Chapter 3

Wisteria

Sooyeon opened the door as quiet as she can. It was already late in the night, there’s no watch or anything but she can tell by the stillness of the garden that everyone must be sound asleep. After having a talk with Stephanie, she took refuge under a big tree by the sunflower garden and reflected for a bit.

*flashback*

“I’ve been Summer’s friend the first day she was here. Jinki was still the keeper back then. When she found out that she could live again, she was really excited. Everyday she would approach Jinki and ask him if it’s her turn to reincarnate but at the end of the day, she goes back home disappointed. She grew restless to the point that she sleeps really early hoping that when she opens her eyes, she’ll be in another world with people, creatures, fairies or anyone and anything alive.” Stephanie looked at the sunset then pulled out a pink scroll from beneath her wings. She looked through the list and smiled. “College freshmen. How cute.” She looked at Sooyeon and waved. “I’ve got a job to do. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She turned around and spread her wings out.

“Wait,” Stephanie gave Sooyeon a glance. “Why didn’t Summer reincarnate yet?”

Stephanie’s lips turned to a small smile. “The boss knows when a soul should reincarnate. And sadly, up until now, it’s still isn’t Summer’s time yet.” Stephanie picked a flower and handed it over to Sooyeon. “I think you two just had a misunderstanding.” She took three steps back then fluttered her wings and flew away.

*end*


“Sunflower…” Sooyeon smiled bitterly. “All is not what is seems.” Sooyeon gently picked the petals one by one. “Aish. It’s not my fault that I didn’t know who she is. I didn’t even expect to meet the one who saved me.”

“You’re just thinking of your easy way out. Don’t be a brat.”

Easy way out? Really?

Well…I haven’t talked it out with either Joon or Eunjung…

I haven’t consulted my parents too…


“Okay. Maybe this is the easy way out.” She admitted. Guilt flooded her, how can her conscience take her being such a ***** to the person who saved her life? She remembered the look Summer gave her. It was so cold that she felt a shiver run down her spine. How can I make it up to her?

“Maybe Stephanie knows…” She called out the angel’s name in the hope that she’ll appear out of nowhere just like how genies in stories do.


Home? Where exactly is her home? Back in the busy streets of Seoul? Back in the province? Here on earth? She doesn’t know. What she knows is that she should go back and make up with Summer. She rested her head against the tree trunk and closed her eyes. She worked up her brain to think of ways on how to make amends with the keeper. She might have thought too much because she fell asleep and soon woke up to the sound of annoying crickets.

Now here she is, tiptoeing to the room without making the lightest of sounds. Just as she was about to turn the knob, the door opened revealing a tall, slim figure. “Oh…”

“Oh.” She wiped her sweaty hands on her pants. “Hey…”

Summer looked away. “I just grabbed a new blanket.” Then she moved past Sooyeon and set up the couch. The other one sighed and bit the insides of her cheek. At least she still talked to me. She went inside the room and sat at the edge of the bed. She took her time in rehearsing her memorized lines of apology. She wanted everything to go smoothly because she can’t afford a mistake. She wants everything to be done and over with without the extra discussion.

After she changed her clothes, she went out of the room to talk things over with the keeper but, surprisingly, she’s not on the couch or anywhere in the living room.

Then she heard clanking of a spoon and teacup. Sooyeon went to take a look in the kitchen and voila, the taller of the two is stirring a cup of coffee. She must’ve felt the other’s presence because she stopped and grabbed another tea cup. “do you want some sugar in your-”

Sooyeon stood across the counter where Summer is. “No thanks. I’m not a coffee person.” It’s amazing how normal everything is. They eat and bathe but they don’t work and watch tv or log-in computers. It’s just them and the simplicity and calmness of this place. Sooyeon vaguely remembers Summer telling her that sometimes their next life is sometimes connected to what they do here. There was once a kid that reincarnated to a botanist because he diligently tended to the gardens here in heaven.

“This isn’t coffee. It’s milk tea.” Summer said in defense but returned the cup on the holder anyway.

After minutes of grueling silence, Summer finally spoke. “I’ve already set your cabin. You can move there tomorrow.”
Sooyeon blinked at her. “W-what?”

Summer took her time in sipping her tea before answering the other. “You said you want to stay, then stay. I haven’t erased your name completely , you’re still alive back there. It’s like you’re just like a subconscious right now. Don’t worry I’ll trace your name, first thing tomorrow morning.” She started to go back to the living room with her cup in hand.

Sooyeon clenched her fist tightly and her lips quivered. All the things that she practiced went down the drain. Just, say something. Anything! She told herself. “I’m not moving.” And she guessed it was enough because the other turned back harshly with her brows meeting at the middle of her forehead.

“What are you trying to te-”

“I’m going back.” Sooyeon was surprised at how easy she said that. Her mind didn’t even try to fight it. It’s as if she didn’t wanted to die in the first place.

“Now, that’s a surprise.” Summer trudged back to her seat and leaned forward to Sooyeon. “What made you change your mind?”

Sooyeon breathed out. “I guess I owe it to you.”

“Me?” Summer scoffed. “What good deed did I do?”

Sooyeon thought about it for a moment. Is it okay for her to say it? Summer seems a little bitter about death. Does she the taller one hate her?

“You…you saved my life.”

Summer shrugged. “All I did was erase your name on-”

“You died for me.” Sooyeon jolted as Summer’s cup slipped for her hands and crash on the counter. She reached for some tissue and handed it over. After everything’s cleaned, Summer slumped on the counter.

“How did you know?”

“Stephanie.”

“Ah…figures.”

Sooyeon felt the environment lighten a bit. Maybe this is the perfect chance to get everything cleared. “Why did you erase my name?”

Sooyeon thought that Summer would lash out at her or stay quiet but to her surprise, the latter smiled. “I want you to live your life to the fullest.”

“Kiddo…be good okay? Grow up and live your life to the fullest.”

She remembers her savior say that to her before sacrificing herself. She didn’t understand it before and even now. “Why?”
“Because I never did.” Summer laughed a bit. “Thinking about it…I never had the chance to.”

Sooyeon remembered Summer’s life story. Summer didn’t live her life, she struggled for it.
“I wonder why you didn’t try to commit suicide.”

“It’s because I hoped that someday things might turn better for me. Up until now I’m still hoping.” She straightened on her seat. “I assume Steph told you about Jinki.” The other nodded. “That clumsy keeper can’t have any work done without making any complications. I felt the need to help the guy since I have all the time in heaven to waste.” Then she added in a whisper. “And it’s a subtle way of making a good impression to the boss. I thought it would speed up my time to be reincarnated.” She chuckled like a child and it left Sooyeon amused. She could get used to hearing that voice everyday.

“Why are you in a rush anyway?”

“With all the mess in past, why wouldn’t I rush? I mean, I want to experience life in a new light and maybe in that new experience, I can do things that I always wanted to do. Maybe I could be someone totally different from who I was. That would be so amazing.”

“But what if you turn out to be the same? maybe even worse.”

Summer’s face turned sour but shook it off. “Cliché but…I’ll cross the bridge when I get there.”

Sooyeon admires the other girl. She’s never met anyone who’s so determined and who treasures life so much.

“I saw myself in you that day in the fair. You held on to that pole as your lifeline. Even though I was pulling you down, you still kept a tight grip and kept yourself strong. Just like me, head strong against trials. So I thought, you’d be a great prospect.”

“So you sacrificed yourself…”

Summer just shrugged.

“Don’t you regret it? Don’t you regret dying so young?”

Summer shook her head softly. “No, I don’t regret it.”

“because?”

“Because you lived.” She leaned on her chair and rocked it a bit. “I’ve watched you from here since then. You’ve done so well. You achieved so much and I can’t help but be proud. It’s as if I left a legacy on Earth.” Then her face turned grim. “Then ‘THAT’ happened. You’re just as the same age as I am when you slit your wrist right?” Sooyeon’s teary eyes were enough of answer. “It was a punch to my stomach for me. To tell you quite frankly, I got disappointed. I know you could do better, way better than that.”

If there’s one thing that Sooyeon hates in the world more than cucmbers, it’s disappointment. She always sees to it to make everyone happy with everything she does. So when Summer’s words left her lips, tears streamed down the other’s face.

Summer leaned in and wiped her tears. “Don’t cry. Don’t mind me. I’m sorry I expected too much.”

Sooyeon sniffed. “N-no. You’re right. Not everyone’s been given a second chance like me…It’s just that I couldn’t handle it. The people whom I get my strength from betrayed me…who else am I supposed to talk to?”

Summer stood and went to Sooyeon’s side and started rubbing her back. “What are parents for? You’re lucky you have a complete family. I only had my mom by my side.”

Sooyeon reached for the other’s waist and buried her face at Summer’s chest. “Why didn’t you went down and talked to me personally?”

The taller one’s clothes must be drenched right now but she didn’t mind. “As far as I know, a ghost showing up in someone’s room is not good. With me being dressed in white and with long black hair, you’ll be thinking that you’ll be needing an exorcism soon.”

Despite choking on a sob, Sooyeon managed to laugh. “Y-you’re wrong. With you looking like that and with chinky eyes, I’ll be thinking that Sadako’s come to get me.”

Summer ruffled the younger one’s hair. “Cheeky kid.”

“You like me that way…”

“Yeah…rather than that emo one I saw before.” After a few seconds of silence, Sooyeon managed to calm down. “Are you sure you’ll go back?” Summer asked.

“Yes…but in one condition.”

Summer raised a brow. “What is it?”

“Let me stay for a little longer…” Sooyeon looked up to the other.

“Why?”

“I just…I want to…” she swallowed. What should she say? “…to have cups of milk tea with you.”

Summer laughed. “Okay…I guess that’s a valid reason.” Then she grinned causing the other to looked down and hide her face under her fringe- trying to keep her blushing face away from Summer’s eyes.