D -Day

Winter Wonderland

When Eunbi woke, she felt herself sleeping on a proper bed. However, it didn’t feel like her own. She opened her eyes and looked around the room. The blinds have been drawn but it was bright enough for the light to leak in from the sides. Slowly, she recalled what had happened last night and realized that she was still at Sojung’s apartment. The next thing she processed was how empty and quiet the room was. Looking to her side, she found the space next to her empty but there were traces that the occupant had been there not too long ago.

She lazily swung her legs out of bed and stretched as she got up. Walking out to the living room, she saw that Yewon and Yuna were still fast asleep.

“Morning,” a soft voice greeted her from behind. Eunbi turned around to see Eunha smiling at her.

“Morning. Where’s Yerin?” Eunbi asked.

“She went with Sojung to get brunch for everyone. They should be back soon. Why don’t you wash up first? They might be back by the time you’re ready.”

Eunbi nodded and shuffled off to the bathroom. True to Eunha’s words, the jingle of keys could be heard not long after Eunbi had finished freshening up.

“Morning, B. Sorry I left without saying anything,” Yerin gave an apologetic smile but Eunbi waved her off.

“Don’t worry about it,” Eunbi placed a quick kiss on Yerin’s cheek as she helped them unpack the bags of takeaways and grocery that Sojung picked up on the way.

“I’ll go wake them,” Eunha said from the doorway. They greeted the two sleepyheads as they shuffled by to freshen up. Once everyone was back in the living room, they settled down in front of the TV to have their brunch with the company of cartoons.

 

❄      ☃      ❄      ☃      ❄

 

The friends had hung around till around 3 in the afternoon when they decided to go around on their separate dates for the rest of the day. Yewon and Yuna were the first to leave but not before giving everyone a tight hug.

“B, do you mind heading home first? I got to drop by the office to pick up some stuff but I won’t be long,” Yerin said and Eunbi nodded. “You got the keys?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll see you soon yeah?” Yerin smiled, sealing that promise with a kiss that left Eunbi smiling uncontrollably before leaving.

“You two are really cute you know that? You’ve been married for two years but you still act like a new couple,” Sojung said from the couch. Eunbi knew that it was a heartfelt comment despite the phrasing sounding more like a jab and so she smiled.

“She just never fails to make me feel like a teenage girl in love.” Eunbi laughed. “Don’t you dare tell me it makes you wanna vomit. You and Eunha act like that all the time too.”

Sojung looked at Eunha who couldn’t help but laugh at how accurate the statement was.

“Well, I guess I’ll make a move first and not hold y’all up on your alone time,” Eunbi said with a greasy wink. 

“Ah no, wait,” Sojung called out. Eunbi raised an eyebrow at the sudden exclamation. “I think Eunha has something to give you.”

“Huh?” Eunha blinked and pointed at herself. She shared a look with Sojung before nodding eagerly.

Eunha stood up and disappeared into the bedroom for a few minutes before returning with a small paper bag.

“It’s nothing much but well… It’s the thought that counts, right?” Eunha giggled as Eunbi took the bag.

“You didn’t have to you know? I- We’re more than happy to just spend time together.”

“I know, but really, it’s just a small gift. Hope you and Yerin like it.”

“I’m sure we will,” Eunbi smiled and hugged her old friend.

“Run along, kiddo. Text us when you’re home, alright?” Sojung said and stood up to hug Eunbi as well.

“I will. Have fun you two!” Eunbi cackled and hurriedly went to put on her shoes before Sojung could kick her . She bid them well one last time as they walked her to the elevator and made her way to the car. Whilst she let the engine warm up a little, she checked her phone and saw a text from Yerin.

 

I’ve got what I needed, heading home now

I’m just about to drive home. See you :)

 

Eunbi hit send and placed her phone on the passenger seat before driving off. Sojung and Eunha lived relatively close and in less than 15 minutes, she was reversing into the parking bay and taking the elevator up. She pressed her thumb against the biometric lock and entered, toeing her shoes off and placing them neatly onto the rack. 

She was about to walk straight into the bedroom when she noticed something from the corner of her eye. There was a small bouquet of tulips resting on the coffee table. Walking closer to inspect, she saw that there was a card beneath it. She took the tulips in hand with an amused smile; they were the same flowers that Yerin had got her on their first date. Holding the card up, she read:

 

I’d like to put your tulips and my tulips together ;)
(Study)

 

Eunbi audibly snorted at how horrible that pun was but it made her smile uncontrollably. Looking back at the note and the word study written slightly smaller below made her pause for a second. When the realization hit her, she immediately got up and walked to the study where there was a box on her chair. It was a brown box with a simple wine red ribbon tied on the lid. Pulling the ribbon loose, she removed the lid and saw a film camera nestled on the base of tissue shreds along with another card.

 

For you to capture more memories with a little style
(Bedroom)

 

Eunbi smiled and tucked the flowers in her arms to pick up the camera and headed to the next location. She didn't have to look too hard, for on the bed sat a small box. She opened it to reveal a thin silver bracelet and as expected, another card beneath the box.

 

Put this on and come back out for your last present

 

There wasn't a location stated but Eunbi knew what it meant. She slipped the bracelet onto her wrist and walked out to see Yerin standing in the middle of the living room, both hands tucked in her pant pockets.

"So this was what you had to pick up, hmm?" Eunbi asked, voice barely concealing her amusement.

"Mmhmm, very important work stuff," Yerin agreed in equal amusement as she extended a hand towards Eunbi, wiggling her fingers to beckon the girl over. Eunbi let Yerin take her hand and the latter pulled her close, resting her other hand on Eunbi's lower back and leaning up to press a kiss on the girl's forehead.

"Such a romantic," Eunbi grinned.

"Just for you."

"So what's my last gi-"

Before Eunbi could finish, something fluttered down between them. It caught on the lapel of Eunbi's coat and the girl gave an amused smile when she saw what it was. Yerin, however, grumbled and rolled her eyes.

"I should have used a different tape."

"I didn't see it stuck up there a while ago. When did you..."

"While you were in the bedroom. I was hiding in there," Yerin said and pointed at their kitchen. "Guess the tape is rubbish."

"Well, it still works if I just..." Eunbi trailed off and picked the sprig of tinsel leaves off her coat and held it up above their heads.

"I guess it does," Yerin smiled and leaned in for a kiss.

 

 


 

 

"B," Yerin called to Eunbi who was setting the last plate onto the drying rack.

"Hmm?" Eunbi hummed in question and dried her hands on her sweatpants as she walked to Yerin who had stood from the couch. Eunbi let Yerin take her hands, positioning one on Yerin's waist and one that remained in Yerin's hand.

"Dance with me," Yerin said and it was then that Eunbi realized the soft music playing in the background that she hadn't noticed before.

"What's with the sudden urge to?" Eunbi asked with a laugh but complied, letting Yerin sway her along slowly.

"Well, you shared my interest with me so I thought of doing the same for you. I definitely can't break out any hip hop or contemporary moves so this is all you're getting," Yerin quipped and Eunbi nodded with a light chuckle.

"This is sweet enough for me," Eunbi said. They slow danced around the living room without a word, choosing to enjoy the moment. They had been to events and functions before so Yerin was no stranger to dancing but she was never one to be seen on the dance floor, instead, opting to remain by the sidelines to socialize with others or watch the crowd. It certainly wasn't her first dance with Eunbi but somehow, this time felt different.

Here they were, twirling around in their living room in their pyjamas with only eyes on each other. Maybe it was the dim lighting that made it feel more romantic or maybe it was the music. Maybe it was just Yerin getting intoxicated by Eunbi's presence in her arms. Yerin loved how Eunbi could make her feel like she was falling in love for the first time, every time. Every time she looked at Eunbi, she could feel the warmth expanding in her heart and pure bliss wash over her. 

"Looks like someone's getting sentimental too," Eunbi whispered and Yerin nodded with a breathy laugh.

"Now I know what you mean."

Eunbi simply smiled and rested her head on Yerin's shoulder, breathing in the scent of her wife. The simplicity of it all gave them an unspoken agreement.

Life was great, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

 

 

 



 

[A/N] Thank you all for reading! I know it's been a long time since I wrote which explains the slight lack in quality as compared to the previous countdown I did. But apart from that, I hope you've enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing this! Never could have done it without inspiration from some friends and real-life itself ;) 

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and enjoy the holidays even if you don't! Take care!