Chapter 3

What's Rightfully Yours

    Yuqi let out a sigh of relief as she arrived at the headquarters, still waiting for the meeting to start. Thankfully, she arrived even before the leader did, sparing her some wrath and probably some drills to serve as punishment. Dang to the military and their disciplinary actions. But hey, at least she won't be experiencing it today.

   

    "Where were you?" Miyeon, a fellow cadet, asked her.

   

    “I came from the capitol. I had to the princess back to the palace." Yuqi replied indifferently

   

    "You had to do what?!" 

 

    Before the conversation can continue, a strong presence strolled inside of the dimly lit room. Hushed conversation and mumbling seized immediately. All heads turn towards the figure making her way towards the elevated platform in front of the massive map of the kingdom. Jeon Soyeon, small in stature but big in power. The leader of the troop stationed inside the city walls. Never come across her if you still want to live another day. 

 

    "Thank you for coming to this meeting. Although, I will not make this long. We don't need to have the kingdom unattended now, do we?" Inhaling deeply, the small leader clapped her hands and went straight to the point. "There are spies within the western province. They’re on the loose and we believe that whoever it is, is inside the city walls.”

 

   The air grew thick with tension, lumps are being swallowed, and sweats are being controlled. A spy, an enemy soldier was able to enter their borders and inner walls without them noticing. A great embarrassment towards the kingdom's military. How careless of them. 

 

    Yuqi’s hand trembled as her hand curled into a fist. How? She locked eyes with Minnie, the one she was patrolling with earlier, giving each other a tensed and knowing look. Exhaling silently and slowly through her nose, she let her attention go back to the woman in front of her. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw their leader’s face. Her eyes baring in each of the soldier’s souls. It was clear. Find the spy before anything happens. Failure is not an option. 

 

~...~...~...~

    Arms across her chest, Yuqi taps her finger on her arm as she glared to anyone that comes within her line of sight. No. She won’t risk it. Even if she promised to protect every person of Draqua, she won’t hesitate to take action towards those who will be a threat to the kingdom.

 

    “This is so good!” She heard her Minnie exclaim by her side. “Want some?”

 

    A red object came into her line of vision which made her eyebrows knit deeper. She pushed Minnie’s hand away before continuing her ongoing series of glaring at people.

 

    “That’s rude, you know? Suspecting innocent people like that.” Her fellow cadet accused before taking a bite off her candied apple.

 

    “They’re spies, Minnie. They can and will look like our people. We should be extra cautious.” 

 

    “Sure sure. Whatever satisfies your uptight .”

 

    Stomping her foot, Yuqi turns to glare at her. “Minnie!”

 

    Minnie let out a hearty laugh before throwing the core to the bin near them. She dusts her hands off and starts walking. Even though the kingdom is in danger of having a war with the neighboring country, life still goes on and both cadets will never get tired of the sea of blues, golds, whites, and black. The official colors of the kingdom. It has always been like that and no one ever feels the need to question why each kingdom has its own colors. 

 

    Although born and raised in Draqua both cadets are not full-blooded Draquanians. Yet, their loyalty will remain towards the kingdom they are now serving.

 

    A different color rushed through Yuqi’s vision, stopping her from walking any farther. She tugs on Minnie’s sleeve, who only looks at her with a raised brow. Her sight never left the direction where she saw the foreign color. Her body stays still as she feels her environment - Minnie doing the same. She squinted and let her eyes scan the area.

 

    There! 

 

    She runs towards the green lump that’s surfing through the crowds. Although the person wearing it is clad with a long robe of blues and whites, the boots are definitely not from here. She can feel Minnie following her, having noticed the suspicious color. 

 

    Without anything on their minds but to seize the figure, the two cadets kept on running with Yuqi in front. That’s why she didn’t notice the person in front of her. She didn’t stop and slammed towards the man, sending both of them towards the ground.

 

    No! She quickly stood up and looked for the person they were chasing. They lose it. Dang it! She looks over her shoulder only to see her fellow cadet breathing heavily with her eyes and lips wide open. She followed Minnie’s line of sight and finally saw the person she bumped to. 

    

    Yuqi’s eyes widen and her heart beats faster. Nope, not from running that far of distance. Definitely not that.

 

    Yuqi just slammed and possibly hurt the crown prince.