Danger, Panic, Urgency

Love, Like, Death.

 

Chapter 4~*

POV change

                I woke up to my alarm on my cell phone playing on full blast to Go Away by 2NE1. It was Saturday so I could sleep in as late as I liked, since I had no plans for today. I groaned from tiredness and rubbed my eyes to the all-blinding sun light that was streaming through my window, directly at my face. I forgot to close the blinds in my room! I turned off my alarm and slumped over to the washroom to prepare myself. Suddenly, my cell phone played my ringtone. With a toothbrush hanging out of my mouth, I quickly grabbed my cell to see who called. Quickly glancing at the clock on my bed side, I acknowledged that it was already 12:30. Sliding open my phone, a text message appeared.

                “Meet me at the park close to your house in an hour, okay? ^^” – Key oppa.

                I smiled to myself. Immediately, I replied him back, “Sure, oppa. Saranghae~” – Kim.

                I tossed my phone on my bed as I headed back to the washroom to continue my daily washroom duties. Wait, I thought I just saw something unfamiliar lying on my desk; an envelope? Why would there be an envelope on my desk, especially when I don’t recall myself putting it there? I shrugged it off, and finished brushing my teeth and everything I needed to do early in the morning. After washing my face clear of nighttime grogginess, I walked over to my desk to where an envelope left open was waiting for my arrival. Curiously, I picked it up.

                In front and on the back of the loose white envelope, there was nothing written on it… peculiar. Did someone break into my house? Someone must have, if they had placed this envelope on my desk… but who? This envelope wasn’t here when I called my brother last night. Gasping, I realized someone must have stalked into my room in the dead of night. Carefully, I opened the envelope and revealed a piece of clean white paper, crumpled several times – enough to soften the entire sheet into something as soft as tissue – and folded into four.

                Unfolding the paper, I read a message written dead center of the page. “You’re dead, Kim. – Z”

                I froze. It was Zico… but how on earth could he break into my house? And while I was asleep, I would expect him to kill me right then and there or at least me. Why leave a note to threaten me? ‘Stupid, idiot.’ I thought. I crumpled the paper, but stopped. I could show this to Key, as well as report Zico to the police! But what harm could it really do? Cho PD would probably pull that kid back out in a total of two hours. But there’s no harm in trying. I could try pleading to the police no never release him, whatever it takes. Zico is, after all, a murderer. Deciding on arresting Zico put a smile to my face. I pocketed the letter in my bag and began preparing myself for my meet with Key.

***

                Stopping at the park, I noticed the slim figure of my baby, sitting on a bench facing the playground and playing with his phone. In a split second, I got a text from him. “Kim, why are you late?!” it said. I chuckled, closing the phone and walking closer to him.

                “Yah! Key!” I waved wildly, while laughing. He looked up, clearly shocked at my sudden appearance. He ran over to me, but I decided to play around with him just a little. I started running away, and before you know it, we were playing our own game of tag around the park, with a few people staring at us with the sweetest smile anyone has seen. Someone stopped Key in the middle of our game to tell him what a cute couple we are. We bowed and thanked him, and we continued on in our little game.

                But Key was a fast runner, and soon enough, he caught up to me and jumped on me from behind, catching me by surprise. “Ah!” I yelped before he toppled me to the ground and tickling me when he landed on me. “Yah! Key!! Stop!” I laughed as I whammed my hands against his arms, trying to shove them away from me, but he was too strong. I ended up squirming and yelling under his diva wrath until finally, he stopped, laughing himself.

                “You’re mean.” I pouted at Key before turning the other way to fake anger.

                “Kim,” He whined. “I’m sorry!” He tugged my sleeve. He was responded with silence and a “Hmf.” from me. “Kim-ah!” He said more pleading, while trying to turn me around. I refused, knowing that simply by looking at him, I would easily give in; his charm was at fault. But Key suddenly came up with a different plan. Pulling me in, he hugged me and rested his head on my shoulder. He whispered in my ear, sending a brush of cool air past my neck, and causing me to shiver. “So you leave me with no choice.” I found myself being pulled by strong arms backwards, before I was trapped between his arms on a slide. His hands travelled downwards, towards my chest and suddenly I became nervous. Leaning in, he nibbled on my earlobe, just as his hands got to their longed destination, and began rubbing ever so gently.

All of a sudden, a grey haired ajhussi strolled down the road leading to towards the park and Key pulled his hands away immediately, stepped backwards a bit too quickly while accidently tripping over a rocking horse, and fell first into the sand. I stood up and began laughing and pointing at him. Never before has something this funny ever happened! He pouted and ran his hand through his hair. Standing up, he rubbed his injured bottom and took my hand. As we left, the same ajhussi looked at us and smiled. Bowing to us, he said to Key, “There’s a piece of paper stuck to your behind!” I looked and found a small unnoticeable piece of sticky note that had planted itself onto Key’s jeans when he fell backwards onto the sand. He brushed it off quickly, smiled at the ajhussi. “Kamsahamnida!” He bowed, and we all headed our separate directions. Key and I decided to head towards the café for something to eat, because we were starving.

                Ten minutes later, we stepped into Charlie Brown Café, both of our favorite café. Sitting down, we looked through the menu. After ordering our food, we began talking about school and the extensive amount of homework we’ve gotten every single day. For the rest of the time spent at the café, we laughed at the funny moments in our relationship.

                An hour later, Key had walked me to my house. As we stood at my porch, I recalled the envelope I had wanted to show him, with the crumpled letter still inside. “Ah, Key! I forgot to show you this. It appears someone snuck into my house last night, but instead of stealing something, killing or me, they left a note. And the initial is the letter ‘Z’. I think I already know who it is.”

                Taking the envelope, looked down at the crumpled note sticking out of the pocket, he pulled it out and read. His hands clenched the papers, but not hard enough to destroy the letter. “That’s unlike Zico to break in but not do anything… I don’t think he really is trying to harm you. It seems to me that he’s baiting someone, but whom? Kim, do you know of anyone, besides me, who know Zico?”

                I stalled, thinking back on all my friends. Suddenly, my thoughts fell on the phone conversation I had the night before with my brother, Ji Yong. I froze. No, why would Zico bait him? Ji Yong couldn’t have done anything that horrible to anger Zico, could he? Zico is extending this scheme far too much, he’s even using me! Knowing Zico, he would most likely kill Ji Yong. But my brother is just as strong as he is, maybe even stronger! I guess I don’t really need to worry, right? I sighed, turning to Key.

                Key was staring at me, waiting for my answer. “Well, Kim? Anyone?” he nudged me, clearly concerned. Maybe my expression was exaggerating my shock.

                “My oppa.” I mumbled, barely hearing what I had said myself.

                “We’re going to the police, and you are coming with me.” Key ordered, grabbing onto my wrist tightly. I complied. “We don’t want you getting kidnapped by anyone while I’m gone.” Key grumbled angrily. We hopped into his car and headed towards the police. Suspiciously, Key kept constantly glancing at his back mirror. Confused, I turned around to see what all the commotion was. Behind our car, there was a white car, with tinted windows.

                “Kim, don’t you find it peculiar that that car had been following us for the past 15 minutes, starting from the same street as your house?” Key said in a lower voice.

                I turned slowly, with wide eyes, and stared out at the car again. This time, the window was open. A hand stuck out, holding a gun. I turned quickly and screamed. Key jumped in his seat, but hearing my scream, he guessed the obvious.

                “Lie down in your seat. And whatever you do, do not move from that position.” Key spoke too calmly. He drove just a little faster before the first shot was fired, dead center of our back window. The window shattered, as the bullet flew right over our heads, followed by another bullet being fired, constantly at the same location.

                “People out on the streets are calling 9-1-1 now! They all fled, but I can see some of them calling the police! We’re almost there!” Key yelled over the loud gun shots. Slowly, the noise died down, and the car slowed. I sat up looking frantically to see what was going on. In the front seat, Key sat with a hand over his arm. It was a bit made by one of the passing bullets. The white care that was stalking us was nowhere to be found.