New Beginnings

Silhouette {Joyrene}


Two Years Later

Joohyun

I sighed as I grabbed my luggage and made my way to the front of the airport. It's been two years since I've been back in this country. Korea is a place that I've stayed away from over the last two years. It just held a handful of bad memories. "Joohyun!" I heard a voice call out. I turned and before I could figure out who called me, a body wrapped itself around me. I almost fell trying to catch this person but realized who it was immediately.

"Hey Yeri," I smiled. She let go of me and let out a wide smile.

"I'm so happy that you're back! It's been boring without you," she told me.

"Where's Mom?" I knew that she could hear the worry in my voice.

"She stayed in the car. I was sent to come get you," she informed me as she grabbed my luggage. We walked towards the parking lot as she talked my ear off. Yeri is my little sister. She's just about to start her freshman year but she was still a baby in my eyes. After my father passed away, my mom got remarried and had her. Her dad left and never came back, so it’s just been the three of us. I found our car and saw my mom sitting in the front seat.

"Mom!" I hugged her but was careful not to hug her too tightly.

"Hi Joohyun," she rubbed my back before pulling away.

"You can go into the backseat. I'll drive us home," I offered. She knew better than to refuse me when it came down to this, so she did as I said. My mother had gotten diagnosed with stage two cancer a month ago. I took a year off from my photography job and moved back to Korea for the time being. My mom needed someone to watch over my sister and help her with her doctor appointments and surgeries, so I decided to pick up a job at the high school that Yeri will be attending. I'm the new teacher of their photography program.

"I can't believe that you're gonna be a teacher at my school," Yeri chuckled as she slid into the passenger seat and I pulled off.

"It's an easy job and I can keep a good eye on you so don’t think about doing anything stupid. You stay getting in trouble," I shook my head at her.

"It's not my fault that the teachers must try me. I will give you respect as long as I get some respect back. You have to earn it to receive it. It shouldn't be automatic," she went on.

"Alright Yeri." I pulled up to our house and helped my mom out the car. I helped her to her room before getting my things. I was unpacking as Yeri sat on my bed.

"So how has your love life been?" She teased. She's been so nosey in my love life ever since she found out that I was a lesbian. I don't know why it fascinated her so much.

"It's nonexistent," I spoke honestly.

"I call bull." I shot her a look at her language, but she just shrugged. She was a very free-spirited child and my mom didn’t do much to tame her.

"I'm serious Yeri. I don't even want a relationship right now," I sighed. Joy completely destroyed me. I was so in love with that girl and no one could ever amount to her. I tried dating other people, but I would just compare them to her. Then I made the decision to stop dating all together. I went back to my old ways before I met Joy and stopped letting people in. I put my wall back up and said the world.

"I swear ever since that girl, you've become celibate," she joked.

"I just don't want to be with anyone. It has nothing to do with her," I lied.

"Calling bull once again. You were in love with her," she pointed out. Yeri knew a lot about Joy, but I didn't tell her the real reason why we broke up. No one needed to know about that.

"Go to sleep Yeri. We both have a long day tomorrow," I told her.

"Alright, goodnight sis. I'm happy to have you back," she hugged me before disappearing into her room. I sighed as the memories of Joy hit me. Why did I have to fall so hard?

~~~

I had gotten everything in order as the bell rung. It's been a while since I've been in high school. Kids started walking into my class as I sat by my computer. This was just homeroom, so it wasn't a big deal. I waited until the bell rung once again to close the door. I walked in front and stood before the class. "Good morning class. I'm Ms. Bae and I'll be your homeroom teacher for this school year," I told them. I heard a book drop and looked to the back where the noise came from. A red-haired girl looked like she just saw a ghost.

"You okay Sooyoung?" A girl next to her asked.

"Uh yeah sorry." She nodded and then the attention shifted back to me.

"Alright, I'll began to call roll and then you guys can do whatever you want," I told them. I walked over to my computer and pulled up the attendance. "Kim Jennie?" I called out.

"Here!"

"Lee Siyeon?"

"Here!" I went down the list and got to the girl that dropped her book.

"Park Sooyoung?" I called out knowing that she was here. It was silent and it made me look up. She stared at me as if she was in a trance.

"Sooyoung? What's up with you today? She just called your name," her friend said.

"Oh here," she finally answered.

"Son Seungwan."

"Here!" The girl who was talking to Sooyoung said. I finished roll and let them have the rest of the class to themselves. I caught Sooyoung staring at me a couple of times and I was beginning to question it. Why was she acting so strange? Maybe I remind her of someone. The bell rung, and the class dismissed. Sooyoung shot me a curious look before Seungwan dragged her out the door. She did look slightly familiar, but I couldn't place my finger on it. I got through the school day and finally my last class showed up. I looked at the kids as they walked in and saw Sooyoung walk into the classroom. She has this class? She went to the back and people quickly moved out of the way for her as her friend followed. I called roll and surprisingly Sooyoung answered this time without a delay.

"Okay so this will be an easy day. I just want you guys to tell me a little about yourself. Tell me your name, age, your favorite type of photography, and why you like it," I told them. I went down the row, so they could each have a chance to speak.

"My name is Jeongyeon and I'm seventeen. I love landscape photography since I'm always outside. I like photography because my sister loved it. She moved overseas, and I guess it just reminds me of her," she answered. I shot her a small smile before the next person went on. I finally got to the back row and it was Seungwan’s turn.

"I'm Seungwan but I go by Wendy and I'm eighteen. I adore architect photography and I like photography because it's beautiful," she smiled. I looked next to her and noticed that it was Sooyoung's turn.

"I'm Sooyoung and I'm eighteen. I didn't really have a passion for photography until two years ago. A girl I knew was an amazing photographer and she took a beautiful silhouette picture of me. Ever since then, I fell in love with photography and silhouettes," she answered. She looked at me almost expecting a reaction.

"I love silhouette photography," I sent her a soft smile, but she just sighed in disappointment. I didn't understand what was up with that girl, but I almost felt determined to find out.

Sooyoung

I stared at Joohyun as she spoke to the class. She was still as beautiful as she was two years ago, if not more. "What about you Ms. Bae?" Jeongyeon asked her.

"Well my name is Bae Joohyun and I'm twenty-two years old. I love silhouette photography and I fell in love with photography when I was six. My dad was an amazing photographer and I was determined to keep it in the family when he passed away," she answered. She went on the rest of the class just talking. I knew Joohyun could be a little slow, but I didn't think it would be that hard to recognize me. Sure, I might have dyed my hair red, slimmed down, and gotten rid of my glasses, but I don't look much different.

"Okay this is the millionth time I caught you staring at that lady as if she was the most amazing person to ever grace the earth," Wendy told me.

"It's complicated Wendy," I sighed. She knew everything that went down with Joohyun. I needed someone to vent to and we've been friends since diapers, so I knew that I could trust her.

"Wait a minute," she froze and looked at me in shock.

"What?" I raised a brow.

"Is that the Joohyun you told me about years ago?" She whispered.

"How did you figure that out?" I scrunched up my brows as she gave me a knowing look.

"Seriously Sooyoung? You're staring at her like you love her. I can't believe that it's her. She doesn't even recognize you."

"And I plan to keep it that way. She doesn't recognize me so what's the point of making her mad? She would hate me all over again and then I would have to deal with that for the rest of the year," I shrugged. I stared at Joohyun again and I guess she felt my stare because her eyes locked with mine. She looked at me curiously, but I shifted my eyes to my desk. The bell rung, and I quickly shot up but froze when I heard my name.

"Sooyoung," I heard Joohyun say. My heart stopped at the sound of her saying my real name. It sounded so beautiful coming out of . I turned and stared into her eyes as people walked out of the classroom.

"Yes?" I questioned softly. My heart started beating faster and I was extremely nervous. Did she recognize me already?

"You left your binder," she pointed to my desk. I turned around and there it was. I was so focused on getting out that I forgot my binder. I went to the back and grabbed it before walking back to the front. "So, is there a reason why you've been staring at me and blanking out?" I heard her ask. I felt my heart stop when I heard the question. She noticed that?

"I'm just really out of it today," I brushed it off.

"If you say so," she spoke as if she didn't believe me. I wouldn't believe me either. "Have a good day Sooyoung," she sent me a small smile. She could do the simplest things and make it look so adorable.

"You too Joo- Ms. Bae," I quickly stopped myself from calling her Joohyun. She scrunched up her brows but seemed to not catch onto what I was about to say. I walked out quickly and met up with Wendy by my car.

"Did you tell her?" She asked me.

"No, I didn't. I almost ruined everything, but I quickly recovered. I'm losing it Wendy. Joohyun came back into my life and flipped it upside down," I sighed.

"That's what love does to you," she patted my back. I talked to her for a few more minutes before making my way home. I ignored the flashes of the cameras as I pulled up to my gate and went down my driveway. I got out of my car and heard the reporters.

"Sooyoung!"

"Is it true that your father wants to change the school system!?"

"How does your father think he's going to win!?"

"Are you going to vote for your father!?"

"What is your opinion on the campaign!?" I huffed and went into the house.

"If I see one more reporter," I mumbled.

"Well hello to you too dear," my mom chuckled.

"Make them go away," I pleaded. I was so done with coming home to this.

"They will go away after this race is over," she assured me.

"If he wins then it's only going to get worse," I groaned. My father is running for president. He has a huge chance of winning the race but that just makes my privacy go down. He recently said something about the school system that has everyone talking and now they won't leave my family alone. I went up to my room and spent the rest of my night thinking about my life. I love my parents simply because they chose to take me in when I could’ve gone into the system. They named me, fed me, and helped me grow into the young adult that I am now. I never had to struggle my entire life. When my birth mother died, they tried to find my birth father, but he was just a deadbeat. It hurts to know that he didn’t want me but I’m happy with the way I’ve turned out, so I can’t be too mad.

~

“So, are you finally going to stop staring at Ms. Bae?” Wendy teased as we walked into homeroom. I rolled my eyes and ignored her question. “She’s gonna eventually figure it out. I don’t understand how she could be so in love with you but can’t recognize you now. You haven’t changed in my opinion,” she went on much to my dissatisfaction.

“I don’t really know but I don’t care. Drop the subject Wendy,” I snapped slightly.

“Sorry,” she sighed and knew she hit a nerve. Joohyun was definitely a sensitive topic for me, but Tiffany did warn me that it would come back to bite me in the . I walked into the classroom and felt all eyes on me, as usual. I went to the back and took a seat while Wendy followed. I never realized why some people at this school looked up to me, but I didn’t care. My dad’s campaign is just making it worse. I stared as Joohyun stood in front of the classroom. She looked so beautiful and I knew that this year was going to kill me. How can I possibly stay in a class with my ex-girlfriend as my teacher? How is that even possible? She called out our names and I actually answered this time. She looked up once she heard my voice and seemed confused. I wonder if it was finally starting to click for her, but she just shook her head. I needed to make sure she didn’t remember me.

“You guys can have the rest of the time. Just don’t be too loud,” she said before sitting back down. I sighed and grabbed my bag before making my way up to her. “Can I help you?” She asked politely.

“I have an appointment with my counselor,” I said as I showed her my slip.

“Go ahead,” she nodded. I needed to get out of this class as fast as possible. I left and went to the counseling center. Before I knew it, I was sitting in front of Ms. Hwang.

“Stress seems to be getting to you. I’m worried for you Sooyoung,” she said the obvious.

“It’s senior year, it’s going to be stressful. I just want to stop being forced to go here,” I motioned to this office.

“Have you been eating?” She checked with me.

“Breakfast, lunch, and dinner,” I lied with a smile.

“Go to the nurse and have a weigh in.”

“Oh come on! Do I really still have to do this?” I complained.

“You’ll have to do it until you’re not passing out in the middle of the classroom,” she brought up the accident. I sighed and grabbed the pass from her before making my way to the nurse’s office. Why couldn’t I just have a normal senior year?

“Are you ready?” Nurse Kwon asked me.

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” I said softly before stepping onto the scale. I mentally cursed at myself when I saw my weight.

“You lost six pounds from the last time,” she shook her head in disappointment.

“Can I go now?”

“Eat this,” she instructed as she handed me a granola bar. I opened it and took a big bite.

“Happy?” I questioned while I forced it down.

“We can’t have you passing out Sooyoung. It’s your father’s strict instructions. He’s running for a very powerful position and you can’t ruin this for him. Just try to eat until he gets elected,” she propositioned.

“Everything is always about him, right? No one really gives a damn about me and how I feel,” I mumbled.

“Sooyoung.”

“I’m late to my next class. Can you give me a pass?” I interrupted her. I didn’t need the little inspiring speech right now. She wrote a pass and I quickly grabbed it before leaving. I felt dead inside and maybe that’s why I was known as the ice queen of this school. I never felt anything until Joohyun came in and changed my life. Now she hates me and I’m back to how I was. “So ing stupid.” I mumbled as I walked through the empty hallway.

“Are you okay?” I heard her voice. I turned and saw Joohyun standing in front of me.

“Don’t you have a class to teach?” I questioned dryly.

“I have a free block and I heard you mumbling to yourself. Are you okay?” She asked again.

“I’m fine,” I brushed her off.

“Alright,” she shrugged and walked away. I stared as I watched the love of my life leave. I’m ed this year.

 

Please excuse any mistakes