Aliens Are Not Green

Aliens Are Not Green
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

”Green? You can’t be serious,” Kibum exclaimed, looking at Jinki like he had lost his marbles.

“What? I like green,” Jinki argued with a slight pout, his finger the colour of his choice on the colour card in front of them.

“I know you do, but do you really want our living room to look like a tennis ball?” Kibum asked incredulously. He shuffled through the cards until he reached the more muted spring greens. “What about something like this? It’s still green but it doesn’t scream ‘we have no sense of style and we are stuck in our teens’.”

Jinki looked at the colour with a frown, lifting his finger to one of the ones Kibum had suggested. “But... they are not really green,” he said, glancing between the muted greens and the neon one he had picked out.

Kibum sighed and rubbed a hand over his face. “It will look horrid with your couch,” he said, looking down at the colour Jinki had chosen again.

“But if we paint the wall opposite the couch, no one will notice!” Jinki insisted, smiling at Kibum with just a hint of begging in his expression. “We were gonna paint the wall where the TV and DVDs will be anyway, so even if it looks kinda angry now, it will look better and more muted when the furniture covers it,” he argued, finger going back to that specific green.

“Tell me why we are only painting one wall and then hiding it behind furniture again?” Kibum asked.

“It’s called an accent wall. It’s very modern, all the home magazines have pictures of rooms like that. It gives a splash of colour without it being too overwhelming because it’s only one wall.”

“Yes, but I am sure that splash of colour was supposed to be beige or grey or even navy blue, not neon green!” Kibum argued in an exasperated tone. “I don’t want our living room looking like the inside of a freaking alien.”

“Aliens are grey, Kibum, not green. That’s just the media’s portrayal of extraterrestrial life forms and it holds no basis in reality,” Jinki huffed, annoyed that he had to explain this time and time again.  

Kibum mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like a suggestion of where Jinki could stuff the extraterrestrial life forms. Then he sighed again, trying to calm himself. “Look, I just think it would be nice if the living room was a more muted colour. It can still be green, just a little less neon.”

Jinki frowned and slowly flicked to the next colour card, pointing to a shade that looked almost identical to the one he had chosen before. “This one, then?”

Kibum looked like he was an inch away from strangling his boyfriend when someone came up behind them. “Have we decided on anything?” Minho asked, shaking his head and raining little droplets of water everywhere that made both Kibum and Jinki wince. It had obviously started raining during the time Kibum and Jinki had been there.

“You are not a dog, Minho,” Jinki repeated for the nth time, tired of his taller boyfriend’s penchant for imitating dogs when his hair got wet. “I suggested this for the living room but Kibum is being difficult.”

Minho looked down at the colour, squinting at it for a moment. “That will definitely give me a headache.”

“Thank you!”Kibum exclaimed, lifting his hands in a silent prayer of thanks. “I suggested a more muted green, but this idiot insists we go lime on the living room.”

“I just like the colour,” Jinki said with another pout, realising he was in the minority on the colour choice. “Fine, I guess we can go with one of the boring greens then,” he said, flicking through the cards to get to the ones Kibum had suggested, a petulant pout on his lips.

“Hey, you’ll still have your office, remember,” Minho said, poking Jinki’s side gently. “You can paint that as green as you want.”

The smile on Jinki’s face was brilliant when he turned to him. “You are right! Thank you!” he said, happily snapping a picture of the green he had been so set on so they could give the number to the store clerk once they had decided on all the colours.

Kibum rolled his eyes at his two boyfriends and shook his head, taking over the stack of colour cards so he could find the muted spring greens. “What about something like this? It’s green, it’s not super muted, but it also won’t hurt Min’s eyes,” he suggested, pointing to a fresh spring green that was dusty enough to suit Kibum’s tastes and hopefully green enough to suit Jinki’s.

Jinki narrowed his eyes at the colour for a moment before nodding, a smile slowly emerging on his face. “Okay, I like it. Ming?”

Minho hummed, wrapping his arms around Kibum’s waist so he could rest his head on his shoulder. “Looks good to me,” he said, easily complying with the colour the two others had finally settled on.

Jinki snapped a picture of the number and put his phone in his pocket. “Okay, kitchen? Or are we gonna keep that white?”

“I think we should keep it white, if only because I have no idea what wall we would paint there,” Minho said, smiling when he heard Kibum humming in agreement and felt it in his own chest.

“So, bedroom, then?” Jinki asked, spreading out the colour cards in a large fan so they could see the different sections of colour groupings.

“I read that blue increases melatonin in the brain, which helps you sleep well, so I am voting something on the blue scale,” Kibum said, folding the reds, greens, yellows, and beiges away. “Maybe a soft sky blue?”

“Ew, that will look like a nursery,” Minho said, wrinkling his nose in distaste at the colour Kibum had pointed out.

“You’re right,” Kibum frowned, flicking through a few cards to find the more muted blues that didn’t scream ‘BABY BOY’ quite as intensely.

“Hmm, I like this one,” Minho said, pointing to a light teal colour. “It’s pretty, it seems calming without being too boring.”

Jinki and Kibum both squinted at the colour, trying to imagine the bedroom painted in it. “I think if we go a little more blue, like this, it’s a winner,” he said, pointing to the next colour card where the teal was j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter