Fragile

Beautiful Chaos
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“She was Mina's girlfriend.”


 

These are the words running through my head as I gaze down the window of our classroom. It has the impeccable view of the park where I first met Mina. I sighed as I remember the short but meaningful conversation I had with the said girl.

 

“Problems are something that only living people have, right?”

 

I wasn't sure what she meant back then. But now, it somehow makes sense. Was she implying that a part of her died when her loved one passed away?

 

I shook my head from my thoughts, it’s not ideal to just assume everything. And as if the universe could somehow read my mind, Jeongyeon and Mina walked by the park. Both girls were giggling about something. I let out a small smile when Mina lightly shoved Momo’s shoulder before letting out a contagious laugh.

 

Mina looks like anything out of the ordinary. The way she casually thumbs through her hair while smiling from ear to ear makes my heart leap in ways that I couldn't explain. Ironically, it also tugs a nerve in my heart knowing how beyond those twinkling eyes and humorous laugh, was something very fragile.


 

*


 

I looked at my wrist watch as I barge in the door of the classroom, 7:59 am. I breathe a sigh of relief as I settle down at my desk. I looked over at Momo who was busy reading a book by herself beside me. I was about to greet her when someone I overheard my classmates talking.

 

“Hey, look what I found in the library!”

 

“No way! Is that the class photobook from last year?”

 

“Yes! Mina’s ex should be right here.”

 

“Really? Let me see!”

 

“Oh, there she is.”

 

“She’s so pretty.”

 

“No wonder Mina fell for her.”

 

“She looks so joyful. Are you sure Momo is her sister?”

 

“Hey!

 

“We wouldn't be able to beat her then.”

 

“Yes because she's dead.”

 

How could some people be so insensitive? I looked over at Momo worriedly to look at her reaction but all I see is her perpetually cold face as she sits silently. Her book has now been discarded. I know she was trying so much to hold her emotion in. I sighed, I wish people are not afraid to show their true feelings.


 

*


 

Hours feels like seconds and it's already homeroom class. It was a very hectic day since we have to perform the day after tomorrow. Giving her a once over, Momo looks like she’s in a better shape now. Although I can’t help but to be worried so I check on her from time to time.

 

I know it was very unusual but Mina looks at her as if she was more than worried. As if there’s something deeper than the fact that she’s her dead lover’s sister.

 

I sighed. Looking at Mina, she’s likes to take care of everyone. I can't help but think if there's someone taking good care of her. Where does she run to when everything seems to be chasing her. I bit my lip, my heart was beating so fast. I wish I could be that person for Mina.

 

Our practice was finished after a couple of hours. I was still practically begging for the whole class to go over the song one more time but they were completely spent. I sighed and waved my hand as a sign they're allowed to go. I could say I was happily satisfied today except the time when Jihyo and Tzuyu kept teasing me about Mina.

 

“Mina is so cute,” JI hyo grinned, “She’s totally off key a few minutes ago. I can’t help but laugh while singing.”

 

“I know,” Tzuyu agreed, “But I have to say I am a little jealous Mina sings while looking at the notes Nayeon made,” she teased.

 

“Shut up!” I bowed my head, as I hid my crimson red cheeks.

 

I bid my goodbye to my friends before glancing at Momo who was packing her bags, ready to leave.

 

“Hey, Momo,” I said, shifting one foot from another.

 

“Hi,” Momo replied dismissively.

 

I scanned Momo’s face and I couldn't help but think that she looks pretty behind those thick glasses and fringe that almost cover half of her face. I wonder if Momo’s a split alike version of her sister. Does Mina care about her so much because she reminds her of her dead lover?

 

“Sorry, but do you need something? Because I have to go,” Momo added seizing me out of my thoughts and making me jump a little.

 

“Oh, sorry,” I shook my head, “But do you feel alot better now? I mean considering last time you fell from the-”

 

“If you're asking me if I would be able to still play. I would. Don't worry, Ms. Class president,” Momo replied, completely ignoring me as she rushed through the door. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. How Momo manages to be so emotionless all the time- not to mention keep her monotonous voice is beyond me.

 

I decided to shrug yet another rejection from the said girl, I thought maybe it’s time to drop the hopes of being friends with her.

 

So instead, I walked through the almost empty hallways of the campus to go to my locker. Until I heard the sudden drop of the rain from the window building. I immediately looked for my scarf and umbrella inside the locker. Thankfully, the umbrella was there but the latter wasn’t. I rushed to our classroom and sighed when I found it on my desk. I was about to turn around when I saw the photobook lying at the table near the door. The object of the commotion earlier this morning.

 

I scratched my forehead trying to debate with my logic. It’s never good to put your nose in other people's business. I bit my lip, a quick peek wouldn't hurt right? I succumbed to my temptation and dropped my bag beside me as I sat on my desk, both hands holding the book.

 

I curiously thumb through the pages. Looking over so many faces that I don't even recognize. I realized that every year, the school compiles different photos from every event. I smiled when I stumbled upon a photo of Jeongyeon holding a trophy, probably when she won the race during last year’s school festival. She was wearing a white shirt with blue track pants, a radiant beam plastered on her face.

 

I mentally kick myself when I realize I can't be distracted and can't take my time especially now. I just couldn't risk someone seeing me looking over the photobook. Not when I want Jihyo and Tzuyu to stop teasing me around Mina every chance they got.

 

With a rush, I went through the pages until I reached the class picture section of the book, “Hirai….Hirai…” I murmured looking over so many faces. Thinking that one of them is Mina’s dead lover.

 

“Class B,” someone said behind me and my heart nearly jumped out of my chest. I whipped my head and there Mina was, standing on the door frame. One hand leaning on the door, the other holding her messenger bag.

 

I quickly hid the photobook under the table. My face turned beet red realizing I got caught. Worse, it was Mina who caught me. Great. Just Great.

 

“I don't know what you're talking about,” I reasoned poorly.

 

Mina let out a low laugh, “Can I see it? I haven't seen it either.”

 

“Aren’t you going to scold me?”

 

I sat there awkwardly as Mina tried to approach me, “Why would I?”

 

She quickly grabbed a chair and sat in front of me. She leaned in with both her hands sitting on the desk. She cocked her head to the side. She was so close I could smell her perfume, is that jasmine? I mentally took note of that before my eyes stumbled upon the moles scattered on her face. I never knew there were a lot of them until now. There were small almost minute ones on her cheeks aside from the prominent ones on the bridge of her nose, and around her lips. Her lips.

 

I had to look away quickly as I was staring too much. I gulped before I fished the photobook I had hidden away.

 

Mina raised an eyebrow as a way to tease me and I looked down as I was already blushing profusely.

 

I let her go through the photobook as I watched intently. Finally, she stopped and tapped her finger on a certain photo of a short haired girl.

 

She was so pretty, the first thing I thought. I couldn't expect less really when she made Mina fall for her. And not when almost half of the school is envious of that fact.

 

“She’s beautiful,” I said, not looking away from the photo.

 

“I know. She's even more beautiful in person,” Mina replied, voice laced with sincerity.

 

“I knew you would say that,” I can't help but let out a low laugh, “Did you like her immediately?”

 

“I always knew her since we were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter