The End

Take you Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks flew by and it is finally the day of the tournament. As soon as you’re done with work, you hurry to change out of your work attire into a more casual wear. You’re not sure if there’s a dress code to watch a boxing match, so you settle with a black camisole top and skinny jeans. Your phone vibrates in your hand when you step into the lift. You read the message that says, 

Baekhyun : Look for Chanyeol when you get here. I’ve reserved a seat for you.

You: Okie. Thank you.

Baekhyun: Anything you want to say? I won’t be on my phone soon. 

You: Please don’t die.

Baekhyun: That’s...very encouraging. Thanks.

You: I’m serious.

Baekhyun: I won’t die, sweetheart. I promise. Gotta go now. I love you. 

The lift stops at the fourth floor where the obgyn clinic is located at. A young couple walk in with their hands intertwined. You greet them with a small smile and move back to stand against the elevator mirror. The couple starts chatting about the possible names for their future daughter, sounding so full of joy you can’t help but to break into smile behind them. You try not to squeal when the man gives her wife a loving kiss on her forehead. 

A ding echoes in the lift. The door parts open and you stay behind the couple as you walk out. You stare down at your phone while booking yourself a ride to the venue. It is difficult to find a driver at this time of the day, and when you finally found one, the waiting time is too long for your liking. You expel a sigh and walk out of the building. As you wait for your driver by the side of the road, you spot the woman you met earlier, except she’s alone. 

You sidle up to her. “Hi.” you give her your sweetest smile, hoping she doesn’t think you’re creepy. “Congrats on the baby.”

She blinks at you, confused at first, then she looks slightly embarrassed. “We were loud, weren’t we?”

“Nah, I was just eavesdropping,” you assure her. “Where’s your...” You’re not sure if the guy she was with just now is her husband or boyfriend. 

“My husband?” She says and you nod. “He went to get the car. It’s parked quite far away, and he doesn’t want me to walk the long distance.” She explains. “He can be...very protective of me.”

Your smile grows dreamy. “That’s so sweet of him.”

“I’m Sooah.“ she extends her hand. You take it in yours and introduce yourself too. As you retract your hand, her attention falls on the diamond ring on your finger. “Are you...attached?” 

“Ah, no,” you say. “It’s a birthday gift from my best friend.” 

Baekhyun has given you a Cartier love ring as a late birthday gift. You were shocked when you found out how much he spent. He said it is a gift, and a token of apology, but you have a feeling it means more than that.

“A guy bestfriend?” you nod at Sooah’s question. She gives you a knowing smile. “You know when a guy bestfriend gifted you with a diamond ring, it only means one thing. He loves you.” she surmises. “And judging from the look on your face, you love him too.” 

Somehow, you feel like a kid being caught red-handed. How can a stranger read you so well? “I do…” you admit. “But we’re not together or anything.”

“Why? Because you’re afraid if you ever start anything with him and it goes south, you’ll lose your friendship?” 

You are startled by her assumption, which is correct. You’re starting to think this woman can read minds. “Well, that’s one of the reasons.”

“My husband and I were best friends for a long time before we got together,” she shares. “We knew we were in love but we kept our feelings from each other for years because of the same reason. Until one day, we decided to get over our fears and take a chance, so here we are.” she stares down at her hand on her stomach with a tender smile. “Life is too short to live in fear, you know? You’ll never know when your time is up. Don’t you want to spend the one life you have with someone you love?” 

The second she finishes, a red Audi pulls up in front of you and you spot her husband in the driver’s seat through the windscreen. She bids a quick goodbye to you before getting in the vehicle. You watch the car drives away. While waiting for your ride to arrive, you let your mind wander to the conversation you’ve just had with Sooah. It isn’t a minute later when you hear the deafening sound of a horn that startles you. It is followed by the sound of screeching brakes and glass shattering. You focus your attention to the road before you. Moving vehicles are pulling into a stop. Then you shift your gaze down the road, and what you witness knocks the breath out of you. 

A red Audi.

Sooah and her husband.

Blood.

You’ll never know when your time is up...

 

 

Life is fragile. You never really understand the truth behind those words until now. You wipe the fallen tears off your cheek as you watch the tragic scene before you. How could this happen? Your chest hurt so badly you couldn’t take deep breaths. You were the one who called the emergency, but the couple were long gone when the paramedics arrive

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter