Can Take My Eyes Off You

On that Night

1



 

 

You're just too good to be true
I can't take my eyes off you
You'd be like heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much

♦♦♦

 

 

He still didn't even know how they managed to convince him, perhaps because it was his last chance before graduating or because his friends had been very insistent on make him go with them. But for the first time ever, since he had entered that place, in his three years of high school, he made the decision to attend the dance that his school prepared without fail every spring. Making sure the suit was in place (the suit that had been lent to him at last minute and that barely fit him) he felt any attempt of enthusiasm vanish from his body, while his best friend, an athletic, but extremely kind and friendly guy, called Youngbae, tried to cheer him up, mentioning the large number of beautiful girls who were in the place, but that quite the opposite of making him feel good, only increased his tiredness and desire to leave from there.

Kwon Jiyong watched with disinterest the old gym that crowded with teenagers dancing, had been barely adorned with paper flowers and lights that reminded him more of Christmas than spring, reinforcing again the reason why he had never found the idea of going, attractive. He sighed, because he hadn't even been there for an hour but annoyed, the only thing he was looking for was what excuse he could say to leave as soon as possible, without making his friends feel bad...

—As always, you’re quite the sensation Jiyong, it seems that they are seeing an idol instead of a classmate— Said suddenly and surprised, another of the friends who accompanied him that night, Daesung, a nice and always smiling boy —They all seem desperate for the great Kwon Jiyong to ask them even one dance— He pointed with his head where several girls seemed to look at him expectantly and nervously, making him snort under his breath and shake his head slightly, it was no secret the enormous popularity that Jiyong seemed to have among the students, especially with girls, who were closer to a fan club than anything else, something that Jiyong didn't really like, feeling uncomfortable about the amount of attention he received.

The band that played poorly in the background something that seemed to be Can't take my eyes of you from Frank Valli, caused him a headache, although, he seemed to be the only one that was bothered for it, because everyone else kept doing their thing without problem. His friends kept talking between them trying to convince each other to ask for a dance one of the pretty girls who kept watching them from the other side of the room, so trying to get distracted for it, without thinking much, he poured some fruit punch in a phosphorescent cup from the big table that was near them.

He just finished, when then a distinctive laugh caught his attention, that inevitably made him do something that he couldn't help. Returning his gaze right in the middle of the improvised dance floor…. He found him... Dancing with another girl who surprisingly didn’t exceed his height. His brown hair in an attempt to be combed "fashionably" was messy falling on his face, while he was just wearing a simple black suit that made him look much thinner and small than he seemed to be in reality. Smiling openly showing his white teeth, while the petit girl that accompanied him hit his chest with ease, trying to contain her own laugh for something he had surely told her making Jiyong ask to himself if they were something, if she was his girlfriend... To finally disappointed nod, because yes, she probably was.

And yet he didn't know why he couldn't take his eyes off him, while Daesung and Youngbae, at his side, kept talking about who would be the first one to dare to make a move and dance. Jiyong could barely hear them, taking a drink of the sweet punch in his cup, still curious, completely absorbed in the way the lights played and contrasted in his white skin, how his smile seemed to form a heart and his body naturally moved to the rhythm of the music, guiding the girl without difficulty, making him feel as if in that old gym nobody else existed.

—Seriously Jiyong?! Of all, you had to take interest at the one who is already with someone— Taking him out of his thoughts Youngbae said mockingly, finally noticing the fact that his best friend ignored them —I can't believe it...— Then Jiyong returned his attention to his friends, that looked at him incredulously, Youngbae in front of him had a raised eyebrow, while, Daesung at his side, shooked his head but smiling still incredulous, Jiyong then shrugged his shoulders, although somewhat embarrassed by the situation and with a slight blush on his cheeks, he could do nothing but hide behind his phosphorescent cup, Youngbae then continued —Do you want to get in trouble?— He began to scold him as always when his best friend did something that he didn’t seem appropriate, to which Jiyong didn’t feel in mood to listen. Knowing that his friends had misunderstood him anyway, he decided to confess who had really piqued his interest.

—I was not watching the girl— He whisper interrupting his best friend's reproach, finally admitting the truth, Youngbae looked confused, approaching him.

—What?— He asked seeming to fail to fully understand what Jiyong had just said

—It wasn't to her I was looking— He closed his eyes and repeated again with regret, this time slowly, feeling increasingly exposed and embarrassed.

—So... — Now genuinely curious Youngbae was going to ask before being interrupted by a female hand of a girl, that any of them had not noticed before, had approached them and was now nervously taking Jiyong's arm,, seeking to get his attention.

—I ... -—With her head down she began to say before breathing deeply to give herself courage, lift her forehead and continue in front everyone's expectant gaze —I was wondering if you would like to dance with me?— Jiyong stared at her almost as if he hadn't understood the question, while his two friends, who seemed to have suddenly forgotten the other matter, were with their eyes wide open in surprise.

Finally, unable to do anything else, not wanting to continue the previous conversation and not embarrass the girl who had just ask him to dance, he nodded. The blush on her cheeks spread and a small shy smile of relief and happiness peeked out from her lips painted with an intense red, he could notice how Youngbae and Daesung raised their thumbs in approval.

Taking her hand, he slowly walked among people looking for a suitable place where they could be without colliding with anyone else, trying to ignore the immense desire, which had resurfaced inside him, to turn to see and make sure the him was still in the same place where he was before. We Belong Together from Ritchie Valens, was the song that could now be heard in the background, while hesitantly he began to dance with the girl, Jiyong felt then, that he should be “happy” for the situation, but, quite the contrary, the feeling of disappointment from before seemed to overwhelm him completely.

For a moment, he try to concentrate on the rhythm of the music and get with the mood of the pretty girl that he was holding in his arms, but even so, sooner rather than later without being able to avoid it, his eyes betrayed him, finally looking for him among the people. And he quickly found him, still carefree and smiling, Jiyong had to admit then that the boy was beautiful, even with those dark circles, which he now managed to notice, that framed his eyes perfectly. Soon he saw how he approached to whisper something to his girlfriend, and a slight feeling of envy and something that seemed jealous, seized him, unable to avoid it, he bit his lip, as if that somehow will prevent him from doing something stupid and what he could regret later.

—Thanks for dancing with me— Said like the sound of a little bell, a thin voice, pulling him out of his thoughts, blinking returned his attention to the girl with which he was dancing —You didn't have to do it— She nervously combed some unruly strands of his blond hair, which had been released from the red bow that adorned it, yet an intense blush spread across her cheeks.

—It was no problem— He replied smiling with embarrassment, feeling bad about his behavior, not fully understanding what was happening to him that night —What is your name?— He ask now politely, realizing that he didn't even know what her name was.

—Liliana, but you can call me Lily— And for a moment he thought, he saw her winking one of her honey eyes in what seemed to be an attempt of flirting, but not wanting to think much about it, he ignored and replied.

—Jiyong, nice to meet you— She nodded, smiling pleased, before squeezing her hand with his and bringing her body closer to him.

—I know… Everybody knows— She said slightly embarrassed but still smiling, to which Jiyong tried to reciprocate her smile, but feeling like an awkward feeling grew inside him, he simply nodded in response.

For another moment they continued dancing from side to side at the rhythm of the song, now without saying anything else, although it was not long until that need to see the boy that caused him restlessness, again force him to look up finding just the moment in which he left from there in hand of the one who seemed to be his girlfriend, causing him a bitter taste in his mouth, feeling simply like a hopeless and disappointed fool. He closed his eyes for a moment before continuing to dance a little longer with Liliana, long enough for the song to end. Apologizing and making excuses, he made his way through the dance floor, but not before feeling a little guilty and troubled about the whole situation.

His friends seemed to have finally decided, since both were now on the dancing, accompanied and smiling, so not wanting to ruin the party with his bitterness, he decided it was time to leave too. The fresh air from outside  his face, until that moment he had not realized how suffocated he was, breathing deeply, even with that intense disappointment running through him. It was not the first time that someone attracted him, in fact, it hadn't been long ago, since the breakup of his last relationship, and he didn’t remember feeling anything similar when they ended it, to what he felt at that moment when he realized that it was very likely he had no chance with him.

It seemed even ridiculous, cheesy and stupid, meaningless, almost as if he had fallen in love... But love at first sight didn’t exist ... Annoyed with himself, then decided to smoke a cigarette, feeling grateful that his best friend wasn't there with him to scold him for it.

He had barely taken a big drag and was releasing the smoke through his mouth, looking at nothing in particular when he found him again, but this time alone, sitting on a nearby bench, seeming to find the dark sky fascinating. Something inside him stirred violently, excited, maybe even scared, the now forgotten cigarette fell at his feet, where without thinking he stepped on it looking to turn it off. His thin and long fingers, nervous combed his black hair and almost feeling as if a invisible force attract him to him, his body began to walk in his direction, even without being clear what he would do after arriving there.

—Great party...— It was the first thing that came out of his lips and almost immediately made him regret how silly it sounded, while a blush started to cover his cheeks, although surprisingly getting his attention, he met with his pretty face full of confusion and curiosity— The... the sky is very clean and clear today— Feeling like he could bang his head against the ground, something more than shame settled before his clumsy words, perhaps, after all if it was best to give up and leave before making things worse... And just when he was about to end all that madness he smiled at him, looking back at the sky.

—It is— He nodded and answered with a soft but melodious voice, which took him by surprise, sweet as honey, he thought, feeling that he could hear it forever —So clear that we can watch some stars— He point excited with his index finger almost like an adorable little boy, Jiyong told himself, biting his lip barely trying to contain a smile that he finally hidden behind the back of his hand, but still unable to avoid it, admiring him.

—Did you like the party?— He cleared his throat slightly and asked, suddenly determined to hear his sweet voice again.

—It wasn't bad— He shrugged his shoulders —It's the first time I come and I didn't know what to expect —He reflected for a moment— But it was fun —He finished with a big smile, seeming to remember something, making him ask Jiyong bitterly if he was thinking about that lucky girl —By the way, my name is Seungri— He introduced himself extending his hand, raising his head, meeting his big brown eyes that shone with naivety and innocence under the street lamps, leaving him breathless for a moment, without thinking taking his hand, he could feel how small and soft it was.

—Jiyong— He introduced himself, feeling fortunate that his voice didn't tremble, he nodded, pointing to the empty place next to him, in a silent signal that he could sit with him, so nervous and somewhat doubtful he decided to do it, hoping that his body will not betray him —has your girlfriend gone?

—My girlfriend?— He asked with a raised eyebrow, genuinely confused by his words —I don't have a girlfriend— He shook his head.

—What about the girl that was with you before?— Realizing his mistake, he look away, biting his lip, embarrassed, Seungri meanwhile began to laugh.

—Jia is not my girlfrien— He said still laughing, seeming to find what Jiyong said very funny, immediately causing him to turn his face to see if it was true —We are friends, we decided to come to the spring dance together— He explained now calmer, but still smiling —We both wanted to, but we didn't have anyone to come with so..— He shrugged his shoulders —Unfortunately his mother was coming for her somewhat early so we had to leave before we wanted from it.

— So it's not his girlfriend— He whisper to himself relieved by it, but Seungri, seeming like he was listening to him, looked at him with curiosity, making him blush, although with a renewed enthusiasm he smiled at him, happy at the revelation —And did you decide to stay and look at the stars?— He asked trying to change the topic, to which Seungri nodded, blinking rapidly in a new innocent and adorable expression, before lowering his sight for the first time.

—I had nothing else to do at home— He replied simply, looking sulking about it, Jiyong could do nothing but admire him spellbound.

Then a warm sensation spread throughout his inside, feeling that something had changed, that there was no turning back, not after that exchange of words, of looks. Jiyong still sitting next to him, nervous, with what he never thought to happen to him, butterflies fluttering in his stomach, wondered: Would it be something crazy to ask him his number? Or a date? It was not the first time he did it, but there was something different this time, in him, in all that situation, in the feelings he caused him.

—I don't have anything to do either— He said, biting his lip, suddenly feeling an adrenaline shot through his veins, determined to make a move, begging of not making a mistake —But I know a very good hamburger place near here— He point out without looking at him, terrified of the idea of ​​being rejected, waiting now a moment before continuing —If you like, maybe we can go...

—Yes!— Seungri answered enthusiastically, taking Jiyong by complete surprise, although he had a vague hope that he would accept, he never imagined that he would do it in such a way, and that when he finally had the courage to look at him, he would find the most dazzling smile he had ever seen, making his heart beat wildly in his chest —Yes, I would like to— And maybe, just maybe at that moment was when he realized he was wrong, that love at first sight surely did exist…

 

Memories clustered behind his eyelids and it seemed only yesterday that he had met him, that he was 18 again all over again and they were in that old gym, although this time, he was dancing with him, as he had wanted that night, as it should have been from the beginning.... Thinking about it made him smile when a small kiss on his lips, make him return to the present, now in the middle of a beautiful room with bright lights, embraced by the man who had just become his husband, while they were dancing gently to the rhythm of Can't help falling in love of Elvis Presley.

— What are you thinking about?— His Seungri asked smiling at him tenderly, looking at him with genuine curiosity and a lovely face, some things never changed —You've been very quiet— He reproach him in a casual tone, although still smiling.

—In when I met you— He replied his face gently, while Seungri raised an eyebrow but with a peculiar glow in his brown eyes.

—On the spring high school dance?— Asked, while Jiyong nodded before said

— I'm remembering how lucky I truly was since then— Finished taking again his lips, but now more insistently, deeper and longer, happy and satisfied with the life he had, grateful to have asked for that first date, to have found him that night.

Although at that time, when he looked at him for the first time, he couldn’t even have imagined how much he would love the cute boy with a puppy's smile and big beautiful eyes and how he would mean the world to him to have him in his life.