are admiring her from head to toe. At the end of the aisle, her groom has his puppy eyes glinting with pride and love. She hoped for someone else to be there, waiting for her but she knows it’s impossible so she shrugged it off.

“Summer, you know you’ll always have my heart, right?”

---

After a year, Sooyeon found herself inside the operating room. Her tummy aches real bad and all that’s in her head now was to breathe hard and push. But it’s difficult to do so. Her heart beats frantically against her chest and her mind is in a swirl. She heard a baby’s cry then she doesn’t have an idea of what happened next.

“Sooyeon, wake up.” Someone was shaking her shoulders. The nurses won’t wake her up this way, would they?

“Wake up kiddo.”

No one else calls her that except for…she opened her eyes and her smiling face came into view.

“Summer?!”

The other girl smiled widely and caressed her cheek. “Finally. You’re here.”

Sooyeon’s brows furrowed and stood up. “Why am I here? I was at the hospital. I was at the operating room. I was giving birth.” Slowly, fear crept into her chest. “D-don’t tell me I’m dead.”

“But you are dead.”

“I- I can’t be…my baby…” Sooeyon’s crying now. “I-I need to be there for my baby…please send me back.”

Summer’s face turned grim. “No.” her voice was stern and scary.

“B-but why? You always said that I should-”

“But this time it’s different. You came here naturally. Not because of any stupid attempt. This is your time Sooyeon. You can’t go back now.”

Sooyeon’s legs gave up. She ended up crying knelt on the ground. She looked up to Summer with hopeful eyes. “Y-you can send me b-back right? You already did it b-before. C’mon Summer. Please.”

Summer turned around. “Can I be selfish just for once? I’ve been waiting for so long Sooyeon. Now that you’re here, I can’t let you go anymore.”

“B-but Summer…”

“Can’t you see Sooyeon? This is our time. We can finally be together. Aren’t you happy with that?”

Sooyeon should be happy. She wanted to be with Summer forever but how come that instead of feeling good, it’s the complete opposite?

The baby. Why would she feel good thinking that she’s leaving a newborn on earth without a mother?

It’s like Summer can read her thoughts. She looked over her shoulder and said, “Do you really want to go back?”

Sooyeon nodded. “For the baby. You always said that one must live her life. I don’t think that my child will be able to do so, if she missed out on the chance of experiencing a mother’s love. She would always look back on what if’s and she won’t be able to move forward. Do you want that to happen?”

Of course Summer doesn’t want that. She knows she can’t do anything else about it. So she put her happiness aside once again and made a sacrifice for the third time.

---

Flash forward to the future. Old age has taken it’s toll on our heroine. Sooyeon lies on her hospital bed, waiting for Doojoon to come. She has already said her goodbyes to everyone. She hates seeing her family’s tear-strained faces but she can’t do anything about it now. She’s ready for death. She’s ready to meet Summer again.

She knows she had hurt her the last time they met and she’s been asking for forgiveness from Summer non-stop but she hadn’t heard anything from her or from Stephanie.

“Maybe she’s till mad at me?”

“No, she’s not.” Sooyeon looked up to the man beside her. “She understood you. Don’t worry. Her feelings for you didn’t lessen one bit.”

Sooyeon smiled weakly. “Take me to her Doojoon.”

Doojoon’s lips pursed but didn’t say anything. In a matter of seconds, Sooyeon’s in heaven again, her wrinkles are gone and she’s nineteen again. She doesn’t know why she’s young again but didn’t dare ask.

Sooyeon ran to the little cabin. “Summer? Summer? Where are you?”

No one answered. That’s when Sooyeon noticed that it’s quite dusty in the place. It seems that no one lived there for so long.

“She’s gone Sooyeon.”

She turned around harshly and faced Doojoon. “W-what???”

“She’s reincarnated. A few months after she revived you, big boss decided to reincarnate her.”

Sooyeon was mad and confused. “I want to talk to him now.”

“To who?”

“Your boss.”

Doojoon’s eyes widen in surprise. “B-but-”

“Let her Doojoon.” A voice as loud as thunder roared inside the small house. Sooyeon presumes this is the ‘big boss’ “take her to my office.”

---

The big boss’ office is big like Dumbledore’s. She doesn’t know what God looks like and she’s quite excited to find it out. To her dismay, the boss has his back turned against her.
“So…why do I owe you this visit?”

Sooyeon took a deep breath. “Why did you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Everything. Aren’t you the one who planned my life?”

Boss chuckled. As he laughed, Sooyeon can feel the sun brighten up on Earth. “Everything happens for a reason. I bet you’re asking me why did I make you two fall for each other. I didn’t plan Summer saving you when you were a kid. I didn’t plan you committing suicide. It just all came into place. I was surprised myself when I’ve observed your progress. You two complimented each other. You needed a push to change yourself. Summer needed someone who’ll free her from my captive.”

“C-captive?”

“You see, Summer is special to me. She’s the most efficient keeper I’ve ever had plus her personality and her outlook towards everything is so pure. I don’t want her to reincarnate and stain her perfection. I guess I’m capable of being selfish too. I just needed a reason for me to let her go.”

“What reason was that?”

“Summer’s allowed to revive someone only once. The second time she revived you, I let it slip. I was still stubborn to keep her here. But the third time…I can’t tolerate it anymore. As much as I want her to stay, I have to follow my own rules. So, I finally gave her what she’s been asking for.”


Sooyeon stood there speechless. All she could think of as of the moment is that Summer’s gone. She’s probably living a new life now and enjoying another person’s company. She can’t help but feel jealous and depressed. She was about to walk out of the office when big boss spoke again.

“Don’t lose hope, Sooyeon. Just keep the faith. Who knows, you two might meet again.”
Sooyeon doesn’t want to keep her hopes up so she tried to ignore what boss said. But her heart was too stubborn and held on to his words anyway.

---

She doesn’t know how many days passed. She’s not aware of anything else. She’s just curled up on Summer’s sofa with her knees to her chest. She’s hugging Summer’s pillow, trying to capture the faintest of her scent.

Three knocks were heard. The door opened and the new keeper went in. Sooyeon never bothered to ask for his name, she was too pre-occupied with nothing but relieving moments with Summer.

“Noona…it’s time.”

“Time for what?”

“Time to live a new life.”

Is it worth it? Should she be happy? Will she live as wizard next? Will she become a fairy? Will she become a wicked stepsister to Snow white? Will she be Pinocchio’s friend? With the number of possibilities and dimension’s present, she’s losing hope that she’ll meet Summer again.

With a heavy heart, she pulled herself off of the sofa and followed the keeper.
She was at the gate again. She knows how this reincarnation works. She’s watched Summer do this before. She’ll be given a train ticket with weird symbols on it and she needs to board a train. The train will take you to your new life.

After taking a seat inside the train, she leaned her head on the window and shut her eyes. She feels the pain again. Is Summer thinking of her right now? Is she wishing that they’ll meet again? Maybe Summer doesn’t even remember her. How pitiful of her.

When the train started moving, she kept murmuring a new mantra, “No matter what happens, you’ll always have my heart.” She’s hoping that in her next life, she’ll still remember her. She’ll still remember Summer.

---

When Sooyeon opened her eyes, she found herself inside a sandbox. She tilted her head to the side as she checked out her sand castle. “It’s not pretty.” She pouted and crossed her arms over her chest. She glanced at the school gate for their driver. Kindergarten’s finished thirty minutes ago and she’s bored. She wants to play but there’s nothing else to do at the playground. She huffed and stood up and made her way towards the slide. That’s when she noticed a girl sitting on one of the swings.

She thought about it for a while. She’s not that good in making friends. All the other kids thought she was a brat. So she never tried to make the first move in friendly introductions. “But I’m really bored and she looks lonely…”

In the end, she let her feet drag her to the swings.

“Hi. I’m Sooyeon.” The girl didn’t answer. She just has her head down. Maybe she wants someone to push her. Sooyeon thought so she went to her back and pushed her but instead of the other girl swinging with squeals of joy, she lied down on the ground with groans of pain.

“Oops. Sorry.” Sooyeon rushed to her and pulled her up.

“What did you try to do?” The girl checked her arms and legs for bruises.

“I thought you wanted someone to push you.” Sooyeon dusted off the dirt off the other’s uniform.

“You pushed me too hard. You didn’t even warn me. Didn’t you see I was not holding on to the swing?”

“I said I’m sorry.” She walked away from me and went to the nearest water fountain. Sooyeon followed the other kid. She washed her hands on the fountain. Then she turned around and saw Sooyeon. “What do you want?”

“You.” Little Sooyeon flashed her a smile.

“What??”

“I want to be your friend, silly.” She gave out her right hand. “I’m Jung Sooyeon. But you can call me Jessica.”

The girl just stared at Sooyeon’s hand as if our heroine’s some kind of alien being with 8 fingers on each hand. Then finally, she shook her hand. “I’m Choi Sooyoung.”

“So…what now?”

“what what now?”

“I’m not good with these things…”

“what things?” Sooyoung sat on a bench. Sooyeon sat next to her.

“these introduction and friendly thingy…”

“why are you asking me? You’re the one who approached me first.”

“yeah. I was surprised with that. It’s the first time I actually made the first move to introduce myself to someone.” Sooyoung looked at the other.

“You’re weird.” Sooyeon looked back and gave her a glare.

“So?”

“I like you.” She smiled. And woah…Sooyeon never thought a girl would beat her own smile.