Chapter 1

What's Rightfully Yours

 

 

Run.

 

Just run. 

 

Don’t look back. Don’t hesitate. Just keep on  running forward.

 

His lungs burn and the smell of smog mixed with gunpowder and rotten flesh did not help. His legs ache, careful not to stumble on anything that will slow him down. His vision unsteady. His mouth tasting like metal. His throat dry. His ears, filled with the sound of guns and bombs.

 

Yet he didn’t stop. 

 

He runs. He keeps on running.

 

That’s why he didn’t notice the red-uniformed soldier’s blocking his escape route. 

 

His head keeps on pounding against his skull, making him fall. Heaving and panting, he tries to think of a way to keep on moving but to no avail. 

 

He suddenly feels a yank under his arm, forcing him to stand up. 

 

Move, you stupid body.

 

Muffled conversation made way to his ears, followed by a group of laugter. 

 

Escape. He needs to get out of here.

 

Then, a gunshot invades the already deafening place and he feels his body fall hard. He tries one more time, with great difficulty, to move.

 

Breathing hard, he’s forced to lie down by a strong pair of arms. His body shakes as he tries to open his eyes. 

 

He sees her.

 

He sees her - curly brown hair, fair skin, and doe-like eyes -  yet he couldn’t hear her. What? What is she saying? Her lips keeps on moving and he couldn’t hear anything.

 

A sharp pain goes through his head and he loses his consciousness.