mihyun [i've been always dreaming]

twice bites

Mina has been wondering, for the longest time, what does it feel like to be in love? There are some nights that she will lie awake on her bed, ears on her love songs playlist, asking these questions. Every of her friends experience that kind of feeling except her. Well, she could blame it to her personality that is most likely different from everyone or simply put... she's weird. Yes, she gets confession and admirers but no... she can't find the love she's looking. She can't find the thing that her friends have been feeling when they met them. She just can't see it at all. As much she wanted to be in relationship, to be loved, to be taken care of.... she doesn't have a power to do so... So when she received an invitation to a party that she barely knew, it is actually her classmate's party, Minatozaki Sana's birthday she easily decided that she won't go there because why she would go to an event that she doesn't want to go, right? She don't like people, crowds, noises, loud musics, heat, drinks, socializing and list can still go on if you let her enumerate all of the reasons why she don't like to attend parties but something caught her eyes when she noticed that it is not from Minatozaki Sana herself but from someone...someone who likes her even she's like this kind of person who doesn't want anyone in the first place, like they really don't know what kind of a person she is... She wants to laugh, back in her mind there's always an echo telling herself that this person too will stop trying. No one is patient enough to stay after ignoring them. Mina is very amused while she's looking this letter on her hand but her friends' pleas telling her to go for once and try this guy, girl or whatever they are because they want happiness for her. She's trying, okay but her nature seems doesn't want to take a change. It's really difficult for her. Take as an example on what her every friends did so they can convinced her, first one is her Nayeon unnie. Nayeon is the one who notice her secret admirer's little detail at the back. She loudly gushed as soon as she sees it.

 

 

Nayeon squealed, earning looks from her friends, "Minari, this one came from your admirer!!! She wants you at the party!! Read the message!!!" She shrieked then she handed the piece of paper to the confused girl. 

 

 

Nayeon read the letter out loud, Mina just want her unnie to go away this time but she can't... She knew Nayeon  is unstoppable. 

 

 

 

Dear Princess,

I know that this is a bit troublesome for u but I wanna invite you to Sana's party this coming weekends. Don't worry, she knows it! She's very excited when I was just planning to ask you out. I promise you that you'll have a great time! Ps. You could bring your friends with you so you can be comfortable going there. Pps. My favorite song is dreams are my reality... I've been dreaming to have a moment with you, princess. Will you accept it? Your answer is when you are going or not :) Hoping so bad to see you there...

 

From your not-so-tall charming knight who likes you and your cute pengu being,,,,

 

 

 

 

"This screams so gay and soft, Minari... I bet this admirer of yours is hella cute, betting 20 bucks for it."

 

 

"You can't tell their personality based from a letter, Nayeon unnie..." Mina folded the letter and put it back on the envelope. "Besides my mind is already have decided that I won't be going there regardless how nice and beautiful girl they might be... I hate parties you know all that, she should use other tactics... My first impression on her will be the last one, worst... she didn't know me all too well, I don't attend parties."

 

 

 

"But Mina, this is a chance! Date once before we graduated! Go out! Be reckless once!" Nayeon encourage her, "Don't you want to meet someone who you knows like you?"

 

 

"I did meet some but didn't like having them..." Mina's words ruthlessly came out from lips as she fix her locker. 

 

 

"My intuition is always amazing, Mina. This time... I can feel that one will be your love of your life." Nayeon exclaimed right in front of her face. "You should go try and see! Nothing to lose there! You have us if it went bad, you know..."

 

 

"But, unnie.. parties---"

 

 

"I know but Myoui... just do this once... ask everyone around you about this and come back to me what they say, I bet they want this for you..."

 

 

 

The second one is her another best pal Jihyo who did think it's also great for her to meet this mysterious letter sender. "I think you need to find new friends..."

 

 

"What? I'm already fine with you, Nayeon and Jeongyeon unnie!"

 

 

"But still, your social capacity should never stop right at us, explore more... spread yourself with people, you'll find the best people for you...." Jihyo said with warming smile, Mina takes that Jihyo wants this for her too. She mentally noted that two people have already agreed. 

 

 

Third ones are Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung whose she spotted eating together at the cafeteria, she quickly dove the situation in their faces and they broke into widest grin ever had Mina seen on them. 

 

 

"If I were you, I won't hesitate to go..." Jeongyeon stated calmly before spooning her rice that soon goes into , chewing slowly as they listen Chaeyoung's comment, "Unnie, that's kind of unusual but very intriguing... I will go too to find this person who has a nerve asking you out in a party that you are not closely associated at all except sharing with the classes."

 

 

 

"I don't know, you know me I don't like this kind of events... but Nayeon and Jihyo told me to go for it since it won't hurt to see and maybe try this thing with this 'not-so-tall charming knight who likes me and my cute pengu being'" Mina emphasizes the last statement using her fingers. 

 

 

"Then we're in for this too... We're here for you if something happens, we'll protect you, Minari. We just want to see your romantic side." Jeongyeon says with a hint of tease. Mina could only pout, she can't believe her friends.

 

 

 

Okay, four is on the line, I can't believe they are supporting whoever of this person. They should have been thankful for my friends then.

 

 

 

The fifth one, her favorite dongsaeng, her co-member in gardening club, Chou Tzuyu who's eyes widened in shock and happiness flows out of her as she shakes her unnie in excitement, very very different from the usual Tzuyu she knew, "You should go, unnie! I need a sister in law!"

 

 

"What Tzuyu-ah? You're ridiculous!" Mina laughs at her statement. Tzuyu just clung on her side, stops the shaking as she says, "I want you to get gf or something, unnie.. You need dating exposure at once! This is a golden opportunity for you."

 

 

"Ahhh not you too..." Mina facepalms, everyone seems want her to get this. "We just don't want you to get old without having those feeling, you know. Know what is really love, Mina unnie... We're here to catch you if you failed to know..." 

 

 

 

Five! Five people is not in her favor! The audacity! She'd be lying if she says her feelings doesn't hurt even a bit because it means that she has been wrong all along with this decision.

 

 

 

 

 

As Mina walks, an imaginative light bulb popped on her mind. She smiles with that brilliant idea, steps rushing to their classroom seeing people are in their own worlds, Mina slumps down on her desk. She turns to her seatmate who's been cracking a stupid joke to her friend, Momo. Mina doesn't know what got into her to tap her, calling her seatmate's attention.

 

 

"And I was like you fool can't fool the almigh--what do y--"Her seatmate stop talking, looks up to meet her eyes. Eyes almost turning into crescent, grins so wide, face lighting up, she can beat sun at this point, Mina admitted. The soft whitey cheeks stretched making Mina coos internally how cute her seatmate looks right now, maybe... no she always looks so cute and cool at the same time. 

 

 

 

 

"Hi, Minari." She greets her with a little wave in front of her face. 

 

 

 

Kim Dahyun, her seatmate for already five months, the class clown who loves to make everyone laugh, a sunshine in their 4 cornered boring room, the social butterfly. Despite of loving to joke, never or even once Dahyun make a joke on her, she just let Mina as she is, she's not the type of annoying person who always want her to talk because let's be honest, she hates social interactions and Dahyun respected her with that, that's why Mina may or may not have this hidden admiration towards her seatmate. Kim Dahyun is just an amazing person, overall. 

 

 

 

 

"Hey, Dahyun..."she greets back with a little  small shy smile, berating herself. 

 

 

 

 

She thought that asking for her thoughts about confession she received earlier since her friends knew her truly but this time she wants to ask an opinion from an outsider what she would do or if she were her. 

 

 

 

"Sorry to interrupt your story time with your friend but I might need a help from you.."

 

 

"Oh a help! Sure! I won't mind, my lovely seatmate!" Dahyun enthusiastically answered her, her glinting eyes are all on her which makes Mina felt relieved that her seatmate is willing to help her.

 

 

 

"Oh thank you... the thing is I've this confession letter this morning and I'm torn of accepting this because of what this person asking from me which is a big issue for me since I don't like parties at all, like you know I don't talk too much, I hate socializing, drinks and noises... basically I don't like what they are proposing to me but my very concerned friends told me to go for it to find out what this will be...I just wanted to know if you were-----"

 

 

 

Dahyun abruptly interrupted her with a serious tone, "Then don't go, easy as pie."

 

 

"Huh?"

 

 

"You've said yourself you don't like it, your friends are the only ones who wants then they should go to the party, not you. Don't force yourself. It'll be really useless and unfair to the person who likes you, that's more painful than not going..." Mina is startle with the chair screech when Dahyun stood with type of expression she couldn't paint on her face, it's her very first time to see Dahyun like this, who's always beaming in sunshines and rainbows.

 

 

 

"Maybe mood swings or I triggered something..." Mina whispered herself before she decided to just take a nap, not wanting to think about this matter anymore. 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, Momo eavesdrop on their interaction all these time, she could only deeply sigh, feeling sorry for her dorky friend, "Poor Dubu..." 

 

 

******

 

 

Later that night, Mina stares at the paper, studying the handwriting because somehow it is quite familiar to her eyes, she couldn't just pinpoint whose handwriting exactly this is. 

 

 

 

"You feel like you are so near to me yet so far, doing these instead asking me personally...." she whispers then she added, "I'm just scared who are you... Maybe if I knew I won't be having a hard time to decide..."

 

 

 

Go for it!!!!!

Then don't go, easy as pie...

 

 

"It's true that I don't like it but there's a bumbling feeling inside me wanting these too. Maybe they are right... I need to go and try. I need to get out of my comfort zone. I need to know what is really love..."

 

 

 

Mina tucks the paper back at the envelope, she texts her friends about her decision and they are more than happy about it. 

 

 

 

*****

 

The party is boisterous. Almost everyone in their batch is in the area. Well, Minatozaki Sana is the friendliest person you would ever meet, no doubt that her special day is spent like this. 

 

 

"God, why she needs us to dress like this? It's just her birthday, not some halloween party.." Jeongyeon hiss while seeing everyone dressed up like in movie characters. She dressed up as Romeo meanwhile her girlfriend, Tzuyu dressed as Juliet. Nayeon's wears a uniform that looks like in the movie, Princess Diaries. Chaeyoung's Matilda, Jihyo as the lead girl in Love Letter while her, her very own friends made her wear like the girl in the movie 'Laboum' because of the implication of her mysterious admirer in the letter that her favorite song is a sound track in that movie which means Mina needs to dress like that. Mina fully surrender herself in her friend's hands, she just can't argue with them anymore. All she did is just agree and do what they want.

 

 

 

"Your admirer knows the best for you, I mean wow, you really resemble like her and the hair, you are really shining tonight...." Nayeon complimented her, brushing her hair from the back, making Mina flushed at the compliment. It's very rare occurrence for Im Nayeon to say pretty to the other people besides her. She must really mean it. 

 

 

 

"I think she might got in love with you because you look like her in the movie." Chaeyoung pointed out while handing the drinks to them, Mina gratefully accepts it in smile. 

 

 

 

"So what now? We're here and Mina unnie's here.. What do we need to do?" Tzuyu asked.

 

 

 

"Good question, Tzu. I think we need to scatter around the place." Jihyo answered, "Now you know the drill, Myoui?"

 

 

 

Mina could only nod, her tiny hair in her fringe falls near her eyes. "I'll call you when something bad came up..."

 

 

 

"Good girl, now let's enjoy the party..."

 

 

With that cue, her friends true to their words have gone in the wind and go to other directions, leaving her only stuck in the same spot.

 

 

She looks around the place, Sana's house is quite big is understatement. It's freaking huge, she believed! With the number of people she sees, she thinks the capacity this house could hold could be over hundreds of people for crying sakes! It is only inside the house, how bout the backyard that she can see as it is open out where a dazzlingly clear pool awaits with another small building ahead of it, Sana is really wealthy. She can get everything she wants at this point. 

 

 

 

 

Mina realizes that she’s taking way too long just standing and looking around at the house while her heart is starting to beat a little too anxiously because she's all alone, and that’s her cue to get a drink again.

 

 

 

"I just need to bear this for few hours..." Mina thought to herself. With a deep breath, she begins to walk toward the bar. Unfortunately, the world seems unfair on getting in Mina's way at any turn as she bump someone because her head is clearly distracted with the thoughts in what ways she will do to waste hours here at the party. 

 

 

 

 

"Sorry, I didn't see you quite well. It's kind of dark." The person she bumped said in soft voice, head hung low. Mina recognizes that voice quickly, it made her felt relief because besides her friends, this person was also invited.

 

 

 

"Dahyun!" 

 

 

The said girl quickly raised her head, eyes widen while looking at her as if she saw a ghost, "M-Mina? Mina? MINA?!" 

 

 

 

Mina giggles seeing Dahyun over-exaggerated reaction, shocked painted all over her face. Mina thinks she looks so ridiculous. "Hey, what's wrong? Don't you like to see me here?"

 

 

 

"No! No! I'm very surprised! Wooh! I need some drink to calm me down..." Dahyun eagerly tried to run when Mina stops her by holding her wrist. "Well, I'm getting one too and on my way there. Let's go there together. I need some company."

 

 

 

Dahyun sighs heavily then she answered defeatedly, "Uh yeah sure sure... Come on." 

 

 

 

Mina beams her famous gummy smile, making Dahyun stunned and got lost in it. She cursed inside her head. No, Dahyun, it's not a good time yet... She looks away, face towards their way to the bar. 

 

 

 

On their way there, Mina notices Dahyun's clothing is like came from an old movie too, as she wears a simple checkered blue bottom up shirt like a guy who came from 70s. It makes Mina wonders whose the movie character she's trying to copy. Before Mina could ask, they arrived at the bar. Dahyun asks for a cranberry juice immediately from the bartender. 

 

 

Mina requested an iced tea for herself. They both sat as they wait. Mina looks at Dahyun whose eyes are flying across all over the place as if she's looking someone else in desperate eyes, it makes Mina wonder why.

 

 

 

"Hey, Dahyun. You okay?"

 

 

 

"Uhm yeah of course, I am. I'm okay..." Dahyun nervously smiles with a chuckle, Mina describe it like a dry chuckle how she looks so stiff and awkward. Dahyun's not like this. She always emits confidence. This is a first. It feels weird. 

 

 

 

 

"Whatever you say. I'm just worried at you. You look like you will faint sooner. Are you expecting something to happen tonight or someone? Why so nervous?" Mina can't help to ask. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Ughhh this is so embarassing..." Dahyun mumbles between her palms as she covers her whole face. Mina raised her eyebrow in confusion. Dahyun looks very troubled. As a good seatmate, she offers "Hey, maybe I can help you too besides you did help me to get here!"

 

 

 

Dahyun peeks out, "How so?" Then she added, "I told you not to go, clearly I didn't convince you to be here."

 

 

 

"Well right you told me not to go but also I realize something too from your opinion so don't ever throw my help. You've been very kind to me, Dahyun-ah. I want to give back."

 

 

 

Dahyun removes her hands, pouting as she have no any choice left but to conduct her plan tonight but it seems it will be quite different as Myoui Mina, the girl she's been crushing on since when god knows how long has it been, she's not sure but she have been er on Mina's cute pengu walk and big gummy smiles long time ago, offering her hand to end her big turmoil that has been going inside her head as soon as her eyes laid out on the girl in front of her who wears the matching look with her in the movie she implied in the letter. 

 

 

 

 

"So what? What's going on with you?"

 

 

 

"There's someone who I like... I----I invited her here."

 

 

 

Mina nods in understanding. The girl is sure lucky because she makes Kim Dahyun worked up. "I saw her earlier. I---I just can't believe that she will show up after all she thinks I'm quite of weird person because you know, I do weird things everytime. I just don't have enough courage to be with her because I feel like anytime soon I would faint." 

 

 

 

"Awww! That's cute of you, Dahyun." Mina's eyes twinkles while staring at her with admiration. Dahyun coughs lightly, rubbing her hands to shake those nervousness all over her body. She looks at the girl warily that seems like she don't notice the details as Mina tries to cheer her up with her words. They stay at the bar for the while, Dahyun needs time to execute her plan and she can't leave Mina like this whose absorbed right now talking about some of her favorite movies.

 

No , Sherlock. She's been enjoying herself talking with her too. She can't just reject Mina being talkative once in their lifetime, she feels honored as the girl kept talking but she feels suffocated because damn, she's with her best girl. She needs a breather or someone she could hold on to this crazy situation. 

 

 

 

All I thought she won't be here so I'm planning to just get wasted and move on but look at now, she's in front of me, doing some things in my poor heart. 

 

 

 

"I need a good walk, Minari." She blurts out, halting Mina's words. "Oh can I join too? My is going to be numb, we stayed here for an hour I think."

 

 

 

God, why she's making it so hard for me?

 

 

 

"Uh..." Dahyun contemplates before she throws the idea of rejecting the girl because she doesn't want to hurt her feelings. Okay, tortured yourself more, Dubs. "Sure! You're quite clingy to me, huh."Dahyun teases with a sloppily raised eyebrow.

 

 

 

"Haha, it's because I know you need me because what if you bumped to her of course you need a support system by means me..." 

 

 

 

 

"I actually did, that's why I freaked out." Dahyun dropped the bomb, she thinks she can't bare this anymore. She never imagines how her girl can be seriously oblivious.

 

 

 

Mina laughs abruptly, "Now, you have me. You won't be freaking out. We should head now, shall we?"

 

 

 

They both got up, walking towards outside of Minatozaki's residence. 

 

 

"Dahyun?"

 

 

"Yes, Mina?"

 

 

"I heard that you are the light on every party, is it because your girl is here that's why you behaving well?"

 

 

 

"Uhhmmm could be... but really... what's the use of it when all I want is to be get noticed by my crush... I enjoyed this more than partying, dancing and all. I mean she doesn't like it those so I understand." Dahyun almost lose her footing with what she said, that statement is a TOTAL BIG TAKE AWAY that she's talking about her. She wants to shut up.

 

 

 

"Am I bothering you? Maybe you should go to her. Sorry, I'm insensitive by sticking with you." 

 

 

 

Dahyun wants to say it's okay but time's running, the party will be over. She needs to tell Mina so she decides, "It's okay, Mina. I understand you want a company. Maybe I should do what I need to do, Minari. Thank you, really." Dahyun holds her hand, squeezing it hard before letting it go. 

 

 

The smile she gives Mina is enough to make Mina smile back, albeit a small one. But that’s okay.

 

 

"You should look for your admirer? The one you asked about me. Isn't that the reason why you are here?" 

 

 

"Oh right! I totally forgot it! You're right! My friends are going to kill me when they find out that I don't do any effort to look for them. We should chase our love related duties." Mina exclaimed, Dahyun smiles at her again, "Hopefully you like them back." 

 

 

"You too, Dahyun. I hope she likes you back."

 

 

Mina felt something wrong inside after saying it.

 

 

****

Mina starts wandering around the place, she needs to finish the business or else, she would be damned. Why? What's the reason? It's not because of her friends. It's because of certain someone who's running in her mind all these time.

 

 

 

How is she? Did they already meet? Is she treating Dahyun right? 

 

 

 

Mina doesn't know what she's feeling. When Dahyun said that she likes someone else, there's a feeling a punch in her gut and make her said internally, 'ah she likes somebody else, of course everyone would like her back because she is Kim Dahyun'

 

 

While her eyes searching all over, she sees Dahyun dancing with someone. Mina thinks that's the girl Dahyun has referring to. 

 

 

 

Lucky you....

 

 

 

Mina is so sure Dahyun will be taken tonight with how amazing she bring herself in every conversations like hello? Dahyun is a good talker, she probably get the girl around her fingers. Just like her. She's wrapped under the spell of Kim Dahyun's kindness and warm heart. Mina didn’t want Dahyun treating anyone like the way she treats Mina. She wants it only applied to her. 

 

 

Mina walks towards the dancefloor, maybe her admirer is right there. She thinks she needs someone to hold onto like the Dahyun holding this girl. She doesn't want to witness it, it kinda hurts her. She walks aimlessly when a voice came through inside her head.

 

 

The way you would find out who's your admirer could be their in clothings. 

 

 

Chaeyoung said while she's fixing her shirt then she takes out her phone and shows a guy who is the partner in the movie who's wearing a polo sleeves with necktie with retro looking.

 

 

You should remember this outfit, Minari. This might be the way.

 

 

 

So she tries to look out some guys wearing that kind of outfit but she don't see anyone of it or it's quite hard to distinguish as it looks very casual. 

 

 

 

Mina gave up looking at them, situating herself at the side of the room full of people dancing in their heart's content. Thankfully, the girl whose dancing with Dahyun left her. Mina doesn't care about the mysterious admirer now, her goal tonight is to be with Dahyun again. She needs Dahyun in unexplainable reason.

 

 

 

 

Her hurried steps makes Dahyun turn around to face her. The latter give her signature smile and greeting then her messy mind decided to tackle the girl in a tight hug making Dahyun caught in surprise.

 

 

"M--Mi--"

 

 

"Dahyun... I don't care my mysterious admirer now. All I want now is to be with you. I don't know why is it like this but I hope it's okay with you..." 

 

 

Mina can feel tears welling on her eyes, she might not find her admirer but true to Tzuyu's words she might find love here, to know what love is. She can't find herself go. She wanted to be here, in Dahyun's arms only and nothing else. Amidst of these sensation all over her body, the loud hype music blasting on the big speakers replaced with a soft and slow tune enters then she felt something an object and skin on her ears as it played. 

 

 

 

Met by surprise, I didn't realize that my life would change forever...

 

 

 

Wait, what? I think this is---

 

 

 

 

Saw you standing there, I didn't know I cared there was something special in the air...

 

 

 

Oh my god, Dahyun... you didn't...

 

 

 

 

Dreams are my reality, the only kind of fantasy, illusions are common thing...

 

 

 

 

Mina pulled Dahyun more, taking her arms on the latter's neck as she nuzzled her face more.

 

 

 

I try to live in dreams it seems as if its meant to be....

 

 

Dreams are my reality, a different kind of reality...

 

 

Mina felt Dahyun pulled away, only holding her arms. Dahyun's eyes are also glossy but has a smile crept in her lips. Mina wants to cry too.

 

 

 

I dream of loving in the night, and loving seems alright although it's only fantasy....

 

 

 

Dahyun removes the little headset, placing it around on Mina's neck as she started to confess.

 

 

"I like you, Mina. It's lame, I know. I should have said it to you now since when we are together earlier but I have to do my promise in my letter."

 

 

"Promise?"

 

 

Dahyun nods, "It's not written there though but my promise is to let you listen my favorite song or a song that reminds me of you a lot."

 

 

 

"Reminds of me?"

 

 

"Yeah, besides the main character look like you, I think the song is about what I have felt for you. I've been always dreaming, Mina. I've been always dreaming to tell you how much I like you, the way you smile, the way you talk, the way you walk..."


Mina giggles on that, she remembers the letter. 


"My pengu walk?"


"Yes that walk, I love it so much..." Dahyun places a brief kiss on the side of Mina's head, earning an internal squeal from her.

 

"You’re amazing, Mina. More than amazing... You’re beautiful and smart and kind and caring and sweet…” she slowly enumerated, pausing between each adjective to drop a kiss on latter's hair, she pressed also her lips to each cheek, “And you’re very good at tolerating on my , annoying stories and jokes...." Dahyun added with a grin, leaning forward for a chaste kiss on Mina's lips.

 

Sweet smile etched in Mina's face. She couldn't believe how dumb she is when she realizes that Dahyun is talking about her. She could have notice it sooner so she didn't felt hurt all this time with the thoughts of Dahyun with someone else.

 

"Well... it's looks like we're in the same boat, Dahyun. I've been also dreaming.... this time I know the answer." Mina closes the gap  between them as she left a soft kiss on her lips taking Dahyun's breathe away this time, "This time, I want to be with you, in my dreams and reality. Everywhere you are, as long as I'm with you..."

 

 

 

Author's Note:

Leave a comment and vote! Happy Mihyun day, y'all! :D