Stress-Alleviating Practices

Untitled - final v2(3).pptx
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Switching the computer on, she let out a sigh. It also happened today. She looked at the screen, trying to keep her composure, but the situation was getting out of hand, she had to work. Reluctantly, she sat down and started her day, a tinge replacing the fluttering in her heart when the image disappeared.

 

 

Later that day, soft knocks were heard in the CEO’s office and the door opened shortly after.

“President?”

Said president didn’t need to raise her gaze from her screen to recognize the voice.

“Yes?”

“I have a rather… unconventional request regarding employee wellbeing. I’m confident it would be beneficial to everyone in this office.”

This sparked the CEO's attention as she always cared for her employees. She would never miss an opportunity to make their workplace happier.

“I’m listening.”

“Could we perhaps adopt otters?”

“Otters?”

“I mean, aren’t they the cutest thing ever? Truth is, I’ve had one as a lockscreen for the past few days, you know, the one that changes automatically, and it breaks my heart to even unlock my screen so I thought, why not have the real deal?”

The subordinate placed a file on the young president’s desk.

“Studies have been conducted, pets can act as stress-relievers at work. Concomitantly, setting my utmost attention on my screen for ten minutes every time I lock and unlock my computer, because of these beautiful mammals, is, I believe, highly counter-productive. For these reasons, I recommend having a real otter, or several for increased effects, so as to not occupy screen space, and ultimately, diminish productivity of our human resources.”

CEO Lee looked over the report briefly.

“Team Leader Yoohyeon, I reckon you are our best element. Without you, the company wouldn’t be where it is now. And I trust that you are dedicated to your work even without you using needlessly complicated words.”

Team Leader Yoohyeon nodded.

“However...”

She frowned.

"It should be brought to your attention…"

She gulped.

“You cannot even pet cats properly to save your life.”

“I-I can! I just don’t want to bother them.”

“Brushing them with the tip of your fingers does not account for petting, Manager Jyu sees you at the cat café every weekend.” The team leader froze. “No, let’s have a bunny instead. Let’s be realistic, bunnies are cute, and you can train them for obstacle race so they can stay in shape. They’re also so soft and fluffy and you don’t need an actual river for them to be in.”

CEO Lee then expanded on bunnies for roughly fifteen minutes, while Team Leader Yoohyeon just stood there, completely silent, lost in thoughts. She was stuck on the part about Manager Jyu telling their CEO that she goes to a cat café every weekend, because, well, why would she do that. And at which occasion would she have told her? She and Employee Sing were rarely invited to meetings. At the same time, they did assist the president a lot with secretary work - and opening doors for her, so it wouldn’t be completely unbelievable they had opportunities to exchange on non-work-related subjects.

“… also fragile in the heart, hence the significance of a balanced diet and proper training…”

But more importantly, she was also left perplexed about Manager Jyu seeing her at the cat café every weekend, which was high-key a tiny bit very creepy considering she herself never saw the other woman there. She felt sweat forming on her temple.

“You know, I’m glad we’re on the same page.”

The president had stood up and rest her hand on the team leader’s shoulder in a sympathetic manner.

“We’re adopting a bunny. You can decorate your desk with otter pictures if it helps.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter