Meaning of Home. (Finale)

Meaning of Home.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s been few days since Hyewon was back yet she won’t ever be used to this small city. Yes she grew up there, lived 18 years of her life in this town and leaved at her first occasion...  leaving behind her somewhat family and more importantly her friends. When she was away doing her doctorate she surely missed someone and so consequently she missed her hometown. It took 3 years to study the theoretical aspects of medicine after that she had to choose a hospital to do her internship. Strangely she suddenly recalled the small yet familiar hospital in the middle of Fallen Wood. Without knowing she applied there, signing her comeback home. She did go back once in a while to visit her aunt and uncle but it was usually during Christmas break and her friends weren’t  often in town at the time so she would usually just stay 2 days and go back to the capital to study upcoming exams. 


Now officially back she walked down the street on her way to Fallen Wood Hospital or FWH when she felt a buzz in her pocket followed by a ‘ding’. She took out the device and laugh at the messages.

 

Yenduck: Let’s meet at Enozi cafe later !!

Kurra: No

Minguri: What did you do Duckie ~

Yenduck: what !! Nothing !

Naknak: she made Kurra lose a game by making out with Yul instead of covering her back and got killed because of that

Joyul:   °////°

Yenduck : is it even my fault then !! When I wanna play, Kurra is always clinging to Chaeyeon so I have to play alone since Kwangbae is too focused in her studies

Yupup : if you asked I could play with you 

Yenduck: focus on your study you kid and let the adults talk

Yupup: Yah!

Minguri : I could play if you want

Kurra : No

Yenduck: No 

Yupup : No

SsamChae: Why so loud It’s only 8am.

Minguri: go back to sleep then

SsamChae: only if you do too

Yenduck: ewww

Kurra: ewww x2

Yupup: EWWW x3

Naknak : ewwwwwww

Bangtomi: why so loud In the morning 

Naknak : nothing come on let’s go to sleep too

Bangtomi : ok

SsamChae: no one ‘ewww’-ed now uh 

KwonBunny : they are cute let them be

SsamChae: are you saying I’m not 

Minguri : you’re cute Chae

SsamChae: ok :)

Yenduck : ew   whatever so let’s meet tonight 7pm 

JangBunny: yeah and let’s crash at Kwangbae’s as a pay back when y’all get drunk

Kwangbae : I legit breathed

LeeFeather: You breathed on the other side of the country for 3 years ...

Kwangbae: touché 

 

 


Hyewon laughed at her friends antics but they were right... she didn’t see them much and she had to at least make up for them. Plus it was new year eve and she’s pretty sure they are planning some funny business. She did give a spare key of her house to Chaeyeon for her to use since her house was closer to her dance studio in case she was too tired to go back home herself ... plus knowing Chaeyeon she did keep the house clean when she was away. That was proven many times when she went back to the city to find her house sparkling clean... not even a single dust here and there. She also gave Eunbi a spare key but that was more recently so she could actually come to her house and wait for her there instead of waiting at the hospital for her to finish. She was now also dating Eunbi... now that she thinks of it her friends aren’t aware of it yet... 

Well she also recently learned few things... Minjoo and Chaewon are finally together after years of crushing on one another to the misfortune of their friends sanity... even when she was still here, Chaewon and Minjoo’s not so discreet flirting was a sore to the eye... not specifically the flirting itself but more the fact that they were oblivious of their feelings. Yena told her that she basically had a mental breakdown when after 6 years of seeing them still annoyingly in love with one another without knowing, and for the sake of hers and everyone’s sanity she and the others locked them in her bathroom (not forgetting to leave few snacks in case they were hungry and some bottles of water even tho Yujin said it was stupid since they were in the bathroom) they found them the next day cuddling in the bathtub with some not subtile mark on their necks and obvious disheveled look... conclusion Yena didn’t use her bathroom for months even if she had disinfected it three times... oh and Chaewon finally asked Minjoo to be her girlfriend but that’s not the point. The point is ... Yena’s bathroom is now a radioactive zone. 


Moreover Sakura and Chaeyeon are still together ... not big story, Chaeyeon met Sakura in high school and they both were madly in love since then... she would never forget how Chaeyeon (her childhood friend) walked straight into a pole when she made eye contact for the first time with the new exchange student. 


Yena and Yuri are still gross with each other... sometimes Hyewon wonders how Yena could be with Yuri, and even more, how could Yuri be so in love with that stupid duck. They are now living together and they opened a cafe next to their apartment... the so called Enozi Cafe.

Wonyoung and Yujin were both attending Fallen University... well Hyewon do think of Fallen as a small city, but in reality it’s not that small, in fact it is pretty huge. Her and her friends, all are from Fallen Woods, but passing across the woods, is a pretty big city and it is the equivalent of the capital but well... Fallen Woods still is a small town lost in the middle of the woods. Anyway she never had a liking for Fallen and she means all of it. Plus ironically, FWH is the best hospital in all Fallen, yet she hates working in this hospital. Back to the point, The two youngest of the group got an apartment in Fallen Creek, which is next to their University but is far from Fallen Woods... about 2 hours of train. So they aren’t really living close by anymore. However It doesn’t stop them from coming back to hang out regularly with the gang. 


Nako and Hitomi work with Yena in the Enozi cafe because that duckie doesn’t know how to even make a coffee, instead Yena is more likely to serve clients while Yuri would sometimes sing at night to entertain the customers. 

Eunbi is also still studying, she is in her last year of law studies, being the oldest and all... well attorney Eunbi does sounds good. She live next to the train station so she doesn’t mind the 2 hours of train every day... she’s not normal. But to be fair she sometimes stay at Wonyoung and Yujin’s apartment when she’s too lazy or tired to come back. 


She was so deep in thoughts that she completely forgot that she was supposed to be working with some patients right now. She quickly put on her white coat and went to search for her supervisor. "Dr Bae !" She called out the familiar doctor when she saw her walking in the hallway. "Oh Hyewon-ah !" The latter answered a bit too loud making few heads turn their way. Once she catches up with the oldest she quickly inquired "Hey don’t be too familiar with me we’re here to work." said Hyewon quite shyly. "Don’t worry, I’m the head of the department here plus it’s new year eve, no one is here apart from few doctors... it’s not like they would care in first place" shrugged the oldest.

She knew Bae Joohyun because she is Eunbi’s cousin to which no one really believed at first since both of them look so much alike it was almost terrifying... not to mention that everyone think they’re twins. 

Sakura almost fainted when she met Joohyun thinking she was Eunbi and went crazy when she saw her with Hyewon’s own cousin claiming that Eunbi was ‘cheating’ on Hyewon with Seulgi.

Turns out that Joohyun was Seulgi’s girlfriend and they both met at their University until they both moved to Fallen, Seulgi’s hometown, when Joohyun started her internship in FWH. Seulgi was a dance major now and with Chaeyeon they teach at the town’s renowned dance studio. Funny enough both Eunbi and Joohyun were good in dancing... and both had pretty face. While Hyewon and Seulgi look nothing alike apart from their family name. When Seulgi was slacking in studies Hyewon was pretty good at it and while Seulgi is a naturally gifted dancer Hyewon although trying and practicing a lot still couldn’t define herself as a dancer. 

Seulgi is pretty close to Hyewon’s friends and so when Sakura saw Joohyun she didn’t knew what to think... now that it’s easier to differentiate the two Sakura immediately said that she preferred Joohyun just to tease the latter earning herself a punch from Eunbi and another from the jealous bear... Joohyun, being the kind heart she was, took Sakura’s defense. Since that day Sakura developed a strange obsession with Joohyun making both Chaeyeon and Seulgi extremely jealous.

But that’s another story. 


"Hyewon-ha, did you plan something for tonight..? I heard from Sakura that they‘re going to party." Asked Joohyun while reading few papers. "Actually they planned it... not me .. why ?" Replied Hyewon checking intendance at the lobby. "Seul wanted to spend some time with you since it’s been three years since you both last hang out... she also said she wanted to visit uncle and auntie with you." Answered the oldest keeping her eyes on the papers while mumbling some thoughts out loud. 

Hyewon froze at the answer... she haven’t thought of it but now she does... it’s been a while since she last saw her parents. "Tachycardia ... well for her age it’s pretty rare..." continued the oldest not actually hoping for an answer. 


"Hyewon-ah can you check patient room 241... oh and by the way, your shift will end at 12, Seul will fetch you." Said Joohyun finally looking up from her papers while handing a file to the unmoving intern.


She nodded and went toward the said room still thinking. 


The patient was a small girl, 9 years old, with some cardiac issues, she has no sign of cancer or any apparent disease ,yet, she fainted during one of her sport training while having trouble breathing. She was only diagnosed with a slight tachycardia during efforts and some respiratory troubles still not identified. Normally if young patients aren’t diagnosed with genetic heart problem nor have apparent heart disease, this type of tachycardia doesn’t appear. The only possibility then it’s for the child to be born with this tachycardia which is rare but it’s better to be sure of it first. 

The little girl was sat on her hospital bed presumably bored... "hey ..." greeted Hyewon while entering the room. "Hello" politely answered the kid.


Hyewon went to sit next to the kid..."how are you feeling ?" She asked. "I’m bored and I wanna move from here... " answered the kid playing with her fingers. "Why ?" Asked Hyewon looking in the kid’s eye. "Because... I wanna walk and breath some fresh air or go and play with my friends... but the doctor said that I shouldn’t do sport for a while and since it’s cold outside to not stay too long in the garden..." replied the kid with a pout. "Well... what do you think of walking a bit with me outside.?" Asked Hyewon... in reality she also wanted to go get some fresh air.


After texting Joohyun that she’s taking the kid outside, they found themselves on one of the hospital garden’s bench while drinking some hot chocolate they took from the cafeteria. "It’s nice." Said the kid taking a sip from her cup. "It is" replied to soon to be doctor. 


It was a comforting silence, the air, the rustling of the near woods, the grey sky and the reassuring freshness of the chill winter. She received a text from Seulgi, breaking the trance that she fell in.


Seulbear: I’m coming in 30 minutes, be ready. 

Hyebot : that means 1:30 hour since you’ll make out with Hyun.

Seulbear : Witty as always.

Hyebot : you are disgustingly cute with her ngl

Seulbear : I mean I’m sure you know what it feels to be with a goddess ;)

Hyebot : Maybe ;)


"Who is it ?" Asked the curious kid. "My cousin..." replied Hyewon putting her phone back in her pocket. "Oh, I haven't  seen my cousins for 2 years..." said the kid sorrowfully. "Why is that ?" Inquired the older " They all live in another country " answered the kid with a small smile. They talked a little, filling their lungs with the pure air they both needed.

"Come on let’s go back... " told Hyewon to the kid who just nodded in agreement. 

 

Hyewon took the girl’s vitals before saying goodbye to the kid. She bumped into Joy, Joohyun’s friend and one of the nurse of the hospital. "Oh were you with that kid ?" Demand Joy with a surprised look, Hyewon just nodded in response. "You’re still alive ?! I swear that kid is a monster... and you know how I normally like children."Said Joy in disbelief. "You know, she’s pretty polite and calm" told Hyewon amused. Joy just shook her head and said that she is lucky before parting ways.

 

She went to change her clothes, basically putting her coat in her locker, and made her way out. She went to Joohyun’s office to say goodbye only to barge in a not so pleasant sight. Both her cousin and Joohyun pushed each other catching their breath. Seulgi threw a sheepish smile at her cousin only earning a disgusted look from the latter. "You know, for Christmas I really should have given you that sign from that shop with ‘do not disturb I’m making out’ " said Hyewon, only causing the oldest of the three to blush while her cousin laughed at the joke. "It sure would have been really useful, no one would interrupt us anymore with that." added Seulgi. "I swear you Kangs are annoying sometimes, plus please talk to me more formally Hyewon, we’re at our work place" said a flustered Joohyun. 

"Don’t worry, I’m the head of the department here plus it’s new year eve, no one is here apart from few doctors... it’s not like they would care in first place" she spat the older’s words from few hours ago while trying to imitate her voice which made Seulgi laugh even louder. "Plus I’m not working anymore." Added Hyewon showing her casual clothes. 


After a brief chitchat the two cousins made their way to the parking lot. "It’s been a while..." sighed Seulgi while starting the engine. "So, you and Eunbi .?" Asked The oldest not wasting time "we’re good" simply replied the girl a bit shyly. "Sure sure. I know you, you’ve been crushing on her since you two met which is even longer than the 2 Kims... what happened to the ‘when I’m back I’ll make her mine’ " said Seulgi focused on the road but still managing to cousin. Not hearing an answer she continued "if it’s not you, it’s Eunbi then. You know I spent plenty of time with her and I assure you that she’s as whipped as you are, so what are you both waiting for" 


"There’s nothing to wait anymore" mumbled Hyewon embarrassed... although it was only

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter