THREE

The Wingman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hours later, the day's already over, and everyone's at their respective exit gates. The security guard stood near the exit with a megaphone in hand, calling out students whose fetchers were already there. Dozens of kids were on the playground, while others stayed at the benches to do some work. Some were chatting with their friends, and some were already out of the school. 

 

Dahyun looked over to the middle of the playground, and witnessed at least five kids doing somersaults on the grass. She held back a laugh, not failing to notice how ridiculous it looked from afar. One of them hits their head on a log, causing more chaos than there already was.

 

"—ere you even listening?"

 

Dahyun flinched, and turned her attention back to Chaeyoung, who had been rambling about her undying infatuation for the girl named Myoui Mina. Dahyun bit her inner cheek at the question. She nodded. Was she listening? Yes, of course she was. (No, she wasn't. But what was she supposed to say? "The rolling kids caught my attention, one hit her head and now they're fighting."? Of course not!)

 

Chaeyoung raised an eyebrow, displaying disbelief at the older girl. Her gaze was both suspicious and disbelieving, causing Dahyun to sigh deeply. "Fine, fine. You've got me. What were you saying?"

 

"Mina."

 

Dahyun rolled her eyes. Luckily Mina wasn't present now because if she was, then Chaeyoung would've been a stuttering mess already. "I know that. But what about her?"

 

"My growing crush on her?"

 

Of course.

 

Was she surprised? No, she wasn’t.

 

Dahyun could only nod. She didn’t know what else she could say except for one thing, “So are you gonna tell her about it? When are you planning on asking her about it? ”

 

This took Chaeyoung by surprise. One moment Dahyun didn’t even bother to spare a glance at the younger girl, the next moment she’s suddenly interested. “Well… no. I don’t know.”

 

“Eh? What do you mean?”

 

“I haven’t thought about it that far yet,” Chaeyoung confessed. The thought of telling Mina about her crush on her never passed through her mind. (Well, it did, but she never dared to do it.) She was only ever focused on how she could get rid of the stupid crush as soon as possible. “And even if I do, so what? She’s as straight as a ruler. She’ll probably just shrug it off. Nothing’s gonna happen either way, I might as well just forget about it.”

 

Dahyun’s head whipped towards her best friend. She frowned at the smaller girl, pointing an index finger to her chest. “Not on my watch, you won’t.”

 

“What?” it was now Chaeyoung’s turn to be confused. Was Dahyun saying what Chaeyoung thought she was saying? Dahyun rolled her eyes, now crossing her arms. “I’m gonna help you. Duh.”

 

The younger girl raised an eyebrow. “And how are you supposed to do that?” she asked. “You gonna cast a spell on her? Hypnotize her?” Chaeyoung scoffed, looking away from the pale girl. She’d already accepted the fact that she was never gonna be with Mina — ever. Mina was never gonna like her back, and that’s pretty much a fact that Chaeyoung’s known for a long time now. “Oh please, spare the clownery for yourself. It’s hopeless. I’m hopeless.”

 

“I bet my you aren’t!” 

 

“You don’t have an .” Chaeyoung deadpanned mercilessly.

 

Dahyun ignored the bashful comment. “Look, I know Mina. Yeah, sure, she’s as straight as her A’s, but we can’t be too sure, right?”

 

Chaeyou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter