Waiting Game

Waiting Game

WHAT’S the most important thing that you can give to others? What’s the most valuable thing that you can receive in this world? Fame? Wealth? Respect?

For me, I believe all of those will pass. I believe they won’t even last for so long. You might be rich for now but it won’t really make you happy. You might be in the best stage and being admired by many people but there will be a time that the lights will dim and your value to people will slowly fade. There are a lot of people who seem to have everything but are not really happy with their lives. Those things just won’t satisfy you.

Hm? What is it then?

Well, for me… the most valuable thing that you can give to someone is…

 

“Minjoo, what time is it?” Yujin asked after waking up from her short nap.

“It’s…” I looked at my watch and sighed. “It’s already 6:15.”

“Oh, shoot!” She hurriedly stood up and pulled her cardigan. “Why didn’t you wake me up!?”

I watched her as she hastily fixes herself. “I thought that it would be better for you to sleep longer.”

“But you know I have a practice at 7!” Yujin whined. Her pout is really cute. “You just don’t want me to leave, right?”

I gave her a contained smile. She got me that time. I don’t… really want to see her leave.

“Sorry, Minjoo… I just really have to do this. I promise I will give you a fantastic stage!” She kissed me at the forehead before pulling her backpack. “See you tomorrow at school~ Just wait for the festival! This girl right here will be the star of that day!”

I nodded. “See you tomorrow, Yujin. Thanks for spending time with me.”

“Why do you always have to thank me for my time?” She flashed her wide smile. “Of course, I will give you time! You’re my most important person!” She then ruffled my hair and I caught her hand.

“Go now… Sorry for not waking you up…” I let go of her hand and she waved at me with the same hand. I watched her until she completely disappeared from my sight. I laid down back to my bed and sighed.

That time, I know deep in my heart that I don’t want to see her go. I just want her to stay… But Yujin is a girl filled with dreams and it would be too inconsiderate of me if I will be selfish and force her to stay with me.

She’s aspiring to be an actress and now she is rehearsing as the lead actress of the school’s theater club. She’s so happy and so excited about being the main star especially now that the school have decided to premier the play on the foundation day where a lot of popular and prominent people come. She believes that the said play will be her shot to her dreams.

Yujin always say that I am the reason why she is doing it. She thinks she is reaching her dreams for me, for our future. But if you would ask me… I really would prefer her to stay and just spend the time with me. All I want… is to spend this time with her.

I stood up at the thought that I have to eat dinner. We had afternoon snacks that’s why I am not that hungry but I still have to eat. I thought I would be able to change some things if I live healthily. I exercise regularly, take vitamins and I don’t have any vices at all. But still…

I looked at the mirror not to check how I look but to read the green markings written on my face.

“Two years… and a half, roughly.” I sighed as I converted the hours written under my left eye. Yes, it might be weird but I can see time, people’s lifespan to be exact. I don’t know how… I don’t know why… As far as I can remember, I started seeing these weird marks on people’s face when I was in my last year in grade school. I didn’t know what they are exactly until I witnessed someone dying after the counter turned to zeros. I witnessed the man dying of heart attack with my very own eyes.

As time passed by, I learned to study more of this weird ability. I’ve seen people get their life spans extended after major operations and after started living a healthy lifestyle. But there are those people whose time never gets added. Those are people who have the exact time of their death and I believe I am one of those people.

“I will really die in an accident.” I remember telling myself that time while foolishly smiling at my reflection. I don’t know what the Creator thinks that I was given this ability. It is so stressing to see people fading away each and everyday of your life. You’ll see people with a day left in their lives and you won’t help but to wonder why how they will spend the remaining time without knowing that it would be the last.

I want to give them some of my time too… Have a nice talk about life… Have a good look back at everything that has happened but mine…

Mine is limited, too… Very limited.

I thought of not pursuing college because I know my time would run out and I won’t be able to use the degree in the end but I thought that I should still make my parents proud and attain something even in this short lifespan. I also thought that it would be nice to experience what it feels like to be a university student. I want to live an ordinary life.

Then there’s Yujin, too. The person that taught me how special a single moment can turn into of you’re with the person that is important to you. She made me realize how wonderful every second can be if spent with the right person.

We started dating during our second year in college and when we were in our senior year, Yujin became even more busy because of the that important play. Acting is her passion and I would really love to see her fulfill her dreams. So that’s why… I wasn’t able to say anything during that time.

“Sorry, Minjoo-ya… Just wait a bit more. COSMOS Ent. gave me an invitation to their company! You know how big and popular that company is, right? This is it! We’re finally making it!”

She promised me that she will put our relationship in public after we graduate. She doesn’t want to be kicked out of the club because people of that club still have strict views about relationships like ours. But after the performance, she received an offer to train after a very huge acting company. Well, I knew it even before it happened. There is no way people would know about us and all I can say was…

“It’s fine, Yujin-ah! I am really happy for you! Congratulations~! I believe you will be a big star in the future.”

I don’t know if it was foolish of me or was really heroic. Knowing the amount of time I have left in me, my heart tells that I should’ve thought of myself even more but I also know the fact that our relationship will have a crack if I forced what I want. So… I just… let her go.

I celebrated her first drama debut as a mere cameo until she became one of the supporting leads. There was no doubt that Yujin will become the star that she wanted to be. I was there all along but I can feel her heart slowly distancing from me.

She has forgotten special dates. She even forgot about my birthday. She forgot our anniversary. I was okay with it until she slowly forgets to text me at the very least. There are days without her call… Days without even a single message… Days of me just looking at the timer on my face.

“Minjoo-ya! Guess what! I am casted a lead role in the upcoming spring drama!” I remember how happy she was that time. Her smile reaches her ears and she couldn’t stop giggling. But I wasn’t… I know deep inside me that I don’t really like what is happening between us. I wanted to show her how I am not pleased being treated like a decoration. I despised being treated like a pastime.

But how could I tell her that if she looks that happy? How can I erase that smile on her face? I didn’t want to ruin her moment.

“Congratulations—”

“The first episodes will be taken abroad. I won’t be able to see you for some time but I promise to bring you souvenirs.”

I guess… a month or two of her time would be taken away from me again.

“I don’t really need the souvenirs…” I finally said, my voice even cracked and she looked at me with a very curious face. Hang on there, Minjoo. Hang on there… “I just want you to come home safely.”

I saw the smile back on her face. “I will be back. Don’t worry. I will—”

 

 

 

 

 

 

LIES.

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m really sorry, Minjoo… I didn’t really mean it.”

Yujin came back with her head hanging low. She couldn’t even face me. On my hand were pictures of her sent by her manager that I’ve become friends with. I gripped my phone so hard. I just wish I could erase those pictures from my memory just like how easy it is to remove a file from your phone. Whenever I close my eyes, I can see it… The picture of her making out with one of her co-celebrities.

“I am sorry… I got really drunk at the party and I just really missed you—”

“You got a hotel room booked even before the party began and you are telling me that it was because you were drunk?” I asked her, tears falling down my eyes. “And what? You are telling me that you missed me when you didn’t even give the time to message me at the very least? Please stop lying to me…”

She turned pale. I know I got her that time.

“I-I’m… I’m really sorry…” Tears started rolling down her cheeks. I don’t know if she was being sincere that time or if everything was just part of her acting. “I really regret everything that happened. I already told her that everything was a mistake and we shouldn’t have done that. I am really sorry. I promise it won’t happen again—”

“How many promises have you broken already, Yujin?” I asked as I fell back on the couch. I don’t have anymore strength for fights. I only have five months left. Five months left and this is all I got?

“Minjoo-ya…” Yujin came to hug me but I couldn’t push her away. I love her so much. She’s so precious to me.  “I promise I won’t associate with her again. After this project I will not take any project that involves her again. I promise this won’t happen again anyway.”

 

 

Promises are made to be broken and I’ve proven that very well in my life. Although Yujin didn’t cheat again and focused more on her work, it didn’t matter anymore. There’s no time left for me anyway.

 

 

I guess her cheating is just a help from above so I won’t leave this land worrying about the person that I love if she’s already happy with someone else. And yes, everyone might call me a fool for staying with her. For still waiting for her… For still believing and trusting her. But there’s nothing more that I can do. I want her to remember me as someone who really loved her with everything that I have.

We started going on dates during her free time. She started spending time with me again. It felt like we went back to our college season where she would immediately run to where I am when she gets her time free. It was so nice to see the Yujin that I loved back. It was so nice to have her back in my arms again.

“Minjoo… Can you wait a little longer?”

Again, that question. Yujin-ah… I only have two months left.

“After this project, let’s go travel overseas. Let’s go to Europe for vacation!”

“That will be nice…” I said. “Let’s take lovely pictures.”

“We will fill your phone with our pictures!” She said with such great excitement. “Just two months more!”

I felt my throat dried up.

 

 

 

“Yes… two months more.”

 

 

I remember how long I stared at the mirror that night after we parted. I tried rubbing the timer off of my face but it won’t just go away. I looked at it again and again but the time won’t get any addition. I remember how hard I punched the mirror; I remember the lingering pain the shards brought to me. I remember how hard I mourned for my life…

I cried to the point that the there were no tears coming out of my eyes.

 

 

I’m dying.

 

 

I knew about it long ago, I tried to get by it and continue living. But now that there’s no more time left. There’s no more time left to spend with my favorite person. I will disappear really soon.

 

“Is your hand healing properly?”

Yujin’s face was filled with concern during that certain video call.

“Yes… it’s fine… It has been two weeks since the ‘accident’.” I answered with the usual smile on my face.

“That’s good to know then.” She said. “Sorry, I can’t take care of you. We are rushing things at work and there were scenes that needed retake.”

“It’s fine, Yujin-ah… Don’t worry about me.”

“You look really tired…” The worry on her face can’t be erased so I gave her soft chuckles.

“I marathoned one drama series last night.” I lied. All I did was cry the whole night.

“Sleep on time, Minjoo!” She pouted. “Anyway, I’ll be back at work. I will leave a message once I am done. Sleep early tonight, okay? I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Oh, it would be nice if I could spend eternity with her and tell her those words everyday. How nice would it be…?

 

 

 

I FINISHED sending gifts to my parents and to my friends when I went back to the sofa and lazily threw myself. I’m glad that they will live longer but hey… It’s my last day—I mean, last three hours.

I the TV to watch the awards. It’s the time of year… The time that Yujin has been waiting for. She is nominated for the best female lead at her second year of acting. She already bagged the rookie actress of the year last year and she already gone this far.

I asked her if I could come, just to see her during the final moments of my life but she insisted me not to come. Again, she told me to wait and she will come to me. Classic Yujin.

A few more time left…

Halfway during the program, I started smelling faint smell of gas and I already felt trouble because of it. I checked everything but my gas is off and there’s no sign of leaks at all. Then I felt like a fool. Even if I found the source of it, I am still going to die. So, I went back in front of the television and saw that it was announced that Yujin is the best female lead of the year.

I hurriedly picked up my phone and sent the message that I have prepared for her. I know that would be the last so I wrote everything that I wanted to say. I’m just so happy for her because she really became a star. All her hardworks paid off. All the time she used for lessons and rehearsals paid off. She has achieved her dream. I can die happily.

 

Sorry, Yujin-ah…

 

“Congratula—”

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

“HURRY UP!”

Yujin told her manager. She couldn’t contain her excitement. She has her trophy on her right hand while she’s holding the box that has the ring that she will give to Minjoo later.

“Don’t be in such a hurry…” The manager said. “I know you can’t wait to propose to her but the traffic situation is so severe! I heard there was a gas explosion somewhere.”

“How can I not be impatient?” Yujin asked with a wide smile on her face. “Minjoo has waited for me all these years! She has been with me through it all! Even at the worst points of my life! She didn’t ever leave me. She’s been waiting for me!”

“I know, I know! I am amused that she still accepted you after you cheat on her.”

“Stop bringing the past back!” Yujin laughed. “With that I realized how much I really loved her, I cannot afford to lose her! She spent all these years waiting and cheering for me! It would be stupid of me to make her wait longer!”

“I know, I know. Your acceptance speech was obviously all about Minjoo.”

Yujin and her manager immediately rode the car but even coming out of the parking lot was trouble since a lot of cars are going out as well. She took her phone out and dialed Minjoo’s number to check if she’s still awake. She believes she’s awake since she knows she would be watching the award but her phone is strangely unreachable.

The actress then opened up her messages just to see if Minjoo texted goodnight but what she saw is something else.

 

“Yujin-ah…

Congratulations! You are hailed as the best female lead of this year! I’m so glad that you reached your dreams! The word proud is an understatement. I’m really glad of what you have become now. I want to tell everyone that my girlfriend is the best actress of the year but I know that I can’t do that, right?”

Yujin felt her heart clenched but it gripped harder with the following messages.

“I know this would be a bit surprising but you might not be able to see me after reading this message.

 

 

I’m sorry…

 

 

I don’t think I can wait much longer than this…

 

 

I’m sorry…

 

 

I want to stay longer… I want to see your face everytime I wake up in the morning. I want it to be the last thing that I would see when I sleep at night. I want to be with you forever… But it won’t be the case.

 

 

I’m really sorry, Yujin. My time is so limited… I can only wait up to here.”

 

“M-Minjoo…” Tears started rolling down Yujin’s eyes.

 

“If you won’t find me after this, it means that the time is up. I want to thank you for every time that you spent me. All of them were magical. I will never forget them.”

 

“N-No… Minjoo…”

 

“It was fun… Thank you for everything. I love you, Yujin-ah.

 

 

 

 

 

And here… the waiting game ends…”

 

 

-END-

 


 

Hi, everyone!

Somehow I am in the mood to write some angst. XD

I didn't give much information to it because it's just oneshot. Don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

This story has been bugging me the whole day. It's not because my waiting game for IZONE is also going to end. I am telling you ahead in case you misunderstand me. XD There are things that won't stop bugging me until I get it out of my head and turn it into words. XD

 

Thanks for reading~ Please add the hashtag #WaitingGame_JinJoo if you will tweet about it. XD

 

Let's continue waiting for IZONE then~! 

 

Cut