Chapter 2, Section 1: Before

Old Souls

The funeral lasted 3 days. Mourners from across other countries showed up to pay their respects. The ceremony for Donghai's coronation was more brief, thousands gathered in the kingdom's center as Donghai was officially crowned as King of Meridia.

 

"You may leave." King Donghai waved his hand in dismissal of all staff. Hyukjae remained. "I said you may leave. That includes you, peasant." The coronation had was months ago. His father had passed and he had no family remaining. Heavy was the king that wore the crown.

"I was told to-"

"Remain by my side by my father who is no longer here We've been through this before." He interjected. "But alas, I am your king now. What I say goes and I said to leave."

"I understand, but my orders were final."

Donghai sighed in frustration. "I was there too Hyukjae, right outside the door. I didn't hear your conversation, but I could hear the life leave my father. His words no longer apply. I am king now. I have more power than before and you have no use. You are not even a knight. How could you protect me? You are dismissed."

He waved his hand again and returned to the documents he was reading through. Grief kept him busy, but being a king kept him even busier.

Hyukjae remained posted.

Donghai slammed both hands on the table and the ground shook.

"Do you not understand basic instructions!?"

The door opened revealing a frantic guard.

"Prince Shindong is here with his sister, Princess Hyoyeon. They say the arranged marriage will still happen as per King Siwon's agreement."

Donghai snorted and sat back down. "You can tell them it's been cancelled, they can visit next time when I am more adjusted."

The guard shook his head, "They are refusing to leave without being seen."

The king stood up from his seat, his lavish cape flowing behind him. He opened the door and walked down the stairs where the prince and princess awaited him.

"Prince Shindong, Princess Hyoyeon. To what do I owe the displeasure?" Donghai greeted. Hyukjae stood a few feet behind.

"Your highness, congratulations. Sorry I wasn't able to make the funeral or your coronation, but we had more pressing matters to attend to. Which I believe, your arranged marriage with Princess Hyoyeon was one of them."

"Was. You are correct. It was cancelled, you may return home."

"Tsk tsk tsk. I don't think so." Shindong wagged his finger. "It was merely postponed for a few months to give my blessings. Neither my sister nor I were ever informed of a cancellation."

"As I am the current king, I am informing you right now."

Shindong's eyes darkened and Hyukjae's grip on his sword tightened.

"No, that's not how it will go. If I'm correct before the king died, your guards were embroiled in war for territory in Agurd. Which means if another war were to occur, your people would not survive. So you have 2 choices and I'm a fair man. You can either fight and die a cowardly king or you can marry my sister and live happily ever after."

Hyukjae knew this wouldn't end well. The king's temperament was violatile and Shindong was demanding, something he knew the king hated more than anything; being told what to do.

"Are you threatning me!" Donghai's eyes narrowed.

"We had a deal your majesty. Do not blame me for your deceit." Shindong scowled.

Princess Hyoyeon, noticing the growing tension stepped forward. "Brother may I speak to the king alone?"

"As you wish." Shindong kissed the top of her head. "I will wait outside."

Donghai inhaled sharply. "Everyone is dismissed, including you Hyukjae and I mean it."

Hyukjae was about to protest, but as his eyes captured the king's his resolve faded. For the first time, he knew to fully trust Donghai and his decisions and he feared he would know the true extent in the future.

"As you wish, your highness."

 

"There is still strife about my coronation even though it was months ago and now this? What would marriage solve in a time like this when it is your brother that wishes to be king."

"He was promised my marriage to unite our countries, but you must understand that neither of us chose this. Please Donghai, agree to it." Hyoyeon pleaded knowing her brother's intentions. She had grown up alongside Donghai, she knew his moods the best. She was simply trying to bring a solution, peace amongst all the chaos.

Donghai took Hyoyeon's hands in his own. "But your heart is not with mine and my heart is with no one."

Hyoyeon looked away, shame filling her features. "We both must make sacrifices, it is our duty."

"Indeed it is, but forgive me if I walk a different path." Donghai unsheathed his own sword and spun the princess into his arms, holding the sword against . She cried out in fright alerting her brother and the others who were waiting outside.

"King Donghai, unhand the princess!" Shindong pointed his sword towards the king and Hyukjae reacted, placing himself between the two. His sword reained at his side.

"Know your place slave! You and your master will pay with your lives if my sister is harmed!"

Hyukjae stood firm, his sword remained at his side. He trusted the king, but did the king trust him back?

"We both know that you and your sister would be dead before your blade touched a hair on my head, is that a chance you are willing to take?"

Shindong stood quiet.

"Leave now. You are pardoned at my expense. Leave my people alone! I am your KING!"

Shindong glanced at Hyoyeon who was whispering into Donghai's ear and he understood. He wasn't going to gamble her life away.

"Fine. We will leave, but this will not be the last you've heard of us."

"Good, now leave. Hyukjae them out and if you try anything, your screams will be the last thing you hear."

The king released his hold on the princess who ran into her brother's arms. A tiny cut was on her neck as Shindong inspected her, Hyoyeon responded. "Please brother, it was my fault. I was careless, please let us return home."

"You will pay for this, Donghai."

The king nodded. "I will be expecting it."

As they all left the room, Donghai collapsed to the floor, his hands shaking. Was this what his father meant? That he would know the true horrors of being a king? Donghai felt as if the worse was yet to come.

 

"Your highness they have left." Hyukjae called out, the door remained closed but he knew better than to enter without permission.

"You may enter Hyukjae."

The protector opened the door and stepped inside. He bowed deeply and watched as Donghai's eyes shut in exhaustion.

"Your highness!" He rushed to his side and saw that the king's nose and ears were bleeding. The small trash can beside his desk was on fire. Hyukjae worked to quickly douse the fire with the small cup of tea that laid atop the desk.

"Shush, do not tell anyone of today. Take me to my bed." Donghai said weakly. Hyukjae took his arm and wrapped it around his shoulder, while his own hand wrapped around his waist.

"You trusted me today, your highness." Hyukjae said as he placed Donghai gently on his bed. The king gave a small smile.

"You finally proved yourself worthy. You stepped in front of a talented swordsman like Shindong. You could have been struck down in seconds and yet you never hesitated."

"I told you before your highness, my life is yours.'

"Your life is your own, Hyukjae. But I appreciate the sentiment." Donghai's eyes closed softly and gentle snores echoed in the room.

"Sleep safely, my king."