Anemone

Let's Take a Chance on Happiness

Yuri started to distance herself from Chaeyeon, but the little girl cannot ignore her beloved mother completely. She still looks at her from the side lines. Like how a coach looks out for his team.

Chaeyeon had took notice of this. Strangely, Yuri has been acting a bit weird. She thought giving space for the child will help, but it was a wrong decision. Even tho Yuri is a bright kid, she's a mere child. Not capable of doing most things alone.

Yuri, came from school with a high fever, and being a stubborn kid she is, like her mother. She refuses to tell it to her aloof parent. When she reached home she hurriedly got herself into her room and locked it. Chaeyeon without having any slight idea— shakes her head and headed down the kitchen. 

It's been a year since Hyewon died and Yuri is now 9. Chaeyeon continues to distance herself but not that much anymore, even so. Yuri hasn't seen any improvements because:

1. Chaeyeon would rarely be at home.
2. Chaeyeon replaced her drinking habit with over-working.
Lastly, Chaeyeon got busier more than ever.

 

With this given, Yuri still thinks her Mama, is still that unsociable boss in her company.

 


-

 


Chaeyeon exhaled as she took a tray of freshly made food to her daughter. It's been so long since she's had the time to make something healthy for her beloved child, and somehow it's making her nervous to stand infront of Yuri's room with a tray that has a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and a plate of mixed vegetable omelette with kimchi rice on the sides.

 

"She's your child, Chae. So stop thinking non-sense. Ofcourse she's angry over the way you acted. But it's time to get onto your feet and start from scratch!"

 

Chaeyeon reprimanded herself as she heaves another deep sigh before she knocks on her kid's door. 

 

It took her a few more knocks before she just let herself enter little Yuri's room. She exhaled deeply as she saw Yuri hinding herself under the thick layer of blankets. 

 

Chaeyeon moves closer and put down the tray at Yuri's little study table— slowly, Chaeyeon made her way towards the edge of Yuri's bed. 

 

Yuri did not even budge after Chaeyeon sits at her fluffy matress. The child remained unmoving, like a rock. Chaeyeon could only shake her head as she continues to sigh. 

 

It's been a few minutes of silence, both of them not moving, until Chaeyeon felt hot. She stood up and suddenly eyes the airconditioner that was at the end of Yuri's room. It took her a minute more to realize that the cooling apparatus is off. 

 

This suddenly surprised Chaeyeon. 

 

Knowing Yuri. She hates hot places— with this Chaeyeon sense something is clearly wrong. She hurriedly walks back to Yuri's bed and flipped the thick covers from Yuri's body.

 

 

-

 


"Unnie!!"

 

A cheerful voice welcomed the woman who just got out of the departure area. It has been a year since she's gone from Korea, and now she's back.

 

"Yujinie!! I missed you." 

 

The woman ran towards the towering blue haired girl and gave her a tight hug. The latter could only smile and shy around the person whom she has a crush ever since childhood.

 

"So unnie, where are you staying?"

 

Yujin asks as she eyes the woman from the rare view mirror of her car. The latter smiles and pulled something from her purse.

 

"Well, I will be staying at a flat i rented at Jamsil-dong, but before that— how bout you take me to Busan first. I need to pay a visit. Ya know."

 

Yujin just smiled and nod. She then drove her way down south.

 

 


-

 

 


"Unnie, here. Have some coffee."

 

Wonyoung approach Chaeyeon whose sitting at the Hospital lobby. Chaeyeon looks like a mess, but this put a smile on Wounyoung's lips. She thought her beloved senior had forgotten about Yuri but looks like she really does love her daughter so much, that even a fever makes her look like she's about to lose another world.

 

"Thanks Wonnie."

 

Chaeyeon took the coffee and opened it. She takes a sip and exhaled a hefty amount of air. Wonyoung chuckles at her and continue sipping on her strawberry milk.

 

"Unnie. Don't worry. Yul is fine."

 

Chaeyeon smiles at the young doctor and held her hand. 

 

"Thanks Wonnie. Thank you for doing this."

 

Wonyoung could only shake her head and beam a bright smile. 

 

"No problem unnie. Im a doctor, remember."

 

 


-

 

 

"Minju!!?"

 

A loud voice shockingly named the person infront of her.

 

Minju smiles softly as she proceed to the counter.

 

"Hello to you too, Chaewonie"

 

Yujin then also greeted Chaewon while she busies herself eyeing each beautiful flowers.

 

"Chaewon unnie. Can you whip me up a good bouquet of roses? Perhaps."

 

Chaewon squinted her eyes towards Yujin. She knows that the younger has a huge crush on Minju and she can't help but be a bit suspicious towards the young one.

 

Yujin then looked at her confused, then suddenly it hit her. Her cheeks flushed red while she shook her head.

 

"It's not what you think!! It's for Hyewon unnie!"

 

Chaewon then soften as she gives Minju and Yujin a melancholic smile. 

It's been a year yet the pain hasn't disappeared fully. 

 

Hyewon has indeed had a huge impact towards them and it still pains them to remember that Hyewon, their most trusted unnie, their kind and caring friend has now left them and is never coming back.

 

 


-

 

 


"Hey bunny! Sorry but I think I'll be a little late on picking you up."

 

Wonyoung listens as Yujin stated from the other end of the line. The tall young doctor only nods as she pop out the lollipop from . She hummed in agreement and told Yujin to drive safely. 

 

After her little phone call, she immediately walk herself to Yuri's room. There she saw a sleeping Chaeyeon sitting at a stool with her head at the side of Yuri's bed while holding onto her daughter's little hand. A typical hospital scene but this is the first time she felt warm and soft towards such view.

 

She watch the both from the door and slowly walked her way towards the sleeping woman. She pulled the blanket at the couch and drape it over Chaeyeon's shoulder covering her body.

 

"Baby, steps. You are doing baby steps unnie, but it's okay. Take as much time as you need. We will wait until that day you can proudly visit her again and say infront of her that you conquered it." 

 

Wonyoung then gave her sleeping unnie a warm smile, as she slowly caresses her head.

 

"You did a good job keeping up with her Yul."

 

Wonyoung eyes Yuri whose murmuring some foods in her sleep.

Wonyoung could only smile. 

Yuri has Hyewon's gluttonous attitude.

 

 


-

 

 

Wonyoung is out on the lobby when Chaeyeon suddenly woke up. Chaeyeon looked at Yuri and smiled as she kisses the child's tiny hands.

 

She then exhaled and proceed to the lobby area to get coffee. 

 

Once she arrived infront of the vending machine, she started scrambling on her pocket for a little bit of penny to be used, unfortunately there is none. 

 

She exhaled and was about to walkout when suddenly a bill  occupied her sight. 

 

She is so puzzled, that after a few seconds she averted her gaze upwards only to be greeted by an old friend.

 

"Min...ju?"

 

"Wait...MINJU!! KIM MINJU!?"

 

Minju giggles and gave Chaeyeon a tight hug.

 

"hello to you too, unnie."

 

 

-

 

 

"Auntie!!"

 

Yuri squealed as she gave Minju lots of sweet kisses. The older woman giggle's at her niece's action that she too, planted a soft sweet kiss at the little girl's crown.

 

"So, minmin? Why are you back?"

 

Minju then averted her gaze towards Chaeyeon and jokingly gave the latter a pouting look.

 

"Did you not want me back here?"

 

Chaeyeon widens her eyes as Minju started to sulk and hang her head low. Everyone started to look at Chaeyeon, even her daughter started to look at her weirdly.

 

"Yah!! That's not what I meant!! I-...it was-...I mean you could have phoned us, so I could have picked you up."

 

Chaeyeon started to defend herself and Minju giggles after. 

 

"I was just messing with you unnie. Auntie wants me back to help you manage the business here in Korea. I know you can do it, but it's auntie's orders. She also wants to know how you two are doing."

 

Minju while looking at the mother and daughter tandem, explains. She then kissed Yuri on the forehead and walks towards Chaeyeon.

 

"Unnie, we need to talk."

 

Minju then looks at Yujin and Wonyoung whom just gave her a nod, before they can fully get out of the room, Wonyoung took something from her pocket and gave it to Minju.

 

 

-

 


"Why are we—" 

 

"I'll be straight to the point unnie."

 

Minju cutted Chaeyeon, she then proceeds to add another burden to her unnie, even tho she knows fully well how Chaeyeon has a hard time coping about her lost last year.

 

"The real reason why I am here is because auntie wants Yuri to go back with me to Canada. She has been on frequent look outs on the two of you, it was a disastrous year for everyone, especially you, but you have been neglecting Yuri for sometimes now, and Auntie doesn't want that. After all Yuri is the next in line for the Kang family. Even if she had took your family name we cannot change the fact that she is also a Kang. Your neglection over my niece has been very alarming to us, especially to auntie. That's why the clan has decided to take Yuri in for the mean time."

 

Chaeyeon suddenly shuts up as her brain started to process everything. 

 

Yuri, her only remaining pillar for sanity is about to be taken away too. With all this sudden information, Chaeyeon's emotions became overwhelmed. She hurriedly stride towards Minju and held her by the collar.

 

"What the is wrong with you!? I raised Yuri ever since! Who gave your damn family permission to take her away! I already lost Hyewon! I will not let anyone take Yuri too!"

 

With all her emotions gushing out her tears started to flow. 

 

Her grip on Minju's collar started to loosen.

 

"S-she...she's the only one I have left. Please. Not her."

 

 

 

-

 

 


"Excuse me, can I know where Lee Yuri's room is?"

 

A woman asks at the nurse station. 


She's carrying a bouquet of bright and cheery colored Daisies. 


As the nurses asks the needed information the desk attendant then pointed to where the room she was looking for. 

 

She's now infront of the elevator when suddenly a person bumps into her and made her stumble. She lost her balance but luckily someone caught her.

 

"Hey, miss. Be careful." 

 

 


-

 

 


"Auntie Bunny!! Can I have chocolates?"

 

Yuri asks as she plays on Yujin's switch. The young doctor just smiles and walked towards the the door, but before she could even twist the knob, the door slowly opened. Revealing Chaeyeon and an unfamiliar woman with a bouquet of flowers.

 

"Unnie? Who is she?"

 

Wonyoung blurted out, staring at the beautiful figure infront of her.

 

"Eunbi seonsaeng-nim!!"

 

Yuri almost jumped out of bed if not for Yujin who kept her in place.

 

"Hello, Yul. How have you been?"

 

The beautiful woman asks.

 

Yuri just gave her a thumbs up, she then whipped her head towards Chaeyeon whose dumbfounded at what is happening. 

 

"Mama, this is my teacher! Kwon Eunbi!"

 

Yuri introduced.

 

Eunbi could only look at Chaeyeon's direction and smile so warmly that the latter find it cute and endearing. 

 

She then returned the smile with a hand shake.

 

"Chaeyeon, Lee Chaeyeon. It's nice to meet you seonsaeng-nim."

 

 

 

==

 

 

Thank you for reading this update. It's not much but this will make things more interesting as we dive down deeper into Hyewon's family and Chaeyeon's struggles after her loss. 

 

I have also introduced another character which you all are so fond of~

 

Again thank you~ 

 

If you have any questions don't hesitate to put it on the comment box~