Chapter 01: CALM BEFORE THE STORM

The Tangled Heart

The cool breeze was blowing melodiously in rhythm with the natural music of birds chirping and leave rustling. One could not find a better tranquil atmosphere besides this one place. The Cloud Recess.

Lan sizhui was holding a white bunny in his lap, its fluffy fur absentmindedly. His gaze was on a herd of white bunnies surrounding him yet his thought was elsewhere.

"Sizhui!" Jingyi was running and shouting his name simultaneously.

Sizhui woke up from his reminisce upon hearing the noise. Still his most favorite bunny, he turned his attention towards his fast-approaching friend with a smile. "Jingyi, running and shouting are forbidden in Cloud Recess."
Jingyi slowed down his pace while looking at the ground, cautiously minded his steps to avoid stepping on those bunnies. He came to a stop next to Sizhui's cross-legged legs and gave his best friend the there-you-go-again-with -the-rule-as-if-you-don't-know-me eyes before replying "You think these two rules are still valid with the presence of our Senior Wei?"

That is right, Sizhui thought to himself.

It had been five years since what happened in the temple. Though the situation was bad, he couldn't help but feel selfishly contented. That very incident led him to unlock many childhood memories, though not all, when he was Wen Yuan. It also brought back two precious people of his past back to him. His uncle Wen Ning, the famous Ghost General; and Wei Wuxian, the name whose gave fear to all, Yiling Patriarch.

But to him, Wei Wuxian was just his cheerful, mother-figured Xian-gege. Coming back after sixteen years to be his mother once again. Resurrected to bring the most genuine smile to his adoptive father. Now that both of them were officially married, he was elated that the missing part of his family had finally completed.

After the marriage, Senior Wei had been living in Jingshi with his husband for four years now. Though he was putting his best effort to comply with the four thousand rules of Lan Sect, there were three rules that he conceded to obey. Shouting, running, and of course, drinking. He didn't even bother to be discreet when he bellowed his self-written poem (which Sizhui never understand its meaning) with the Emperor's Smile held in his hand, skipping leisurely around Cloud Recess. Though everyone had grown accustomed to the senior carefree habit, his great-uncle Lan Qiren still couldn't bear it. Everyday, the furrow between his eyebrows were getting deeper and deeper that could leave behind scars permanently. Yet he restrained himself from scolding or punishing Wei Wuxian for his beloved nephew's sake.

"Hanguan-jun only made an exception for Senior Wei, but the rules were not erased from the principle stones so... "
"Yeah, yeah, so we still had to follow them." Jingyi cut him off. Sizhui smiled at his best friend's temper. "So, why are you looking for me?"
Jingyi smacked his head "Right. I almost forgot. Hanguan-jun asked us to see him. A letter just came today."

                                    ------------------

"The prominent Zhang family? The noble family that hold the most influential power in our Gusu land?" Jingyi blurted out in surprise which earned a hard stare from Hanguan-jun.

Sizhui and Jingyi were standing side by side before the Gusu Lan's acting leader, Lan Wangji, in the library pavilion. A letter was personally brought by the head butler of the family earlier in the morning. The Zhang family had been encountering some paranormal disturbances lately. They had reached out to many ghost hunters and tried various methods but the problems still weren't solved. Their last resort was to seek cultivators.

"Hanguan-jun, may I ask what exactly is bothering them?" Sizhui politely asked his father.

Turning his eyes to his adopted son's direction, Lan Wangji's gaze soften. "The letter and the head butler didn't say much. But it seemed that at night, the water in the fountain turned crimson with black smoke emitting, and cries echoing."

"Hmm... maybe just another vengeful spirit. Nothing much." Jingyi said.

"No comment on unverified thing." Lan Wangji chastised in admonishment.

"Yes, Hanguan-jun." Jingyi lowered his head.

"Sizhui, prepare everything for the ritual and bring several disciples with you." Lan Wangji gave out order.

"Much obliged, Hanguan-jun. We will get ready to depart by tomorrow morning." Sizhui bowed to receive the order.

"Em..." Lan Wangji nodded his head

The two young boys bowed goodbyes to their acting leader before receding the pavilion to prepare for another night hunting. Neither of them knew that the mission this time would create a big stir in the cultivation's world once again. No one was expecting another big chaos so soon. However, life is unpredictable after all.