that nobody could take your place.

And You Need To Know

ILYSB (stripped) - LANY

 


 

Ryujin doesn’t know what’s gotten into her. 

 

knock knock

 

There’s no answer, but she’s not sure she was really expecting one to begin with. The halls of the apartment building are still, silent in the late night. She’s pretty sure she’s the only person still up at this time of the day right now.

 

She knocks again. Nothing.

 

She’s been out here for around ten minutes now, oscillating between timid knocks and mentally berating her own stupidity. To be honest, Yeji’s probably fallen asleep hours ago. And while Yeji’s not exactly a heavy sleeper, Ryujin’s knocking isn’t exactly upfront and all that bold either. She tries one last time.

 

knock knock-

 

“Hello??”

 

Ryujin freezes in her tracks. Yeji stands before her, clearly just woken from her sleep if her half-open eyes and (extremely short) shorts are any indication. Ryujin doesn’t exactly know what she was expecting when she came knocking at Yeji’s door at this hour, but all her words and thoughts suddenly seem to die at the forefront of her conscious so she just stands there and stares.

 

Yeji’s the one who finally breaks the silence. “Hi.”

 

Ryujin jolts. “Uh- hi.” She internally winces once the words leave . It’s so stiff- so awkward and weird and she feels terrible for being so awkward and weird and annoying and waking up Yeji at 2:24am-

 

It’s 2:24am. It finally settles in her actual conscious that it’s 2:24am and she’s definitely just woken up poor Yeji from her sleep. Ryujin’s horrified at herself.

 

“Oh my gosh, I totally woke you up didn’t I. I’m so sorry- I always forget that you have early classes, I don’t know what I was thinking-“

 

She’s abruptly cut off by Yeji’s innocent stare. “No, I’m happy to see you babe- but what are you doing out here at 2:24am?”

 

Ryujin’s mouth snaps shut at the sound of Yeji’s relaxed laugh. She takes the moment to take in her girlfriend’s appearance. Yeji, although tired, doesn’t look agitated or annoyed, or really anything along those lines- instead, her posture is relaxed as she leans against the doorframe and she’s got an amiable smile on her adorable, dinosaur-like features. It’s a look Ryujin thinks she recognizes- like she’s trying hard not to scare Ryujin away.

 

Then she remembers that she’s supposed to answer the question. “Um- I- I couldn’t really sleep.”

 

She wants to punch herself as soon as the words come out. Yeji seems confused as well, tilting her head with a curious look on her face as she watches Ryujin stumble through their conversation. Ryujin feels her cheeks get even hotter and she feels utterly embarrassed for- for all of this.

 

She sighs, running a hand through tousled pink hair. I think I should go. “I’m really sorry. I just-“

 

“Why don’t you come in first?”

 

Ryujin blinks.

 

“You should stay here with me, since you’ve already come this far- I’m sure I have some extra sleepwear you can borrow for tonight.”

 

Before she can even process the words, she feels Yeji’s thin hand wrap gently around her wrist to pull her inside. The door clicks quietly shut behind her.

 

“Sit here, and I’ll find you something more comfortable to wear than those jeans. They do look great on you, though.” Yeji winks teasingly at her and Ryujin feels her heart jolt like a dead car engine coming back to life, straining in her chest as her cheeks flare red.

 

She’s trying way harder than she should be tonight, trying to piece words together in a coherent sentence. “Wait, but I-“

 

“Also.” Yeji languidly cuts her off once more. Ryujin can’t seem to do anything but let her as she kind of gives up fighting any of this. Yeji is so, so beautiful. Her feline eyes twinkle in the dim lighting of the apartment’s nighttime mode and she smiles so reassuringly at Ryujin that Ryujin wonders how on earth someone as chaotic, flustered, and difficult like herself managed to land a girl as perfect as the one standing before her.

 

“It’s good to see you, babe.”

 

Ryujin wants to say something- wants to explain herself, wants to make excuses for her irrational behavior tonight because Yeji doesn’t deserve this kind of mess. She’s not the type of person who deserves a younger, messy girlfriend who knocks on the door at 2:24am with no prior notice or explanation. Someone who can’t even regulate her own emotions, who can’t even explain or rationalize the things she’s going through.

 

Ryujin’s always tried her best to be the kind of mature she thinks Yeji deserves. Yet she stands here tonight, in Yeji’s apartment at 2:24am, blundering through her sentences, unable to explain herself, unable to even reason with herself why the hell she thought this was a good idea in the first place.

 

Yeji certainly doesn’t deserve this kind of mess.

 

And yet she stands here tonight, in Yeji’s apartment at 2:24am, feeling Yeji gently pull her head to rest as the older girl presses warm lips to Ryujin’s temple. Fingers linger, brushing softly against the skin on Ryujin’s neck, before the older girl pulls away (no doubt to find some spare sleep attire).

 

Ryujin sits, mind blank, on Yeji’s couch as she waits for her to finish rummaging through her things. Warmth lingers on her skin where Yeji had touched her; she continues to wonder how on earth Yeji is so receptive to her bull at this hour of the day.

 

The taller girl reemerges shortly, grinning cheerfully as she saunters back out to the living room. “Here- go get changed. I’ve put a toothbrush and towel out for you in the bathroom, so feel free to use it and anything else you want.”

 

Ryujin stares at the clothes in Yeji’s outstretched hand dumbly. She’s still trying to process everything- this unpredictable situation. She’s still not exactly sure what she expected when she thought it would be a good idea to come out here at 2:24am, but it was certainly something less welcoming and more confrontational than a cheerfully drowsy Yeji who was way too happy to see her given their current circumstances.

 

She feels herself get pulled upright and is met with a signature, bright smile. Yeji’s cheeky grin stretches ear to ear as she steadies Ryujin on her feet. “Would you like me to help you change-“

 

That’s enough to snap Ryujin out of her mini reverie. “Wh- no!” Ryujin squawks ungracefully, snatching the clothes out of Yeji’s hand and all but making a break to the bathroom, cheeks aglow. She hears Yeji laugh aloud behind her as she whips the bathroom door shut and promptly locks the door.

 

Sure enough, there’s a toothbrush, a towel, and some other hygiene products laid out neatly on the sink. Ryujin sighs, still in slight disbelief at how considerate Yeji is of her. She washes up and gets changed- a quick look at the body mirror by the door tells her that Yeji’s clothes are indeed a little bit big on her, but they feel warm and they smell amazing because they smell like Yeji so Ryujin literally isn’t going to complain.

 

When she emerges fifteen-something minutes later, she sees Yeji just sitting on her bed, patiently waiting, and the sight makes that same big warm thing in her chest start straining once again like it’s dying to get out and just run to tell the world that this is the feeling she has when it comes to Hwang Yeji. She tries her best to swallow it down.

 

Yeji finally catches sight of her and Ryujin sees a huge smile blooms on Yeji’s lips, as she turns her full torso to Ryujin and holds out her arms.

 

Ryujin finally meets Yeji’s eyes properly for the first time that evening (not counting those first few seconds when Yeji opened the door for her and she just stared like an idiot). She’s felt awfully self-conscious throughout this whole thing because she’s still kind of berating her temporary lapse in judgement that had led her here to begin with.

 

But she sees the pure, wholehearted smile of unadulterated affection across Yeji’s features and the delighted look in her eyes when Ryujin finally comes to settle softly in her outstretched arms. The way Yeji’s eyes carefully roam her features, taking in every detail and the way Yeji takes a quiet moment to just stare into Ryujin’s eyes.

 

There’s never anything to second-guess about Yeji. Yeji loves who she loves, when she loves, always on her own time. Initially Ryujin had been more skeptical, simply not believing that there was anyone on the planet who would be straightforward like that but Yeji’s behavior was consistent and her advances on Ryujin were persistent- Ryujin eventually realized that that was because Yeji was just straightforward in that way, that she wasn’t particularly interested in playing games and twisting things around like so many other people were.

 

Yeji isn’t anywhere near perfect, yet there’s that tiny part of Ryujin that is always going to believe otherwise.

 

“I- I’m sorry about all this.” Ryujin murmurs softly, eyes casting down self-consciously. Yeji shakes her head- well, as best as she can with one side of her face smooshed in her pillow. She’s so adorable. Ryujin’s heart strains even harder.

 

“Don’t be- I was probably sleeping earlier than I should’ve been anyway. Tell me how your day was.”

 

It’s an obvious move on Yeji’s part to reassure Ryujin about this whole thing because it’s quite clear that Yeji wants her here, wants to be with her, and isn’t angry or upset despite the fact that it’s almost 3am and they should both really be sleeping by now. Ryujin decides to take the bait because she really, really appreciates Yeji’s quiet thoughtfulness at times like these.

 

“Well, it was alright I guess. Could’ve been better.”

 

Yeji hums lightly. “Did you have breakfast?”

 

Ryujin can’t help the short laugh that escapes her because she’s pretty sure that they both know the answer to that question. “Nope. I woke up later than I wanted to.”

 

“I expect nothing less from you.” Yeji teases her gently. Her fingers reach to brush some stray hairs from Ryujin’s face. It tickles in the most pleasant, soothing way. “Did you make it to class then?”

 

Ryujin snorts. “I always make it, contrary to what Chaeryeong tells all of you.” The words come out in a grumble, but Yeji’s obviously amused by her own teasing as she laughs and reaches out to pull Ryujin in closer. Ryujin can’t help the bursting sensation in her chest that swells, churns, strains against her mind that always screams for Yeji, always looks for Yeji.

 

“On time?” Yeji inquires as her chuckles simmer down some.

 

“Of course! Well- usually, anyway.” Ryujin tags on the last part as a tiny grumble. Yeji bursts out laughing again and she reaches out to smooth the creases that have formed between Ryujin’s brows.

 

“Did you learn anything?”

 

“I- kind of.” Ryujin starts an excuse but ends it just as fast as she's attempted it. It’s a sheepish admission that comes out a little breathier than she’d intended.

 

She’s not really all too tired, even though it’s almost 3am and it’s really not a good time to be awake considering the classes on her schedule for tomorrow. But it’s also an optimal time for her to realize that there is something about Yeji that the little annoying thing in her chest really, really likes. Likes so much, she’s not sure if she ever wants to leave her.

 

She feels Yeji pull her even closer, so that she’s resting on the older girl’s collarbone in her embrace. “That’s very nice. I’m glad you’ve paid attention.” Yeji hum lightly as she leans forward to press a brief kiss to Ryujin’s forehead, tugging the blankets tighter around them and snuggling into the pillow.

 

Ryujin watches her with this newfound realization. Watches Yeji’s eyes start to flutter shut in the deep of the night. Watches her breathing start to even out in a light, shallow rhythm. She must be tired.

 

“Good night, Yeddong.” Ryujin says, voice smaller than she knew it could be. She’s starting to feel a little bit drowsy herself, the gentle heat of Yeji’s body simmering through their clothes and the fresh, clean smell of Yeji’s sheets surrounding her, settling her in.

 

She snuggles closer to the older girl just as Yeji’s eyes finally close. “Mm, g’night Ryu. Sleep tight.”

 

Ryujin exhales softly as Yeji finally falls asleep. She feels Yeji’s breath, listens to the slow beat of her heart, feels the warmth of her body and her unhindered desire to love Ryujin, and then she does. She finally does.

 

Ryujin still hasn’t really told Yeji what exactly it was that caused her to go out looking for Yeji at 2:24am, but she sleeps peacefully knowing that Yeji will wait for her to tell everything in due time. For now, she decides to let herself enjoy the moment where she’s finally found a home in someone named Hwang Yeji- one that she can always come back to, no matter what time of the day it is.