D - 7

Winter Wonderland

Eunbi let out a sigh as she looked at the Christmas tree standing in the corner, mug of hot chocolate nestled in her hands. A slight smile graced her lips as she remembered how Yerin set it up with her just last week. The girl watched as the Christmas lights twinkled around the dark apartment. It was a cold winter night but without Yerin around, it felt even colder.

The photographer had been abroad for the past week. Eunbi wanted to sulk when Yerin had told her about the overseas project since it was during the festive period but after being promised that she would definitely be back in time to celebrate Christmas together, Eunbi gave in. Of course, she would never stop Yerin from travelling for work. No, Eunbi wasn’t a control freak. In fact, she was happy that they had stable working hours now. This was one of the rare occasions where Yerin had to leave the country and Eunbi understood.

The ringing of her phone snapped her out of her daze and a big grin instantly spread across her face when she saw that the caller was none other than the person she had been missing dearly. Without wasting another second, she set her mug down on the coffee table and picked up the call.

Hello?” Yerin’s gentle voice filled her ears. 

“Hey,” Eunbi breathily chuckled as she balanced her phone on her knee, switching Yerin to speakerphone.

Were you sleeping? Sorry if I woke you. It’s pretty late isn’t it?” Yerin said, sounding apologetic.

“No no, don’t be. I was awake the whole time. I was watching a movie while waiting for your call actually.”

Haha, miss me?

“You don’t say,” Eunbi rolled her eyes.

I actually called to show you something B,” Yerin said and Eunbi watched as the caller interface was replaced with Yerin’s big smile. She picked her phone up and the camera, mirroring Yerin’s smile.

“What did you want to show me?”

“Allow me to bring you on a humble room tour,” Yerin said as she extended her free arm out as if presenting something grand. Eunbi watched as the girl walked to a corner of the room. “Here’s the front door, the washroom that’s beside it and my queen bed.”

“It looks really cosy,” Eunbi nodded.

That’s probably cuz I got the warm lights on. But nothing can beat my own home can it?” Yerin smiled. "But what I really want to show you isn’t my room.

“Then what is it?”

My face,” Yerin smirked and almost instantly received a scoff from the younger girl. “I don’t think you’re even ready for this honestly.

Eunbi looked on attentively as Yerin unlocked the glass door and slid it open. Nimbly, Yerin slid out onto the balcony and looked into the distance for a moment.

Are you ready?” Yerin asked. Eunbi nodded and the photographer switched to her back camera. As soon as the display flipped, Eunbi let out a gasp.

Sure it wasn’t of the best quality but there in its glory, the Auroras Borealis. Wisps of green that seemed to flow fluid in the night sky an a few white dots which Eunbi presumed to be the brightest stars that the camera could capture.

“It’s… beautiful is an understatement.”

It truly is. It looks even more breathtaking in real life. I just wish you were here to see it too,” Yerin sighed from behind the camera. The couple fell silent for a few moments before Yerin retreated back into her hotel room. Shutting the balcony door tight, she hopped into bed and turned the camera back around.

I miss you,” Yerin whispered.

“I miss you too. I hate that we’re so sappy as if it’s been months but I really do,” Eunbi cracked a lopsided smile. “But you’re flying back tomorrow morning aren’t you? So that’s good.”

Well… about that…” Yerin began, sounding a little hesitant. Eunbi felt her heart drop at Yerin’s tone. “There were some unforeseen circumstances and I might have to extend my stay for another week… There was some miscommunication between the client and the locations and it’s really just a mess right now…” 

Eunbi felt her eyes beginning to water as she looked at Yerin who looked really guilty and apologetic.

I’m sorry, B. I might not be able to come back in time for Christmas…

“It’s alright, work comes first okay? Just focus on what you have to do and I’m sure it’ll be all settled in no time,” Eunbi managed to say despite the growing pain at the back of .

I will. I’m really sorry B. I really thought this would be a smooth shoot,” Yerin ran a hand through her hair.

“It’s really okay, Rin. When you’re back, we can celebrate our own little Christmas, mm?” 

Okay… It’s almost 3 am no? Get some rest B, I’ll call you back?

“Mmhmm. Take care, love you,” Eunbi managed a dry smile.

Are you really alright?” Yerin asked, leaning closer into the camera.

“Yes you worrywart, I can feel your worry though the camera,” Eunbi crinkled her nose.

Sweet dreams, Eunbi-yah. Love you,” Yerin smiled and waved at the camera. Eunbi gave her wife one last smile before ending the call.

The dancer let her phone fall to the couch as she drew a deep breath. She didn’t really know what to feel. She wasn’t angry though; work was work and responsibilities shouldn’t be shunned. Was she disappointed? She’d say no but who was she kidding? Yerin had promised her but that would bring her back to the previous point.

“Bah, it’s not like she’s moving there forever. I’ll still see her, just after another… week…” Eunbi tried to reason with herself only to let out a bigger sigh. She looked down at her hand and twisted the silver ring on her finger. “You’ve been married for a year, Hwang Eunbi. Isn’t the honeymoon phase supposed to be over? Why are you acting like a lovesick puppy?”

She shook her head and reached for her mug of hot chocolate that was now cold.

“Get a grip of yourself. You won’t literally die if you don’t see Yerin for more than a week,” she mumbled to herself and finished off her cold chocolate. She cleaned up and headed to get ready for bed.

Sliding under the covers, she pulled the bear that was neatly tucked in on Yerin’s side of the bed and hugged it tightly. 
A week will pass soon enough, was her last comprehensible thought before her fatigue took over.