Chapter 04: MASTER ZHANG'S TWIN

The Tangled Heart

Everyone was shocked at what they'd just heard. Lan Jingy, similarly, didn't know what to say. For the first time ever, Sizhui witnessed seeing Jingyi at loss for words. But what struck him tongue-tied, also rendered Sizhui speechless.

How come there hasn’t any news about the Zhang's family having a twin? He thought. And if that was even the case, how could this Miss Zhang dressed in man's clothes? It was the same designed as Master Zhang's robe from the early morning, only difference in color; orange.

It took Sizhui awhile to regain his composure. Politely, he asked the so-called Miss Zhang “Young miss, you must be Master Zhang's twin sister? Please forgive our rudeness just now. It’s just we have never known Master Zhang has a twin."

Miss Zhang turned towards the voice addressing him. In a blink of an eye, the annoyed face shifted to a love-struck expression of a teenage girl. He leaped into Sizhui's personal space and clung to his arm tightly. "Oh, so handsome! How come such a good-looking guy like you exist without me knowing?"

If everyone was shocked before, now they turned flabbergasted. Even Jingyi, with his mouth dropped open, blinked his eyes repetitively.

Sizhui felt heat reddening his cheeks. He chivalrously tried to pry off the clingy hands but to no avail. However, he noticed something glimmering from the wrist that was holding on to him. He finally had the answer to one question.

"Master, why are you out here? The cultivators told us to stay put in our room tonight." The head butler appeared, panting, with a group of servants trailing behind him. Sizhui assumed it must be resulting from running around.

Miss Zhang became gloomy in a second. "Who the hell is your master?" she raged at him.

With one look at his master's robes, his turned around to give order. "Everyone, go and get hot water to prepare for a bath. Can't you see master is covered with dirt? Go now." Once the group of servants scattered, the man turned back and bowed, "Miss Zhang, you are here."

"Of course, I am. Gege hadn't let me out for days. I was bored to death."

"Miss, Master Zhang was protecting you from the evil spirit. He's been trying to keep you safe until the matter is dealt with."

At the word evil spirit, Miss Zhang turned pale and clung onto to Sizhui even harder. "That ghost! Where is it? I am scared."

The head butler looked at Sizhui.

"Miss Zhang please rest assure. The spirit has been taken care of. She’s no longer able to come here again." Sizhui said.

"Really?" Miss Zhang asked.

"Really." Sizhui confirmed with a smile.

"Oh, so handsome. My heart can't take it." Then, Miss Zhang's body went limp in Sizhui's arms.

"Miss Zhang? Are you alright? Miss Zhang, please wake up." he gently shook the body.

"It is alright cultivator. I will take care of her." The head Butler took Miss Zhang from Sizhui's arm. "I apologize for her inappropriate behavior."

"It was nothing at all." Sizhui replied.

"Master Zhang told me that he sincerely looking forwards to having another breakfast with you all tomorrow again." The head butler bowed goodbye to the Lan disciples which they all returned back the gesture.

While watching Miss Zhang being carried away gently, a lot of things were running wild in Sizhui’s head that he forgot what needed to be said.

                                           ---------------

Breakfast was served extravagantly. Not that it wasn't extravagant yesterday; but this morning, it was like a feast. Every type of meat was cooked into different types of dishes elegantly. A total opposite to the Gusu Lan food.

Once everyone had finished eating, Sizhui got up from his seat to stand in the center of the room. With a bow, he said "Master Zhang, the matter of the paranormal activity that had been disturbing your manor was already taken care of. From now on, please rest assure."

"I am grateful for your help, honorable cultivators." Master Zhang returned Sizhui's courtesy with his own. "But what was it exactly? And why did it happen in my manor?"

"It was a spirit of a woman in her late twenties. She had an attachment in the living realm that prevented her from moving on."

"Oh, and that was?"

"She was waiting to meet her son whom I believe might be residing in your house."

"A son in my house?"

"Yes, Master Zhang."

"Do you know his name?"

"I apologize but I couldn't get to hear the name before her soul… left." Sizhui said with a heavy heart.

"I see. That was a pity."

Yes, it was such a pity. Sizhui thought to himself. He wished he could have helped to fulfil her wish. But now she was gone. Vanished, to be exact, without having to meet her son for the last time. He could never forget the way the woman looked at him before her soul dissolved into nothingness.

"It wasn't your fault, Sizhui. You had tried your best." he felt a hand of comfort on his shoulder. Jingyi had walked to stand beside him. Sizhui smiled at his best friend’s solace, feeling so grateful to have Jingyi by his side.

"Honorable cultivators, there are still questions that I still had no answers to. What might be the connection between her and me? According to your description, I am quite sure that she isn't my mother. So why does she only appear when I am around? Like last time when I wasn't here, she didn't appear as well." Master Zhang continued with his question.

Finally, it occurred to Sizhui what he'd initially wanted to say.

"It was due to the bangle that your sister wore."

"My sister?" Master Zhang looked confused.

"Miss Zhang appeared last night" The head butler clarified.

"Oh." A look of apprehension appeared on Master Zhang’s face but it was swiftly shifted into an overwhelming expression that seemed to exhaust him. He lowered his head to rest on his palm with the support of his elbow on the armrest.

Sizhui couldn't really understand what emotion was clashing inside the man in front of him but he needed to inform him of the important matter. "Master Zhang, the bangle that you sister wears may seem just like a normal accessory yet it is cursed with a dark spell that can attract spirit. This explained the reason why there was no disturbance the night you were absent from the manor. So, if I may ask, where did your sister get it from?"

With a deep sigh, Master Zhang lifted his head and looked around the room “First of all, thank you for figuring out the root of the problem, and thank you for solving it. However, there is one thing I need to tell all of you. I actually don't want to bring this matter up because it involves my family's credential. But since you all witnessed it last night, there is no point in hiding anymore. Nevertheless, I would appreciate it if what I am about to say now will spread no further.” He paused and fixated on Sizhui, his expression turned serious. "I trust Lan Sect never break their promises once they give their words. Am I correct?”

Sizhui maintained his eyes contact and responded in an earnest tone. "You have our words, Master Zhang."

He whispered something into the head butler's ears. With a nod, the man bowed and left the room, closing the door behind him. When the door was securely shut, Master Zhang said "The person you saw yesterday, whom you called my sister, was not my sister. It was me."

"Huh?!" Jingy blurted out. The Lan disciples mumbled to each other in bewilderment. Sizhui, on the other hand, remained calm and unreacted.

"I know it sounds confusing. Let me elaborate. I have a multiple personality disorder. The one appeared yesterday was my second self. He’s a man but he likes to behave like a girl in every aspect, except dressing up."

"Ok. Now this is more confusing." Jingy murmured.

Either he ignored Jingy's comment or he didn't hear it, Master Zhang continued. "I don't remember how this happens. And since my parents already passed away, I had no one to ask. So, I just let this slide. Besides, ever since she appears, I feel much at ease. It’s like having a real little sister by my side to reduce my loneliness as a single child." Subconsciously, a smile appear on his face when he thinks of her. "She’s a part of my family now."

Family. Loneliness. Of course, no one would understand these type of feelings more than Sizhui. After all, the people he once knew as his family were all gone. Dead. If it weren't for Hanguang-jun back then, he wondered what he would become.

"Though as much as I enjoy her presence, I don't think the others will think the same, especially my business rivals. Therefore, I decided to keep this matter a secret. Until now, asides from my head butler and my personal physician, no one knew about this. So, I sincerely hope that all of you will keep this secret for me."

"Rest assure Master Zhang. Just like Sizhui had said, you have our words." Jingyi said.

"Thank you." Master Zhang smiled. "Oh, I might’ve forgotten to mention that she likes to behave quite eccentric and childish, especially towards young,  handsome guys. I hope she didn't do anything you might find offensive last night?"

Jingy stiffled a laugh while Sizhui cheeks were flushed red as ripe tomatoes. Thankfully, the sound of door open helped distracting the situation. The head butler walked in carrying a small, red jewelry box. He came to a stop in front of Sizhui and opened the lid, revealing the crimson bangle that MISS Zhang was wearing last night.

"Oh, that's..." Sizhui muttered.

"Yes, cultivator. This is the jade bangle you're talking about." the head butler finished the sentence for him.

"Jade you say?"

"It wasn't just you that find it strange." Master Zhang replied instead of his butler. "Since my second self likes to behave as a girl, she likes to collect many jewelries. I have no idea where she’s gotten this bangle from. When I first saw it, I found the color a bit off. Jade is supposed to be in greenish color but this jade is in crimson color. However, I just think maybe it’s a part of the jewelry making process. Now that you have said the spirit is attracted to it, I am thinking of giving it to you. As a cultivator, maybe you know how to deal with this evil thing."

The head butler closed the lid and handed the box to Sizhui. Once he received it, he felt another twinge of nostalgia hit him. He stared at the little box for a short while before putting it away into his Qiankun. "Yes, that’ll be appreciated. We may need to investigate on this.” He addressed Master Zhang.

The Lan disciples bid Master Zhang farewell and travelled back to Cloud Recess by foot. With the short distance between The Zhang's Manor and Cloud Recess, they didn't want to spend their spiritual energy to maneuver their flying swords. Also, they wanted to see if the people in Gusu might need their help in anything. From each village to another, the inhabitants couldn't help but admire the graceful steps and strong aura of the Lan Sec's cultivators as they were walking by. Jingyi's face was full of pride upon hearing the admirations. Sizhui, on the contrary, heard nothing as he was distracted the whole time.

They passed the last village and were now travelling along the valleys towards Cloud Recess. Jingyi couldn't stand Sizhui's silence anymore so he asked, "Sizhui, what are you thinking this whole time?"

With a weak smile, Sizhui replied, "Nothing much. Just about what happened in the manor."

"If you are feeling guilty about the woman spirit, then stop because you aren’t the person held accountable. Someone else owes us an explanation." Jingyi said while looking back to glare at the Lan disciple who was walking at the last line.

"Jingyi, stop blaming him. It's his first time on a night hunt mission. It is normal for him to be nervous. Besides, I am still held responsible. I am the team leader. I should’ve had control the situation properly."

"Sizhui, a team leader is still human. And stop thinking that you can control everything!"

"I know, but-" Sizhui suddenly stopped walking, his face became concentrative. Jingyi also stopped. "There are disturbances in the wind and the shrubs." he said in a low-toned voice.

Jingyi nodded in agreement. Sizhui turned around and alerted the team. "Everyone, we got an ambush."

As soon as his words were finished, a group of men in black appeared from every direction, surrounding them. Sizhui and Jingyi had their back against each other, swords unsheathed. "Bandits?" Jingyi asked.

Shaking his head, Sizhui said "No. I can sense their spiritual energies. They are also cultivators."

"Damn. We are way outnumbered." Jingyi said. There were about twenty black guys whereas there were only six of them. "Who are you people? Why are you attacking us?" Jingyi shouted.

The bulky man in the front, who seemed to be their leader, sniggered. "The fact that you are from Gusu Lan sect alone is enough of a reason." He spoke with a stentorian detestation.

"Though we are from different sect, we are all cultivators. Do you really need to do this?" Sizhui asked innocently.

"You are wasting too much of our time with your useless talk.” He hissed under his breath. Then he bawled to his group. “Men, kill them." 

And so, the fight began. Despite being outnumbered, The Lan disciples still had the upper hand. Mainly because the attackers were just low-classed cultivators. Sizhui and Jingyi were separated during to the fight. Each of them taking on three men at a times. Once he won over his opponents, Sizhui was about to go assist Jingyi when he was blocked by a big figure. It was the leader of the gang. Leaving no choice, Sizhui fought with the bulky man. Although the leader's sword skill and cultivation were better than his subordinates, he was no match for Sizhui. After receiving several blow from Sizhui, the man staggered a few steps backwards and coughed up blood. His right arm was also slashed by Sizhui’s Wenhe, revealing a straight red line through his torn sleeve.

Sizhui spoke in deferential after seeing the injury on his opponent "Sir, we really don't have to do this. We have no grudges against each other. Lives are precious and shouldn’t be wasted. Please leave with your men. We will pretend that today has never happened.”

The man huffed “No grudges? You of all people have no rights to say that we have no grudges against each other.” And with a wicked grin, he mouthed two words that were only loud enough for both of them to hear.

After hearing those two words, Wenhe was unconsciously dropped to the ground with a clang! “What did you just say?” Sizhui's voice was shaking.

Sneaking the opportunity, the bulky man lifted his sword and ran towards Sizhui. However, due to the wound, he missed the crucial part and only grazed Sizhui’s upper left shoulder. The searing pain made Sizhui yelped, which caught Jingyi’s attention. He turned with his eyes widened in shock when he saw his best friend’s white robe soaked in red. But what puzzled him more was the incoming sword towards Sizhui’s heart, and Sizhui made no attempt to dodge it.

He tried to break his way to where Sizhui was but the men in black just wouldn’t let him. They kept coming at him to prevent him moving from his spot. Jingyi could do nothing besides hollering at the top of his lungs, hoping it would catch his best friend’s attention. “Sizhui! Watch out!”