You're My Rescue

Alive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Live. Live. Live. Live.
Live. Live. Live. Live.
SHINee's back.

The rain pours heavily as I wash the utenils after a sumptuous home cooked lunch while my friends chill in the living room. One of our B-side songs, Alive, plays in the background. Through the window just above the kitchen sink, I watch entranced at the dark gray scenery, slanted thick raindrops fall heavily on surfaces outside.

Despite the downpour and strong winds, a cool wind manages to enter the open window and gently caresses my warm skin. I look down to squirt watered down dish-washing liquid gel on the spoons and forks I have been washing. I was taken aback when a strong gust of wind blows violently at the curtains now fluttering erratically.

Is there a typhoon? I try to recall the weather forecast I saw just this morning.

I turn my head to my right when I notice something in my periphery on the counter beside the sink. A tiny pile of dried strips of grass looking like it came off a bird's nest now sits there. How did...it wasn't there before. I dismiss my thoughts by concluding it must have entered through the open window. An unsettling fear suddenly takes over me and I look back.

A strike of lightning slashes across the cloudy sky followed by crashing thunder. My mind desperately tries to process the scene unfolded before me. All my friends are lifeless. The lights flicker a few times running on low voltage then electricity goes off. I hear screams and wails outside, honking horns, someone frantically stepping on gas causing wheels to screech on cement...chaos.

My heartbeat pounds against my chest, tears threaten to roll down my eyes amidst sorrow and confusion. What happened? Why are my friends dead? Where am I? Am I dreaming?

I saw when the light was off
The floorless darkness
The only way to escape this place
Is to find you*

I hear my ringtone interrupt the dead silence in the room and chaos outside. My hands fumble to find my handphone at the counter while my body limply slides down, weak and trembling in fear. Once my phone is in my hands, I frantically swipe to answer the call, checking the caller being the least of my worries.

"Kibum?"

Minho. I let out a audible sigh. I am relieved to hear his voice at a confusing time like this.

"Good God you're alive." He also releases the breath he has been holding in. "Are you at your apartment?"

"Yes. All my friends are..." Lifeless. But I cannot bring myself to say it out loud. Tears now stream down my cheeks and I finally break down.

He hears my sobbing so he tries his best to reassure me. "Shh...Kibum. It's OK. I'm here. I'm heading there now. I'm getting you out of there. Please wait for me."

I hear honking noises on the other end of the line. "Minho?"

Silence.

"Minho? Minho!" My lips tremble as I desperately call out to him for fear another one of my dearly beloved might have been taken away.

"Kibum? Sorry. I just had to deal with something. I'm at the parking lot now."

"God, don't scare me like that." You're the only one I have left.

"I need to hang up now. There's a few zombies I have to fight through. See you there. Get ready. Pack what's necessary." Zombies?

"OK, be careful. I love you." My heart beats fast as I mumble the last sentence. Did he hear it? The phone beeped when I said it. I better get the things I need.

I get up, almost stumbling forward, but I hold on to the edge of the counter to keep my balance. Just then, I hear barking noises.

"Comme des! Garcons!"

Good Lord, they're alive! At least I still have them. They both tackle me and my face, definitely happy and relieved to see me.

Minho cannot say

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter