Chapter I

In the Shadows

In hindsight, driving in the middle of the night on icy roads had not been a good idea. Kim Sojung had known this. She had argued against it. However, in the end the decision had been made regardless of her objections. Accepting her defeat, she had tried to ignore the bad feeling in her stomach and simply asked the drivers to be extra careful.

Sadly, there were only so many things that one could do against black ice.

When Sojung regained consciousness, the first thing she felt was the coldness. It seemed to be everywhere. It was surrounding her; it was inside of her. Everything was cold. She was definitely not inside the car anymore.

Groaning, she lifted her head and opened her eyes. Around her everything was white. She was lying in the snow. It certainly explained why it was so cold, but why was she not inside the car anymore? Why was she lying on the side of the road? And where was the car?

Sojung carefully sat up, ignoring the dull ache from her head. The snow reflected the moonlight above her – the only light she had. Her breath turned into white clouds of mist when it left . For how long had she been lying there? She looked around and spotted something a few meters away on the road. Was that piece of crumpled metal their car? A shiver ran down her spine. However, this had nothing to do with the freezing temperatures. How was she not dead?

Oh God, and where were the girls?

“Yerin-ah?! Eunha-ya?!”

The silence that answered her call was excruciating. Her heart plummeted in her chest and her breathing quickened. 

“YERIN! EUNBI!” Sojung screeched at the unformed piece of metal, her voice cracking. She shakily stood up and stumbled over to the car. A couple of times she fell on the icy road, but she paid it no mind. Her thoughts were only on the girls. They had to be alright. They just had to be.

She found Yerin still in her seat. Her head was leaning against the frame of the splintered window of the backseat door. Her face was as white as the snow, her eyes closed as if she was only sleeping. God, she hoped she was only sleeping. Sojung’s hand trembled as she reached out to touch her. Yerin’s skin was as cold as ice. Was she breathing? Was there a pulse?

“Yerin-ah? Yerin-ah, can you hear me? You have to open your eyes, Yerin-ah…” Sojung trailed off as her eyes focused on the spot next to Yerin; on the small form of Eunha. She could not see her face; it was covered by her hair… but what were those dark splots on her clothes? Was that… blood?

“Oh God, no… please no…” Sojung took in a deep breath and pulled the door with all of her strength, but it did not open. Of course it did not. The car was totaled. The doors were stuck. She needed help. She needed to call for help. Where was her cellphone?

She turned to the passenger seat, only to stop in her actions as she saw the empty driver seat. Where was the driver? And why was his door open? Had he managed to get out? Was he getting help? Had he pulled her out? Was that why she was lying a couple meters away from the car?

She shook her head. She could not waste her time on this, she had to hope that help was already on the way to wherever they were right now. She needed to get the girls out of the car before –

Sojung stopped short. They had not been alone on the road. Surely their second car behind them had seen the accident? They would have stopped, wouldn’t they? Unless…

She slowly turned around, afraid to look for the very thing she was almost sure she would find there. Her stomach dropped as she noticed a different pair of tire tracks leading into the direction of the trees on the side. Behind a few bushes the second car was lying on its roof.

“Oh my God, no,” Sojung groaned in despair and ran over to the other car as well. “SINB-YAH! YUNA-YAH! YEWON-AH! Please be alright, please be alright!”

The other driver seat was empty as well, but she paid this no mind for now. She reached SinB first. The younger girl was in the passenger seat, hanging upside down from the seat belt. The pained expression on her face gave Sojung a spark of hope. She seemed to be conscious. “Eunbi-ya? Are you awake? Can you hear me?”

SinB let out a small whimper that broke Sojung’s heart in two. “Un-Unnie…?”

“Unnie’s here. You’ll be alright, do you hear me? It’ll be okay.” Sojung pulled at the door and a stone fell from her chest as the door opened without much problem. “Can you tell Unnie where it hurts?”

“Head…” SinB mumbled, slowly opening her eyes. “Belly… Unnie, I… I can’t feel my legs…”

Sojung schooled her face and tried to keep the tears out of her eyes as a lump formed in . “I’ll open the seatbelt now and pull you out, okay?”

“Unnie, my legs…?”

“It’ll be alright,” she shushed her, glancing worriedly at the car. Was it just her mind playing tricks on her or did it smell like gas? “Just a moment, I’ll get you out of there. Help is coming.”

Sojung pulled SinB out of the car as carefully as she could. She knew it was risky to move someone after an accident like this, but what choices did she have? If the car blew up, they would all be dead. 

When she laid SinB on the ground, Sojung forced herself not to gasp or show any signs of shock she felt. One of her legs was in a weird angle. There was no way SinB could not feel the pain unless… was she…? Oh God, she could not be paralyzed, could she?

“No,” SinB muttered, shaking her head, “no, no, no. Don’t say that.”

She frowned in confusion. Had she just said this out loud? Or were her injuries even more extensive than she thought? Was it not bad enough that SinB – one of their most beagle members, their main dancer – might never walk again?

“No, Unnie, don’t say that,” SinB muttered feverishly and took her hand.

The second their hands touched, it was as if an electric shock went through her body. Images flashed through Sojung’s mind. They went by as fast as lightning and should have been too fast for Sojung to process, yet when the flood stopped, she somehow knew exactly what was wrong. And she knew exactly how to fix it.

The worst injury was the heavy internal bleeding in the abdomen, it would cause SinB to pass out in approximate five minutes and eventually cause her to bleed out from the inside. It was followed by the severe damage of her spinal cord which – should SinB somehow survive the bleeding in her abdomen – caused paralysis from the waist down and would never allow SinB to walk ever again. The leg was broken in two places and Sojung knew she had multiple bruises and lacerations all over her body.

With a start, she pulled her hand away and stared at it in shock. How did she suddenly know all of this? But she brushed it off, she had to do something about the bleeding. It needed to be stopped. She needed to act. And she needed to act fast. There were no sirens in the distance. The drivers were missing. And she had no time to look for their phones.

Desperately, she went with her intuition and laid her hand on SinB’s forehead. SinB looked at her with a confused yet awed expression. “You’ll be okay. Unnie is here. You’ll be okay.”

Tears clouded her vision and she shut her eyes as she remembered Yerin and Eunha’s still forms. She needed to save them all. They couldn’t… they couldn’t die.

SinB let out a sharp breath before she quickly sat up, almost bumping her head with Sojung. “What… how…? What did you do?”

“What do you –” Sojung looked at SinB, only to let out a strangled gasp. SinB was… standing up? It had… worked? She gave her a quick once-over, but there were signs of injury anymore. “What in the world?!”

SinB did not listen to her anymore. She sharply turned her head around and stared inside the car before she quickly walked over to the backseat. “Yewon? Yewon-ah, I’m here! Sojung-unnie is here too, she’ll help you! Yuju-unnie? Can you hear me?”

Sojung watched SinB with an opened mouth, unable to make sense of what she was seeing. There were no signs anymore that SinB had ever been injured. How was that possible? Was this a dream? It felt too real to be a dream…

“Unnie! This is not the time to dwell on this, the girls need our help! They need… you need to do what you did to me!”

“I don’t know what I did.” Sojung looked at her hands. “I don’t know… I just…”

“Look, Unnie, I don’t care, we can talk about this later, but please, for the love of God, just… just try!” SinB pulled Yewon out of the car and quickly checked her pulse before nodding and turning towards Yuna. “Yes, I know, I’ll go to her now. I’ll get her out too. Don’t worry.”

Sojung frowned at the girl. “To whom are you talking to?”

“STOP ASKING ALL THESE QUESTIONS AND HELP THEM!”

“Right. You’re right. Of course.”

She knelt next to Yewon and looked at her pale face before she hesitantly laid a hand on her forehead as well. Just like before, images flashed through her mind and as fast as they had come, it all stopped. Taking a deep breath, Sojung shook her head. She did not know what was happening to her, but whatever it was, it gave her the unnatural power to help the most important people in her life. She was not going to deny any help she got at this point.

She closed her eyes and concentrated on Yewon’s injuries. Then she laid her hand on her forehead again and let the wish consume her to heal each and every one of them. The gasp that left Yewon’s mouth told her that it had worked again. How, she did not know, but SinB was right. This was not the moment to ponder on it.

After they had pulled Yuna out of the wreck and healed her, they ran over to the other car, only to stop short. Yerin was kneeling outside of the car with Eunha lying unconsciously with her head in Yerin’s lap.

“Yerin-ah, how did you...? That’s impossible,” Sojung whispered as she stared at the two of them. There was no sign of injury on Yerin either, but then she remembered that she had laid her hand on Yerin’s cheek as well. Had she revived her? No, that was impossible, wasn’t it?

Yewon and Yuna stared in shock at the totaled car as Sojung knelt down next to Eunha.

“How did you get out of there?!” Yewon exclaimed. “The doors are…”

“Teleport?” SinB asked incredulously. “Are you sure, Unnie?”

“I… did I say that out loud?” Yerin asked unsurely, keeping a watchful eye on Sojung and Eunha. “What is she…?”

Yewon shook her head. “I think SinB can – as crazy as this sounds – read our minds?”

“She can what?” Yerin asked only to be interrupted by a coughing Eunha. “Oh my God, Eunha!”

“And Sojung-Unnie can heal people,” SinB added. “We can talk about this later. We need to get out of here.”

“I don’t understand…”

“Says the one who teleported herself and Eunha-Unnie out of the car.”

Yerin stared open-mouthed at SinB. “This is so freaky…”

Eunha groggily sat up, looking from one to the other. “What… what happened? There was… I remember a flash? And what… teleport?”

Sojung interrupted them. “Where are the drivers? I thought they would get help, but this is making no sense.”

SinB snorted bitterly. “Isn’t it obvious? They left us to die.”

“Yah! Hwang Eunbi, don’t say things like that!”

“It’s true, I heard them.” SinB stoically met her eyes. “They saw how badly injured we were and ran. They were scared. One of them said they drive too fast and that they shouldn’t have done it. They thought we were dying, so they fled to save their own asses. And at least they know where we are because I have no ing clue. We’re in the middle of nowhere. It will take ages for someone to find us. And it’s freezing.”

“But…” Sojung trailed off. She could not believe this. No, they could not have done this to them.

“Believe me, they did.”

Sojung closed her eyes. “Can you… can you stop reading my mind, please?”

“I can’t control it! What is this anyway?” SinB eyed Yewon, Yuna and Eunha with a calculating look. “And are we the only ones with those… powers or do you three have them too?”

The three girls glanced at each other and shrugged.

“I… I really don’t know. I’m not even sure any of this is real.” Sojung ran a hand through her hair and looked at the girls. While there were still some blood stains on their clothes, everyone looked unharmed. It should not have been possible. “Is everyone okay?”

“Never been better,” SinB answered and rolled her shoulders. “Even the ache in my shoulder is gone. Do you think…?”

“I don’t know,” Sojung mumbled, frowning at herself. “Does anyone have their cellphones – “

Before she could finish the sentence Eunha and Yerin gasped loudly and stared wide-eyed at something behind her. When Sojung turned around, she saw what had frightened them. Small flames had erupted from the second car.

“This is… not good.”

Cautiously, they put some distance between them and the cars. Not long after the fire had started, the second car exploded with a loud bang.

“Well,” SinB muttered, “I guess we got out just in time. Do we want to wait for someone to notice the fire or can we go home?”

“Go home?” Eunha repeated incredulously. “We don’t even know where we are! All of our stuff was inside those cars, we would freeze to death before we make it to a village or the next city!”

SinB nodded her head towards Yerin. “Unnie can teleport us straight into our apartment. If she can do it with you, she can do it with the rest of us too.”

Yerin blinked. “You’re accepting these… unnatural things we can do way too fast, you know? 

“Sojung-Unnie saved all of our lives thanks to those unnatural things, so you can bet your that I embrace them.” SinB shrugged. “What do you say, do you think you can do it?”

“I don’t know… I don’t even know how I did it the first time.”

“No time like the present to find out! We have nothing better to do anyway.”