Chapter 1, Section 1: Before

Old Souls

In the olden years, there lived King Siwon and his kingdom, Meridia. His one and only son, bore by the late Queen Seohyun was Lee Donghae. 

 

"Donghai!" King Siwon called as he sat upon his golden throne. 

"Yes father" Prince Donghai appeared, standing firmly, his brown eyes focused. 

"I have a present for you. A companion. Your protector."

Donghai's eyes darkened. 

"I have trained him in secret for many years. He has studied amongst the greatest warriors, including myself. His name is Hyukjae."

Donghai snorted. 

"I've no need for a protector, father. I am capable of protecting myself."

"Your powers are uncontrollable!" The king said angrily.

"My powers are fine!" Donghai shouted. The curtains burst into flames. The guards surrounding the king acted quickly to gather water and disperse the flames. He crossed his arms over his chest, fussing. "That doesn't count."

"To hell it doesn't. You will learn the easy way or the hard way! Send in Hyukjae!" 

"But father-"

His words were cut short as a man a foot taller than himself strolled through the massive golden doors. Upon reaching where Donghai stood, he immediately kneeled. His face towards the ground. 

"Your majesties. You have requested me, your highness."

A smile appeared on the King's face. "Please stand up Hyukjae and meet your new liege, my son, Prince Donghai."

"Your highness, I am Hyukjae."

The young man stood upright, a sword resting on his side and smiled softly. His eyes connected with the prince, his grip on the sword tightening. 

"I've no need for you, peasant. A lowly imp standing before me. Such gratitude I should feel."

The King shook his fist in fury. "Enough! I have raised you to know better than that! Hyukjae, please forgive his harsh words."

The young man bowed deeply. "As you wish, your majesty."

The prince stormed off. 

"He means no harm, he is simply wary of outsiders. Do not take his words to heart." King Siwon sighed. He understood better than anyone, his son's temperament. After his mother, Queen Seohyun had died he had never been the same. His anger manifesting itself in abilities no one had ever seen. It caused him to be locked away and closely guarded within the palace. The kingdom knew of Prince Donghai, he was impactful, but they did not know him personally. For he was never allowed outside, least his powers harm another.

"I would never, your majesty. You have given me my orders, I will follow them."

"Thank you, Hyukjae. Please stay near him. I fear he may be in more trouble than I could ever know."

 

"Foolish father!" 

A rock was thrown across the pond. 

"How could he think I need protection!"

Another rock skittered across the pond before sinking to the bottom.

"I am capable of controlling myself!" 

A boulder flew into the air....

"You are, your highness."

....and crashed into the pond sending water flying onto the prince. EEK!

"Your highness!" Hyukjae rushed to the prince's side trying to help him. He had accidentally touched the sleeve of the young prince who pushed his arm aside.

"I do not need assistance." The prince brushed himself off, the droplets of water cascading down his forehead. 

"But-"

"Enough." The Prince held up his hand and began walking off, leaving Hyukjae as confused as ever.

 

"Steady, Donghai!"

The sword flickered in the prince's hand as he danced across the floor, his sword catching his opponent's sword, an old friend Prince Shindong. Back and forth the tango of fencing. 

"Balance your left foot, master."

Donghai was an adapt fencer, but he was hot-headed at times.

"Watch your left, master."

Donghai stumbled and so the game was paused. "I did not ask for your help!" He removed his helmet angrily.

"Prince Donghai, you mustn't be upset at the lowly slave. He was told to assist you by the great King Siwon.". Shindong, a fellow prince explained.

Donghai huffed and threw his helmet at the slave. "Enough of these games. I've a meeting with my father. Slave, Prince Shindong out. I've a busy schedule."

Both the prince and the slave bowed.

"Understood master."

"Lovely game, Donghai!" Shindong called out.

 

"Father, we must talk." Donghai exclaimed whilst taking his fencing gloves off. He was in the private chambers of the king.

"I agree. Princess Hyoyeon has arrived for the marriage arrangment." The King smiled warmly.

"Father....what?"

"You will agree for the sake of unification and to protect our people from an unnecessary war. They come before us."

Donghai threw his gloves on the floor. "Father you cannot be serious! Marriage!? First a liege and now this? Why are you doing this to me!"

"Donghai!" The King yelled, infuriated at his only son's behavior. "It is for your own good! Stop behaving like a petulant child!"

"You have isolated me and controlled me like a dog!" The gloves caught fire.

A blinding light filled the room, both covering their eyes. King Siwon slid off his chair and fell to his knees, clutching his chest.

"...you..." He groaned and fell to the floor.

"Father!" The prince called out and guards rushed in to his side. "Call the doctor now!"

 

"Sir Hyukjae?" The slave called out. Hyukjae was in the garden behind the castle, sharpening his sword with a small rock. The young man smiled at his name being called. "Please just call me Hyukjae. I am not a knight yet."

"The King has fallen ill and wishes to speak with you." The sword fell to the floor.

 

Hyukjae entered the king's room. The king was quiet and Donghai sat beside him unmoving.

"Your highness." He rushed over falling on one knee, bowing. The commotion startled the prince.

"How dare you enter my father's private chambers, peasant!" The prince stood up from his seat beside the king and angrily approached Hyukjae.

"Donghai, calm down. I asked for him." The king managed to say before bursting into a coughing fit. The prince leaned over him cautiously.

"Father..." The king placed a warm hand on his shoulder. "Give us some privacy."

"But-"

"Please Donghai."

The prince could see the worry in the king's eyes and reluctantly backed away. "I will be back, if you try anything peasant your head is mine." The prince left the room.

"He only means well. Forgive him and forgive me for what I ask of you."

Hyukjae remained kneeling, unsure of what the king would say.

"I need you to watch over him, remain by his side even if the world may turn against him; you must never do that. The same way I saved you, I ask of you to always save him. Never leave his side no matter what is to come. Never leave his side, Hyukjae. Do you understand me?"

Hyukjae remained silent.

"Do you understand me?" The king repeated more firmly. "I fear there is much more for Donghai to endure and I will not be by his side. Help him to become a great king and an even better person. And under no circumstance can he use his power, it would be far too great for him."

Hyukjae nodded his head in agreement, although unsure of what the king meant by his power. Did he mean authority?

"For my king, I give my word. For Donghai, I give my life."

"Thank you Hyukjae." The king took his final breath as Donghai rushed in and collapsed to his knees.

The candles in the room blew out.