epilogue: good morning

on nights like these

Shuffling out of her room, Minnie yawns and stretches on her way to the kitchen. Miyeon trails after her, hair disheveled, eyes still half-closed. She reaches out to grab at her girlfriend’s loose tee, wrapping her in a lazy back-hug as the Thai woman gulps down a refreshing cup of water. “I can’t believe no one bothered to wake us up for practice today,” Miyeon mumbles.

 

Minnie hums in agreement. “Soyeon usually gets pretty cranky if we’re late. Do you think she slept in today?”

 

“That’s really unlike her, though.”

 

“Yeah.” Minnie plonks her cup down and turning around in Miyeon’s arms, gives her a morning peck on the forehead. “You don’t think she’s sick, do you?”

 

“I hope not. I don’t think we’ll be able to function properly if Soyeon’s sick.” With some difficulty, Miyeon detaches herself from Minnie’s embrace to check up on Soyeon. Gently knocking on the door, she pokes her head in. To her utter confusion, the bed is empty, blanket half-heartedly tossed aside, pillow missing. “She’s not here.”

 

“Huh.” Minnie scratches her head, still dawdling by the kitchen. “Maybe Yuqi would know. They’re always joined at the hip.”

 

Miyeon takes a peek into Yuqi’s bedroom before quickly leaning back out, blinking rapidly to confirm that her eyes are working. When she’s pretty sure they work, she glances in again, just to make sure she’s not hallucinating, then turns to gape at Minnie. “How did you know.”


“Know what?”

 

“They’re literally joined at the hip!” Miyeon whispers loudly. Perking up, Minnie dashes over to join Miyeon in the doorway of Yuqi’s bedroom. They both stand there, equally cheeky grins growing on their faces at the sight of Yuqi and Soyeon cuddled up together, sleeping soundly, legs tangled together.

 

“Quick, my phone!” Minnie hisses. Miyeon stealthily exits and returns with both their phones. Minnie takes photos of the incriminating scene and sends it to Shuhua and Soojin with heart and winking emojis.

 

Shuhua never disappoints; barely a few minutes later she comes barging noisily into the apartment, dragging Soojin by the sleeve. Miyeon has to jump in front of them to shut Shuhua up lest they wake up the lovebirds. Soojin shoves Shuhua into a chair, ordering her to sit and stay like she would to Haku or Mata. Turning to Miyeon, Soojin brandishes her phone. “I’m ready.”

 

Miyeon points her in the direction of Yuqi’s bedroom. Soojin tiptoes in, joining a manically grinning Minnie. As she snaps photos of Soyeon and Yuqi cuddling, a smirk grows on her face. God knows she can’t wait to tease and/or blackmail their leader - a favour per photo, she muses, would just be about enough. 

 

When Soyeon shifts in her sleep, Soojin and Minnie hightail it out of there. Not a second too soon, too, as the four of them start to hear hushed murmurs from inside the bedroom. 

 

Soyeon shuffles out first, and the rest of the girls immediately start fiddling with their phones. Soyeon glances around at them. “Why’s everyone here so early in the morning?”

 

“It’s actually half past one,” Shuhua supplies. “In the afternoon.”

 

Soyeon stares at her before emitting a simple ‘ah’. “Did we have anything on today?” she wonders half-heartedly as she stumbles into the kitchen.

 

Soojin and Miyeon exchange glances. Soyeon’s so clearly out of it that they’re starting to wonder what else happened last night. “We booked a practice room for ourselves, but nothing official or anything,” Soojin reminds her. Soyeon heaves a relieved sigh as she sips at some water.

 

“But, uh, seems like you slept really well,” Shuhua says. “Good night?”

 

“I’m sure it was, Shuhua,” Minnie chimes in. “She did sleep with Yuqi, after all - if, of course, sleep is all they did.”

 

Miyeon sighs at her girlfriend’s insinuation and pinches her nose bridge. Soyeon takes too big a gulp of water and starts choking. A loud bang is heard from the bedroom; Yuqi steps out, rubbing her forehead. “What are you trying to say, Minnie?” Yuqi whines.

 

“Oh, you know what I’m trying to say.” Minnie sends her a subtle wink.

 

Coughing and spluttering, Soyeon attempts to salvage some sort of dignity. “We didn’t do anything!” she insists hotly, her face flushing.

 

Yuqi fixes her with a pointed stare. “What, so we’re going to pretend we didn’t have our first kiss last night?”

 

“I-” Feeling all eyes on her, Soyeon fidgets, blush spreading into her ears and burning her cheeks. “I’m not saying we didn’t do that, I just, uh…”

 

“Oh, Soyeon’s embarrassed!” Miyeon points out gleefully. “Quick, everyone, photos!”

 

“That’s it!” Soyeon slams her cup of water on the kitchen table. “Extra recording and practice time for Miyeon, and for anyone else trying to take photos!”

 

Even in her sleepy state, leader Soyeon is still a force to be reckoned with. Miyeon wilts at the threat of extra practice, and the others immediately turn away, exchanging surreptitious glances with each other. Chuckling, Yuqi makes her way to Soyeon and wraps her arms around the smaller woman. She brushes her lips against Soyeon’s ear, tickling Soyeon with her breath. “Don’t be mean,” Yuqi whispers, sending shivers down Soyeon’s spine.

 

(Minnie sneakily takes a photo of the two while Soyeon is distracted.)

 

“Let’s grab a meal, everyone,” Yuqi loudly suggests to the other girls as she cuddles the blushing woman in her arms. “Just give Soyeon and I some time to get ready first.” Grinning, she plucks Soyeon off the ground, swinging her up into a bridal carry, and hauls the laughing woman back into her bedroom. The door slams firmly shut behind them.

 

The four girls stare at the bedroom door, all in various states of amusement and shock at the public display of affection. Despite not saying a word, the same thought flashes through their minds: they’re pretty sure neither Yuqi nor Soyeon will be coming out of the bedroom today.

 

Clearing , Shuhua awkwardly looks around at her group members. “So… What’s for lunch?”

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:
alright that's really it for this story! thanks for reading, everyone 
do leave a comment here or on twitter (@ashensprites) if you liked it, your comments always brighten my day~