Brainstorming

Untitled - final v2(3).pptx
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was a special day at Dreamcatcher & InSomnia Company. When she woke up, CEO Lee Gahyeon felt even more generous than usual, and with the first anniversary of her company approaching fast, she thought she would reward her hard-working staff. So after she arrived to the company building on her brand new electric scooter, she immediately called her best elements to wait for her in the main meeting room.

“I hope we can finish this quickly, I have a lot of work to do,” Vice-head of division Dami said as she was typing on her computer. She raised her gaze from her screen to look at Head of division Swa, who was fast asleep sprawled on her chair, an elephant pillow secured under her head for extra comfort. She resumed typing at the familiar sight.

“分かりました. 大丈夫です. 다음 주에 보낼게요. 연락할게요. 네, 감사합니다.”

Team Leader Yoohyeon hung up and finished scribbling on her notebook. The sudden change of language called out to Accountant Dong, who was sitting next to the now slightly snoring Head of division. “I didn’t know we dealt with the Japanese. Are you closing a new deal soon?” Strange, she would have heard of it. She made a mental note to check payment regulation overseas for Japan, that could come in handy.

“We don’t, my client and I are just weebs flexing our language skills.”

Or maybe not.

“哎呀...” She let out, Team Leader Yoohyeon would get it anyway.

“Employee Sing,” Manager Jyu started to explain, whispering to not attract attention, “please refrain from speaking as much as possible, listen carefully to what’s being said and take notes. If you don’t know what to do, look at me and follow my lead. It’s not everyday we can participate in a meeting with the higher ups, so please, please. Don’t it up. ”

“Understood,” Employee Sing mechanically replied, imperturbable.

“Good morning!” CEO Lee greeted as soon as opened the door, making everyone quickly stand up. Head of Division Swa woke up with a start, struggled a few seconds to hide her pillow by sitting on it, then followed the rest to bow briefly. She glanced at her left to Employee Sing.

Was that new girl ever gonna stand back up? It felt more like she was resting her head on the table than bowing. She started to reach for her, but the woman finally got up.

“Great. I have summoned you all, and since there are only seven of us in here, by “all”, I mean literally everyone in this company...” CEO Lee stood at the end of the table, and took a moment to observe her staff. Something felt off.

“Why do we have so many directors and only one employee?”

The person on her right stood up as well, adjusting her glasses before speaking.

“We needed titles, President. You insisted that everyone should be reminded of their rank being below yours at all times.”

“Ah, you’re right Team Leader. Our conversations would surely be very boring otherwise.”

Pleased with the answer, she took a few more seconds to check up on everyone. At the other end of the table, she noticed the blue-haired employee timidly raising her hand, gaze down on the notebook placed in front of her. It was weird that someone so unassuming would choose such a vibrant hair color.

“Employee Sing, you may speak.”

“Ah, uhm, yes… Uhm, I've been wondering, aren’t you a bit young to be our direct- ouch!”

Manager Jyu was too late to hit Employee Sing’s leg under the table. If looks could kill, the newcomer would already be six feet under. 'What have I said earlier?!' she mouthed in silent rage and made a throat-slitting gesture.

“I apologize,” Employee Sing said bowing so fast her head made a thud on the table. That must have hurt. Still, she remained silent.

“Let’s get started.”

“Yes please. Some of us have work to do.” It was Vice Head of Division Dami’s turn to speak out, she was getting annoyed at the unnecessary talk. She was a busy woman and didn’t have time for idle chit chat.

“We’re working as we’re speaking, Vice Head of Division.”

“Yes, President Lee.”

“As you know, the company will soon celebrate its 1st anniversary…”

“YEAH, BAKSU WOOHOO!” Head of Division Hypewoman Swa shouted and everyone clapped.

After a while, President Lee made a stop gesture with both her hands and resumed her speech.

“As I was saying, the company will be one year old and out of the immense indulgence I have for you guys, and after the tremendous success of our inaugurating ceremony...” She dragged her words for suspense. “Let’s have a company party.”

“YEAH, BAKSU!” Another round of claps.

“What is our budget, President Lee?” Accountant Dong immediately asked.

“How about ₩1.000.000?”

Accountant Dong looked pensive. “To be honest with you, it might be a bit short.”

The President raised an eyebrow, so she explained.

“We usually have high... food expenses.”

“And why is that?”

“Well, sure there are only seven of us, but we have to take into account the fact that Head of Division Swa and Manager Jyu eat a lot. And that’s an understatement. The amount of food they eat is no joke. When we go to company dinners, with the two of them combined-”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter