Purple Hyacinth

Let's Take a Chance on Happiness

Today tears flow at the same time the skies started to mourn at the lost of another angel, another loved one, another person's world. It's the day Chaeyeon has to say goodbye to her world, her savior. Her everything. It is time to say goodbye to her wife, Today is the day she bid farewell to Kang Hyewon.

Closest families and friends had gather to see her final destination. It hurts. It hurts Chaeyeon to see that her world will forever be just another memory.

After the ceremony her loved ones already left leaving her standing beside Hyewon's grave. Eyes and cheeks all puffy from all the crying. 

As the sky cries for her, she soaks herself in them not minding about getting sick or even dying at that very moment. She knows this day would come but she did not expect it to be this painful. 

"You prepared me for this. I know you did. But why? Why does it still hurt so much?"

Chaeyeon cries as she kneels at the muddy ground hitting the dampen earth where her wife lies.


Yuri her daughter whom was just 8 back then stands just a meter away watching her mama mourn over her mommy's death. 

It pains the kid to see Chaeyeon cry like that but, what can a mere 8 year old do. But to watch and shed a tear for both of her parents.


-


It's been weeks since Hyewon's funeral. Most people had return to normal.

Chaewon remained in Busan. Nako returned to Japan. Minjoo, Hyewon's cousin migrated to Canada a few days after the funeral. More or less everything settled back to their usual lives but Chaeyeon. She can't seem to let go. 

She fully knows even if she bawls her eyes everyday, none of those tears will bring Hyewon back. She fully knows that Hyewon wants her to be happy, but how? How could she? If the person that becomes her world is gone. Even the happy memories stabs her, no scratch that. Those happy memories stabs her more than the sad ones, because she knows it will never happen again. Those hugs, kisses and late night talks. Those trips and surprises. Everything. Everything will never happen again. She could dream all she wants, dream that Hyewon would be in her embrace smiling and snuggling onto her but when that dream ends and it's time to wake up, she knows all she would be seeing is that lonely cold side of the bed where Hyewon once gave warmth.


-


Months have passed yet Chaeyeon seems to fall even deeper into the abyss. She would usually go home later than usual, and most of the times she would wash her sorrows away with a few bottles of booze. 

During the time were Chaeyeon would sleep on their living room's cold floor, her daughter. Her 8 year old daughter would use all her strength to pull her drunken mother up the couch and cover her with a thick blanket to make sure her mother wouldn't succumb into the coldness.


-

Today is like the usual. Another drunk Chaeyeon slumping herself on the cold tiled floor as she cries Hyewon's name before she falls asleep. 

Yuri could only look at her mother from the stairwell. It pains the kid to see her dear mother whom was once full of love and adoration, succumb into sorrow and pain. Almost everynight since that day, Chaeyeon would cry herself to sleep and at sometimes she would throw a tantrum. 

When Chaeyeon once threw a tantrum while she and Yuri was alone in the house. Chaewon hurriedly came from Busan to Seoul because Chaeyeon almost killed herself and Yuri by throwing glass wares and other objects around.

Yuri could only sigh as she sits at the edge of the couch. She could only her mother's locks as she weeps in silence. Afraid that she might disturb her mother and broke her heart again. 

Yuri knows fully well how Chaeyeon loves her and if Chaeyeon sees her crying she knows her mother would break her own heart. 

Yuri is a bright child. She's keeping herself strong to support herself for her mom, but she's just 8. A mere child in the eyes of everyone and even in Chaeyeon's. No matter how strong she may look. She's still suffering more than Chaeyeon. 

Why?

She did not just lost her Mommy, she also lost her Mama in the process.

The lost of Hyewon made them lose the most important thing they have been keeping. 

Love.

After her death Chaeyeon never wanted to associate with anyone. Even her own daughter noticed how she distanced herself from everyone. Her smiles, her touches, her hugs. Everything changed. 

The geniunity of those actions feels so unreachable. They felt hollow and sad.


-


"Ya! Unnie! Stop mopping around! Look at your house it's a mess"

Wonyoung shouted at the newly awoken Chaeyeon. She never once thought her responsible and hardworking unnie would turn into such an annoying and irresponsible human being.

Wonyoung does understand where Chaeyeon is coming from, but this is making things hard for them, especially for Yuri. Wonyoung never once thought that Chaeyeon would have the heart to neglect her very own daughter— guess she's wrong.

"Auntie!!"

Yuri squealed as she approaches Wonyoung and hug the latter's long legs. Wonyoung could only ruffle the younger's hair and gave a comforting smile. She was about to also give Yuri a peck on the cheeks when a bottle of J&B rolled infront of the two younger people inside the living room. 

Wonyoung could only sigh as she picks up the green empty bottle of whisky and put it aside.

"How long are you going to keep this up?"

Wonyoung asks in sorrow while Chaeyeon looks at her— hair all messy and eyes darker than the midnight skies.

Wonyoung could only shake her head when Chaeyeon did not give her an answer. Instead the older grabbed the nearest bottle with Egan's written on it and tried downing the bottle in one go. 

After downing the bottle in half. Chaeyeon released a pitiful exhale, she averted her gaze towards the two humans beside her.

"Oh, wonnie. You're here."

Chaeyeon sheepishly smiled at her dongsaeng. She then took a minute and stood up to pat Yuri on her head.

"What time is it?"

She continues as she rubs her eyes while walking towards the kitchen. She opened the refrigirator to get some milks and store bought cookies.

"Yul, here's your breakfast."

Chaeyeon put down the little plate she filled with dry store bought cookies and and the glass of fresh milk on the kitchen counter.

Yuri eyes her mother with disappointment written all over her face, but she kept her facade and run towards Chaeyeon to thank her for the not so wonderful meal.

Wonyoung took notice of this and slowly approached her senior. She patted the latter's shoulder and dragged Chaeyeon to her mini office. 

Once the doors are shut, Wonyoung glared at Chaeyeon whose still invested in her liquor.

"Unnie! What the hell is happening to you! Look at yourself. You're a mess!"

Wonyoung spits at Chaeyeon as if they were poisonous liquids but the latter did not even paid any attention and continues to drink the whisky she's holding.

With all the emotions boiling up inside Wonyoung the younger could not contain it anymore and pulled the bottle from Chaeyeon's hand— threw it towards the empty bookshelves. With all the unwanted emotions gushing out. Wonyoung couldn't help it and started tearing up. Only then, did Chaeyeon started to take a look at the younger with guilt written all over her.

"Why are you doing this unnie! We all lost a part of us when Hyewon unnie left. We all share the same burden! So why? Why are you making this hard for everyone!? We want to help you unnie. We really do. But how can we do that if you don't want to help yourself!"

Wonyoung had lost all her self restraint and started crying her heart out. She wanted to say all this to her respectable senior yet she can't seem to find the right time, but now. Now that she's been pushed into the edge of a cliff. Everything starts falling and the only thing she can do is release it without thinking what would Chaeyeon feel. She can't stop the tears she has been holding back since Hyewon left to a better world. 

"Unnie. You mourn for her, but have you ever knew how I felt. I was her doctor. I was suppose to save her. I was suppose to prolong her life. I was suppose to get her back onto her feet so you and Yuri can live a happy life with her until you two get to see your grandchildren, and for your hairs to grow gray together, but unnie. I-I let her disappear. I let her get away from my grasp! I failed her. I failed you! But I kept my head high. Because I don't want Hyewon unnie to be sad. I don't want her to be crying while she looks down on us from above!"

Wonyoung continues as she held onto Chaeyeon's shirt while she kneels down. All her strength seems to fly away, making it hard for her to breathe and speak. 

With a muffled voice she then again looked into Chaeyeon's guilt filled orbs.

"Unnie. H-hyewon u-unnie. S-she hates you now. Y-you are not the C-chaeyeon she knew. You're a different p-person now."

After that. Wonyoung slowly lift herself up with the help of Chaeyeon's shirt. When she had put both her feet on the ground, she slowly releases her grip from Chaeyeon's shirt and gave a sad look at her senior.

"I-I hope you find happiness."

With that Wonyoung slowly walks herswlf towards the door while small hiccups can be heard from her thin frame. Before she opens the door. She composed herself and beamed the fakest bright smile she can for the little Yuri to not have any questions.

-

Yuri knew what happened. She knew her aunt Wonyoung cried her heart out. It shows on her redden and puffy eyes, her swollen nose, and her suddenly hoarse voice. 

But her being a good kid shrugs it off and averted her gaze over her mother whom was hanging her head low, with little sunlight entering her little office. Yuri can still clearly see the tears falling from Chaeyeon's guilty eyes.


-


It's been a few weeks since Wonyoung's visit. 

Chaeyeon started to stop drinking but her, being aloof still stands. Yuri knows fairly well that her mother is taking her time— thinking of possibilities, of what ifs. Trying to come up with something that will help her ease the pain, but luck is not siding with them. 

Still Chaeyeon stopping her drinking habit is also a good step towards improvement. The only thing stuck in the 8 year old's head is how she will maintain that non-drinking habit of her mother.

"Mama! Lets play catch."

Yuri muses when she saw her mother approaching their cellarette.

 Chaeyeon didn't even spare a look at her daughter and continues walking towards the cellarette.

"Why? Why are you like this Mama? You promised Mommy you'll get through it. I heard you say it! I heard you say you'll be strong for us, but why!? Why do you keep being weak like this? If Mommy was here! She'll never forgive you!"

Yuri shouted which took Chaeyeon aback. She stares at her daughter's retreating back with tears flowing fron her hazelnut orbs.

After Yuri entered her room, Chaeyeon slowly lets out a sigh and continued walking towards the cellarette. She then pulled Hyewon's favorite champagne— an empty bottle of Laurent Perrier. 

"Im sorry love. I did not mean to be like this. To be weak. I did not mean to be so broken."

After Wonyoung visited. Chaeyeon has gotten an ephipany, without Yuri noticing.

Chaeyeon then took the bottle close to her and hugged it as if her life depends on it. 

Inside the green opaque bottle is a rolled up letter. It's a letter from Hyewon which Chaeyeon still hasn't have the courage to read, but one day.

Chaeyeon promised that one day, she'll open it and will proudly read the letter of the person she once called her world.

 

-

 

Thank you for waiting. Im sorry it took long for me to update. This will start off as a bit angsty, for I planned to showcase how broken and lost Chaeyeon is. Also this little sequel might end up with 3 shots, but who cares. Im going to update this as soon as possible~

 

Thank you again. Also I hope you get to put some comments, I want to know if I did conveyed the feelings of being lost and broken well enough~