Chapter 3

My Mother Is Kim Taeyeon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun created her YouTube channel around a year and a half ago, so she was about 15...16? She really can’t remember the date her first video was published. Her first video was a dance cover of Sunmi's hit song ‘Gashina’. Sunmi posted her cover on Instagram unaware of who Joohyun was and she immediately gained lots of support. People commented on the video suggesting she should film more dance covers because she’s a good dancer and so she did.

 

Joohyun being a ‘good dancer’ is an understatement. No, Joohyun is an amazing dancer. You can thank those years of living with Korea’s most successful girl group during her childhood. She wasn’t forced to dance. No, but with the closest people you’d call family continuously dance around you, you pick up a few moves. 

 

SNSD would often see a little Joohyun trying to learn their choreography through the mirror, at the back of the practice room. When it was break time and some of the members wanted extra practice they’d teach Joohyun little moves and she’d always have the biggest smile on her face.

 

They were practicing the choreography for ‘I got a boy’ and Joohyun was trying so hard to be a  good girl and sit still while waiting for lunch time.

 

“Let’s go! Keep going. Good work girls” SNSD’s dance instructor praised.

 

‘I got a boy meotjin! I got a boy chakhan! I got a boy handsome boy nae mam da kajyeogan

I got a boy meotjin! I got a boy chakhan! I got a boy awesome boy wahnjeon banhaenna bwah’

 

Taeyeon was supposed to do her part for the second verse, but nothing came out of and no further movements were made.

 

“Taeyeon-ah why did you stop dancing” her dance instructor inquired.

 

Taeyeon was smiling in the mirror when she was surprised to hear her dance instructor's voice. The music was turned off and the rest of the girls stopped dancing. After hearing her name she turned her gaze towards the dance instructor with an apologetic look.

 

“Huh what? Oh unnie I’m sorry. I just got a little distracted” she said as she bowed apologetically towards the dance instructor.

 

The dance instructor said that it’s okay and followed where Taeyeon’s gaze was previously focused and saw Joohyun in the background trying to follow the choreography. Her lips curved into a smile and she turned her focus back to Taeyeon.

 

“Ahhhh” she beamed. “I see your little one will be a great dancer one day Taeyeon” the dance instructor said whole heartedly. 

 

The rest of the members, who were taking a quick breather all turned to Joohyun with bright smiles. They asked for the music to be put back on but lower the volume slightly. Joohyun got a bit shy to see that all the attention was on her but she did the choreography perfectly and with all the praises from her unnies she couldn’t feel happier.

 

Taeyeon looked at her daughter with all the love in the world and said, “Yeah. Yeah she is”. Taeyeon had to admit that she didn’t want to force anything on Joohyun, she’d let her follow any profession she wanted, as long as it made Joohyun happy. She knew that by working hard herself she’d get to the point in her career where she can provide for both her and Joohyun.

Communication is key to any relationship and this mother-daughter relationship was strongly built on them communicating, so when Joohyun’s dance cover of Sunmi’s ‘Gashina’ went viral, she knew it was time to have that risky talk with her mother again.

 

The first big talk was when Joohyun moved back to the UK. This isn’t a serious talk that ordinary people would have, but when your mother's career is taking off and she’s becoming a hit in all of Asia, things like this need to be discussed. 

 

Joohyun was visiting Seoul during the school holidays and was having lunch with her mother. Joohyun’s Gashina dance cover had been viral for a week now and Taeyeon was proud to see that this boosted her daughters confidence in dance. She knew there was a high demand from kpop fans for Joohyun to post more on her channel and so as they were sitting on the dining table in their Seoul apartment, Taeyeon thought it would be a good time to talk about it.

 

Joohyun was digging into her favourite food in the universe...her mother's home cooked tteokbokki. One thing that Joohyun missed most about not living with her mother was that no one cooked tteokbokki the way Taeyeon did. 

 

“Joohyun are you thinking of posting more on your Youtube channel?” Taeyeon blurted out.

 

“I mean I’d want to, but I’m really not sure if it’d be worth it” Joohyun said shyly.

 

“I think it’s worth it.” Joohyun looked at her mother confused as to where she was going with this conversation. “I mean I know you have a hard time when it comes to your confidence in dancing, but look at all the support you’ve received since that one video. I think it would be good for you and give you something to be proud of because you should be proud of how hard you work” Taeyeon breathed out.

 

“But…” Joohyun said knowing her mother wasn’t done talking.

 

“But..you’re posting on the internet, meaning everyone can see you and will possibly know you and this could really affect us” Taeyeon said calmly.

 

Taeyeon could see the slight frown on Joohyun’s face as she began to reply to her mother’s words. “That’s why I didn’t really want to bring it up. I’m scared that you’ll get in trouble or your fans or fans of other idols will attack me...you know how scary they can be. However, I really want to do this eomma. Going to competitions is not enough, dancing at school is not enough and filming videos to show to barely anyone is not enough. I was really shocked at the response to my first video and I want to carry on. I was thinking of even posting singing videos there as I’m still too scared to sing to anyone but you...I think it’ll be good for me too, but It’s up to you eomma.” Joohyun finished talking and a small smile was put on her face, finally being able to get that off her chest. 

 

Taeyeon was a bit taken back with her daughter's response as she knows Joohyun suffers from serious fright when it comes to her singing. With dancing she’s almost fearless, but unlike her mother she feels as if singing isn’t for her, but really wants

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter