Chapter III

In the Shadows

It took Yerin a couple of more tries to make absolutely sure she would not endanger any of her members. Yewon watched her appearing and disappearing multiple times in different locations. Her mind, however, was somewhere else. She still could not get over the fact that she was able to fly.

She could fly.

Hugging herself, she shook her head. She did not understand. First SinB hearing her thoughts, then Sojung healing her wounds, and now Yerin’s teleporting… and apparently her own flying. What was going on? It went against everything she had learned in life. It should not be possible.

Yet, here she was.

And those were not her only problems. Yewon stared into the fire. She had so many questions.

They had been left to die. It was difficult to wrap her head around it. They had been inside the burning car. If it hadn’t been for their mysterious powers, they would have burned alive. Instead of helping, the ones responsible for the accident had disappeared. They had saved themselves. They had not even tried to get them out of the car.

What would have happened if it hadn’t been for Sojung? What would have happened to Eunha and Yerin if it hadn’t been for Yerin’s powers?

They all would have died a painful death.

At first, she had not wanted to believe the hard truth. She had hoped that the drivers would come back, that they had called for help, but… SinB seemed to be right. The thought made her feel cold. She liked to assume the best in people. She had been extra nice to them because of their hard work. And they had not even bothered to check on them. They had not tried to help them out of the car wrecks.

What kind of people did that? What had they done to them to deserve such fate?

A lump formed in and she blinked away the tears that were forming in her eyes. 

“How did this happen exactly?” She tried to keep her voice from shaking but failed miserably. SinB, Yuna, Eunha and Sojung looked at her. “The accident? I was… I was asleep. When I woke up…”

When she had woken up, she had been in a world of pain. Unable to speak, unable to move. It was a cold darkness - until SinB had somehow heard her internal pleas for help.

SinB frowned. “It happened so fast. One second I was looking at my phone and the next… I only know that we hit the other car. And then… somehow we ended up on our roof…”

“We were going too fast, just as SinB overheard.” Sojung pressed her lips together. She was silent for a few seconds, seemingly lost in memories. “Before we left, the drivers said we had to hurry for our next schedule. I asked them to be careful, but… he lost control over the car. He hit the breaks and then… I… I only remember screaming… and then I woke up in the snow.”

The drivers. It seemed that no one was willing to mention their names. Or mention that they were in fact not only their drivers, but their trusted managers. Albeit two new ones, yet they had trusted them regardless. Yewon grimaced at the thought. They had trusted them.

“In the…” SinB frowned and glanced at the first car. “How did you get out?”

“Maybe the driver pulled her out,” Eunha suggested.

“Impossible. It’s a wonder that the driver managed to get out on his own.” SinB walked over to the car and pointed at the crumpled piece of metal. “I mean, see? There’s no way that… that…”

SinB broke off, staring at the car with an expression of shocked awe. 

“What is it?”

Unable to fight her curiosity, Yewon walked up next to SinB. She looked at the first car. Nausea spread through her body. It was truly a miracle that anyone made it out alive. Although, according to Yerin, she had indeed died…

A shiver ran down her spine and she put her arms around herself.

“The window…” SinB slowly walked around the car to the front. Then she moved back to the passenger side. She took in a sharp breath. “The seat belt is torn.”

Yewon blinked. She glanced from the destroyed windshield to the torn seat belt that SinB was now holding in her hands. Then she looked back to the windshield. The most damage was in front of the passenger seat. It looked as if…

Her head whirled around to Sojung.

“You don’t mean…?”

SinB nodded. “Unnie… I think you flew out of the window. No one pulled you out.”

Yewon winced. “Thank God for your healing powers. I cannot imagine the injuries…”

“A seat belt shouldn’t tear like that,” Eunha muttered, shifting from one foot to the other. “And nothing happened to the drivers? They both crashed, didn’t get a scratch on them and could just walk away?”

“Looks like it.”

“Maybe they’re hurt too? Maybe they’re… I don’t know… lying around somewhere? Should we… should we look for them?”

Yerin suddenly appeared in front of them. “Well, I can tell you that they’re not anywhere near us. I would have seen them.”

“And we’re definitely not going to look for them.” SinB grimaced. “I’m sorry, but… I guess you can say that I’m a little bit resentful for them leaving us in those death traps.” 

“No one is holding that against you.” Sojung scoffed. “They never should have driven so fast. Black ice or not.”

“Well, I guess, they knew that. They did not leave just because. They didn’t want to be held accountable for the accident. It wouldn’t surprise me, if we never saw them again.”

“Anyways,” Yerin clapped her hands, “I don’t know about you guys, but I would leave this behind as well. I think we can discuss everything back in the apartment. So, you only need to hold onto me and I can get us back home. Preferably our floor. I can picture that apartment more clearly than yours.”

Sojung nodded. “Sounds reasonable. At this time there should be no one around. We can appear without anyone noticing.”

“Unnie? What do we say when… when they ask us how we got back?” Yewon asked quietly. “They know… they know we couldn’t have just… made it out on our own and back here with no injury whatsoever. They saw the state we were in. And someone will find the cars.”

Sojung bit her lip as she seemed to contemplate her words. “We will have to think of something. If those two won’t show up again, nobody can actually say what kind of injuries we received during the crash. We could have been lucky. But first, we need to get out of the cold. And away from here. I don’t know how my healing powers work precisely and I don’t want to find out if I can cure someone from frostbite.”

“Th-thank G-God,” Eunha mumbled, shivered violently. She was now clinging onto Yuna.

SinB raised an eyebrow at Eunha. “I guess your power doesn’t include warming people.”

“I d-don’t ha-have a power.”

“I told you, it would not make any sense if you didn’t have one. Same goes for Yuju-Unnie.”

“I wish my power has something to do with directions.” Yuju sighed. “It would be amazing.”

“At least you’re not the one flying around. Getting lost in the air would probably be worse.”

“Not necessarily. It could help you find the way.”

“True.”

“Guys?!” Everyone stopped what they were doing and turned to Eunha who was staring at the first car. “Is that smoke?”

“Oh shi-”

A flame erupted from the wreck. Acting upon instinct, Yewon grabbed SinB who was closest to her and therefore also to the car. She remembered how quickly the second car had blown up. They needed to be far away from this.

She did not quite know how she was doing it, but with a quick yank, she pulled SinB up and they flew quickly into the air. A few seconds later, the car exploded.

She glanced back down, searching the ground for the other members, and found them a few meters away down the road. It seemed like Yerin had done her thing and teleported them away from the danger.

“This… this is AWESOME!” SinB yelled. Yewon glanced at her friend and was surprised to see a huge smile on her face. “I feel weightless! This is way better than bungee or paragliding!”

“The car literally exploded and you’re…?!”

“Oh please, Yewon-ah. Between you, Yerin-Unnie and Sojung-Unnie we had it covered. How fast can you go? Wanna try? You really need to take me on rides! We should probably wear some warm clothes, though.”

Yewon took a deep breath before concentrating on the ground. Slowly, they sank and drifted towards the others. 

“Is everyone okay?” Sojung gave them all a once-over. “Anyone hurt?”

“I’m not okay.” Eunha pouted, looking forlornly at the now burning car. “My tablet was in there. What about my games? What about my farm?”

“I cannot believe you’re actually more concerned about your games than -”

“I spent hours upon hours on building everything up!”

Yerin cleared . “Guys, we should go. As I only just found out, it seems to be okay when we all hold hands and I can teleport us wherever. You don’t all need to touch me.”

SinB raised her eyebrows. “Why do you sound so disappointed about that?”

“I-I’m not.”

SinB furrowed her brow. A second later, she grimaced and started to blush slightly. “Oh my God, Unnie! Are you serious?”

“Get out of my head!”

“I didn’t mean to!”

“Yah!” Sojung glared at each of them and waited until everyone was quiet. “Stop bickering, we need to leave. Everyone, form a circle and hold hands. On my count. One - two - three!"